Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Bengals get best of BB in day 2 trade?
Maybe?

Will be hard to tell for another 2 years, most likely.

Last time they traded down in the 2nd and picked up an extra 4th, they got Joe Mixon, the Vikings got Dalvin Cook, and the Bengals used the 4th rounder they got on Josh Malone. So we'll see.

(In an earlier year also traded down in the 2nd along with a 5th, still got Jesse Bates in the 2nd, but the 3rd round pick they got back they used on Malik Jefferson who lasted one year.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 01:08 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Greg Cosell and others seem to have a different take on Smith.  I believe the interest in him lies in his athleticism and length.  He's quite a project, and was my least favorite pick.  Hopefully I'm dead wrong.

As far as trades go, it ultimately comes down to how badly a team wants a particular player.  I thought the Cowboys fleeced the Eagles by extracting a third rounder to go down two spots.

I couldn't believe that when I saw it.  And within their own division!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 12:30 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Hahahaha haha wtf makes u think next year we go all in on tackle lmao
Our franchise qb was destroyed last year and we still didn’t go tackle when there was an all world tackle available. Next year there’s gonna be another flashy player available that the bengals are gonna justify to themselves to pick them over a tackle. Honestly after this last draft I’m not sure what needs to happen for them to do what’s right and build inside out. Our qb was dead due to lack of protection and we still went with the little man outa LSU instead of the massive body guard out in Oregon.

Our franchise QB last year was destroyed by guard play not tackle play.

An all world tackle wouldn't have prevented it.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 10:47 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Our franchise QB last year was destroyed by guard play not tackle play.

An all world tackle wouldn't have prevented it.

I disagree what if an all world tackle blows up his guy so that Burrow has room to move and the pocket isn't collapsing all around him.  It is a lot easier to avoid 1 player who is applying pressure than when pressure is coming from all directions on nearly every play and you have no faith in your line and don't know where you can safely move away from pressure. Also what if an all world Tackle allows your running game to be super effective, you may run on that play instead of passing. For instance if we know we can run behind an Orlando Pace type just imagine how much more effective the running game would be.
Reply/Quote
Belichick got the player he wanted. Bengals got the extra picks the desperately needed.

Both sides got what they wanted.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals drafted the wrong guy in the 2nd round then the trade back was a disaster.   I re-watched the Ohio State vs. Clemson game and Carman just seems like a typical college OL, I don't see anything special.   He also needs to hit the gym, he kind of looks like a fat guy without a very muscular build.  He doesn't look like a dominant NFL OL to me.  I really don't see why he is being hyped up so much, even without the injury.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 12:54 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Well according to ESPN, yes and was 3rd best trade value in the entire draft.

"Just three picks before this trade, the Broncos paid a fourth-round pick and got back a sixth-rounder to move up five spots. Here, the Patriots dealt two fourth-rounders without getting anything back to move up eight spots and draft Alabama defensive tackle Christian Barmore.

Bottom line: The Bengals got Bill Belichick to pay up here, increasing the value of their original No. 38 pick by roughly 60%. With the picks acquired, Cincinnati selected offensive tackle Jackson Carman in the second round and then defensive tackle Tyler Shelvin and offensive tackle D'Ante Smith."

Thoughts? I know hard to see in next 2021 if a great move or a bad move us passing on 2 OT's who appear game ready in 2021. But, it appears we have 3 guys versus 1 who may become NFL starters at some point.

It will come down to how the those we passed work out verse what we got.. I thought it was a good trade for value, my biggest issue was more we waited till last pick of our three to go Oline again.. really was almost a 5th round pick... 

Remember when we traded back in 2018 in 1st round. we acquired Glenn and moved back to 21.  Across the board that looked like a good trade.. but Ragnow went right at #20 we picked Price at #21 which again was praised.. now we look back and it ended up not working out.. Glenn was hurt and Price did not work out.. Ragnow just signed a big 2nd contract...

Lets see how this one shacks out in a couple year to evaluate
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 11:18 AM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: If the Bengals drafted the wrong guy in the 2nd round then the trade back was a disaster.   I re-watched the Ohio State vs. Clemson game and Carman just seems like a typical college OL, I don't see anything special.   He also needs to hit the gym, he kind of looks like a fat guy without a very muscular build.  He doesn't look like a dominant NFL OL to me.  I really don't see why he is being hyped up so much, even without the injury.

[Image: 9441860.jpg]

Opinions vary
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Interesting that the Patriots thought their IDL was so bad that they needed/wanted to get both Barmore AND Shelvin.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The thought of ZT and Tobin outsmarting BB is humorous. I’m sure the DT they drafted will be the next Aaron Donald so that we can cry about it for the next decade.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 12:54 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Well according to ESPN, yes and was 3rd best trade value in the entire draft.

