Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DJ Reader a Bengal
(03-17-2020, 08:55 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Understandable. I think what some are questioning are why at this position when it wasn't one of desperate need and/or if this was the best use of that money, not that they spent the money.

Understood, but there's other parts here, too 

How they feel about guys on the roster, who they're looking to draft. Throwing that money at a lb and drafting dl would've been one way to handle things, but maybe they feel better about drafting one spot and beefing up the other in fa. 

Like I said, I'm happy with the signings so far. Hopefully we'll all look back and feel good about them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 09:04 PM)Benton Wrote: Understood, but there's other parts here, too 

How they feel about guys on the roster, who they're looking to draft. Throwing that money at a lb and drafting dl would've been one way to handle things, but maybe they feel better about drafting one spot and beefing up the other in fa. 

Like I said, I'm happy with the signings so far. Hopefully we'll all look back and feel good about them.

Me to, especially after looking over some of the advanced stats of his. He'll be a stud for a few years. I agree, we all want to look back at this and say this was what it took to take this defense up to respectable levels, it's what we all want in the end ThumbsUp
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 05:41 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Well well, looks like we all can start taking a bite out of the crow dish.

Not all of us, I've held my opinion until I saw what they were going to do and didn't freak at the Linebackers going elsewhere. (pats self on the back) Hilarious Reader next to Geno in the middle, Carlos and Hubbard on the ends.....Oh Lart!!!!
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 08:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Fantastic news!  I guess this means that the Bengals are for real about going to more of a 3-4 on defense.

Huh? Not at all. Pretty much solidifies us as a 4-3. All our personnel is suited to 4-3 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 09:44 PM)Mobster Wrote: Huh? Not at all. Pretty much solidifies us as a 4-3. All our personnel is suited to 4-3 

Hmm, the team announced that they are officially going to a 3-4 hybrid, then proceed to sign arguably the best 2 gap capable NT on the market, and yet a guy still denies that it's happening?   Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Signing Reader as the top paid NT in the league is making a "statement" to Burrow, current Bengal players, and fans.

He is considered the 2nd highest rated NT in the NFL and has a great personality from what I understand.

Waynes is a boundary CB that has some issues with double moves and will give up plays. But he is young, very fast, and is significantly a better tackler compared to Kirkpatrick. Kirkpatrick will be traded or released.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 05:41 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Well well, looks like we all can start taking a bite out of the crow dish.

Ha ha ha, yep. I've already got the Texas Pete out, waiting on my dish. 

I honestly had no clue who this guy was. I read up on him, and wow. This is not your typical Bengals FA signing. I guess it ain't the same as it ever was.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 08:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The best LB the Bengals have drafted in the last decade is Nick Vigil. Seriously. It's not from lack of trying, either.

For whatever reason, they have absolutely no ability to draft a good LB.

Enter new staff and Germaine Pratt...
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 05:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: *All of the good LBs are gone.*
*All of the good OL are gone.*
*Multiple #1 WRs get traded.*

*Bengals sign a single player to improve a position they didn't need improved.*

"LoOks LiKe We AlL cAn StaRt TakINg a BiTe Of cROw."

Judging by what they said a few weeks ago about taking some pressure off of Geno, I'd say they've been looking at Dlinemen all along. I think Waynes is the consolation for Schobert. In fact, I think they may have been wanting Schobert and Reader.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 10:02 PM)Wyche Wrote: Ha ha ha, yep. I've already got the Texas Pete out, waiting on my dish. 

I honestly had no clue who this guy was. I read up on him, and wow. This is not your typical Bengals FA signing. I guess it ain't the same as it ever was.....

This is the best offseason since electing to go with striped helmets. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 09:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, the team announced that they are officially going to a 3-4 hybrid, then proceed to sign arguably the best 2 gap capable NT on the market, and yet a guy still denies that it's happening?   Mellow

Every team uses hybrid defenses. And Reader is a prototypical 4-3 NT who complements Geno perfectly. He's what they hoped Billings would be. They're not changing the defense. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 10:17 PM)Mobster Wrote: Every team uses hybrid defenses. And Reader is a prototypical 4-3 NT who complements Geno perfectly. He's what they hoped Billings would be. They're not changing the defense. 

They used more 34 looks in 2019 than 43 especially at the end of the year.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 09:58 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: He is considered the 2nd highest rated NT in the NFL and has a great personality from what I understand.

He was Houston's Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee this year. 

https://www.battleredblog.com/2019/12/13/21020981/d-j-reader-is-the-texans-walter-payton-man-of-the-year-nominee

Seems like a legit good dude.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 10:25 PM)Synric Wrote: They used more 34 looks in 2019 than 43 especially at the end of the year.

