Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dan Pitcher is new OC
Bengals QB coach Dan Pitcher has been hired as the new OC.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2024/1/24/24049687/dan-pitcher-bengals-offensive-coordinator-cincinnati-oc?fbclid=IwAR1_3A9RfLUVsPUYL6qJ9GJ8h85R4TYJJczT4RkzPLLmHRvLuAMT5GpK8NM
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Nice! I was very hopeful that this wouldn't fall through (I was concerned he'd be interested in taking an OC job where he's the playcaller.)
Reply/Quote
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Good news. #9 will be happy and they have worked well together so no “learning curve” to go through.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2024, 07:43 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Good news. #9 will be happy and they have worked well together so no “learning curve” to go through.

Continuity...

An In House solution

Pitcher and Callahan even look alike to some degree and both are in their late thirties. FWIW

Wonder just how much of his own Personal Touch Pitcher will be able to put on the Offense ?
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2024, 08:02 PM)depthchart Wrote: Wonder just how much of his own Personal Touch Pitcher will be able to put on the Offense ?

Likewise, I'm hoping any interviews attached to the Pitcher announcement reveal some fun tidbits for us fans to unpack. 
Reply/Quote
I expect the announcement of Brad Kragthrope's promotion to QB coach to follow quickly.

It was interesting that Ian noted how popular a candidate for OC Dan Pitcher was across the league. It isn't often the Bengals sign or produce the hot up-and-coming coach

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2024, 08:02 PM)depthchart Wrote: Continuity...

An In House solution

Pitcher and Callahan even look alike to some degree and both are in their late thirties. FWIW

Wonder just how much of his own Personal Touch Pitcher will be able to put on the Offense ?

Theres a ridiculously prevalent theme that permeates this organization and the offense. Listened just now to Jake saying Dan would value his opinion as a third string QB. We know Zac is very much that way.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Just hoping it gives Burrow comfort and continuity and I'm glad that we won't have to wait on a new coach to get used to working with Burrow and the rest of the offense to know what works.

I think Zac should at least let him try out play calling duties.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2024, 09:31 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Just hoping it gives Burrow comfort and continuity and I'm glad that we won't have to wait on a new coach to get used to working with Burrow and the rest of the offense to know what works.

I think Zac should at least let him try out play calling duties.

Zac usually lets the OC call preseason. But Dan will dramatically shape the call sheet.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2024, 09:34 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Zac usually lets the OC call preseason. But Dan will dramatically shape the call sheet.

I know but I mean in the regular season when it counts.

Hopefully, he Zac's impressed with him in the preseason (even with mostly backups) and gives him a chance in the regular season. The call sheet is also big but I hope that Burrow doesn't start liking Dan's calling more than Zac's and it becomes some rift.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2024, 09:39 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I know but I mean in the regular season when it counts.

Hopefully, he Zac's impressed with him in the preseason (even with mostly backups) and gives him a chance in the regular season. The call sheet is also big but I hope that Burrow doesn't start liking Dan's calling more than Zac's and it becomes some rift.

Unlikely Joe wants Dan over Zac. The offense’s efficiency is so good with recent observations

Reply/Quote
Pitcher has worked his way through the ranks the right way. So it’s good he’s getting his shot here.

Now throw us a bone and bring in a QBC from outside of the building.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2024, 09:48 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Unlikely Joe wants Dan over Zac

What makes you say that? 

Not trying to be argumentative or anything but I just think that Burrow knows how good the offense can be and wants to have someone that has worked with him more calling plays to fit his strength.

Maybe Burrow likes Zac more but I'd just maybe even have Pitcher call plays in practice in some game situations and see how Burrow and the entire offense performs.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2024, 09:52 PM)jj22 Wrote: Pitcher has worked his way through the ranks the right way. So it’s good he’s getting his shot here.

A high quality one that will help get the most out of Burrow ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2024, 09:56 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: What makes you say that? 

Not trying to be argumentative or anything but I just think that Burrow knows how good the offense can be and wants to have someone that has worked with him more calling plays to fit his strength.

Maybe Burrow likes Zac more but I'd just maybe even have Pitcher call plays in practice in some game situations and see how Burrow and the entire offense performs.

Joe has had too much to do with the offense. It’s patterned to everything he wants. He’s exceptional. I’m pretty certain what they did with Jake has resonated with him. It’s opened his eyes invariably. Joe’s got eyes. The offense finished with Joe 100% healthy 5 games only still managed to be according to ESPN stats and info #11 in touchdowns per drive.Its obvious they’ve gotten away from it. It got too dependent on Jamar & Tee to make the big play.

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2024, 09:52 PM)jj22 Wrote: Pitcher has worked his way through the ranks the right way. So it’s good he’s getting his shot here.

the odds are very slim you will get that bone.  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I wonder if the front office knows the two #1 seeds in the playoffs this year have had a competitive advantage by hiring minority coaches and then them leaving for promotions elsewhere. Resulting in extra picks for the Ravens and Niners.

If Joe can overcome this injury and be what he was. Good chance there is a steady stream of interest in our OC every year.

Take advantage of the rules man.
Reply/Quote
Rapien reported that Zac will still call the plays.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/will-zac-taylor-continue-to-call-plays

Quote:There are no plans to change the play calling duties at this time, league sources tell All Bengals.

Taylor will continue to call plays, but Pitcher's role will obviously expand in many ways.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2024, 11:16 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Rapien reported that Zac will still call the plays.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/will-zac-taylor-continue-to-call-plays

Of course look at Jake when he didn’t change the play

Reply/Quote