Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dave Lapham second round selection
(04-23-2020, 02:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Definitely possible, good point, would just think there would be a LB at 33 that would be more versatile than Brooks
or maybe we could even trade back, get Brooks while adding another pick. Then we could get that other more versatile
LB later that can cover like Pratt. With us being in a 3-4 hybrid it means we don't need as many stack backers.

I've badmouthed a few prospects for their listed weaknesses, but honestly Brooks is a pretty solid player when asked to do what he's best at.  I know that I've made folly of him getting gassed in the Oklahoma game, however in the NFL teams just aren't going to run 90+ plays/game like they do at the collegiate level.

Where I would like to see a little more polish on him for the early 2nd round, is in his play diagnosis.  In some of the clips that I've watched of him, he does tend to guess the wrong gap on some inside runs.  That could be deadly to have happen, when facing a Nick Chubb or Run CMC, etc.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Here's a mock from a few minutes ago that shows him going to GB at 30

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-mock-draft-patriots-trade-up-for-tua-tagovailoa-in-jason-la-canforas-one-and-only-mock/
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 03:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I've badmouthed a few prospects for their listed weaknesses, but honestly Brooks is a pretty solid player when asked to do what he's best at.  I know that I've made folly of him getting gassed in the Oklahoma game, however in the NFL teams just aren't going to run 90+ plays/game like they do at the collegiate level.

Where I would like to see a little more polish on him for the early 2nd round, is in his play diagnosis.  In some of the clips that I've watched of him, he does tend to guess the wrong gap on some inside runs.  That could be deadly to have happen, when facing a Nick Chubb or Run CMC, etc.

Also would like to see Brooks not get as lost as he does in the passing game.

Not cool if even in the run game he has some problems.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 12:08 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: According to this, we're going BPA.

No reaching.

So, it could be anybody.

I can't wait until tonight. We'll get a much clearer picture of who's going to be BPA at #33.

Unless it's a corner then they will pick a LB they never really Go BPA they just say they do.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 03:12 PM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: Here's a mock from a few minutes ago that shows him going to GB at 30

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-mock-draft-patriots-trade-up-for-tua-tagovailoa-in-jason-la-canforas-one-and-only-mock/

To me, the biggest "shocker" of that mock, is Jeremy Chinn going to Dallas at #17.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 03:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: To me, the biggest "shocker" of that mock, is Jeremy Chinn going to Dallas at #17.

Mine was Tua going to NE. I don't believe they have a second rounder, so they'd have to come off both there 3rd and maybe another low round pick to move up 10 spots.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 02:58 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: You’re right Baltimore passes way more than they run lmao smh

And yet, 2 of their top 3 receivers were TEs, and 3 of their top 5.

- - - - - - - -

Picture this: Your defense manages to contain the run on the first two downs and now it's 3rd and 6. What is Baltimore going to do with the ball?

If you can't cover the TEs, it doesn't matter if you can stop the run, because you won't be able to stop them converting 3rd down and extending the drive. The Ravens had 3 TEs with 30+ catches last year, including their leading receiver being a TE.

Of the 125 catches they had in 2019, they produced 73 first downs (58.4%).

The Ravens had more receptions and first downs from their top 3 TE than the Kansas City Chiefs did, and the Chiefs had Travis Kelce.

Stopping the Ravens offense isn't just about stopping the run, because once you commit to stopping the run they will just dink it to the TE in order to pull you back off the run. Lamar Jackson had 69.4% completion when throwing to his top 3 TEs. That's why the Ravens had the 2nd best 3rd down conversion rate in the league in 2019 at 47% and the best 4th down conversion rate in the league at 71%.

lmao smh

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Gay is a risk but a better fit for Bengals, but I do like Brooks. I still think Bengals will take Mims if he is there or take a top OL if he is there at #33.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 03:12 PM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: Here's a mock from a few minutes ago that shows him going to GB at 30

7 OTs in the first. Woof.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 03:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And yet, 2 of their top 3 receivers were TEs, and 3 of their top 5.

- - - - - - - -

Picture this: Your defense manages to contain the run on the first two downs and now it's 3rd and 6. What is Baltimore going to do with the ball?

If you can't cover the TEs, it doesn't matter if you can stop the run, because you won't be able to stop them converting 3rd down and extending the drive. The Ravens had 3 TEs with 30+ catches last year, including their leading receiver being a TE.

If you can stop them from running effectively, you limit their play calling options significantly, and at least have a fighting chance. If you can't stop them from running, you're screwed. They ran for an insane 3,296 yards (averaging 5.5 yards per carry) last year, compared to 3,225 passing. They ran for 170+ yards 14 times. Everything they do is set up and based around the run game.
Reply/Quote
People seem to be forgetting what else Lapham said...they'd take Queen in a dream scenario.
Maybe people aren't talking about that because they don't think it will happen, but the Bengals considered Jonah Williams a dream scenario and he ended up being there for them last year.

Maybe we should be talking less about Brooks and more about Queen.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Surely we can do better than Brooks in the second. There has to be mediocre blocking TE on the board.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 04:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Surely we can do better than Brooks in the second. There has to be mediocre blocking TE on the board.

Need to update that sig to remove Dennard, may need to update it again in a year to remove WJ3 and/or Lawson.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 04:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Need to update that sig to remove Dennard, may need to update it again in a year to remove WJ3 and/or Lawson.

I do know who will go front and center in the update
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 04:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I do know who will go front and center in the update

DREW SAMPLE?!  Ninja
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 11:17 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: This guy knows his stuff, he’s predicted the last 10 or whatever first rounders.  After Burrow he came out with his prediction for round 2 recently.  It’s Jordyn Brooks LB from Texas Tech.    I mentioned this guy about a week ago after watching his game film.   Plays like Burfict with better speed.   Another run stopper seems to fit what the bengals are heading .  

He also mentioned Baun , Queen if he’s there and OT Wilson. I’m surprised no WR mention but it makes sense.  Brooks reminds me of Burfict / Wagner without the pass coverage skills though.

Thank goodness its a LB, another TE and i would snap. Ha!
Reply/Quote
My Guess is the Bengals trade back in round 2 like they have the last few years. They need more picks. If they do, Brooks or Gay makes more sense.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Not a fan of Brooks earlier than the 4th. He looks way too raw, his best plays came against bumf**k state where he's tackling guys who look slow as molasses, he hasn't proven that he can cover man to man(strength of the secondary), and he's billed as a 2 down run thumper who can't stack and shed. I fail to see how this guy is not a day 3 prospect. 
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 01:02 PM)Benton Wrote: Ok... that's who he's guessing for the second.

But... what about his prediction on the first?

Mellow

Justin Herbert...and we won't trade back.

Mellow
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Even with a hand full of 1st rounders still there at 33, my prediction is us taking someone who could have been had in the 4th rd and a few of us ‘fan boys’ back the almighty front office of this disfunctional organization. I’ve seen this play out before. Wash, rinse, repeat.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote