Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cordy Glenn
(01-28-2020, 12:04 PM)spazz70 Wrote: So last year he was inserted at LG with Williams at LT making possibly a formidable left side of the line..  he has a high salary but we have a low salary LT with, hopefully, Jonah coming back healthy.  IF Glenn is still wanting to play would this option be open again this year?  Draft a RT and the only open spot would maybe be RG.....  Thoughts?

My hopes we high on Preston Brown and Cordy Glenn from Buffalo Bills at high salaries.  What Flops they have been.   Meanwhile play-off Bills are better without them. So shall we be.  If Glenns contract is up and if they don't have to resign him, Via Con Dios Muchacho.  The dude is always injured.  So far, so is Jonah.  What a name for future high hopes, a Jonah, but I'm hoping he is good. We need it after the flops of Og, Fish and Glenn and so far Price. It would help if Price can play guard and back-up center, Urban Meyer said he was great.

Also Mike Brown of both Max Montoya and Zeitler said, "  Why should I pay a lot of money for a guard ".   At least we knew they could play guard.  Often injured Glenn is unproven at guard, plus he is always injured.   It would be silly for Mike Brow to pay big money for injury list Glenn at guard after not paying Montoya or Zeitler.   

Yes, draft a Tackle at top of 2, almost a round 1 Tackle at pick 33 in the draft.   Take a 4-3 linebacker top of 3 almost like a round 2 LB.   But we can do better than Glenn and he can't make the club in the tub, always injured. 

My hopes are high on rebuilding this team, but the two we got from The Bills were Lousy.   Accept It, Adjust, and Move On. 

IF we draft the much needed Tackle, that guy we got from Giants becomes a possible guard again. Hart. I didn't think much of him in 2018. Still, he is in the mix. I'm all for drafting a guard from rounds 5 to 7. We need an early Tackle pick and a late Guard pick. WE NEED BLOCKING. This is still THE WORST O Line in NFL. Amazing how much better the plays would look if we had BLOCKING.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 12:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Burrow is stuck here for At least 5 years and maybe some franchise tag years no matter what, so I dont think he has any options even if he wanted to air grievances. 

As for Cordy, I know he had injury issues when we traded for him but did he have attitude/effort issues too?

You know that's false. He could refuse to sign his rookie contract like what Eli Manning did.
Obviously, it's been reported through his father that he wouldn't do this, but opinions can change between now and the draft.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 01:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You know that's false. He could refuse to sign his rookie contract like what Eli Manning did.
Obviously, it's been reported through his father that he wouldn't do this, but opinions can change between now and the draft.

Right, he's not going to do anything drastic so MB has Burrow locked down for the next 5+ years regardless of what he does to show he gives a toss about winning.  I'm just responding to this notion that Mike Brown has to convince Burrow that he is going to do anything in free agency, and so on.  Burrow is years away from having any sort of sway over how things are done here unless Mike Brown gives it to him.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 01:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You know that's false. He could refuse to sign his rookie contract like what Eli Manning did.

My hopes are Burrow,  then an Offensive Tackle to start 2 like a 1,  then a LB to start 3 like a 2,  then a WR or TE to start 4 like a 3, then an Offensive Guard to start 5 like a 4.  ...We don't score any points....Burrow and 2 new Blockers will get more out of Mixon, Boyd, Ross and others. ....The idea SHOULD be to score points.  Bengals just don't and Today's NFL the rules are set for high scoring games, but not with our O Line disaster since 2017. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 01:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Right, he's not going to do anything drastic so MB has Burrow locked down for the next 5+ years regardless of what he does to show he gives a toss about winning.  I'm just responding to this notion that Mike Brown has to convince Burrow that he is going to do anything in free agency, and so on.  Burrow is years away from having any sort of sway over how things are done here unless Mike Brown gives it to him.

I think the continued lack to change approach has just really gotten to me after already seeing Hobson talk about the same approach as always.
I might secretly be hoping that Burrow would refuse to play if the Bengals didn't change their ways.
I've already stopped going to and even watching games to try to hope the organization takes notice (lower attendance and viewership).
Can't think of much else more to do to try to convey lack of satisfaction with this team hoping it will fuel change.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Was very excited when Bengals added Glenn to roster.

But it just has never worked out and it is time to go different directions as fast as we can.

With 9.5 Million saved, very good chance a better player could be added in FA instead of Glenn.

Seems way too easy of a move. Then when factoring in his issues the cake is iced and it becomes a no brainer immediately.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 01:09 PM)kevin Wrote: My hopes we high on Preston Brown and Cordy Glenn from Buffalo Bills at high salaries.  What Flops they have been.   Meanwhile play-off Bills are better without them. So shall we be.  If Glenns contract is up and if they don't have to resign him, Via Con Dios Muchacho.  The dude is always injured.  So far, so is Jonah.  What a name for future high hopes, a Jonah, but I'm hoping he is good.  We need it after the flops of Og, Fish and Glenn and so far Price.  It would help if Price can play guard and back-up center, Urban Meyer said he was great.  

Also Mike Brown of both Max Montoya and Zeitler said, "  Why should I pay a lot of money for a guard ".   At least we knew they could play guard.  Often injured Glenn is unproven at guard, plus he is always injured.   It would be silly for Mike Brow to pay big money for injury list Glenn at guard after not paying Montoya or Zeitler.   

Yes, draft a Tackle at top of 2, almost a round 1 Tackle at pick 33 in the draft.   Take a 4-3 linebacker top of 3 almost like a round 2 LB.   But we can do better than Glenn and he can't make the club in the tub, always injured. 

My hopes are high on rebuilding this team, but the two we got from The Bills were Lousy.   Accept It, Adjust, and Move On. 

To your point about taking a tackle at the top of round 2. If the Bengals signed a good linebacker or lineman in free agency it would open things up at 33.  It seems like there leaning on drafting Burrow and then filling all there needs with picks 2-7 which is crazy. You figure 6th and 7th round picks typically don't even make the roster or are on average low impact players. So your banking on finding a quality RT, Guard, and at least one starting linebacker with picks 2-5. I didn't even include corner which is also a need. Factor in they haven't been able to draft a good linebacker in forever.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 01:32 PM)kevin Wrote: My hopes are Burrow,  then an Offensive Tackle to start 2 like a 1,  then a LB to start 3 like a 2,  then a WR or TE to start 4 like a 3, then an Offensive Guard to start 5 like a 4.  ...We don't score any points....Burrow and 2 new Blockers will get more out of Mixon, Boyd, Ross and others. ....The idea SHOULD be to score points.  Bengals just don't and Today's NFL the rules are set for high scoring games, but not with our O Line disaster since 2017. 

I agree with that approach, but I'm not confident in the depth of this LB class. I wouldn't have any confidence that a 3rd round LB this year would be able to improve over starting Pratt and Vigil (assuming he re-signs).

If the Bengals address any area in FA this offseason, my first priority would be LB.
I'd then look to do 1-2 OL.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 01:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think the continued lack to change approach has just really gotten to me after already seeing Hobson talk about the same approach as always.
I might secretly be hoping that Burrow would refuse to play if the Bengals didn't change their ways.
I've already stopped going to and even watching games to try to hope the organization takes notice (lower attendance and viewership).
Can't think of much else more to do to try to convey lack of satisfaction with this team hoping it will fuel change.

I hear ya, but unless Mike Brown drafts a QB in each round or trades all of our non-Burrow picks to Pittsburgh for their 9th string LG Burrow is going to look like an ultra cancer diva if he doesn't tow/toe the company line.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 01:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Right, he's not going to do anything drastic so MB has Burrow locked down for the next 5+ years regardless of what he does to show he gives a toss about winning.  I'm just responding to this notion that Mike Brown has to convince Burrow that he is going to do anything in free agency, and so on.  Burrow is years away from having any sort of sway over how things are done here unless Mike Brown gives it to him.

Right.

I think a few in here are either new, or got their hands on some of that super-wacky-tobacky !
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 01:39 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Right.

I think a few in here are either new, or got their hands on some of that super-wacky-tobacky !

I get it, it's fandom and optimism and all that and I'm buying into Burrow but we saw this last year with ZT.  As soon as we picked Sample people were like "Holy crap....great pick....great TE and ZT forced Mike Brown to pick him!"  Ok, that may be exaggerating a bit, but I'm viewing the idea of Joe Burrow kicking the door to Mike Brown's office in and being the only QB we've had in the past 30 years who gives a crap about winning and holding Mike Brown at gunpoint and making him run this team like he gives a crap with the same skeptical eye.

I just enjoy the people-watching aspect of fandom.  Last season we were going to take the NFL by storm because while the other teams were running their mouths we were calm and quiet and confident and under the radar.  One year later Joe Burrow and his "I'm already a champion" swagger is going to be the key to taking the league by storm.  Fair enough.
Reply/Quote

Burrow has a lot of power right now in his situation he can easily say  he won't sign with the Bengals if they draft him. Yes I know what him and his family have said but people change their minds. Especially after they talk to Mike Brown.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
For Glenn I say trade him or release but use that money on an actual player.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 01:46 PM)J24 Wrote: Burrow has a lot of power right now in his situation he can easily say  he won't sign with the Bengals if they draft him. Yes I know what him and his family have said but people change their minds. Especially after they talk to Mike Brown.

