Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dj reader on playing Sunday
(01-05-2023, 02:16 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: They actually did play after a similar incident 25 years ago.  I heard Keyshawn Johnson recall a game I remember watching, when Detroit LB Reggie Brown was paralyzed after a play (against Keyshawn's Jets) and not breathing.  Once he was taken off the field in an ambulance, the game resumed.  Pardon me if this has already been posted by someone else.

Ryan Shazier was not far off this.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 02:59 PM)R3stangs Wrote: First sorry to hear but hopefully all turned out OK. But would you expect everyone who was around you at the time to be so traumatized that they couldn't work again for the foreseeable future? Sorry man I'd follow up on you and do whatever I could for you but just quitting my job over it would be a stretch too far. 

Thanks, and fifteen years later I'm still on the right side of the grass.

No, I wouldn't expect that, and to be fair, I'm not sure any of these guys are about to quit. Now, there may be some guys who reevaluate their career choice because of a danger they hadn't considered and decide to pursue something else. I could support that. However, I wouldn't be onboard with someone saying I can't play and wanting to be paid.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:20 PM)motoarch Wrote: I haven't read every post here but there are a lot of different options.  I don't necessarily agree with some of them but I don't think they are wrong either.

Much of this is a product of our own personal experience and how we are able the emotionally process.  

I hope everyone is able to respectfully understand that not everyone has had your experience, upbringing or cultural background and so they're feelings and thoughts on this matter are not wrong, just different.

I'm proud of this fan base and can't wait to get back to sniping and trolling some of you when the time is right.

I am too - and I like the rest of the quote too.

I was at the game.  I've been a fan since 1968 and I've never been more proud to be a Bengals fan.   No one was whining or complaining.   There was a rare hush over the 66,000 fans assembled.   Everyone was about what was happening with that young man as it slowly dawned on us that this could be a mortal injury.

Proud of our team, proud of the coaches, proud of our owners, proud of the fans who had the right focus.   Some people paid up to $800.00 or more for the right to be there.  And the game was over in less than 10 minutes of clock time.  I didn't hear a single complaint.

Because from the insanely electric start of the game that was engineered as much by Elizabeth Blackburn as the teams playing championship football to the sudden possibility that a player had just died in front of us there was nothing but caring and respect.  It was worth every penny.

The only thing left is for Damar to make a complete recovery.  
Reply/Quote
I agree with Jacksonville's coach in saying the best thing players and teammates can do is go out and play hard for Hamblin. The NFL can tribute week 18 to Damar Hamblin and now that he's responsive this will really lift his spirit. I think he would want ppl to go out and play hard and not sit around sulking. One of the first questions he asked when he came to last night was, "Who won the game?" This tells me he expected and continues to expect his teammates to keep playing hard for him.

GOD Bless him!
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 02:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: I saw that....he was able to regain full mobility, but never played again. What was different was that Reggie regained consciousness (,he had a spinal cord contusion) and gave the thumbs up from the stretcher. I've heard a lot of ex players talking about that critical "thumbs up" from fallen teammates. There was no "I'm ok gesture" Monday night. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they also had to intubate Hamlin on the field I think? That's a whole 'nother ball of wax if so.

Didn't remember him doing that.  That certainly would separate that incident from the Hamlin one. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 12:43 PM)Wyche Wrote: That may be true....and not saying you're one....but some people think the game should have resumed five minutes later. I've read it. I think they were in a state of not really knowing what to do. For people not accustomed to seeing it, it was a huge shock to see a player lying there having CPR performed for ten minutes. 

As to resuming the game later in the week, that's the league's decision. If not played the very next day, I feel like they should just move on. I personally and selfishly didn't want to see the Bengals playing on Wednesday or any day thereafter, then having to suit right back up for Sunday. That's a recipe for injury. 

I had no problem with suspending the game that night, although I was wholly surprised they did. When they talk about not playing a week later that's where I think it gets a little absurd. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes they did finish the game, they essentially lined up and ran the final 62 seconds off of the clock.  That is a bit different than getting yourself prepared to play 80%+ of a remaining football game.

But at the same time, how many times have we seen a horrendous NASCAR wreck, and once the track is cleared the drivers are lining back up behind the pace car to go green while the Life Flight Helicopter is taking off from the infield. Boogity Boogity Boogity, lets go racing boys.....
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:26 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: In the good old days, men were emotionally immature fools that damaged themselves for the sake of living up to a toxic culture. The younger generation is smarter than that.

What do you expect, we had to be toxic because nobody gave us "Safe Spaces" to hide in.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 03:36 PM)Big Boss Wrote: They have to play their starters if the #2 seed is in play.  Unless the NFL decides between now and Friday that certain playoff matchups would be done at neutral sites (Bills/Bengals, Bengals/Chiefs, Bills/Chiefs), in which case the 1-3 seeding becomes irrelevant.

They were talking about that on the radio earlier. There is discussion in the league offices that if the AFCC game comes down to two teams who have not palayed the same number of games, the game will be played at a neutral site. (That will be a ticket free for all)
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 03:32 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: 50 years ago they'd of clubbed a man to death for wearing pink in October.

The way it was was garbage, that's why we don't live that way anymore.

