Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cordy Glenn
(01-30-2020, 04:14 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Just like most of us say one player can't do it all. Dalton is constantly given a pass because of the condition of the line, Green's absence, Run game, Ross's injury etc.. last year. Then you want to put a magnifying glass on a rookie and critique his development like those factors didn't effect his play. If your QB doesn't look for you or just ignores you like Dalton did to Tate, and Ross early in their careers then we shouldn't throw him under the bus. I believe a lot of personal stats will improve with Burrow.

Who is going to do that? I'm sure many consider me a Dalton homer because I attacked the things you listed, but my stance on that won't change with Burrow. Facts are facts. A QB needs a solid team and coaching to function at his best and compete for championships. Burrow is a better talent than Dalton, but that doesn't mean he can do it all by himself.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 03:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Too bad he got injured, would of been easier to evaluate his play. Hopefully he stays healthy this year and he becomes a
natural route runner and pass catcher for us. His blocking was damn good in college which is why I liked him. Thought 
Reggie Kelly was a good comparison but could be a better pass catcher if he is targeted more.

I was confused with the lack of targeting TE's last season. That and the lack of using Mixon in the passing game more.

You and me both. It was like a full blown air raid early on and it wasnt working at all. I'm just glad they figured it out. It says a good bit about ZT and Turner as well, that they adjusted and got the offense going after struggling so bad. We had an identity late in the season behind Mixon. I think he's going to get this figured out moving forward, and have a real franchise QB at the helm.
Reply/Quote
This is just a shot in the dark. I read an article that said that Kyle Rudolph is going to most likely going to be cap cut this off-season. I know he'd like to play here before he retires. Maybe he'll consider a team friendly deal...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 04:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Who is going to do that? I'm sure many consider me a Dalton homer because I attacked the things you listed, but my stance on that won't change with Burrow. Facts are facts. A QB needs a solid team and coaching to function at his best and compete for championships. Burrow is a better talent than Dalton, but that doesn't mean he can do it all by himself.

I just see so many on Sample when as you say one player can't do it all. Hopefully we will have a all-round better team next year. 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 05:41 PM)bengaloo Wrote: You and me both. It was like a full blown air raid early on and it wasnt working at all. I'm just glad they figured it out. It says a good bit about ZT and Turner as well, that they adjusted and got the offense going after struggling so bad. We had an identity late in the season behind Mixon. I think he's going to get this figured out moving forward, and have a real franchise QB at the helm.

Agree with you Bengaloo. The one thing to take from last season as a positive is the adjustment in playcalling and scheme as 
the season wore down. Marv believed adjustments were journalistic jargon. Taylor is young and can learn.

The other positive is we have the 1st overall pick and Joe Burrow is there for the taking.

We also have a lot of dough if we free up all these guy's salaries, Dalton, Glenn, Kirkpatrick and maybe even Green.

We trade some of these guys for more picks and the coaches continue to improve and we should be sitting much better next
season. Just get the O-line and LB's so we can make our weaknesses, strengths.

(01-30-2020, 06:51 PM)JSR18 Wrote: This is just a shot in the dark. I read an article that said that Kyle Rudolph is going to most likely going to be cap cut this off-season. I know he'd like to play here before he retires. Maybe he'll consider a team friendly deal...

Have heard of this myself. Would love to bring in Rudolph. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 01:35 PM)lone bengal Wrote: To your point about taking a tackle at the top of round 2. If the Bengals signed a good linebacker or lineman in free agency it would open things up at 33.  It seems like there leaning on drafting Burrow and then filling all there needs with picks 2-7 which is crazy. You figure 6th and 7th round picks typically don't even make the roster or are on average low impact players. So your banking on finding a quality RT, Guard, and at least one starting linebacker with picks 2-5. I didn't even include corner which is also a need. Factor in they haven't been able to draft a good linebacker in forever.

The first pick in 2 is like a round 1.  There will be a top Offensive Tackle on the board here.  

The first pick in 3 is like a round 2.   Mock drafts I see on ESPN, CBS show some very good talent at 4-3 LB or 4-2 LB here.  

There are often some good Guards still on board in rounds 4 and 5.   Also the first pick in 4 is like a round 3 and there could be a good WR, or a good TE or a good RB for depth behind Mixon.  I think we do well at top of 4 and 5. 

If in the top of 3 at around pick 65,  If we have QB Burrow, a Top Offensive Tackle and a Top 4-3 Linebacker,  I will be happy and there is no reason we can't get all this by around Pick 65. 

No, I'm not talking Free Agents because Glenn came here from Bills and has been a bust.  Plus Mike Brown says why should he pay big money for Blockers.  Often NFL teams don't let their Pro Bowl type Blockers go free agent, they lock them in.  So I feel the best Offensive Tackle TALENT will be that first pick in round 2 at pick 33.  Please people, do not tell me of other weak positions.  O Line is weakest in NFL.  You do NOT draft a Burrow and put him behind worst O Line in NFL.  That is a good way to get him killed early in his career.   If you take Burrow #1, you must take someone to Block for him #2.   We can still get a good LB because top of 3 is like a round 2.  The Blocker will help Mixon also. 

My hope here is Top Pick Jonah Williams healthy at Left Tackle, the Tackle we take at pick 33 at start of 2 is our Right Tackle and at least Burrow has some bookend Tackle blocking. At least it's a start in trying to fix the worst O line in NFL. They need to dump Glenn salary if contract is up. I don't look for AJ or Andy back and Glenn gone would just be more money in the honey pot in the major rebuild this team needs. Is this team keeping Eifert because he hasn't been a top TE in many years now ? Time to let players leave free agent and fill the honey pot with mega bucks for a team of players better than 2-14. Look, I'm not sold on Zac, but don't shackle him with Marvin players. Marvin is ancient history. Every coach needs to get new players to work his systems. Then if they still lose, you fire Zac.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 03:09 PM)kevin Wrote: The first pick in 2 is like a round 1.  There will be a top Offensive Tackle on the board here.  

The first pick in 3 is like a round 2.   Mock drafts I see on ESPN, CBS show some very good talent at 4-3 LB or 4-2 LB here.  

There are often some good Guards still on board in rounds 4 and 5.   Also the first pick in 4 is like a round 3 and there could be a good WR, or a good TE or a good RB for depth behind Mixon.  I think we do well at top of 4 and 5. 

If in the top of 3 at around pick 65,  If we have QB Burrow, a Top Offensive Tackle and a Top 4-3 Linebacker,  I will be happy and there is no reason we can't get all this by around Pick 65. 

No, I'm not talking Free Agents because Glenn came here from Bills and has been a bust.  Plus Mike Brown says why should he pay big money for Blockers.  Often NFL teams don't let their Pro Bowl type Blockers go free agent, they lock them in.  So I feel the best Offensive Tackle TALENT will be that first pick in round 2 at pick 33.  Please people, do not tell me of other weak positions.  O Line is weakest in NFL.  You do NOT draft a Burrow and put him behind worst O Line in NFL.  That is a good way to get him killed early in his career.   If you take Burrow #1, you must take someone to Block for him #2.   We can still get a good LB because top of 3 is like a round 2.  The Blocker will help Mixon also. 

My hope here is Top Pick Jonah Williams healthy at Left Tackle, the Tackle we take at pick 33 at start of 2 is our Right Tackle and at least Burrow has some bookend Tackle blocking. At least it's a start in trying to fix the worst O line in NFL. They need to dump Glenn salary if contract is up. I don't look for AJ or Andy back and Glenn gone would just be more money in the honey pot in the major rebuild this team needs. Is this team keeping Eifert because he hasn't been a top TE in many years now ? Time to let players leave free agent and fill the honey pot with mega bucks for a team of players better than 2-14. Look, I'm not sold on Zac, but don't shackle him with Marvin players. Marvin is ancient history. Every coach needs to get new players to work his systems. Then if they still lose, you fire Zac.

At what pick do we stop considering the pick to be a pick from the previous round?

