Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Current Rumor Mill 3/25
(03-25-2020, 06:00 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Thank you. I'm pretty skeptical of this account too. Somebody else on here pointed out that they "reported" Carolina being interested in Robby Anderson before anybody else. Well, anybody could connect Anderson to his old college coach Matt Rhule and Carolina's need at WR. I can pull off that amount of speculation without having ANY sources. If it happens they say look, we told you so, and if it doesn't the tweet fades into obscurity and people remember what they "got right". It's like the way supposed psychics work - if you know how to b.s., you can make it look like you have "sources." 

However, whatever they're doing they're doing well, and I've noticed myself watching the account much more recently. In their defense, they have just about doubled their number of followers in just the last several days (odd for an account that has been around since 2011). 

But they say nothing about who they are. They have a link to a website that doesn't work. That could mean it's a player or front office staffer who doesn't want to be identified. But it could also be the twitter version of a palm reader. They have said recently we might trade for Trent Williams or cut Gio, and if you follow the Bengals both of those are really, really unlikely (the kind of careless speculation somebody who doesn't follow the Bengals might believe). 

The point is, the fact that they get a lot of things wrong *is actually important* because if they're just connecting dots from other sources and making educated guesses, then what appears as beating everybody else to the punch is just luck. 

Or, it's a player or an intern in league offices or a clever agent's ploy or whatever, and this whole post will be egg on my face. I'm open to that possibility. 

Yeah, the account has been around for 9 years and I can't even find a tweet from them prior to this month. If they honestly had numerous NFL sources, and all this insider info, why no posts in 9 years. Did they all of sudden get all these connections this month?

Like you said, their website doesn't exist. Someone with so much 'legitimate' info would at least have a working website where they would make a killing, or they would be snatched up by a real outlet. Then there's the fact that the account always refers to having a 'staff' - for a Twitter account. Not only that, but it's constantly patting itself on the back for reporting stuff that has already been reported by other people/sources. 

These type of accounts seem to pop up every off-season, and unfortunately, many people fall for it. 
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 05:25 PM)Okeana Wrote: i would take a 4th at this point.

I would to, but I'd ask for a 3rd to see if they bite. 
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 06:24 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I would to, but I'd ask for a 3rd to see if they bite. 

Well, the seller always asks for more than they're willing to take and the buyer always offers less than they're willing to pay, so I agree.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 05:20 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: At this point I'd just be happy if they gave us a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I'd like more picks to have a better chance at drafting the right players without having to trade around and give up picks. If we get two 3rds we could potentially knab a good Linebacker and Guard in the 3rd.

I would take about anything for Dalton, just some teams don't like to give up their draft picks and maybe they can unload 
some salary while attaining Dalton.

(03-25-2020, 05:44 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Well, there was a rumor last fall, just before the trade deadline, that they might want to deal either Brandon Linder or Andrew Norwell. Linder would cost us 9.5M and Norwell would cost 11.5M. So while I've been thinking along the same lines as you, as of this Bell signing I don't see how they can do it. All of Dalton's salary needs to come off the books. It'll either be picks or we release him, imo. 

Norwell would be fantastic. I don't know much about Linder?

Probably right though, guess the Jags have more picks than the Patriots anyways.
Reply/Quote
Hoping for a 3rd for Dalton. Where is Hugh Jackson when we need him to overpay for a QB?
Reply/Quote
We would be extremely fortunate to get a 3 or 4 for Dalton given the current lack of leverage situation we are in. Hoping Gruden pulls a Hue and gives it up to bail us out.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 04:28 PM)McC Wrote: As weird as this sounds to say, I'm not sure I can handle any more good news.  

Never mind...I'll risk it...bring it on.

I just read in another thread, to good to be true so 2020 season will be cancelled.

Kind of like Hell froze over.

But my optimist side says NFL 2020 will happen
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

(03-25-2020, 04:28 PM)McC Wrote: As weird as this sounds to say, I'm not sure I can handle any more good news.  

Never mind...I'll risk it...bring it

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 07:51 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I just read in another thread, to good to be true so 2020 season will be cancelled.

Kind of like Hell froze over.

But my optimist side says NFL 2020 will happen

Gotta wonder if all the teams were smart enough to have language in all these contracts for that purpose just in case (especially 1 year contracts) given the state of things. 

If not the colts will def be hurting and Phillip Rivers among others will be sitting pretty nicely Ninja
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 05:44 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Well, there was a rumor last fall, just before the trade deadline, that they might want to deal either Brandon Linder or Andrew Norwell. Linder would cost us 9.5M and Norwell would cost 11.5M. So while I've been thinking along the same lines as you, as of this Bell signing I don't see how they can do it. All of Dalton's salary needs to come off the books. It'll either be picks or we release him, imo. 

There's also talk that they could not only release Dalton and Dre, but also Shawn Williams after the Bell signing. I think that releases an extra 4.5 Mill. They've then got Dalton at $17.7 + Dre at $8.75 + Williams at $4.5 = $31Mill in savings. That could even get them another OL or LB? I would looooove some Norwell on our OL!!!
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 06:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would take about anything for Dalton, just some teams don't like to give up their draft picks and maybe they can unload 
some salary while attaining Dalton.

Norwell would be fantastic. I don't know much about Linder?

Probably right though, guess the Jags have more picks than the Patriots anyways.

I don't do PFF, but my understanding is that Norwell's play slipped after he signed a mega-contract. He's solid, but 11.5M for a good-not-great guard is a lot. I do know he's from Cincy, but still. 

Linder has always been a solid NFL lineman. He plays C for them, but I'm pretty sure he was a G/T in college (being 6'5"). And get this this... he went to the University of Miami, and guess who was their coach at the time? Al Golden, our current LB coach! I'm just connecting dots and speculating for fun here, I doubt any of this happens. 

Also, I was wrong initially... Linder comes with an $8M salary (as opposed to 9.5). And trading him would be more palatable for Jax because it would leave them no dead space under the cap, thus helping them pay for Dalton. And cheaper for us. 
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 09:14 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I don't do PFF, but my understanding is that Norwell's play slipped after he signed a mega-contract. He's solid, but 11.5M for a good-not-great guard is a lot. I do know he's from Cincy, but still. 

Linder has always been a solid NFL lineman. He plays C for them, but I'm pretty sure he was a G/T in college (being 6'5"). And get this this... he went to the University of Miami, and guess who was their coach at the time? Al Golden, our current LB coach! I'm just connecting dots and speculating for fun here, I doubt any of this happens. 

Also, I was wrong initially... Linder comes with an $8M salary (as opposed to 9.5). And trading him would be more palatable for Jax because it would leave them no dead space under the cap, thus helping them pay for Dalton. And cheaper for us. 

It would be a win for Cincy to land either, but I'd be surprised if even Gruden makes that move.  Meschew is already a comparable QB, and Winston or Newton don't require picks.  I'd love the OL trade, just can't see  the Jags doing it.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 09:14 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I don't do PFF, but my understanding is that Norwell's play slipped after he signed a mega-contract. He's solid, but 11.5M for a good-not-great guard is a lot. I do know he's from Cincy, but still. 

Hey, Linder is possible then, I like it with Golden's connection. Thanks for the info GCD.
Reply/Quote
I’m out here in Jax and norwell has been horrible ever since landing out here. He’s either on skates committing a holding penalty or false start. He’s a head ache here we don’t want him here
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 03:52 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: I’m out here in Jax and norwell has been horrible ever since landing out here.  He’s either on skates committing a holding penalty or false start.  He’s a head ache here we don’t want him here

Good to know, Norwell out.

Still want Jason Peters for a 2 year deal the most even if he is old.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 03:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good to know, Norwell out.

Still want Jason Peters for a 2 year deal the most even if he is old.

Where do you put him at?

Regardless of the labrum tear last year for Jonah, they could've played him in the last few games of the year but decided to hold him back as they should have.
He's completely healthy with a full offseason to train. They drafted him as the first tackle off the board last year. You don't bring in Peters to have your first rounder sit.
Jonah is a true professional it seems and he understands the task at hand for sure. You've got to play him, plain and simple.

You don't bring Peters in to play Right Tackle.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 06:12 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Where do you put him at?

Regardless of the labrum tear last year for Jonah, they could've played him in the last few games of the year but decided to hold him back as they should have.
He's completely healthy with a full offseason to train. They drafted him as the first tackle off the board last year. You don't bring in Peters to have your first rounder sit.
Jonah is a true professional it seems and he understands the task at hand for sure. You've got to play him, plain and simple.

Agreed.

If you can afford them, you can sign everyone and play them anywhere...

But then what's the whole point of the draft? Why waste putting the best player at their best position, just to sign someone to move them to a position where they're worse?

The same shit that happened with Whitworth, where everyone and their mother was saying to move Boling and play him at LG, so that Collins or someone else could play, "to have the best 5 OLineman playing at once."

Such stupid logic; why don't you play that other good lineman, at the position you want to move your BEST lineman to, instead of moving the better guy?

Jonah is the best we have right now and for all we know, he's better than Peters RIGHT NOW, so why sign someone and move things around?

Fix in the draft at this point.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Jonah wouldn't sit.  He'd play RT.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Although I still see Andy getting released for cap purposes, I would be ok with this deal after what we have done in FA this offseason:

Trade:

1) -Jacksonville trades us pick #189(6th) for AD and pick #215(7th)
-we move up 26 spots

or

2) Jax trades us #207(6th) for AD
-we gain a 6th.

I think both would be a win for both teams
Reply/Quote

Why don't you bring in Peters to play Right Tackle? He said he is willing to and he is a big mauling vet that could tutor FJ up.

(03-26-2020, 06:20 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Agreed.

If you can afford them, you can sign everyone and play them anywhere...

But then what's the whole point of the draft? Why waste putting the best player at their best position, just to sign someone to move them to a position where they're worse?

The same shit that happened with Whitworth, where everyone and their mother was saying to move Boling and play him at LG, so that Collins or someone else could play, "to have the best 5 OLineman playing at once."

Such stupid logic; why don't you play that other good lineman, at the position you want to move your BEST lineman to, instead of moving the better guy?

Jonah is the best we have right now and for all we know, he's better than Peters RIGHT NOW, so why sign someone and move things around?

Fix in the draft at this point.

Cause Peters would be cheap and at a spot of need and he is better than Hart, that is why Truck. Mellow

Hart is not as bad as people claim but I would like some competition at the other tackle spot and the word is we were interested in Peters. I would be just fine giving him a one year deal if he can help us out. Don't understand why any Bengal fan would not want this.
Reply/Quote