I have to admit it would be interesting seeing the complete 180 Bengals fans would do about the cocky "next Ryan Leaf" that is Joe Burrow if that happens, but I just don't see it happening.  I will say if Burrow did sign here and eventually want out that fans may actually side with him over Mike Brown.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 01:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I agree with that approach, but I'm not confident in the depth of this LB class. I wouldn't have any confidence that a 3rd round LB this year would be able to improve over starting Pratt and Vigil (assuming he re-signs).

If the Bengals address any area in FA this offseason, my first priority would be LB.
I'd then look to do 1-2 OL.

Agree plus we've had the worse defense in the league the last two years one rookie defensive player this season won't change that they need to use free agency to upgrade. 
Reply/Quote
Depending on Draft, Move Glenn to LG and draft Kindley/Hennessey or Throckmorton to play RG.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 01:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I get it, it's fandom and optimism and all that and I'm buying into Burrow but we saw this last year with ZT.  As soon as we picked Sample people were like "Holy crap....great pick....great TE and ZT forced Mike Brown to pick him!"  Ok, that may be exaggerating a bit, but I'm viewing the idea of Joe Burrow kicking the door to Mike Brown's office in and being the only QB we've had in the past 30 years who gives a crap about winning and holding Mike Brown at gunpoint and making him run this team like he gives a crap with the same skeptical eye.

I just enjoy the people-watching aspect of fandom.  Last season we were going to take the NFL by storm because while the other teams were running their mouths we were calm and quiet and confident and under the radar.  One year later Joe Burrow and his "I'm already a champion" swagger is going to be the key to taking the league by storm.  Fair enough.

I remember the Sample pick. I'm no draft guru by any means, but I think I do a good enough job looking into prospects at positions of need to at least recognize most of the common names through the draft. And if I have to go, "WHO?!" when someone is drafted, that's not typically a good sign.

I said, "WHO?!" when Sample was picked.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 09:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Talked to Joe Thuney's folks at Kroger the other day and told them how I am working on the Bengals to try to sign Joseph.  They laughed, thinking I was kidding, but they did say "we would love that".  

Get Thuney and either a draft pick to push Hart at RT by Fred Johnson.  Johnson did pretty well in his limited opportunity at LT last year, and is built like a RT.  I would rather, as many have said, go after a guy like Thuney for the RG position and Whit at the LG position than invest any money in Glenn for any spot on the line.  

I remember reading somewhere that Taylor emphasizes the middle of the offensive line and I can't think of one that might be better, and relatively affordable, than Whit-Hopkins-Thuney.  Have Williams at LT, Hart and Johnson battle it out at RT, and draft another OT to develop.  

That is cool you talked to Thuney's folks. I like your plan SHRacer...

LT - Jonah Williams
LG - Whitworth
C - Hopkins
RG - Joe Thuney
RT - Fred Johnson, Hart, early Draft pick

(01-29-2020, 09:38 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I would tend to agree with that statement.  If you look back at the Rams' offensive success in 2018, their interior OL was quite dominate.  After losing Roger Saffold in free agency, the Rams OL just didn't have it's same effectiveness, while Tennessee's OL added Saffold and D Henry tore up the league.

Just follow the success. Sounds pretty clear cut.

(01-29-2020, 11:52 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Yeah Hobson stated he thinks the Bengals made their moves on the offensive line with the signings of O'Shea Dugas , Isiah Prince and Fred Johnson lol.  He basically shutdown any talk of them signing significant free agent players.  Tobin and the Bengals must tell Hobson what to say because there’s no way a rational football fan believes these moves are significant enough to upgrade the roster. They’ve had the worse defense in the league the last two seasons a couple of rookies and signings like B.W Webb won’t change that. Dugas and Price are bottom of the roster guys and Johnson sample size is way to small , plus we have a chance to upgrade at the guard  position.

Eh, just ignore Hobspin man. The last time we got a 1st overall pick and were bringing in a QB we made moves in FA
that helped out Carson Palmer. I think we will do the same again for Joe Burrow.

(01-29-2020, 12:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If you're Joe Burrow, wouldn't you be paying attention to how the Bengals address FA this year before the draft starts?
Not only does Burrow need to put a good impression on the Bengals but the Bengals need to indicate to Joe that they are serious about building a contender quickly.

Most certainly.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 02:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I remember the Sample pick. I'm no draft guru by any means, but I think I do a good enough job looking into prospects at positions of need to at least recognize most of the common names through the draft. And if I have to go, "WHO?!" when someone is drafted, that's not typically a good sign.

I said, "WHO?!" when Sample was picked.

I had Sample in one of my mocks, in the 4th round I grant you.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 03:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I had Sample in one of my mocks, in the 4th round I grant you.

He wasn't on my radar because I wasn't seeing him talked about as a pass-catching TE at all nor did he have any decent pass-catching stats in college. I sure didn't think they'd go for someone so green as a pass catcher so early. Sample seemed like a Rd 5 pick at the earliest.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote