Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeVonta Smith could make our offense unstoppable.
(01-16-2021, 12:46 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: QKU8tR.gif]

Machine, maybe?  Well oiled, not so much..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 04:54 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: Forget drafting an offensive lineman in the first round - get one in FA.

DeVonta Smith would solidify our WR group as the best in the NFL.

I like Devontae but would be afraid his size could be a problem in the NFL.

Look what Jalen Ramsay did to AJ Green who is a lot bigger than Devontae Smith.

NFL corners may be able to manhandle him at the line of scrimmage.

I would rather gamble on a sure thing in J'Marr Chase.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 11:52 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I like Devontae but would be afraid his size could be a problem in the NFL.

thing in J'Marr Chase.

Any top CB  should at times cover a top WR..its really can Smith get off the line against the 90% of other CBs... I would say yes plus  he is not going to be a stationary WR.. he has the ability more than Chase to really be used in various sets and motions which won't require the scenario of face to face on the line.   Also lets look at recent history of the success of players like Brown ,Hill, Locket... small quick Wrs.... Also we see every year a bigger WR gets hurt also...

I like to see some real facts on the size of WR and injuries in proportion to their size that would help this discussion.. 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 11:52 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I like Devontae but would be afraid his size could be a problem in the NFL.

thing in J'Marr Chase.

You worry about his size then give a example of someone not his size. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 01:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You worry about his size then give a example of someone not his size. 

I read an article recently I cannot find again but it said only five receivers under 180lbs have put up 1k seasons and only three of them have more than one 1k year. Desean Jackson (5), Emmanuel Sanders (3), and Brian Hartline (2).

I'm not saying Devonta Smith cant be one of those guys just thought it was interesting.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/weight-and-injuries

If you scroll down to the position groups, you see that there are more injuries to WRs in the 170-190 group than there are in the 190-210 group. The only group with a higher injury rate are the heaviest WRs, 230-250. 210-230 is lower than the lightest and heaviest.

https://model284.com/my-model-monday-modeling-nfl-injuries/

Scroll down to the WR graph. Findings are below the graph.

The strongest predictors of injuries for Wide Receivers are targets from season prior (higher = more injury prone), height (taller = more injury prone), weight (lighter = more injury prone), yards per game from season prior (lower = more injury prone), fumbles (higher = more injury prone), and games missed in season prior (higher = more injury prone).
Many of the players at the top of the list have thin frames (Will Fuller) or missed games in the prior year (Odell Beckham).
Players of note with low injury risk: JuJu Smith Schuster, Doug Baldwin, Julio Jones, Tyreke Hill.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 02:26 PM)Synric Wrote: I read an article recently I cannot find again but it said only five receivers under 180lbs have put up 1k seasons and only three of them have more than one 1k year. Desean Jackson (5), Emmanuel Sanders (3), and Brian Hartline (2).

I'm not saying Devonta Smith cant be one of those guys just thought it was interesting.

His performance of being healthy in college speaks well for him... Brown has not had any real issues of healthy he clocks in around 180...and we see Wrs come into the league and normally get stronger with the NFL level trainers and weightroom over college... 

We know he is a game changer on the field in college, i don;t think teams are going to pass on him 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 04:58 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: His performance of being healthy in college speaks well for him... Brown has not had any real issues of healthy he clocks in around 180...and we see Wrs come into the league and normally get stronger with the NFL level trainers and weightroom over college... 

We know he is a game changer on the field in college, i don;t think teams are going to pass on him 

Brown is listed at 185, and he has 3" less to spread 10lb more over.

6'1, 175 is just real real thin for an NFL player. He's just catching the flu away from looking like a skeleton.

[Image: web1_1-6-Devonta-Smith.jpg]

I don't know how much faith I have in him once 4.3-4.4 CBs who outweigh him by 20lbs start jamming him hard at the LoS to prevent him from getting a clean release. College CBs couldn't do it because they didn't have the speed to keep up, but everyone in the NFL is faster.

William Jackson is 6'0, 196lbs and ran a 4.37 and he's by no means unique in the NFL. Even if Smith doesn't break, he's still going to get manhandled.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 08:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Brown is listed at 185, and he has 3" less to spread 10lb more over.

6'1, 175 is just real real thin for an NFL player. He's just catching the flu away from looking like a skeleton.

[Image: web1_1-6-Devonta-Smith.jpg]

I don't know how much faith I have in him once 4.3-4.4 CBs who outweigh him by 20lbs start jamming him hard at the LoS to prevent him from getting a clean release. College CBs couldn't do it because they didn't have the speed to keep up, but everyone in the NFL is faster.

