Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dennard is back
He's not signing until Monday, so I don't think they will release it before it is signed.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 03:27 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Absolutely not.

Shawn Williams completely balled out from a statistical POV last year and did a lot of great things, yet people talk about him as some sort of scrub. And even HE might not be our most underrated player.

Dennard is good player, you can't take that away from him.

But everyone and their mother is overrating him; there's a reason why his price came down quite a bit from what he was looking for and that there was no market for him.
People have been harsh on both this off sseason.You can throw Dre in the discussion as well. In all honesty our Secondary has a whole is underrated as they were rated 7th by PFF last year.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 06:46 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: People have been harsh on both this off sseason.You can throw Dre in the discussion as well. In all honesty our Secondary has a whole is underrated as they were rated 7th by PFF last year.

And rating 7th with a crap linebacker line in front of them says a lot....
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 06:46 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: People have been harsh on both this off sseason.You can throw Dre in the discussion as well. In all honesty our Secondary has a whole is underrated as they were rated 7th by PFF last year.

Agree wholeheartedly.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I certainly don't blame Dennard for trying to catch financial lightning in a bottle. The problem for him was he was never able to negotiate from a position of strength playing for last season's Bengal's defense. It was like saying, "Look! I had an ok season on arguably the worst defense in the game.. Aren't I worth a gazillion bucks at least?" Answer: Uhhh...no.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 12:12 PM)Benton Wrote: That was my guess. A year with high incentives. He gets a chance to prove he's worth what he thinks he's worth and the Bengals don't have to worry about a corner this year. With Webb, they've got a little depth.

Dennard's history almost guarantees he'll miss games this season.  He's a willing tackler in run support but it comes at a price.  And it would be really nice if someone could get him to find the ball batter in coverage.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

Williams is definitely an above average to good safety.

IF I was going to come up with a criticism for him, it would be that he isn't always a sure tackler.

His coverage skills are improving each season too.

With Bates, Williams, and Fej...Safety may be our best position group on the entire roster.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 07:49 PM)McC Wrote: Dennard's history almost guarantees he'll miss games this season.  He's a willing tackler in run support but it comes at a price.  And it would be really nice if someone could get him to find the ball batter in coverage.

See...I think that's a great assessment of Dennard.

The interception thing is definitely a concern I have. You can probably get by with 1 CB who doesn't really intercept passes, but we really have 3 of them. In the modern NFL, you need to generate turnovers to stop offenses.

That said, I think bringing Dennard back was the right move. 1-4 we have a very formideable CB group. Webb as a #4 is REALLY good. Webb as a #2 or 3 wouldn't be soo good.

Plus, Webb will be an asset on special teams. I really feel like our kick coverage should be somewhat improved, not that it was bad.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 07:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: See...I think that's a great assessment of Dennard.

The interception thing is definitely a concern I have. You can probably get by with 1 CB who doesn't really intercept passes, but we really have 3 of them. In the modern NFL, you need to generate turnovers to stop offenses.

That said, I think bringing Dennard back was the right move. 1-4 we have a very formideable CB group. Webb as a #4 is REALLY good. Webb as a #2 or 3 wouldn't be soo good.

Plus, Webb will be an asset on special teams. I really feel like our kick coverage should be somewhat improved, not that it was bad.
If you ask me, passes defensed is a very big stat for a CB.  Passes that can't even be intercepted can often be batted away.  How frustrating is it to see a CB step for step with a receiver and still give up a reception cuz he couldn't locate and play the ball?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 08:40 PM)McC Wrote: If you ask me, passes defensed is a very big stat for a CB.  Passes that can't even be intercepted can often be batted away.  How frustrating is it to see a CB step for step with a receiver and still give up a reception cuz he couldn't locate and play the ball?

Yep. And not being able to locate the ball can lead to pass interference calls more often too.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 08:40 PM)McC Wrote: If you ask me, passes defensed is a very big stat for a CB.  Passes that can't even be intercepted can often be batted away.  How frustrating is it to see a CB step for step with a receiver and still give up a reception cuz he couldn't locate and play the ball?

(03-23-2019, 09:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. And not being able to locate the ball can lead to pass interference calls more often too.

Playing the receivers face, and failing to locate the ball, has been my biggest complaint about Darqueze Dennard.  He played that way exclusively at Michigan St. and never was able to get coached out of that habit with the Bengals.  I think that he's way too cemented in his habits to expect anything different from him, going forward.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 11:53 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Playing the receivers face, and failing to locate the ball, has been my biggest complaint about Darqueze Dennard.  He played that way exclusively at Michigan St. and never was able to get coached out of that habit with the Bengals.  I think that he's way too cemented in his habits to expect anything different from him, going forward.

I know he's had a couple in the NFL, but the only interception I remember him ever getting was against Ohio State in the Big 10 championship game... Thanks Dennard.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

Dre is horrendous, besides our O-line I didn't get real upset with anyone's play last year because of all the injuries...except Dre, he is just awful. I nick named him Crispy Critter, cause he get's burnt so much.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
Still no numbers on this signing. Come on!

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 11:29 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: Dre is horrendous, besides our O-line I didn't get real upset with anyone's play last year because of all the injuries...except Dre, he is just awful. I nick named him Crispy Critter, cause he get's burnt so much.

Dre is FAR from horrendous.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
According to Rapaport it was only $5mil. I wonder if the rest is incentive

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 11:29 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: Dre is horrendous, besides our O-line I didn't get real upset with anyone's play last year because of all the injuries...except Dre, he is just awful. I nick named him Crispy Critter, cause he get's burnt so much.

He gave up 44% completion last season #1 in the league for corners that qualified.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

(03-24-2019, 11:53 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Playing the receivers face, and failing to locate the ball, has been my biggest complaint about Darqueze Dennard.  He played that way exclusively at Michigan St. and never was able to get coached out of that habit with the Bengals.  I think that he's way too cemented in his habits to expect anything different from him, going forward.

Yup,

It almost amazes me the amount of people that were banging hard on the bring Dennard back drum, because he's so good and we can't live without him !

When he doesn't disrupt passes at all and hardly ever gets interceptions. His career Int's total equal a very MEH season for the upper level CB's.
Reply/Quote