Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Bengals get best of BB in day 2 trade?
Well according to ESPN, yes and was 3rd best trade value in the entire draft.

"Just three picks before this trade, the Broncos paid a fourth-round pick and got back a sixth-rounder to move up five spots. Here, the Patriots dealt two fourth-rounders without getting anything back to move up eight spots and draft Alabama defensive tackle Christian Barmore.

Bottom line: The Bengals got Bill Belichick to pay up here, increasing the value of their original No. 38 pick by roughly 60%. With the picks acquired, Cincinnati selected offensive tackle Jackson Carman in the second round and then defensive tackle Tyler Shelvin and offensive tackle D'Ante Smith."

Thoughts? I know hard to see in next 2021 if a great move or a bad move us passing on 2 OT's who appear game ready in 2021. But, it appears we have 3 guys versus 1 who may become NFL starters at some point.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 12:54 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Well according to ESPN, yes and was 3rd best trade value in the entire draft.

"Just three picks before this trade, the Broncos paid a fourth-round pick and got back a sixth-rounder to move up five spots. Here, the Patriots dealt two fourth-rounders without getting anything back to move up eight spots and draft Alabama defensive tackle Christian Barmore.

Bottom line: The Bengals got Bill Belichick to pay up here, increasing the value of their original No. 38 pick by roughly 60%. With the picks acquired, Cincinnati selected offensive tackle Jackson Carman in the second round and then defensive tackle Tyler Shelvin and offensive tackle D'Ante Smith."

Thoughts? I know hard to see in next 2021 if a great move or a bad move us passing on 2 OT's who appear game ready in 2021. But, it appears we have 3 guys versus 1 who may become NFL starters at some point.

I loved it. Made sense. Lots of players there in both the 2nd & 4th rounds that fit the Bengals well. Not sure how anyone dislikes this trade.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 12:54 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Well according to ESPN, yes and was 3rd best trade value in the entire draft.

I don't think there is much question this was the right move. Maybe if we needed a starting tackle day one it would be different, but we didn't, we have Jonah and Riley set to start. Carmen will start at guard and maybe work his way out to tackle, but I expect Shelvin is going to be a force, and the scuttle on Smith is once he grows into an NFL body he may well be the steal of the draft because his mechanics are so good. Sometimes, fans need to sit back and enjoy a win and admit the Bengals kicked butt in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 12:59 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't think there is much question this was the right move. Maybe if we needed a starting tackle day one it would be different, but we didn't, we have Jonah and Riley set to start. Carmen will start at guard and maybe work his way out to tackle, but I expect Shelvin is going to be a force, and the scuttle on Smith is once he grows into an NFL body he may well be the steal of the draft because his mechanics are so good. Sometimes, fans need to sit back and enjoy a win and admit the Bengals kicked butt in the draft.

Greg Cosell and others seem to have a different take on Smith.  I believe the interest in him lies in his athleticism and length.  He's quite a project, and was my least favorite pick.  Hopefully I'm dead wrong.

As far as trades go, it ultimately comes down to how badly a team wants a particular player.  I thought the Cowboys fleeced the Eagles by extracting a third rounder to go down two spots.
Reply/Quote

The exact point is right there. The two 4th round picks was a lot, but when your team has soooo many holes and can draft an immediate starter then passes, it's tough to swollow. Teven Jenkins will be a starting RT for the Bears for the next 10 years or more. The Bengals don't have a clue what a 10 year starter is on the OL anymore.

If these 4th round picks are anything like the 4th round picks from the past two years, then they'll just eat a roster spot while f'ing up.

Reply/Quote
I was on the phone with my bro when this trade came through and he was apprehensive about the trade but I was sooo pumped cuz we got not one but two 4th rounders from it and still got our guy. I don’t think there was a better draft day trade coupled with the fact we got one on bill billicheck
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 03:15 PM)BengalChris Wrote: The exact point is right there. The two 4th round picks was a lot, but when your team has soooo many holes and can draft an immediate starter then passes, it's tough to swollow. Teven Jenkins will be a starting RT for the Bears for the next 10 years or more. The Bengals don't have a clue what a 10 year starter is on the OL anymore.

If these 4th round picks are anything like the 4th round picks from the past two years, then they'll just eat a roster spot while f'ing up.

The Bengals drafted an immediate starter in Carman and picked up two 4th rounders. It was a great move.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 03:15 PM)BengalChris Wrote: The exact point is right there. The two 4th round picks was a lot, but when your team has soooo many holes and can draft an immediate starter then passes, it's tough to swollow. Teven Jenkins will be a starting RT for the Bears for the next 10 years or more. The Bengals don't have a clue what a 10 year starter is on the OL anymore.

