Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.29 Average
Coronavirus Information...who do you trust?
Reminder that DJT screwed this six ways to Sunday and blamed everyone else.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
He actively worked to block the people who knew what they were talking about.  Either he's stupid or he just thought he could PR he way out of a pandemic.

Probably both.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/12/the-sad-new-details-of-how-trump-sabotaged-the-countrys-response-to-covid.html

Quote:Republicans are attacking the White House with a new talking point: More Americans have died of COVID-19 under Joe Biden’s presidency, they point out, than under Donald Trump’s. Mathematically, that’s true. When Trump left office, the U.S. death toll was around 400,000 people; now it’s above 800,000. The comparison is misleading for many reasons, however. One is that Biden has been dealt two new variants, Delta and Omicron, that spread more aggressively than the original Wuhan virus did. Furthermore, while Biden has begged Americans to get vaccinated, Republican politicians have constantly undermined him by banning or blocking vaccine mandates.

But there’s another crucial difference between the two administrations, and it’s outlined in a new report from the House Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis. Trump’s administration, unlike Biden’s, deliberately sabotaged the nation’s response to the pandemic.

The report, issued on Friday, documents multiple channels of interference by Trump and his underlings. To begin with, the White House shut down public briefings by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. On Feb. 25, 2020, Nancy Messonnier, the CDC official in charge of respiratory diseases, warned Americans that a pandemic was coming and that they should prepare for school and workplace closures. Trump responded by threatening to fire her. For months thereafter, the White House refused to authorize CDC briefings. In transcribed interviews, CDC officials told the subcommittee that in April 2020, the White House rejected the agency’s request to hold a briefing to present the scientific case for wearing masks. Instead, Trump delivered his own COVID briefing, at which he said of masks: “You don’t have to do it. I’m choosing not to do it.” That statement and others, according to CDC officials who spoke to the subcommittee, gravely undermined the agency’s efforts to control the pandemic.

Second, the White House altered CDC guidance to religious congregations, deleting recommendations to wear masks and take other precautions. In a May 2020 email obtained by the committee, Jay Butler, a CDC official, reported that the White House had stripped out crucial elements of the guidance. “All references to face coverings are missing in the WH version,” Butler wrote. In addition, he noted, “References to considering virtual events are absent from the WH version.”

Third, the administration tried to limit COVID testing in order to hide the extent of the pandemic and keep businesses open. At a political rally on June 20, 2020, Trump said he had told “my people” to “slow the testing down.” He later claimed that he was half-joking, but the report found evidence that in subsequent months, Trump’s people tried to do exactly as he had instructed. On Aug. 24, 2020, the administration changed CDC’s guidance to say that most people who didn’t have COVID symptoms shouldn’t get tested, even if they had been exposed to a known carrier. An Aug. 27, 2020, email from Paul Alexander, an advisor to the Department of Health and Human Services, explained that the guidance had been altered because tests of asymptomatic people, if they came out positive, would end up “preventing the workforce from working,” and “widespread testing of schools and colleges/universities” would “not allow them to optimally re-open.”

Fourth, from September 2020 to January 2021, the White House ignored urgent entreaties from its COVID task force coordinator, Dr. Deborah Birx. She told the subcommittee that during these months, she had repeatedly circulated internal reports pleading for more promotion of mask use, better access to monoclonal infusion and other therapies, immediate provision of vaccines to elderly people based on “compassionate use,” and “aggressive testing” to find and alert carriers before they infected others. By comparing states that implemented such measures to those that didn’t, Birx estimated that if her pleas had been heeded, fatalities could have been reduced by 30 percent to 40 percent.

The report also details other ways in which the White House impeded or corrupted the public health response. Trump’s political appointees tried to pressure the Food and Drug Administration to authorize hydroxychloroquine and other ineffective therapies. And early in the pandemic, when Americans faced a dangerous shortage of masks, a White House adviser, Steven Hatfill, rebuffed opportunities to get them overseas. In an email on March 27, 2020, a volunteer on the administration’s pandemic response team asked Hatfill: “Are you interested in talking to people who have or say they have large numbers (hundreds of thousands or millions) of N95 or KN95 mask available from abroad?” Hatfill wrote back: “Nothing that is not US based.” Two weeks later, the volunteer offered to connect Hatfill to a “US based sewing company that has manufacturing capacity in Mexico and Central America.” Hatfield replied that masks had to be “US made.”

Trump was directly involved in much of the administration’s malfeasance, as investigations by news organizations have previously revealed. But the subcommittee report links to emails, transcripts, and other documents that show how the president’s anti-mask, anti-testing rhetoric was translated into policy and magnified the death toll. There’s no evidence of such corruption in the Biden administration. On the contrary, Biden has implored the public to get vaccinated or mask up, while Republican politicians have undermined him by prohibiting mask mandates and suing to block his vaccine mandates. So let’s be clear about why so many Americans have needlessly died in the past two years. One party has been pressing the brakes on COVID-19. The other has been pressing the accelerator.
Reply/Quote
Just thought I'd drop this here...

People I work with (who are generally dismissive of Covid precautions) criticized me for going to New Orleans for Christmas vacation.

We are watching the news here and they are freaking out over having 1,729 new cases in the state.

Ohio set a new record with 12,502 new cases.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
[Image: 08c0678b3c0b26e9dc866bca2e36e8b5.jpg][Image: 12af1a6e995766841a110a28e5ef4b4d.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Remember when Ted Cruz said this was a media exaggeration and it would disappear after the 2020 election? How do you say something that stupid and stay employed?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 03:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Remember when Ted Cruz said this was a media exaggeration and it would disappear after the 2020 election? How do you say something that stupid and stay employed?

Be a Republican politician.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 06:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Be a Republican politician.

Aren’t republican politicians mirroring the general sentiments of their constituents? Guess the gutting of the education system 30+ yrs ago played out well.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 07:58 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Aren’t republican politicians mirroring the general sentiments of their constituents? Guess the gutting of the education system 30+ yrs ago played out well.

All of the stuff about "teaching kids what to think" that they have been complaining about is almost entirely made up of curriculum designed to teach our children to think critically about things. The GOP doesn't want that because thinking critical about our country just means they will realize how full of shit our politicians, especially the GOP, have been. An uneducated public is easier to fool.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 08:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: All of the stuff about "teaching kids what to think" that they have been complaining about is almost entirely made up of curriculum designed to teach our children to think critically about things. The GOP doesn't want that because thinking critical about our country just means they will realize how full of shit our politicians, especially the GOP, have been. An uneducated public is easier to fool.

CRT is racist!!

Defend our confederate monuments.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 08:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: All of the stuff about "teaching kids what to think" that they have been complaining about is almost entirely made up of curriculum designed to teach our children to think critically about things. The GOP doesn't want that because thinking critical about our country just means they will realize how full of shit our politicians, especially the GOP, have been. An uneducated public is easier to fool.

Sad thing is I think that was the goal when they attacked teachers and teach unions and then went after curriculum but now too many of them are dumbed down themselves and really believe it. 
Reply/Quote
Often someone can be really good at one thing and not so good at others.

Aaron Rodgers is a great QB...but please don't take your medical advice from him.

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/587586-aaron-rodgers-blasts-nfl-covid-19-protocols-its-a-two-class

Quote:Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who took flack for catching COVID-19 after falsely implying he'd been vaccinated, criticized the NFL on Tuesday over its coronavirus policies.

The 38-year-old, in an appearance on "The Pat McAfee Show" on YouTube, questioned why there were different rules for unvaccinated players.

"What I don’t understand, it makes no sense to me to continue to spread this narrative that nonvaccinated players are more dangerous or these superspreaders," Rodgers said.
[/url]SEE MORE
"I don’t understand why there is still this two-class system that exists in our league," added Rodgers, who tested positive for the coronavirus on Nov. 3.

"There’s not many unvaccinated guys left in the league, but it's obviously not a pandemic of the unvaccinated. It doesn’t make sense to me we're still punishing nonvaccinated players."

However, the reigning NFL MVP added that "my thoughts are just my own opinion on this matter," before saying that he believes he contracted the virus "probably with an interaction with a vaccinated person who had COVID." 

In a previous appearance on "The Pat McAfee Show" in November, Rodgers said the "[url=https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/580302-aaron-rodgers-says-hes-in-crosshairs-of-woke-mob]woke mob
" was targeting him following his positive test for the coronavirus after he failed to get vaccinated.

NFL chief medical officer Allen Sills said last week that symptomatic players are driving the spread of COVID-19 in the league. He told ESPN that asymptomatic players are not responsible for the transmission of the disease from what he has observed this season. 

The NFL has loosened testing requirements for fully vaccinated players who are not showing COVID-19 symptoms, nixing the weekly testing mandate for those players.

As of Dec. 15, 94.6 percent of NFL players and nearly 100 percent of league personnel were vaccinated.

He's learned nothing about the vaccine since the last time when he was caught lying about his own status.
Reply/Quote
I was at my Dr.'s appointment yesterday at the hospital for what is now thankfully a 3-4 week checkup in my post bone marrow transplant recovery from July. Anyways I asked about when I can get my Covid shots, and unfortunately it wont be for at least a month or two due to this prescription I am on. But then he mentioned just keep doin what I was doing (in terms of staying in and not being around people), because the beds there at the hospital are pretty much filled up due to Covid. Then mentioned a couple of other hospitals in Cincy area that are filled, and the others are filling fast.

