Poll: Did Trump do right thing by lying?
Yes.
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Trump do the right thing when he lied about the coronavirus?
(09-10-2020, 12:46 PM)Mer Wrote: I know I'll get ridiculed for this, but from my perspective he was trying to prevent mass hysteria. Just like down playing something that might scare the heck out of one of your children when describing it to them.

What imho contradicts this take is that Trump normally is more than willing to create panic.

Dangerous caravans, suburbs getting overrun by anarchists, the dying american dream, american carnage, Biden being against God and energy, liberals killing new-born babies... and so on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe the media wouldn't have to overplay it if we didn't have a government that decided to lie to people "for their own good."  Remember when the watchdog media was supposedly there to keep our government transparent and in check?  What happened to that?

Saying it is ok for the president to decide what the people get to hear is just begging for the media to step in.

I hope you realize that entire statement could be turned around.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ah I forgot, the only Christian people are allowed to mock is Jimmy Carter.

Don't know where I said that, but whatever.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
So seriously, people who voted that it was ok are you ok with the president deciding what people get to know or are you just ok with Trump doing it? Keep in mind a person you didn't want to be president is going to be president eventually.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:13 PM)hollodero Wrote: What imho contradicts this take is that Trump normally is more than willing to create panic.

Dangerous caravans, suburbs getting overrun by anarchists, the dying american dream, american carnage, Biden being against God and energy, liberals killing new-born babies... and so on.

Pretty much exactly my thoughts on this.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:14 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Don't know where I said that, but whatever.

That was more a comment to people who have been paying attention to politics since 1980, my mistake.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:15 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That was more a comment to people who have been paying attention to politics since 1980, my mistake.

I've been paying attention to politics since the 90s but I still don't see where people aren't allowed to make fun of Christians except Jimmy Carter. If anything, Christians and white males are the ONLY groups that people can publicly be made fun of to the point of outright hatred and no one cares.

But, like I said, whatever. I don't want to derail this thread.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:07 PM)Mer Wrote: Of course he wouldn't lie but when did anyone ever compare Trump to Jesus?

No one compared the two. I was coin checking your morals. You admitted Jesus wouldn't lie because lying is wrong despite your song and dance to absolve Trump of his wrong doing.

Quote:And how is down playing a pandemic fear mongering? It's the complete opposite.

I wrote MAGA is fear mongering. Vote for Trump because the Democrats will destroy this country. That's fear mongering.

Quote:Jesus wouldn't support people that support LGBTQ agendas or abortion either, but that's for a different thread.

You're a sinner. Everyone in your church is a sinner. You don't earn forgiveness. It's given. Heaven would be completely empty if they didn't let sinners in. You might want to consider that before throwing the next stone.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:17 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I've been paying attention to politics since the 90s but I still don't see where people aren't allowed to make fun of Christians except Jimmy Carter. If anything, Christians and white males are the ONLY groups that people can publicly be made fun of to the point of outright hatred and no one cares.

But, like I said, whatever. I don't want to derail this thread.

My comment is that neo-cons backed Reagan and flipped on Carter and the deal they made with the 700 club has lead us to this situation where republicans are the defacto-Christians and a man like Trump is automatically loved by Christians even though the Bible says he should be put to death for his actions.

But yes, that would detail things.
Reply/Quote
So if Joe Biden gets elected and decides to downplay the dangers of the riots, gun control, open borders, etc this belief that it is OK for a president to lie to us as long as it calms us down is going to stay consistent?

Personally, the idea of the government trying to decide what I need to know in order to keep calm causes me more stress than the truth.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:11 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I think there's an argument to be made, but it flies out the window when he responded by calling reactions to it overblown, told the public it was no big deal as states sought to respond to it, and attacks efforts to enact basic precautions. 

There's a difference between keeping national security threats you're handling from the public and keeping information about public health a secret, especially when you need the public to cooperate to stop it.

It's also hard to suggest he's trying to prevent mass hysteria when he has a track record of lying to create fear and panic and when we didn't see mass hysteria in the nations impacted months before we were. 

Trump tried to bully a reporter into taking his mask off within the past week. He actively undermines the CDC's most basic precautions.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote:  a man like Trump is automatically loved by Christians even though the Bible says he should be put to death for his actions.

Trump is NOT automatically loved by Christians. I'm sure there are those that are die hard Trump supporters but not every Christian is conservative and not every conservative Christian voted for/supports Trump. If I had to guess, I'd say the majority of conservative Christians tolerate Trump.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So if Joe Biden gets elected and decides to downplay the dangers of the riots, gun control, open borders, etc this belief that it is OK for a president to lie to us as long as it calms us down is going to stay consistent?

Personally, the idea of the government trying to decide what I need to know in order to keep calm causes me more stress than the truth.

Wait, are you honestly asking if ANYONE in American politics would be consistent if Biden got elected?

[Image: lkrwtf.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:09 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: And continued to hold rallies understanding how it's spread and knowingly putting people at increased risk for infection and death.

Just on a personal level, that's a shitty thing to do to people.  On a leadership level, it makes him unfit for public office.

Did he force people to go?
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:24 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Trump is NOT automatically loved by Christians. I'm sure there are those that are die hard Trump supporters but not every Christian is conservative and not every conservative Christian voted for/supports Trump. If I had to guess, I'd say the majority of conservative Christians tolerate Trump.

Well I hope and pray I'm wrong as hell on this one.  I still find tolerance of this guy to be a bit much, but hey, save those stones for people who serve 'em, right?
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:26 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Wait, are you honestly asking if ANYONE in American politics would be consistent if Biden got elected?

You "YES it was ok for Trump to lie to us" respondents are the only people I'm interested in hearing from on this at the moment.  The trouble with excusing the government of deception is that our country just loves to flip flop on the alignment of the person who gets to lie to us.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:26 PM)Mer Wrote: Did he force people to go?

No more than I forced people to get into my car that I knew had no brakes but didn't tell them it had no brakes before they got in.  Didn't want to scare 'em!

EDIT - Ok I posted 3 times in a row...I need to step away and clear my head.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:19 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: No one compared the two.  I was coin checking your morals.  You admitted Jesus wouldn't lie because lying is wrong despite your song and dance to absolve Trump of his wrong doing.

I wrote MAGA is fear mongering. Vote for Trump because the Democrats will destroy this country.  That's fear mongering.

You're a sinner.  Everyone in your church is a sinner.  You don't earn forgiveness.  It's given.  Heaven would be completely empty if they didn't let sinners in.  You might want to consider that before throwing the next stone.

So taking the Bible for what it says is "stone throwing"? Nice try.
Reply/Quote
Hey, do y'all remember that time over 4,000 Americans died in Iraq because the President lied to us?
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2020, 01:26 PM)Mer Wrote: Did he force people to go?

Are you familiar with the concept of informed consent?

Trump's dishonesty robbed them of making an informed decision.

Herman Cain might be alive today if he knew what Trump knew instead of the lies Trump told us.
Reply/Quote