This line of thinking is silly to me. The 33rd pick is a second round pick.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 03:09 PM)kevin Wrote: The first pick in 2 is like a round 1.  There will be a top Offensive Tackle on the board here.  

My hope here is Top Pick Jonah Williams healthy at Left Tackle,  the Tackle we take at pick 33 at start of 2 is our Right Tackle and at least Burrow has some bookend Tackle blocking.   At least it's a start in trying to fix the worst O line in NFL.   They need to dump Glenn salary if contract is up.  I don't look for AJ or Andy back and Glenn gone would just be more money in the honey pot in the major rebuild this team needs.  Is this team keeping Eifert because he hasn't been a top TE in many years now ?  Time to let players leave free agent and fill the honey pot with mega bucks for a team of players better than 2-14.  Look, I'm not sold on Zac, but don't shackle him with Marvin players.  Marvin is ancient history.  Every coach needs to get new players to work his systems.  Then if they still lose, you fire Zac.

I have 7 offensive tackles going in the first round and my 8th has a mid 3rd round grade.   I don't see any worthy of the top 2nd round pick, but that just depends on how it plays out.  The last thing I want to do is getting a shitty tackle like Austin Jackson just because we have a need.  I would much rather draft the top guard or a center if that's the case.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 06:51 PM)JSR18 Wrote: This is just a shot in the dark. I read an article that said that Kyle Rudolph is going to most likely going to be cap cut this off-season. I know he'd like to play here before he retires. Maybe he'll consider a team friendly deal...

Why does Kyle Rudolph wanna play for the Bengals?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Cut him or trade him,he has a long history of being injured.Seldom healthy.I like this Johnson guy they stole from the Steelers a while back.I think he could fit in nicely.The guy is huge.He played well,he’s young,and could really be something special.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2020, 11:44 PM)jason Wrote: Why does Kyle Rudolph wanna play for the Bengals?

Well, he’s from here, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’d want to play for the Bengals.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2020, 11:44 PM)jason Wrote: Why does Kyle Rudolph wanna play for the Bengals?

The question is why would the Bengals want Kyle Rudolph?
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 12:27 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The question is why would the Bengals want Kyle Rudolph?

Hell, his 6 TD’s would have led the Bengals last season...lol

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 12:32 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hell, his 6 TD’s would have led the Bengals last season...lol

Yeah ,those six tds would have carried us to the SB. If he was benched for a undrafted FA he isn't going to be any help for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote

WhoDey2 Because he was born and raised here... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 03:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Too bad he got injured, would of been easier to evaluate his play. Hopefully he stays healthy this year and he becomes a
natural route runner and pass catcher for us. His blocking was damn good in college which is why I liked him. Thought 
Reggie Kelly was a good comparison but could be a better pass catcher if he is targeted more.

I was confused with the lack of targeting TE's last season. That and the lack of using Mixon in the passing game more.

Sign 2 TEs, draft another in the 2nd round... use none of them.   Cool

- - - - - - - -

I was never a fan of the Zac Taylor signing seeing as how he was a QB coach who failed horrible at OC in college. (And now we've seen what happens when a QB he coaches gets a REAL OC in Tannehill.)

The Cardinals game is when I went from not liking the hiring to knowing that the Bengals will never do anything successful as long as he's calling the plays. They came into that game with all of their TEs healthy, and the Cardinals came into that game with the 32nd ranked defense against TEs.

The Bengals didn't target a TE even once for the first THIRTY FIVE MINUTES of the game.

There's no "improving" from that. You don't get a pass for being a rookie HC. It's common freaking sense that 99% of people sitting on the couch can tell you. If they are the worst in the league at defending TEs, you should throw to your TEs. You either have that very low level of common sense or you don't. Taylor doesn't. So he's hopeless as a play caller.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

A good example of this (or the inverse of this) was the Miami game.  The TEs were responsible for 13 targets, 8 receptions, 94 yards, and two TDs.  Mixon had two nice receptions for 23 yards.  The Miami game was their greatest offensive output on the season.  