"Just three picks before this trade, the Broncos paid a fourth-round pick and got back a sixth-rounder to move up five spots. Here, the Patriots dealt two fourth-rounders without getting anything back to move up eight spots and draft Alabama defensive tackle Christian Barmore.

Bottom line: The Bengals got Bill Belichick to pay up here, increasing the value of their original No. 38 pick by roughly 60%. With the picks acquired, Cincinnati selected offensive tackle Jackson Carman in the second round and then defensive tackle Tyler Shelvin and offensive tackle D'Ante Smith."

Thoughts? I know hard to see in next 2021 if a great move or a bad move us passing on 2 OT's who appear game ready in 2021. But, it appears we have 3 guys versus 1 who may become NFL starters at some point.

Doesn't really matter if they are game ready in 2021 as they most likely wouldn't be playing OT.  

We'll see how it shakes out.  If Barmore is a Pro-Bowler, then chances are we should have stuck there, but the real measure is going to be if we took the right lineman in round 2.
Reply/Quote
Jonah and Rieff were always going to be our starting tackles this year. This idea that we had to take the top OT available no matter what was always delusional. I understand having someone in place for the future but this coaching staff and maybe even Tobin needs to win now or everyone's getting fired if we get a top 5 pick again.

We needed a Guard more than anything and we got the best one available in the 2nd round AND we got a good future OT in D'ante Smith. oh and Tyler Shelvin to plug the run.

Bengals get an A+++ for the trade back move in my books.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 03:14 PM)Weazzel80 Wrote: Jonah and Rieff were always going to be our starting tackles this year. This idea that we had to take the top OT available no matter what was always delusional. I understand having someone in place for the future but this coaching staff and maybe even Tobin needs to win now or everyone's getting fired if we get a top 5 pick again.

We needed a Guard more than anything and we got the best one available in the 2nd round AND we got a good future OT in D'ante Smith. oh and Tyler Shelvin to plug the run.

Bengals get an A+++ for the trade back move in my books.

Based on what?  His years of high level performance in college?
Reply/Quote
Hopefully, but we won't really know for all the what ifs until the season starts. Honestly, nearly this entire draft being good or bad depends on if the two tackles they're planning on using can go 16 games; and if they can't, can any of the picks step in to that spot.

That doesn't speak I'll of anyone drafted, it's just we had one significant need greater than all others; how the solution plays out changes how successful the 2021 draft was.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 04:03 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Based on what?  His years of high level performance in college?

Yeah I guess that wasn't based on much. I'm just some guy I don't do extensive research on this crap. And even if I did that still would only mean so much. 

On NFL.com list of guards he was the second one off the board so that's what I based my assumption off of. NFL teams do this professionally so if he was the second highest draft guard that probably means something. I'm aware that he played tackle in college.

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/G?college=allColleges&page=1&status=ALL&year=2021
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 03:15 PM)BengalChris Wrote: The exact point is right there. The two 4th round picks was a lot, but when your team has soooo many holes and can draft an immediate starter then passes, it's tough to swollow. Teven Jenkins will be a starting RT for the Bears for the next 10 years or more. The Bengals don't have a clue what a 10 year starter is on the OL anymore.

If these 4th round picks are anything like the 4th round picks from the past two years, then they'll just eat a roster spot while f'ing up.

I am a fan of Jenkins but I think they certainly got value in the trade. Jackson Carman will be a day 1 starter at OG and gives them a guy that absolutely has the ability to move to RT. They also got a kid that I think has a high upside in D'Ante Smith. While he may not have an immediate impact in '21 he could certainly have a large future impact.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 04:33 PM)Weazzel80 Wrote: Yeah I guess that wasn't based on much. I'm just some guy I don't do extensive research on this crap. And even if I did that still would only mean so much. 

On NFL.com list of guards he was the second one off the board so that's what I based my assumption off of. NFL teams do this professionally so if he was the second highest draft guard that probably means something. I'm aware that he played tackle in college.

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/G?college=allColleges&page=1&status=ALL&year=2021

I get it, but he didn't even play guard in college.  So who knows how he'll do.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 04:03 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Based on what?  His years of high level performance in college?

Scouting assessment.

Bob McGinn's annual scout survey had him as the second best guard after Vera-Tucker.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 12:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: 9441860.jpg]

Opinions vary

Probably vary because his weight has also varied a whole lot in the last 2+ years. I think he played at 355, he played at 335, and now supposedly he weighed in at 317. The big photo that I always saw most often was from 2019 of him about to go against Chase Young, where he does not look athletic.

(2019)
[Image: AP19363858964154%20(1).jpg]

(2018)
[Image: jackson-carman.jpg?resize=480]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
both teams got something they needed.. Who got the best of the deal wont be known till we see how the players perform
Reply/Quote