Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dennard is back
I'm surprised Dennard signed and happy.

Dennard is more technically sound than Kirkpatrick and can play inside or outside. Dennard's speed just isn't quite there though.

I saw him blow up several WR screens last year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I will forever continue to believe that Dennard has been miscast in his role at CB. He's decent there, but he has zero ball instincts and hands of stone. I legitimately think he would have been a great safety with his tackling skills. He seems to know how to blow up some screens and runs, just can't get his hands on the ball and keep them on it.

I like him a lot better than Kirkpatrick, because they both can't catch an INT, but at least Dennard can make the tackle, and doesn't give you stupid penalties.

Wish I could see him play a season at SS. (presuming he knew he was going to play there, so put on 5-10 pounds in the offseason in preparation.)

Need to see the money involved, but I like this deal, though I really question WJ3/Dennard/Kirkpatrick's ability to intercept some passes. Last year they combined for 0 INT and the Bengals led the NFL in dropped INTs (with 14).

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 03:44 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I will forever continue to believe that Dennard has been miscast in his role at CB. He's decent there, but he has zero ball instincts and hands of stone. I legitimately think he would have been a great safety with his tackling skills. He seems to know how to blow up some screens and runs, just can't get his hands on the ball and keep them on it.

I like him a lot better than Kirkpatrick, because they both can't catch an INT, but at least Dennard can make the tackle, and doesn't give you stupid penalties.

Wish I could see him play a season at SS. (presuming he knew he was going to play there, so put on 5-10 pounds in the offseason in preparation.)

Need to see the money involved, but I like this deal, though I really question WJ3/Dennard/Kirkpatrick's ability to intercept some passes. Last year they combined for 0 INT and the Bengals led the NFL in dropped INTs (with 14).

Exactly,

The guy rarely gets his hands up and never gets his head turned, never ! He has a grand total of 3 interceptions in his 5 NFL seasons. A very MEH signing to me. Maybe slightly better than Hart but not much.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully we hear the numbers Dennard signed for today. Definitely will make a difference on if I like it or not. I believe the reason Dennard wanted so much to begin with was him thinking he’s better than Dre K. Can’t blame him for trying to get paid, but he should have realized Dre doesn’t deserve what he is making.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 10:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Do we know he came back at a discounted price? I see nothing on salary.

No that was joke.
Reply/Quote
Hobs says it sounds like a 1 year deal.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 08:00 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Hopefully we hear the numbers Dennard signed for today. Definitely will make a difference on if I like it or not. I believe the reason Dennard wanted so much to begin with was him thinking he’s better than Dre K. Can’t blame him for trying to get paid, but he should have realized Dre doesn’t deserve what he is making.

He's also not better than Kirkpatrick, regardless. Since Dennard wanted 10 million a year, and the Bengals said no and let him walk to test the waters, I'm assuming that when he found out no one else was willing to pay that either, he came back at a lessor deal. Once again, the front office making good moves..... oh how that screws the narrative.... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 10:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It is interesting to note that Jackson has 1 career int in 2 years, Dennard 3 ints in 5 years, and Kirkpatrick has 10 ints in 7 years.

Turnovers are king in the NFL for defenses and our secondary is poor as far as interceptions.

There are other stats to measure their performance, but ints is definitely a huge state for CB's.

...and yet your beloved PFF was ready to anoint William Jackson III as the next elite CB 2 years ago even with the lack of INTs. We've seen the effect he can have on catch rates, passer ratings allowed, yards allowed per coverage, etc. Give me a guy like that over a gambler who'll get you a handful of interceptions in exchange for getting repeatedly burnt any day.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 11:17 AM)jj22 Wrote: Hobs says it sounds like a 1 year deal.

That was my guess. A year with high incentives. He gets a chance to prove he's worth what he thinks he's worth and the Bengals don't have to worry about a corner this year. With Webb, they've got a little depth.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 12:11 PM)NKURyan Wrote: ...and yet your beloved PFF was ready to anoint William Jackson III as the next elite CB 2 years ago even with the lack of INTs. We've seen the effect he can have on catch rates, passer ratings allowed, yards allowed per coverage, etc. Give me a guy like that over a gambler who'll get you a handful of interceptions in exchange for getting repeatedly burnt any day.

Do you think that maybe as a 3rd CB it's easier to 'win' than a #1 or #2 guy as you're going against better receivers as a 1 or 2.

IF you switched Dennard and Kirkpatrick, Dennard would struggle mightily and Kirkpatrick would look really good.

It's EXACTLY what we saw with Jackson as he moved from Slot CB to a #1 or #2 guy.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 12:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Do you think that maybe as a 3rd CB it's easier to 'win' than a #1 or #2 guy as you're going against better receivers as a 1 or 2.

IF you switched Dennard and Kirkpatrick, Dennard would struggle mightily and Kirkpatrick would look really good.

It's EXACTLY what we saw with Jackson as he moved from Slot CB to a #1 or #2 guy.

If that's the logic we want to go with, the 3rd CB probably gets a lot less chances to get an INT since the ball is going to go towards the #1 or #2 guy more often. And it's not like teams don't lineup there best wide receivers in the slot all the time anyways. I would think that PFF rankings take quality of who a CB is covering into account in coming up with their grades... if they didn't, it would be a pretty crappy grading system IMO.

I've never said Dennard should start over Kirkpatrick.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 12:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Do you think that maybe as a 3rd CB it's easier to 'win' than a #1 or #2 guy as you're going against better receivers as a 1 or 2.

The WR who lines up in the slot is not always the #3 WR and generally isn't. In many cases it's the #1. We put Green and Boyd in the slot all the time.

Reply/Quote
We do. Some teams do. Many don't.
Reply/Quote
I am happy to have him back and wholeheartedly agree with LeonardLeap and others that he is miscast as a corner. This guy should have been a SS.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
He is our most underrated player on defense and a huge asset for us in Nickle packages.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 03:07 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He is our most underrated player on defense and a huge asset for us in Nickle packages.

Absolutely not.

Shawn Williams completely balled out from a statistical POV last year and did a lot of great things, yet people talk about him as some sort of scrub. And even HE might not be our most underrated player.

Dennard is good player, you can't take that away from him.

But everyone and their mother is overrating him; there's a reason why his price came down quite a bit from what he was looking for and that there was no market for him.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Teams probably saw our horrifying interception stat from last year.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 07:20 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Are those real numbers? Please tell me you were joking

Ok 3 years, 95.8, 32.8 guaranteed.

Such a stickler...
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
Contract details?
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 06:07 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: Contract details?

3 yr $21 million?
Reply/Quote