Maybe. Jenkins is a stiff player and may end up at guard. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

Really disagree with you. Jenkins IMO was overhyped. Not saying he is bad, but why can't Carmen not be a 10 or starter?
As to the OP, I thought it was a brilliant move. We got the player we wanted still and 2 additional picks. I'm not going to pretend I know anything about Smith, because I don't. I do know he isn't be asked to start. Shelvin is going to be a load!
Reply/Quote
I think it will be a year or two before we know. Not being a draft expert by any means it looked to me like few projected to be good O-line players were drafted after the 6th pick the Bengals traded to the Patriots and before the Bengals pick (Jenkins, Eichenberg and Little). So it could be a rather complicated formula to see if the trade down pans out.

If just one of those three mentioned above turns out to be great and Carman is just decent then I can see people complaining about the trade down. But if just one of those three is great and Carman is just decent and even just 1 of the players the Bengals drafted in the 4th with those extra picks turns out great then it would appear to be a good choice. If Carman turns out great and the players taken with the extra picks are just okay then still a win for the Bengals IMO. If Carman is a bust then this forum is going to be on fire.

Anyway, I'm rambling here. I wasn't a big fan of the trade down myself. I hope it all works out great. I think we won't know for at least 2 years if the trade down was win or not.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
This was the official changing of the guard. Bengals fleeced the Patriots in a trade and it wasn’t seen or tangible but we also stole the winning mojo from them.

I was pounding the table for a trade back. We needed so much help. Well it happened and we picked up two quality mid round picks. While the pats came up for the monster DT from the national champions we moved down. Got a stud LT from a top program, ended up with the monster DT from prior year national champions, and invested in a project player designed in a lab to play T who missed almost all of last year but showed up at the senior bowl and kicked many asses of top guys who did get to play last.
Reply/Quote
If Carman was their guy as they stated it was a brilliant trade.

Like it no matter and even though Im not a big MB fan he almost always gets over on trades, or he just won't make them.

The one thing in NFL that being a stubborn mule actually pays off.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
How about BOTH sides got what they wanted.

Pats wanted a plug in the middle and we got a really good price to move back eight spaces where the player we had scouted and wanted (especially as a Guard this is a top prospect) AND gained two fourths. Both sides got what they wanted. And better for us we did not give up a pick to do it - GAINED two picks for 8 spots in the second.
Reply/Quote
Wouldn’t say we got the better of him, I’m sure they were very willing trade partners, but we did very well.
Reply/Quote
According to ESPN guys we did horrible not drafting an OT. Booger McFarland went the entire draft not knowing we drafted Jonah Williams 2 years ago and signed Reiff this offseason. We did excellent work with everything in the draft. Next year we obviously are going all in on a 1st rd tackle, but this year we luxury of going playmaker.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 12:27 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: According to ESPN guys we did horrible not drafting an OT. Booger McFarland went the entire draft not knowing we drafted Jonah Williams 2 years ago and signed Reiff this offseason. We did excellent work with everything in the draft. Next year we obviously are going all in on a 1st rd tackle, but this year we luxury of going playmaker.

Hahahaha haha wtf makes u think next year we go all in on tackle lmao
Our franchise qb was destroyed last year and we still didn’t go tackle when there was an all world tackle available. Next year there’s gonna be another flashy player available that the bengals are gonna justify to themselves to pick them over a tackle. Honestly after this last draft I’m not sure what needs to happen for them to do what’s right and build inside out. Our qb was dead due to lack of protection and we still went with the little man outa LSU instead of the massive body guard out in Oregon.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 08:13 PM)Joelist Wrote: How about BOTH sides got what they wanted.

Pats wanted a plug in the middle and we got a really good price to move back eight spaces where the player we had scouted and wanted (especially as a Guard this is a top prospect) AND gained two fourths. Both sides got what they wanted. And better for us we did not give up a pick to do it - GAINED two picks for 8 spots in the second.

Yes and no, the bengals are taking that trade honestly for one 4th imo too. Y not everybody and their mom knew carman would still be there
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 07:18 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: This was the official changing of the guard. Bengals fleeced the Patriots in a trade and it wasn’t seen or tangible but we also stole the winning mojo from them.

I was pounding the table for a trade back. We needed so much help. Well it happened and we picked up two quality mid round picks. While the pats came up for the monster DT from the national champions we moved down. Got a stud LT from a top program, ended up with the monster DT from prior year national champions, and invested in a project player designed in a lab to play T who missed almost all of last year but showed up at the senior bowl and kicked many asses of top guys who did get to play last.

Smith is perfectly programmed for left guard In the nfl bruh
Reply/Quote
I don't remember if it was Rapien or Jay Morrison, but one of them noted something that I agreed with. If we didn't add those 4th rounders, then we most likely don't take McPherson. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I would think so, but TBF Barmore may be an absolute stud.  If one or more of the fourth rounders pans out - or even if they're all just high quality backups - I'd say that the trade down was quite smart.  
Reply/Quote