William Jackson is 6'0, 196lbs and ran a 4.37 and he's by no means unique in the NFL. Even if Smith doesn't break, he's still going to get manhandled.
Dont see it, he took hits in college and also made many look bad.. he just adds more to Bengals than Chase though I dont want WR at #5 but if it is Smith to me is the pic.. just looks special .finally as I stated many college WRs put on weight and get stronger.. nfl is a different level with trainers and weights than college.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 02:26 PM)Synric Wrote: I read an article recently I cannot find again but it said only five receivers under 180lbs have put up 1k seasons and only three of them have more than one 1k year. Desean Jackson (5), Emmanuel Sanders (3), and Brian Hartline (2).

Seems they're about as common as WRs winning the Heisman. 

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 08:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: web1_1-6-Devonta-Smith.jpg]

Looks a lot like this dude:

[Image: ee1980db33fa6d0e6d28e44ec3f95297.jpg]

Folks are trippin'

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 10:51 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Dont see it, he took hits in college and also made many look bad.. he just adds more to Bengals than Chase though I dont want WR at #5 but if it is Smith to me is the pic.. just looks special .finally as I stated many college WRs put on weight and get stronger.. nfl is a different level with trainers and weights than college.

Very few WRs get noticibly bigger after they're in the NFL. Maybe a couple lbs, but that's it. 

You keep saying he adds more but that's not true. He doesn't do anything different than Chase does. You don't think Chase can go in motion? Run routes from the slot? Take an end around? Smith isn't more of a matchup problem because they're about the same height but Smith is lighter and doesn't run faster than Chase. 

Where exactly are these matchup problems?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I was super impressed with Smith in the National Championship.. but after taking some time and thinking about it.

Give me Chase all day every day.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
I don’t think either is an AJ or Julio. And I don’t think a 3rd WR is the most pressing need we have.

I like them both. But not at 5
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 11:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Very few WRs get noticibly bigger after they're in the NFL. Maybe a couple lbs, but that's it. 

You keep saying he adds more but that's not true. He doesn't do anything different than Chase does. You don't think Chase can go in motion? Run routes from the slot? Take an end around? Smith isn't more of a matchup problem because they're about the same height but Smith is lighter and doesn't run faster than Chase. 

Where exactly are these matchup problems?

He is not as versatile, Chase strength is more as a set WR, Smith adds a  more of a dimension we are missing, can line up in back field for example, much better in motion. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 01:18 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: He is not as versatile, Chase strength is more as a set WR, Smith adds a  more of a dimension we are missing, can line up in back field for example, much better in motion. 

lol. That doesn't make even a little bit of sense. What tangible evidence do you have that says Chase is a "set WR" (whatever that is) and Smith is more dimensional?

What keeps Chase from lining up in the backfield? 

How is Smith "better in motion"?

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 01:18 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: He is not as versatile, Chase strength is more as a set WR, Smith adds a  more of a dimension we are missing, can line up in back field for example, much better in motion. 

I like slim as much as anyone, but he's not lining up in the backfield anytime soon. 

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 12:52 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I don’t think either is an AJ or Julio. And I don’t think a 3rd WR is the most pressing need we have.

I like them both. But not at 5

I'm kinda with you on this. The problem is WR is where the top tier prospects are in this draft. Although some here are trying to discredit DS, he's an elite prospect and so it Chase. He;; when Waddle runs in the 4.2s he'll be in the same category. I'd like the following over WR #3:

Parsons
Paye
Surtain II
Darrisaw
Sewell

I hope we don't go WR#3 at 5OA, but if we do, we'll get a great prospect regardless on ankle size. 

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 02:02 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm kinda with you on this. The problem is WR is where the top tier prospects are in this draft. Although some here are trying to discredit DS, he's an elite prospect and so it Chase. He;; when Waddle runs in the 4.2s he'll be in the same category. I'd like the following over WR #3:

Parsons
Paye
Surtain II
Darrisaw
Sewell

I hope we don't go WR#3 at 5OA, but if we do, we'll get a great prospect regardless on ankle size. 

How many yards/tds can a wr3 get in this offense? Also you have to weigh a players long term potential too, like is chase/ smiths potential better than Higgins to be a wr1 in the next couple years.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2021, 12:09 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: How many yards/tds can a wr3 get in this offense? Also you have to weigh a players long term potential too, like is chase/ smiths potential better than Higgins to be a wr1 in the next couple years.

Ofc it is. Just look at Justin Jefferson this year (who Chase out produced in 2019). He is already clearly the Vikes #1. And Thielen is a really good WR.

Reply/Quote