Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dj reader on playing Sunday
(01-05-2023, 01:11 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I am one of them.  I after reflecting and more thought I have changed my stance on that.  The next day or day after yes, but I understand why not the same the night.

Everyone sees things differently my man, it makes the world go round. Me, I've been in a very bad car wreck, and then went through a heart attack at 32 from unknown genetic problems. After things like that, it kinda changes your outlook a little on things. Or maybe it was all of those hallucinogens in the 90s that changed it. Ninja LOL

I'm at the point where if it wasn't played Tuesday, then just declare it a no contest and see how things wind up.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Grown ass men telling kids how to feel and only some of y'all have ever watched someone in a situation like what happened Monday, and most of you by choice because of your profession.

And miss me with that 'ThEsE aRe MeN' trite shit; you know damn well you weren't an actual adult until your mid thirties, and I'm giving some of you the benefit of the doubt there with what some of you've been saying.
Reply/Quote
I haven't read every post here but there are a lot of different options. I don't necessarily agree with some of them but I don't think they are wrong either.

Much of this is a product of our own personal experience and how we are able the emotionally process.

I hope everyone is able to respectfully understand that not everyone has had your experience, upbringing or cultural background and so they're feelings and thoughts on this matter are not wrong, just different.

I'm proud of this fan base and can't wait to get back to sniping and trolling some of you when the time is right.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:17 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Grown ass men telling kids how to feel and only some of y'all have ever watched someone in a situation like what happened Monday, and most of you by choice because of your profession.

And miss me with that 'ThEsE aRe MeN' trite shit; you know damn well you weren't an actual adult until your mid thirties, and I'm giving some of you the benefit of the doubt there with what some of you've been saying.
I'm 45 and not an adult.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 12:59 PM)GAWhoDey Wrote: Umm, in the "good old days" they would've been finishing the game on Monday night as soon as the ambulance left the field.  This actually happened with Charles Hughes suffered a heart attack and died. They finished the game that day.  

Yes they did finish the game, they essentially lined up and ran the final 62 seconds off of the clock.  That is a bit different than getting yourself prepared to play 80%+ of a remaining football game.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:20 PM)motoarch Wrote: I haven't read every post here but there are a lot of different options.  I don't necessarily agree with some of them but I don't think they are wrong either.

Much of this is a product of our own personal experience and how we are able the emotionally process.  

I hope everyone is able to respectfully understand that not everyone has had your experience, upbringing or cultural background and so they're feelings and thoughts on this matter are not wrong, just different.

I'm proud of this fan base and can't wait to get back to sniping and trolling some of you when the time is right.

That's about as well as it can be put. Bravo. Gotta rep.

Reply/Quote
In the good old days, men were emotionally immature fools that damaged themselves for the sake of living up to a toxic culture. The younger generation is smarter than that.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:21 PM)motoarch Wrote: I'm 45 and not an adult.

Lol.  I was going to reply to him and say if you ask my wife she'll tell you my 48 year old ass is a bigger kid than my 14 yr old son.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:26 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Lol.  I was going to reply to him and say if you ask my wife she'll tell you my 48 year old ass is a bigger kid than my 14 yr old son.

I'm certainly not gonna point to my maturity level at 47 as a model of adulthood.  Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:26 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: In the good old days, men were emotionally immature fools that damaged themselves for the sake of living up to a toxic culture. The younger generation is smarter than that.

Eh, that might be more of a topic for debate in the P&R forum..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes they did finish the game, they essentially lined up and ran the final 62 seconds off of the clock.  That is a bit different than getting yourself prepared to play 80%+ of a remaining football game.

The point still stands. 50 years ago, they would've finished the game regardless. Not saying it's right or wrong, it's just the way it was. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 02:09 PM)GAWhoDey Wrote: The point still stands. 50 years ago, they would've finished the game regardless. Not saying it's right or wrong, it's just the way it was. 

They actually did play after a similar incident 25 years ago.  I heard Keyshawn Johnson recall a game I remember watching, when Detroit LB Reggie Brown was paralyzed after a play (against Keyshawn's Jets) and not breathing.  Once he was taken off the field in an ambulance, the game resumed.  Pardon me if this has already been posted by someone else.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 02:09 PM)GAWhoDey Wrote: The point still stands. 50 years ago, they would've finished the game regardless. Not saying it's right or wrong, it's just the way it was. 

You don't know that. If the circumstances had been similar, with the majority of the game yet to be played, things may have been entirely different. I'm leaning more towards they ran out the rest of the game because it was so close to being over.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 02:16 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: They actually did play after a similar incident 25 years ago.  I heard Keyshawn Johnson recall a game I remember watching, when Detroit LB Reggie Brown was paralyzed after a play (against Keyshawn's Jets) and not breathing.  Once he was taken off the field in an ambulance, the game resumed.  Pardon me if this has already been posted by someone else.

I saw that....he was able to regain full mobility, but never played again. What was different was that Reggie regained consciousness (,he had a spinal cord contusion) and gave the thumbs up from the stretcher. I've heard a lot of ex players talking about that critical "thumbs up" from fallen teammates. There was no "I'm ok gesture" Monday night. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they also had to intubate Hamlin on the field I think? That's a whole 'nother ball of wax if so.

Reply/Quote
As we get closer to the game these thoughts will change to wanting to play. In the end I am pretty sure Damar would want
everyone to play and that is where I am with this. Let's try and focus on the Ravens, something we CAN control. Cannot sweat
something you cannot control.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: They carted my ass out and the plant went on and finished the day. I got a month off with pay. I see both sides of it.

First sorry to hear but hopefully all turned out OK. But would you expect everyone who was around you at the time to be so traumatized that they couldn't work again for the foreseeable future? Sorry man I'd follow up on you and do whatever I could for you but just quitting my job over it would be a stretch too far. 
Reply/Quote
BTW, if they say the last game was a No Contest we win the AFC North so there would be no reason to play our starters Sunday.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 03:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: BTW, if they say the last game was a No Contest we win the AFC North so there would be no reason to play our starters Sunday.

If that's the case, the Ravens certainly have no reason to play their starters. The Bengals still have an outside chance at the 2nd seed (according to a poster on here who analyzed tie breakers), but I'm not sure it wouldn't be better, if that's the case, to play the starters for one-half (they only played 9 minutes on Monday, and only 7 offensive snaps), try and get a lead, and then pull our starters the second half, as long as the Ravens are going without their key players. 
Reply/Quote

50 years ago they'd of clubbed a man to death for wearing pink in October.

The way it was was garbage, that's why we don't live that way anymore.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 03:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: BTW, if they say the last game was a No Contest we win the AFC North so there would be no reason to play our starters Sunday.

They have to play their starters if the #2 seed is in play.  Unless the NFL decides between now and Friday that certain playoff matchups would be done at neutral sites (Bills/Bengals, Bengals/Chiefs, Bills/Chiefs), in which case the 1-3 seeding becomes irrelevant.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote