Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damian Willis
Here is an article about his pro time...He even wore #15 in college. And at just under 6'4" and 200 lbs...he reminds me a lot of a Chris Henry.

I would normally not waste the time but this coaching staff seems to be giving every guy a legitimate shot. Love that and I'm pulling for this kid.

https://www.meridianstar.com/sports/damion-willis-pleased-with-pro-day-as-he-prepares-for/article_7c0c31f4-4512-11e9-a8d7-3f3035eeadfa.html
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Hmm two days after Hobson’s training camp hero piece on him. Somebody drinking the koolaid? LOL

Seriously though, the kid has skills. Not sure how ready he is, but a definite PS candidate. I have him third on the UDFA WR depth chart behind Morgan and Bryant.

Morgan - polished WR and ST
Bryant - same size as Willis, better/variety of routes, better hands
Willis - deep threat, limited route running experience
Reply/Quote
If he runs good routes, and can catch the ball, I'm all for him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm glad we have more guys ready to show Ross how it's done.
Reply/Quote
Willis gives them that target that falls between a AJ Green and Tyler Eifert
size wise.
sometimes WRs that go to colleges that arent exactly on ESPN every 4 days
turn out to be real.diamonds
Reply/Quote
I'd be all for giving guys like Willis a roster spot if they earn it over a guy like Core who has had opportunities for 3 years and failed to step up.
Reply/Quote
This board has a history of over hyping WR's in TC. I hope he is great and is getting praise. We need a better version of Cody Core, someone who can have an impact as a WR and be a great ST player.

WR rookie free agents have to be over the top great in camp top make the 53 or be a dominant ST player. Otherwise more likely to the PS as unlikely another team would grab a guy like Willis for their 53.

But, I am rooting for him to be the next Jerry Rice.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Core is straight trash. Rather have wrong route , no hands , injury machine Ross at wr.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2019, 09:19 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: The Hmm two days after Hobson’s training camp hero piece on him. Somebody drinking the koolaid? LOL

Seriously though, the kid has skills. Not sure how ready he is, but a definite PS candidate. I have him third on the UDFA WR depth chart behind Morgan and Bryant.

Morgan - polished WR and ST
Bryant - same size as Willis, better/variety of routes, better hands
Willis - deep threat, limited route running experience

I didn't see a Hobson article on him, but i did hear that he was making plays every day at camp.  Remember, Morgan Jr. is likely only being looked at as a slot WR, and we have Erickson and Boyd in front of him.  Willis is more than just a deep threat.  I think Core and Malone could find themselves in a battle here.  

I have no idea if the kid can contribute on special teams, and Core has been a solid contributor there.  

If I have as locks: Green, Boyd, Ross, and Erickson

I would think they would keep six so it comes down to:  Core, Malone, Tate, Willis, Bryant, and Morgan. As much as I love Auden Tate, I wonder what position they have him getting most of his snaps?
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 12:04 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This board has a history of over hyping WR's in TC. I hope he is great and is getting praise. We need a better version of Cody Core, someone who can have an impact as a WR and be a great ST player.

WR rookie free agents have to be over the top great in camp top make the 53 or be a dominant ST player. Otherwise more likely to the PS as unlikely another team would grab a guy like Willis for their 53.

I understand this sentiment, but if Core is kept over Willis, he is a FA next season.  That would mean if he had a decent season they would likely have to pay him significantly more than Willis.  No idea if that will enter in to their minds, but it makes sense. 
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 08:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I understand this sentiment, but if Core is kept over Willis, he is a FA next season.  That would mean if he had a decent season they would likely have to pay him significantly more than Willis.  No idea if that will enter in to their minds, but it makes sense. 

I think barring Willis be lights out in preseason games (if so money probably comes into play also), I think the FO knows they can shelve Willis on the practice squad. He was not drafted, so I don't see teams lining up to sign him on their 53 man roster this year. So, we keep both, Willis to develop on practice squad with potential to move up to 53 man during season/
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 08:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I didn't see a Hobson article on him, but i did hear that he was making plays every day at camp.  Remember, Morgan Jr. is likely only being looked at as a slot WR, and we have Erickson and Boyd in front of him.  Willis is more than just a deep threat.  I think Core and Malone could find themselves in a battle here.  

I have no idea if the kid can contribute on special teams, and Core has been a solid contributor there.  

If I have as locks: Green, Boyd, Ross, and Erickson

I would think they would keep six so it comes down to:  Core, Malone, Tate, Willis, Bryant, and Morgan. As much as I love Auden Tate, I wonder what position they have him getting most of his snaps?

I doubt Morgan is a slot only for a couple reasons. First, the coaches and players have been talking about how they have to learn every WR position and second, he played inside and outside in college, just like Boyd. Also, just like Boyd he returned kicks and punts in college, which gives him the ST edge over Willis or Bryant.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2019, 10:32 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Willis gives them that target  that falls between a AJ Green and Tyler Eifert
size wise.

sometimes WRs that go to colleges that arent exactly on ESPN every 4 days
turn out to be real.diamonds

Willis is actually smaller than AJ according to their roster page.
Green - 6'4", 210 lbs
Willis - 6'3", 204 lbs
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 02:12 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Core is straight trash. Rather have wrong route , no hands , injury machine Ross at wr.

Someone with no hands doesn't catch 7 TDs in a season. Someone with no hands doesn't catch 81 passes his senior year in college either.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 10:08 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Willis is actually smaller than AJ according to their roster page.
Green - 6'4", 210 lbs
Willis - 6'3", 204 lbs

your right.but does Willis look thicker?
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 12:04 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This board has a history of over hyping WR's in TC. I hope he is great and is getting praise. We need a better version of Cody Core, someone who can have an impact as a WR and be a great ST player.

A lot of guys look good until they get the pads on and a physical defender hitting them.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 10:12 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Someone with no hands doesn't catch 7 TDs in a season. Someone with no hands doesn't catch 81 passes his senior year in college either.

in 2016, 25 NCAA players had 80+ catches.    That doesnt mean there are 25 WRs in the NFL from that class.   There are like 5. 
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 11:01 AM)impactplaya Wrote: your right.but does Willis look thicker?

No.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 11:44 AM)TopSix Wrote: in 2016, 25 NCAA players had 80+ catches.    That doesnt mean there are 25 WRs in the NFL from that class.   There are like 5. 

Having hands doesn't automatically make you a NFL-caliber receiver. But it's still inaccurate to say someone has "no hands" if they catch 80+ passes in a season, even if it's in college.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2019, 11:57 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Having hands doesn't automatically make you a NFL-caliber receiver. But it's still inaccurate to say someone has "no hands" if they catch 80+ passes in a season, even if it's in college.

Of course he has/had hands.  He was a D1, NFL first round  (top 10) pick. 

Even all state HS WRs have hands.  Every D1 and D2 WR in the nation has 'hands'

MOeller, Maderia, hell even Batavie, their Wrs 1s have 'hands'

But, it hasnt translated to anything for Ross in the NFL.  That is the problem
Reply/Quote