Pretty scary stuff, especially for those of us whose immune systems are compromised. I mean I would be extremely pissed if I had to go to the hospital for something legit or Covid even, and rooms are taken up by people that chose not to be vaccinated and wear masks when they are medically capable of doing so.

Anyways stay safe out there New Years eve. Best advice by the actual intelligent folks out there is to stay home for NYE, or in a close knit group where everyone is vaccinated and not showing signs of being sick. But this wont happen overall unfortunately as bars/restaurants will be packed for the games and partying.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2021, 04:44 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I was at my Dr.'s appointment yesterday at the hospital for what is now thankfully a 3-4 week checkup in my post bone marrow transplant recovery from July. Anyways I asked about when I can get my Covid shots, and unfortunately it wont be for at least a month or two due to this prescription I am on. But then he mentioned just keep doin what I was doing (in terms of staying in and not being around people), because the beds there at the hospital are pretty much filled up due to Covid. Then mentioned a couple of other hospitals in Cincy area that are filled, and the others are filling fast.

Pretty scary stuff, especially for those of us whose immune systems are compromised. I mean I would be extremely pissed if I had to go to the hospital for something legit or Covid even, and rooms are taken up by people that chose not to be vaccinated and wear masks when they are medically capable of doing so.

Anyways stay safe out there New Years eve. Best advice by the actual intelligent folks out there is to stay home for NYE, or in a close knit group where everyone is vaccinated and not showing signs of being sick. But this wont happen overall unfortunately as bars/restaurants will be packed for the games and partying.

Glad you're doing better!

We spent Christmas Eve with my side of the family, all vaxxed and boosted.

We spent the evening of Christmas with my in-laws.  Half of them have had Covid and claim they now have natural immunity after first claiming it wasn't a big deal before they got Covid.  The next day one of them called his mother (my mother in law) to tell he had a 104 degree fever.  Mw wife's sister took him a test and he was positive...so my wife had to cancel a procedure and I masked up at work for the week.  Fortunately none of the vaccinated people got sick.  I don't know about the others because they don't talk to the family except on holidays...lol.

Oh, and the guy who got sick still won't get the shot because he has natural immunity...again.

I'm just done arguing with idiots.
Reply/Quote
I mean, uh, no.  We also suggested staying away from each other, get the vaccine and booster that helps reduce the likelyhood fo spread AND your own chances of getting sick or hospitalized.

Reply/Quote
oh....my....

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2021, 12:20 PM)GMDino Wrote: oh....my....

When your own tweet destroys the point of your tweet. It's the most idiotic ouroboros I've ever gotten to witness.
Reply/Quote
And millions upon millions of people are just like Joe:  Unable to accept facts that disprove what they "believe".

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 10:52 AM)GMDino Wrote: And millions upon millions of people are just like Joe:  Unable to accept facts that disprove what they "believe".

The person that tweeted this is so on point. Dissonance is such an uncomfortable thing and we will jump through so many hoops and twist logic so much in order to make ourselves feel better about it. As much shit as I would love to give Rogan for this, he is just acting human.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut, I will give him shit. The reason I will give him shit is because he is responsible for spreading so much misinformation. I know a lot of people that listen to him, which isn't surprising given how large his audience is, and when they act surprised I don't listen to him I just have to say that I want no part of increasing the audience of a man so dead set on providing false information to his listeners. I get that he's curious and I get that he invites people on that may disagree with him, but he isn't as open-minded as people like to think he is.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 11:20 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: The person that tweeted this is so on point. Dissonance is such an uncomfortable thing and we will jump through so many hoops and twist logic so much in order to make ourselves feel better about it. As much shit as I would love to give Rogan for this, he is just acting human.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut, I will give him shit. The reason I will give him shit is because he is responsible for spreading so much misinformation. I know a lot of people that listen to him, which isn't surprising given how large his audience is, and when they act surprised I don't listen to him I just have to say that I want no part of increasing the audience of a man so dead set on providing false information to his listeners. I get that he's curious and I get that he invites people on that may disagree with him, but he isn't as open-minded as people like to think he is.

I read that he has a larger audience than Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity combined. Scary stuff in regards to the worst pandemic in a hundred years.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Two years ago.

[Image: FJt7sxjWYAY3m8T?format=jpg&name=medium]

The man was so unworthy of being POTUS.  
Reply/Quote
Have you even noticed the guy we have now ?

[Image: trump-warp-speed-highway-joe-biden-covid...C371&ssl=1]
Reply/Quote