Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darrin Simmons on short list of HC names?
(12-18-2017, 02:45 AM)treee Wrote: I hope not. His unit has been terrible this year.

Even aside from how their units play...which is a huge red flag in itself...

He's been here forever. Hiring a coaching from within aside from guys who've only been here a year or 2 is pretty much assuring the team of business as usual.

Which may be what Mike Brown wants.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 08:19 PM)Utts Wrote: Darrin Simmons? I don’t know enough about the guy to have an opinion about him. I think it’s clear we’re not going to get a Tier 1 HC candidate, or even a Tier 2 for that matter. That doesn’t man a guy like Simmons couldn’t turn out to be a success, but just don’t expect a well known name hire.

“As for potential coaching candidates for the Bengals in 2018, special teams coach Darrin Simmons could be on the short list of names the franchise considers for the vacancy, Rapoport reported.”

Of course, this is all from the report, that Marvin is now denying.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000893735/article/marvin-lewis-bengals-planning-to-mutually-part-ways

Simmons has been here a long time. and has been pretty solid with special teams... minus the kickers but hey he don't kick the ball.

If no better prospects hes one of the better in house.  he would need to lean on his coordinators a lot though which might be a good thing
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 10:20 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Even aside from how their units play...which is a huge red flag in itself...

He's been here forever. Hiring a coaching from within aside from guys who've only been here a year or 2 is pretty much assuring the team of business as usual.

Which may be what Mike Brown wants.

Too much rampant speculation going on right now to know what will happen.  Too many people guessing.  Too soon to draw any conclusions. 

I realize jumping to conclusions is the only exercise some people get, but...
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
This would be the laziest of lazy hires.  I mean really......I'd be curious to see how many lifetime teams coaches have made it to be NFL HCs, and how many of those had any success.  

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 11:59 AM)McC Wrote: Too much rampant speculation going on right now to know what will happen.  Too many people guessing.  Too soon to draw ant conclusions. 

I realize jumping to conclusions is the only exercise some people get, but...

Actually, it seems like one would need to jump to conclusions to assume the Bengals would bring in an outside guy or a winner.  It's a very small jump to assume Mike Brown will promote from within and/or find another way to disappoint us.  We shall see, though.
Reply/Quote
Darrin Simmons makes a lot of sense when it comes to internal candidates. ST has been solid most years Simmons has been the coordinator for that, but I think another word to describe it would be unspectacular. The exciting moments from ST have been few and far between.

Because of that, I think Simmons might be a sound choice but I think a majority of the fan base would be rather let down by such a hire.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 01:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Actually, it seems like one would need to jump to conclusions to assume the Bengals would bring in an outside guy or a winner.  It's a very small jump to assume Mike Brown will promote from within and/or find another way to disappoint us.  We shall see, though.

Ever wonder why certain really good teams never lose their coordinators? It's because a lot of the teams with HC openings want to fill them in early January and the good teams are still playing in the playoffs. It's very rare that a team like the 49ers would be willing to wait until a guy like Kyle Shanahan was available in Feb.

That's why we've seen so many Bengals coaches poached but teams like Pittsburgh and New England keep theirs. Winning in January.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
No ... No .... and No ..... fresh blood please.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 01:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Darrin Simmons makes a lot of sense when it comes to internal candidates. ST has been solid most years Simmons has been the coordinator for that, but I think another word to describe it would be unspectacular. The exciting moments from ST have been few and far between.

Because of that, I think Simmons might be a sound choice but I think a majority of the fan base would be rather let down by such a hire.

His unit has been pretty bad this year as well.  He's been a part of this 15 years of bright lights ineptitude.  I'll pass. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 09:53 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Simmons isn't a minority.

Somehow I had him and Hayes transposed.  I'm a dumbass and will show myself to the door while still praying it not an in-house guy.
Reply/Quote
I know Bill Belichick can be Lou Holtz-like when it comes to praising the opposition, but he has spoken glowingly of Simmons in the past.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 01:56 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I know Bill Belichick can be Lou Holtz-like when it comes to praising the opposition, but he has spoken glowingly of Simmons in the past.

