Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton-agent looked at options
(10-30-2019, 03:04 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You can only trade a tagged player if they sign their tag, and AJ has specifically mentioned he really doesn't want franchise tagged. I can't see that tactic turning out well, unless the end goal is for Mike Brown to poison every single last good Bengals player against the team. He's kicking ass at that goal over the last almost thirty years.

They don't have to sign their tender until July. Once the tag is applied he'd have two option sign it to facilitate the trade or don't sign it and sit out. I think AJ would sign it to leave if that's what it came to. 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 03:02 PM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: Wrong.  I just addressed why a team like Miami would trade for Dalton.  Dalton is a good QB that has had success in this league.  His struggles here are not due to him being a bad QB, but due to not having an Oline and reliable WRs outside of Green. 

Miami could easily trade for him and they could easily offer a 2nd round pick for him.  MB would probably ask for their 1st.  They have 3 of them, they could easily offer up the pick they got from Houston.  If MB refused that offer then that validates everyone that calls him incompetent.  Getting an early 2nd round pick or a late 1st for Dalton would be a great move.  I don't think Miami would balk at getting Dalton for a 2nd round pick. 

The Colts might also be interested if they think Dalton is better than Brissett.  I know I think Dalton is better, but the Colts are winning with Brissett and right now there is no need for them to make a change.

Why would Miami, a team who is better off losing this season to get a better pick, trade for him in season? Could they not get him after the season once they locked in their pick? Why would they give a 2nd? Denver sent a 4th for Flacco and Tennessee sent a 4th for Tannehill, I'd imagine Dalton will be getting somewhere in that 3rd or 4th range as well...After the season.

Again, it makes no sense for a non contender to trade for him this season when history shows us these trades happen after the season.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 03:10 PM)Au165 Wrote: Why would Miami, a team who is better off losing this season to get a better pick, trade for him in season? Could they not get him after the season once they locked in their pick? Why would they give a 2nd? Denver sent a 4th for Flacco and Tennessee sent a 4th for Tannehill, I'd imagine Dalton will be getting somewhere in that 3rd or 4th range as well...After the season.

Again, it makes no sense for a non contender to trade for him this season when history shows us these trades happen after the season.

Simple... to prepare him.  To get him involved with the rebuilding process.  To get his feedback on players he would like to bring in. 

Tom Brady was instrumental in getting Sanu to NE.  Flores being a Hoodie disciple could do the same thing.

Why would they give a 2nd?  Cause they have 2 of them.  They know what they will get with Dalton, unlike the QBs in the draft.  They don't have to go on a tear and win out this year.  They can build for the future and start by using a 2nd round pick on a QB they know can succeed in this league.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 12:38 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: just doesn't make sense..... I guess we can trade him during the draft.. but we probly will get less then than what we could have right now.

And if we just cut him no Comp pick either.. so basically we get nothing out of it... Its just mind boggling.

Timing was insane. Teams would likely give up more now, if their desperate for a playoff push than they will come offseason or draft time. It was a boneheaded move to announce it period much less hours before the deadline. MB just wanted to screw him over from getting a chance to go elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
Taylor is such a **** up. Everyone knew he would bench Dalton after the bye week (even if we doubted he'd actually go through with it), but he chose to wait until the absolute worst time to announce it.
Reply/Quote
There are differences between how Palmer went down and how Andy went down. First, Palmer went on strike essentially. Second he and his wife were never really invested in the community.

Andy was benched on his birthday with no prior notice and not enough time to try to set up a deal. Also he and his wife have been big time contributors to the community going back to before he had a bigger deal - they dropped big money into charitable works even on his rookie scale deal.

I agree with those on here who see Andy landing in the offseason with a different team and doing very well for them. Right now our goofy play calling and poor pass protection has his internal timer all messed up. Put him in a stable environment and give him a whole offseason is a proven system and the clock will return to the right place.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 03:19 PM)Joelist Wrote: There are differences between how Palmer went down and how Andy went down. First, Palmer went on strike essentially. Second he and his wife were never really invested in the community.

Andy was benched on his birthday with no prior notice and not enough time to try to set up a deal. Also he and his wife have been big time contributors to the community going back to before he had a bigger deal - they dropped big money into charitable works even on his rookie scale deal.

I agree with those on here who see Andy landing in the offseason with a different team and doing very well for them. Right now our goofy play calling and poor pass protection has his internal timer all messed up. Put him in a stable environment and give him a whole offseason is a proven system and the clock will return to the right place.

The fact that we can even compare how MB wasted, botched, and alienated various franchise QBs says a lot.  Hey, if he's got another decade in him we can see how he alienates (insert new QB here), too!
Reply/Quote
If I were Dalton, I would be upset how things unfolded publicly, but privately, I would have sense things were not going well with the poor throws, fumbles, and INT. I would have also remembered that the owner stated that this was my "prove-it" year.

But then again, I would have expected the management to fix some things on the O-Line and provided more weapons. Remember, that Boiling retired suddenly, as well as Perkins and Westerman. They moved on from Price. The O-Line was in disarray and it probably caught Dalton off guard some what. The line was bad last year but at least Mixon was able to rush and take some heat off of Dalton. The poor offensive performance has so many variables from poor play calling, lack of talent on line, and the inability to rush. It wasn't just Dalton. Still, when Dalton did have time to throw, he did not complete the throws or his accuracy was better geared for NBA players because his throws were off.

The FO could have traded Dalton shortly after the LAR game if not sooner. They could have benched shortly after the LAR game or at least made the announcement shortly after that game. Why didn't they?

This tells me that Taylor has been thinking about going in a different direction for a while but needed to be absolutely certain. Remember, Taylor was asked after the LAR if he was ready to move on from Dalton to start Finley and his words: “That’s not something I’m going to talk about right now. You know, it’s fresh after the game, (and) when the (starting) quarterback has a tough game, it’s the first question. But we’re just going to keep it steady now.”

Dalton will be traded this off season maybe for a 3rd and 5th round, possibly a 2nd and 5th if a team really needs a team friendly deal on an NFL ready QB.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 12:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Should have played here when he had the chance
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 02:00 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is juvenile stuff.  Andy Dalton was notified at 2:30 PM on his birthday he would not start for the Bengals anymore.  That gave he and his agent 90 minutes before the trade deadline to find a deal with another team — which is of course impossible.

That makes Mikey Boy look even cheaper than he is and it makes Zac Taylor look like a vindictive, vengeful ass.  Andy is Zac and Mike’s safety net and scapegoat all rolled into one.  He’s not playing for the Bengals but he’s not playing anywhere else, either.  I hope other owners in the NFL took notice of the professionalism Andy showed over the past 24 hours.

That's the problem no one is going to dictate to MB what they are going to do. Dalton has the same option as Palmer. Old Mikey is sitting in his office saying "go ahead punk make my day". MB has proven before that he will be an ass to keep from looking like one. 
Reply/Quote
I'm not an AD lover, but he has earned the right to stay here until we can replace him.

For now, with the beating he's taking, I'd bench him to and let the younger guys take that beating. The worst thing that could happen with this season being 0-8, is for AD to get injured and need a year of rehab, Now 1st half of next year is shot.

So bench him, let him recover from the beating physically and mentally and let him prepare for next year. Work with Finley and Dolegala and see if one is a competent back up, if one emerges as a possible future QB, then trade AD in the off season while he's healthy.

Now if Miami had said they'd give a late 1st for AD, I'd take that, we are already on the path to being able to draft a top QB, so might as well get an extra for the OL. And even so, I'd offer up my 3rd and see if I can't move up more in the first with them. I know a lot of people aren't big fans of some of my draft Ideas, but if we got a mid 1st, i'd draft that Tackle from GA with first pick and see who falls at QB, if worst comes to worst, I'd grab Jalen Hurts. Now we have a Lamar Jackson. Sign a Top Tier LG/RG (or both) and use the 2nd round pick to fill the other spot. Rest of the draft spent on BPA. Preferably the Defense.

It might take 2 years to get back in the hunt, but we'd be in for a while.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 02:11 PM)Au165 Wrote: People keep saying a 1st, as much as people want to say they were offered a 1st I do not believe for a second they were offered a 1st for a 30+ year old WR coming off multiple foot injuries who needs a new contract. This is part of why the "outrage" is comical, you are basically saying Green is going to pull almost what a healthy OBJ brought in at five years younger and with a long term contract already in place? He is going to pull in more that Jadaveon Clowney? My guess was teams offered a 2nd and a day 3 pick for him with the day 3 pick being conditional on him resigning. 

The  absolute truth. Who would give a first round pick for a receiver they don't even know will ever play again? Had he played and shown he was healthy then a team might have. Dalton, Glenn, and Kirpatrick  are scrubs who hold little trade value. It kills me how some fans are delusional about the value of some of our players.
Reply/Quote
This signals that they are taking a QB in the draft. I expect Dalton is dealt in the off season. They benched him on his birthday, without warning, just hours before the trade deadline. As far as I am aware he is the only player that got benched for the purpose of "evaluating the backup." Benched before Bobby Hart. The shade is real.

Outside of a contract obligation, what possible reason would Dalton have to keep playing here? This bridge is effectively burned.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Not sure who said that a 1st for AJ would mean he's basically as valuable as OBJ, but they're either misinformed or blatantly lying.

Beckham was traded for a 1st, a 3rd AND Jabril Peppers.

Peppers was just a 1st round pick in 2017, was only 23 when he was traded, has 2 years (or 3 with team option) left on his rookie deal @ only 1.4 and 1.8 mil per. He started EVERY game last year and has started EVERY game this year. He's 2nd on the Giants in tackles , 2nd in tackles for loss, 1st in forced fumbles, 2nd in pass deflections, and he's already got a pick 6. And all that from the safety position!

So I'm not sure how a 1st for AJ can be called similar to that compensation. The 1st and 3rd alone is significantly greatee before you even get to Peppers. (For reference, Minkah Fitzpatrick, a secondary player similar in age and draft position to Peppers, was traded for a 1st on his own.) The Giants got so, so much more than what was claimed in comparison.

Glossing over these additions is incredibly dishonest. Not to mention this comparison completely ignores time of trade (supply and demand), reason for trade (bargaining power) and cap considerations and player profile (risk). Oh, and btw, OBJ was coming off 16 missee games in his last two years, with an average of 650 yards and 4 TDs over those seasons. Not exactly the pillar of health or locker-room leader either. And at the price of assuming and committing to the 2nd highest WR contract in football over 5 years!
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 05:53 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The  absolute truth. Who would give a first round pick for a receiver they don't even know will ever play again?

Never play again? Can you be any more dramatic?

He's coming off a high ankle sprain, not an achilies tear or paralysis. Last season was a toe injury, not an ACL.

There is absolutely no question as to whether or not he will ever play again. Will he still be an All-Pro? Now that's a question. But he's definitely playing again. And if he wasn't in a contract year, and didn't play for this dumpster fire of a team, he would have already been playing weeks ago.

Some of you all overstate things so much it's comical. Your post makes it sound like a team is trading for guy that just got of the ICU. Seriously...???
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 06:43 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Never play again? Can you be any more dramatic?

He's coming off a high ankle sprain, not an achilies tear or paralysis. Last season was a toe injury, not an ACL.

There is absolutely no question as to whether or not he will ever play again. Will he still be an All-Pro? Now that's a question. But he's definitely playing again. And if he wasn't in a contract year, and didn't play for this dumpster fire of a team, he would have already been playing weeks ago.

Some of you all overstate things so much it's comical. Your post makes it sound like a team is trading for guy that just got of the ICU. Seriously...???
So you say he's missed a whole year with minor injuries? That really makes him more valuable. You ,like so many fans , can't accept that players are paid what they have done in the past not what they will do in the future. The GOAT WR finished his career with the Raiders not the forty- niners where he earned all his glory. When its time its time.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 01:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: PDub...you defeat Truck in a 'Loser Walks' match...then you sort of tease us with a post here and there.

I like your style!

I'm really focussing in on using less words lately.

Side note: Just ordered a custom Dolegala jersey. Halfway through the season and my hopes and dreams of seeing the Bengals 6'9" bomber tossing them out of PBS is already one step closer. We're now one Earl Thomas blitz away from the future realized.

PS: Open to sig suggestions on adding in a death battle record.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 03:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The fact that we can even compare how MB wasted, botched, and alienated various franchise QBs says a lot.  Hey, if he's got another decade in him we can see how he alienates (insert new QB here), too!

Interestingly when guys like Palmer, Pickens, Dillon, Joseph, etc...force their way out  and criticize management...people generally side with the Bengals and turn on the players.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 05:53 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote:  Dalton, Glenn, and Kirpatrick  are scrubs who hold little trade value. It kills me how some fans are delusional about the value of some of our players.

Jason la Confora has said GMs around the league place a second round value on Dalton.  I trust his info much more than yours.

The only delusional fans are the ones constantly squealing about how Dalton is worthless garbage.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:16 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interestingly when guys like Palmer, Pickens, Dillon, Joseph, etc...force their way out  and criticize management...people generally side with the Bengals and turn on the players.

That is not true at all.

I rip Palmer for taking the big contract extension before quitting on the team, but I don't disagree with what he says about the front office.

And I don't know anyone who blames Dillon for leaving.  They may object to the comments he made about the city, but that is not defending the Bengals front office.
Reply/Quote