OK, that doesn't have anything to do with my original point though.  I even said in the comment you replied to that it wasn't an endorsement of playing or not playing.  Just stating that they likely would have finished the game "back in the good old days". 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 05:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They were talking about that on the radio earlier. There is discussion in the league offices that if the AFCC game comes down to two teams who have not palayed the same number of games, the game will be played at a neutral site. (That will be a ticket free for all)

But is there any consideration regarding the potential Bengals-Buffalo matchup, or just the AFCC game?  To require the Bengals to play at Buffalo, when the league decided not to resume the game at Paycor, and likely would have resulted in the Bengals having home field, sounds eminently unfair. The Bengals were all set to grab home field against Buffalo. That should be a neutral field as well. Or at least allow half the seats to be Bengals fans. 
Reply/Quote
I could understand fans' concern if Burrow is defeated and don't want to play, but he clearly is motivating teammates rn. When we were 0-2 plus fans and media ready to call this season off, Joe reminded people it was just 2 games. We came through injuries, Hubbard said we won last year's first playoff game because of Joe's mindset. Boyd said kind of the same thing this season. We still have a QB who wants to win a SB and can fire up his teammates and coaches to trust. We will be fine.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 03:32 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: 50 years ago they'd of clubbed a man to death for wearing pink in October.

The way it was was garbage, that's why we don't live that way anymore.

Silly correlation is silly.

If they clubbed guys for not finishing games 50 years ago, then you'd have a correlation. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
You really can't teach and old dog anything.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 03:23 PM)Nepa Wrote: If that's the case, the Ravens certainly have no reason to play their starters. The Bengals still have an outside chance at the 2nd seed (according to a poster on here who analyzed tie breakers), but I'm not sure it wouldn't be better, if that's the case, to play the starters for one-half (they only played 9 minutes on Monday, and only 7 offensive snaps), try and get a lead, and then pull our starters the second half, as long as the Ravens are going without their key players. 

That is what I would do.

(01-05-2023, 03:36 PM)Big Boss Wrote: They have to play their starters if the #2 seed is in play.  Unless the NFL decides between now and Friday that certain playoff matchups would be done at neutral sites (Bills/Bengals, Bengals/Chiefs, Bills/Chiefs), in which case the 1-3 seeding becomes irrelevant.

Just saying it is more likely we get the 3 seed and the 2 seed isn't in play if they declare this game a No Contest.

But yeah, there is a slight chance at the 2 seed.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 06:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is what I would do.

Just saying it is more likely we get the 3 seed and the 2 seed isn't in play if they declare this game a No Contest.

But yeah, there is a slight chance at the 2 seed.

That's not true. If we win Sunday and the Bills lose, we would have the 2 seed over them due to SoV. This would prevent us from the possibility of having to play in both Orchard Park and Arrowhead to get to the Super Bowl.  I'd say that's worth the effort. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 06:06 PM)Nepa Wrote: But is there any consideration regarding the potential Bengals-Buffalo matchup, or just the AFCC game?  To require the Bengals to play at Buffalo, when the league decided not to resume the game at Paycor, and likely would have resulted in the Bengals having home field, sounds eminently unfair. The Bengals were all set to grab home field against Buffalo. That should be a neutral field as well. Or at least allow half the seats to be Bengals fans. 

I imagine they'd divide tickets between the two teams' season ticket holders in a pre-sale at the very least.  I doubt there would be many left afterwards, but it's the only fair way to do it.  

I that game is in Indy it's damn near a Bengal home game.  It's not Paycor, but it's a lot harder for Bills fans to get there.  I hate it as a season ticket holder, but outcomes could be worse.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 05:12 PM)Sled21 Wrote: But at the same time, how many times have we seen a horrendous NASCAR wreck, and once the track is cleared the drivers are lining back up behind the pace car to go green while the Life Flight Helicopter is taking off from the infield. Boogity Boogity Boogity, lets go racing boys.....

I've seen em finish under caution plenty of times after a bad crash....but to your point they're back at the next day. Those boys don't wanna lose their ride, lol.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 11:28 PM)Wyche Wrote: I've seen em finish under caution plenty of times after a bad crash....but to your point they're back at the next day. Those boys don't wanna lose their ride, lol.

And finishing under caution only happens if the crash is late in the race in the last laps. And the number or driver's, crew chiefs and pit crew members who are related is way up there. Anyway, it looks like everyone is getting ready to play, and Tee said he has never had thoughts of not playing Sunday. I fully expect everyone of our guys will be out there, especially now that beating the Ravens is the only way we get a home playoff game.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 09:58 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And finishing under caution only happens if the crash is late in the race in the last laps. And the number or driver's, crew chiefs and pit crew members who are related is way up there. Anyway, it looks like everyone is getting ready to play, and Tee said he has never had thoughts of not playing Sunday. I fully expect everyone of our guys will be out there, especially now that beating the Ravens is the only way we get a home playoff game.

Yes, I would equate them running under caution to finish to what happened in 71 between the Lions and Bears. 

As to the rest, I really didn't have a concern about no one playing. I believe they were genuinely concerned about the events on Monday and felt obliged to let the Bills know they understood their pain. A sign of solidarity. I also believe they have been saying the correct things on air as they are professionals. They'll be ready.

Reply/Quote