There were any number of games where it supported your statement:

Against pitt:  TEs were targeted twice, and had 1 reception for 7 yards.  10 points for the game. 
Against Baltimore:  TEs were targeted 5 times, had 4 receptions, and 39 yards.  17 points for the game. 
Against Browns:  TEs were targeted 6 times, had 53 yards.  19 points for the game.

This, and Dalton wasn't having just 25 attempts per game.  He was averaging in the mid-30s.  
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 12:27 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The question is why would the Bengals want Kyle Rudolph?

Yeah Rudolph dosen't make sense they just drafted Sample in round 2 and extended Uzomah. I don't want to dump more money into the TE position when we have so many other holes on the roster to fill. 
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 06:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sign 2 TEs, draft another in the 2nd round... use none of them.   Cool

- - - - - - - -

I was never a fan of the Zac Taylor signing seeing as how he was a QB coach who failed horrible at OC in college. (And now we've seen what happens when a QB he coaches gets a REAL OC in Tannehill.)

The Cardinals game is when I went from not liking the hiring to knowing that the Bengals will never do anything successful as long as he's calling the plays. They came into that game with all of their TEs healthy, and the Cardinals came into that game with the 32nd ranked defense against TEs.

The Bengals didn't target a TE even once for the first THIRTY FIVE MINUTES of the game.

There's no "improving" from that. You don't get a pass for being a rookie HC. It's common freaking sense that 99% of people sitting on the couch can tell you. If they are the worst in the league at defending TEs, you should throw to your TEs. You either have that very low level of common sense or you don't. Taylor doesn't. So he's hopeless as a play caller.

I remember feeling the exact same way in that game.

Why the hell aren't they attacking the weakness of the Cards?

We need to let someone else call the plays, simple as that.

(02-03-2020, 10:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: A good example of this (or the inverse of this) was the Miami game.  The TEs were responsible for 13 targets, 8 receptions, 94 yards, and two TDs.  Mixon had two nice receptions for 23 yards.  The Miami game was their greatest offensive output on the season.  

There were any number of games where it supported your statement:

Against pitt:  TEs were targeted twice, and had 1 reception for 7 yards.  10 points for the game. 
Against Baltimore:  TEs were targeted 5 times, had 4 receptions, and 39 yards.  17 points for the game. 
Against Browns:  TEs were targeted 6 times, had 53 yards.  19 points for the game.

This, and Dalton wasn't having just 25 attempts per game.  He was averaging in the mid-30s.  

Great post, you can pass the ball a lot and still be successful but the key is to try and stay balanced while doing so.

You can use a pass as a run when you are passing to the RB or TE on Screens, Slants, In Routes etc.

It is what Lamar Jackson was doing all year and he won the MVP award for it.

Along with his running of course.

TE's are the biggest targets on the field, target them if they have good hands. Our TE's have good hands.

Mixon and Gio are natural Receiving RB's, target them especially when your #1 Receiver is hurt and others are hurt.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 03:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I remember feeling the exact same way in that game.

Why the hell aren't they attacking the weakness of the Cards?

We need to let someone else call the plays, simple as that.

Great post, you can pass the ball a lot and still be successful but the key is to try and stay balanced while doing so.

You can use a pass as a run when you are passing to the RB or TE on Screens, Slants, In Routes etc.

It is what Lamar Jackson was doing all year and he won the MVP award for it.

Along with his running of course.

TE's are the biggest targets on the field, target them if they have good hands. Our TE's have good hands.

Mixon and Gio are natural Receiving RB's, target them especially when your #1 Receiver is hurt and others are hurt.

It is mystifying some of the offense play selections and the comments earlier about Dalton now having the pass rush in his head isn't just falling on the lack of protection, but he had a stable of targets that did not get quick separation. Ross had an amazing game against the Seahawks, and here I am dreaming about how now teams will be playing so far off him,  they will attack with short screens and crossing routes.  Never happened.  Dalton would appear to hold on to the ball too long because he didn't have any phone-booth quick guys that gave him a good target.  So many passes were contested.  Couple that with an offense designed to get the ball out quick, and you have a recipe for disaster.

They still need a WR that has very good short space quickness.  I thought this was going to be Gio, but it appears not.  
Reply/Quote