Not sure what you mean by 3-4. They went almost exclusively with 4 D-Linemen. Dunlap, Billings, Atkins, and Hubbard/Lawson, with others subbing in. You can stand a guy up or whatever, but they're still D-Linemen, not LBs. They have trouble finding just one decent starting LB... much less 4 of them. Much more likely to play with two LBs than four
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 10:08 PM)Wyche Wrote: Judging by what they said a few weeks ago about taking some pressure off of Geno, I'd say they've been looking at Dlinemen all along. I think Waynes is the consolation for Schobert. In fact, I think they may have been wanting Schobert and Reader.

What source makes you think they settled for a great CB versus a good LB (missed tackles was major issues with that LB)

Logic says they got the guy they wanted (highest paid DT now in league) and highest FA CB signing this far as well to replace Dennard. They made a choice Waynes over Dennard in my opinion.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 12:03 AM)Mobster Wrote: Not sure what you mean by 3-4. They went almost exclusively with 4 D-Linemen. Dunlap, Billings, Atkins, and Hubbard/Lawson, with others subbing in. You can stand a guy up or whatever, but they're still D-Linemen, not LBs. They have trouble finding just one decent starting LB... much less 4 of them. Much more likely to play with two LBs than four

Its doesnt matter if you call a guy an LB or DE 34 and 43 defenses are about where and how they line up. 

A 43 defense is 4 down linemen that means hand in the dirt. If you are seeing a 4 man front but one is standing up that is actually a 335 sometimes you will see 2 guys down and 2 more standing that is a 245. As for the Bengals they ran alot of 34 fronts in base defense and 335 in nickle which means they ran alot more odd fronts than even.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 12:04 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: What source makes you think they settled for a great CB versus a good LB (missed tackles was major issues with that LB)

Logic says they got the guy they wanted (highest paid DT now in league) and highest FA CB signing this far as well to replace Dennard. They made a choice Waynes over Dennard in my opinion.

There were a couple of analysts on Twitter who said the Bengals were going hard on Schobert. They just didn't want to match the guaranteed money of the deal from Jacksonville. They also contacted the reps of Nick Kwiatkowski, but I guess he was just very excited to join the Raiders.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Reader is an animal. Obviously our linebackers still suck but maybe we can sign Queen , Murray , William Gay. Just need someone to clean up the mess the front 4 make.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 08:55 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Understandable. I think what some are questioning are why at this position when it wasn't one of desperate need and/or if this was the best use of that money, not that they spent the money.

I think the trouble is the same fans will, if we don't draft a day 2 O-lineman, be bemoaning the lack of upgrades on the offensive line and saying things like "the game is won in the trenches". Well if the game is won in the trenches we've gone a long way to winning games as we've gone and signed arguably the best available lineman in free agency on either side of the ball to a long term deal. Someone who is not only one of the very best players in his position in the NFL but is only 25 years old so is in his prime and seems to be of good character as well. I love this signing.

As for not a position of need, I like Billings but he was out of contract so there was a hole and this is a clear upgrade. The Bengals were defensively 32nd in rushing yards. DJ Reader was something like 4th against the rush (whilst also being top 10 against the pass). Moreover his play should elevate those around him. It'll help Geno, it'll help Dunlap, Lawson and Hubbard, it'll help the LBers. I think this move moves the needle far more than swapping Waynes for Dre.

As for best use of money, I much prefer spending to get one of the best at their position rather than overpaying for a good not great player plus D-line is more of a premium position than linebacker. To attack linebacker I'd look to collect mid-round draft picks (NE have got 8 draft picks rounds 3-6, lets take some of them off their hands for Dalton) to double dip in the middle rounds and sign some 4th wave free agents. Throw enough against the wall and some will stick.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 08:12 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Maybe it's the cynic in me, but whenever I see someone pass up another team to come to the Bengals my first though is always "oh no, he's just in it for the cash" LOL

Like the move. Good start to FA.

Football players are good evaluaters of talent around them. When Reader looks at the Bengals, he probably sees holes in some areas of the team, but then he looks at that fact that he gets to play on a Dline next to Geno, Carlos, Hubbard and Lawson. He's got to be thinking that will be one of the best Dlines in football, and his personal stats are going to put him in the Pro Bowl every year. If he's looking for a career in the Hall, these are the guys to surround himself with.  And with his motor, he is going to push Geno, who has never needed much pushing himself. If Reader, Geno and Carlos get into a sac contest... Oh Lart.
Reply/Quote