Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Dalton POed
(10-31-2019, 03:01 PM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote:  That's why I do not think finley will get killed back there like people are saying.

The Giants sacked him 3 times in just 2 quarters in the preseason.

He is no magician.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 03:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't claim to be an expert at evaluating college QBs, but the NFL scouts and GMs who are had him rated as a fourth round pick.

Not saying they can't be wrong.  Dak Prescott was also a 4th round pick.  But overall I tend to trust the judgement of NFL teams over random  dudes on a message board.

Because they value a big arm and big play making traits. But you can think what you want..I told people gardner minshew would be a good pick too, not one person listened to me lol now hes playing good for the jags. 
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 03:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Giants sacked him 3 times in just 2 quarters in the preseason.

He is no magician.

Hes no Russell wilson but hes better then dalton at it guaranteed. Watch
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 03:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Giants sacked him 3 times in just 2 quarters in the preseason.

He is no magician.

I'm pulling for the kid, but I don't see how saying "FInley will be able to avoid the pressure and step up where Dalton couldn't" is any different than saying "ZT will know how to use Mixon and Ross and our offense will be way better" or "Turner's style will get the most out of our o linemen"  Hope springs eternal.

If Finley has the skills to off-set out o-line's crappiness I feel like he'd be a 1st round pick not a 4th.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 03:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm pulling for the kid, but I don't see how saying "FInley will be able to avoid the pressure and step up where Dalton couldn't" is any different than saying "ZT will know how to use Mixon and Ross and our offense will be way better" or "Turner's style will get the most out of our o linemen"  Hope springs eternal.

If Finley has the skills to off-set out o-line's crappiness I feel like he'd be a 1st round pick not a 4th.

And so would brady,foles,and Russell wilson and many others 
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 03:21 PM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote: And so would brady,foles,and Russell wilson and many others 

Wait...Brady wasn't a 1st round pick?  That's the first I've heard of it!

I can't wait until we have to start Dolegala for the same reason.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 01:07 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Yeah lets act like we have Brady to trade and every team is groveling at MB's locked and bolted door. Teams who are playoff bound have QBs and the ones on the fringe aren't going to give up much for a QB who can't start for a 0-8 team. PERIOD 

Pretty sure he said Sam Bradford and Alex Smith....but maybe there's a parallel to Tom Brady in there somewhere.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 03:26 PM)Wyche Wrote: Pretty sure he said Sam Bradford and Alex Smith....but maybe there's a parallel to Tim Brady in there somewhere.....

He's saying I stupidly think Dalton is Tom Brady because I think we can trade him while at the same time he's giving me a hard time for not thinking Finley could be awesome because "Tom Brady."
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 02:00 PM)mt415tress Wrote: Stafford has a better career Passer Rating and QBR than Dalton. 

So, no.  But, it's fun to make things up. 

Career rating is something The Army used to be able to hang their hat on. They would proudly proclaim Andy cannot be a bad QB because he's currently Top 10 in career passer rating. never mind it was bottom half of those eligible. Not that he's 18th of 25 it's kinda of lost it's luster. All they have left is 2015 and the rest of the team sux. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 03:21 PM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote: And so would brady,foles,and Russell wilson and many others 

Exceptions to the rule don't prove much.

Since you mentioned Brady (drafted in 2000) let us look at the QBs drafted in the 4th round or later since then.  There have been 144 selected but, only 11 have won more than 10 games.  And only 7 of those 11 have a winning record (Brady, Prescott, Tyrod Taylor, Trevor Simeon, David Garrard, Kyle Orton, and Kirk Cousins).

That is pretty slim pickings for 32 teams over 20 years.
Reply/Quote
For what's it worth, I saw plenty of Ryan Finley in the ACC. Most know I'm a huge FSU Homer, so I keep up with that conference better than any of the rest. Finley played well on a team that was far from stacked. They had some pieces here and there, but he was a vital cog. There's definitely some clay there to be molded. This a whole other level though on very talent devoid team. Hope the best for him.

Reply/Quote
It should not have taken improper timing of benching him to get a fire lit under Andy Dalton. He is a backup QB. Too much family environment from him, didn't adjust even after going 0-8, didn't throw a single person under the bus, when they should have been there.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 04:20 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: It should not have taken improper timing of benching him to get a fire lit under Andy Dalton. He is a backup QB. Too much family environment from him, didn't adjust even after going 0-8, didn't throw a single person under the bus, when they should have been there.

I am quite confident that Jim Turner yells at our offensive lineman. That won't make them play better though.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 04:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I am quite confident that Jim Turner yells at our offensive lineman. That won't make them play better though.

It's a touchy subject for the QB to yell at his own line, probably. Maybe they're deaf to the coach, dunno, such a huge dropoff in the last couple of years.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 04:32 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: It's a touchy subject for the QB to yell at his own line, probably. Maybe they're deaf to the coach, dunno, such a huge dropoff in the last couple of years.

The line just sucks and it has been getting worse and more injured.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 04:32 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: It's a touchy subject for the QB to yell at his own line, probably. Maybe they're deaf to the coach, dunno, such a huge dropoff in the last couple of years.

It's not probably a touchy subject to yell at your line, it IS one. Ask Tim Couch....or anyone that's played either position.

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:38 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Rumors had it Bears offered a 2 and a 4.

hmm wow.
Maybe Marvin can sign on as a coach next year to a team and give us a 1st and 3rd for AD.

2nd and 4th... now what was the rumor for AJ?
And did any other players get offers?
Interesting possibility of some good draft capital.

And we can still trade AJ, before the Tag Deadline and let the new team have his tag rights.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 03:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Exceptions to the rule don't prove much.

Since you mentioned Brady (drafted in 2000) let us look at the QBs drafted in the 4th round or later since then.  There have been 144 selected but, only 11 have won more than 10 games.  And only 7 of those 11 have a winning record (Brady, Prescott, Tyrod Taylor, Trevor Simeon, David Garrard, Kyle Orton, and Kirk Cousins).

That is pretty slim pickings for 32 teams over 20 years.

And how many 2nd rounders have won superbowls or went far in the playoffs? Dalton was a 2nd rounder. The thing about QBs is. The ones with the biggest arms or went to a big school with big production get drafted in the 1st round. When a qb is drafted after the 2nd he doesnt have much opportunity to show what hes got with a team. That's just how it is. McCarron is a good example of this. He was a game manager winner in college qb. Hes got more wins then losses starting and very close to a playoff victory. But teams didnt care about that they wanted to take a top drafted QB. 

Also ryan finley could of been drafted higher,atleast 2nd round. I know that dalton has his big time fans like you. And you think hes amazing because he went to 5 straight playoffs. But dalton has a ton of flaws. Always did except 2015 he went and improved his game and it showed,and he had the perfect storm in place for that season. Dalton struggles even with the basic footwork you need as a pocket passer. In his highlight video they just made where it shows him beating the ravens he actually shows good footwork on that play stepping up in the pocket and firing to boyd. I havnt seen him do that all this season. 
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 03:48 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: For what's it worth, I saw plenty of Ryan Finley in the ACC. Most know I'm a huge FSU Homer, so I keep up with that conference better than any of the rest. Finley played well on a team that was far from stacked. They had some pieces here and there, but he was a vital cog. There's definitely some clay there to be molded. This a whole other level though on very talent devoid team. Hope the best for him.

I truly hope Ryan Finley succeeds beyond anyone’s wildest dreams. I guarantee Andy Dalton feels the same way. Now I’m not comparing Ryan Finley to Carson Palmer but I know Andy will mentor Ryan like Jon Kitna did for Carson.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 11:16 PM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote: And how many 2nd rounders have won superbowls or went far in the playoffs? Dalton was a 2nd rounder. The thing about QBs is. The ones with the biggest arms or went to a big school with big production get drafted in the 1st round. When a qb is drafted after the 2nd he doesnt have much opportunity to show what hes got with a team. That's just how it is. McCarron is a good example of this. He was a game manager winner in college qb. Hes got more wins then losses starting and very close to a playoff victory. But teams didnt care about that they wanted to take a top drafted QB. 

Also ryan finley could of been drafted higher,atleast 2nd round. I know that dalton has his big time fans like you. And you think hes amazing because he went to 5 straight playoffs. But dalton has a ton of flaws. Always did except 2015 he went and improved his game and it showed,and he had the perfect storm in place for that season. Dalton struggles even with the basic footwork you need as a pocket passer. In his highlight video they just made where it shows him beating the ravens he actually shows good footwork on that play stepping up in the pocket and firing to boyd. I havnt seen him do that all this season. 

People are going to throw Tom Brady and Russell Wilson at you...but yes they are outliers.

Watching the 49ers play tonight...Jimmy G just hits a lot of throws that Dalton would likely miss or struggle with. Jimmy G makes it look effortless. That's what we need. AND the 49ers are playing without their Tackles.

I saw a stat about how Dalton is one of the worst QB's statistically when the pocket is clean. To me, that's telling.
Reply/Quote