Ol' Bill probably would like for us to be better so we quit handing the Steelers so many wins every year.
Reply/Quote
Josh McDaniels..

We need a Patriotsesk mold in here.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 01:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ever wonder why certain really good teams never lose their coordinators? It's because a lot of the teams with HC openings want to fill them in early January and the good teams are still playing in the playoffs. It's very rare that a team like the 49ers would be willing to wait until a guy like Kyle Shanahan was available in Feb.

That's why we've seen so many Bengals coaches poached but teams like Pittsburgh and New England keep theirs. Winning in January.

That's a good point.

I also think that teams realize that IF a coach can succeed in Cincinnati with a front office that doesn't really use free agency...that they are suited to win in any organization.

While a coach for teams like Pitt and NE get great front office people and scouts and generally get great players handed to them via the draft and sometimes free agency.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 02:07 PM)Shouldamapads Wrote: Josh McDaniels..

We need a Patriotsesk mold in here.

So far, based on ex-Patriot coaches becoming HC's, the Patriot Way has not traveled worth a damn.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 02:12 PM)McC Wrote: So far, based on ex-Patriot coaches becoming HC's, the Patriot Way has not traveled worth a damn.

Yes. Because the team they get hired to can't duplicate the Patriots system and doesn't have the Patriots personnel dept.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 02:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes. Because the team they get hired to can't duplicate the Patriots system and doesn't have the Patriots personnel dept.

Or Bill, who is a one of a kind.

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 02:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's a good point.

I also think that teams realize that IF a coach can succeed in Cincinnati with a front office that doesn't really use free agency...that they are suited to win in any organization.

While a coach for teams like Pitt and NE get great front office people and scouts and generally get great players handed to them via the draft and sometimes free agency.

I'm trying to think of the last great HC to come from either Tomlin or Belichick coaching tree...
Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weiss, Eric Mangini, and Josh McDaniels all were mediocre at best.
Arians has done well for the most part with Arizona and his interim gig with Indy since leaving Pittsburgh.

Todd Haley might be a hot name but he came under Tomlin after being fired as HC of the Chiefs. He was 19-26 with the Chiefs. He's had success as an OC but he's had one HOF QB (Warner) and another destined HOF QB (Roethlisberger) while being OC.
Would Keith Butler ever consider being a HC? He had been the Steelers' LB coach for 12 years before taking over as DC and has made their defense formidable again. But he's 61 years old, so he might be a lifer with Pittsburgh at this point.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 02:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm trying to think of the last great HC to come from either Tomlin or Belichick coaching tree...
Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weiss, Eric Mangini, and Josh McDaniels all were mediocre at best.
Arians has done well for the most part with Arizona and his interim gig with Indy since leaving Pittsburgh.

Todd Haley might be a hot name but he came under Tomlin after being fired as HC of the Chiefs. He was 19-26 with the Chiefs. He's had success as an OC but he's had one HOF QB (Warner) and another destined HOF QB (Roethlisberger) while being OC.
Would Keith Butler ever consider being a HC? He had been the Steelers' LB coach for 12 years before taking over as DC and has made their defense formidable again. But he's 61 years old, so he might be a lifer with Pittsburgh at this point.

Todd Haley's personality would NEVER work here. NEVER. The Bengals would NEVER consider hiring him.

As much as it sucks, I think you'll see someone with ties to here: Simmons, Haslett, Vance Johnson, Jay Gruden, Hue Jackson, or Guenther.

IF I had to handicap it, I'd say Jackson if he is fired by the Browns then Guenther.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 01:16 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: His unit has been pretty bad this year as well.  He's been a part of this 15 years of bright lights ineptitude.  I'll pass. 

Yeah. I have a hard time with a guy taking over at HC who is on the staff that has stood by and watched these clowns quit being promoted. Every last one of them need to go, and they can take half the players with them.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote