Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Bengals Keep 7 WR's?
Typically they keep 6 WR's, but who is the odd man out if they don't?

Locks:
AJ
Boyd
Higgins
Tate

Ross?
Thomas?
Erickson?

Have to keep 7 to keep all listed. Thomas has had a great camp with all the receivers being held out so far. I can't see them cutting Ross. Is Erickson on the chopping block?

Should be interesting to see what we do with this group.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 11:29 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Typically they keep 6 WR's, but who is the odd man out if they don't?

Locks:
AJ
Boyd
Higgins
Tate

Ross?
Thomas?
Erickson?

Have to keep 7 to keep all listed. Thomas has had a great camp with all the receivers being held out so far. I can't see them cutting Ross. Is Erickson on the chopping block?

With hearing about how well Thomas has been acclimating, you'd have to imagine Erickson is most at risk for being cut, right?
Especially with guys like Phillips and Wilson taking over more return duties.

With that said, knowing how often the Bengals seem to prefer to use 3-WR sets, it probably makes more sense to keep an extra WR and go light at RB or TE.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 11:35 AM)ochocincos Wrote: With hearing about how well Thomas has been acclimating, you'd have to imagine Erickson is most at risk for being cut, right?
Especially with guys like Phillips and Wilson taking over more return duties.

With that said, knowing how often the Bengals seem to prefer to use 3-WR sets, it probably makes more sense to keep an extra WR and go light at RB or TE.

Erickson is not getting cut. He's having a great camp.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 11:55 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Erickson is not getting cut. He's having a great camp.

I'm not following like a hawk, but I do try to read tweets from the various Bengals beat writers, and I don't recall seeing much being mentioned about Erickson. Most of the buzz for WRs has been around Tate and Thomas from what I've read.

So with Green, Boyd, and Higgins being locks along with Tate and Thomas reportedly doing very well, do you think Erickson makes it in over any of them? I don't think Ross is a cut candidate either since he's guaranteed his remaining contract ($5.5 mill) and put up nearly the same yards (506 vs 529) but 3 more TDs than Erickson in half the games last year.

I wouldn't take Erickson over any of Green, Boyd, Higgins, Tate, or Ross but I'd take him over a 4th TE or RB.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 11:29 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Typically they keep 6 WR's, but who is the odd man out if they don't?

Locks:
AJ
Boyd
Higgins
Tate

Ross?
Thomas?
Erickson?

Ross should be in lock category.
Reply/Quote
Ross is definitely a lock. Almost his entire salary is guaranteed.

Personally, I think it's a no-brainer to cut Erikson. He offers little to nothing in the pass game and he's simply not a good enough return man to warrant taking a spot from someone else, who may actually have a future here.

You can't pay a well below average punt returner 2.3 mil. Not to mention he only carries about 200k in dead cap space, so we'd save almost his entire salary. And he'll be 28 in two months.

The only way I can see justifying keeping is simply because of Covid concerns, and having a vet buried on the depth chart in case shit hits the fan. Otherwise this dude is an obvious cut.
Reply/Quote

Locks:
AJ
Boyd
Higgins
Tate

Ross?
Thomas?
Erickson?

Ross was back with the first team yesterday, so he's a lock.  Thomas, Tate, and Erickson have all reportedly looked good.  Of course, when all your WR's look good, it may simply mean your defense is bad, but we won't know that until the bullets start flying.  With AJ hurt again, plus COVID, I think you have to keep 7.  You don't want a rookie QB trying to build chemistry with a WR off the street in the middle of the season.
Reply/Quote
I'm with the OP. Keep 7. And I think they will.

The hard question will be about Morgan, who's allegedly the best special teams guy on the squad.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 12:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Ross is definitely a lock. Almost his entire salary is guaranteed.  

Personally, I think it's a no-brainer to cut Erikson.  He offers little to nothing in the pass game and he's simply not a good enough return man to warrant taking a spot from someone else, who may actually have a future here.

You can't pay a well below average punt returner 2.3 mil.  Not to mention he only carries about 200k in dead cap space, so we'd save almost his entire salary.  And he'll be 28 in two months.

The only way I can see justifying keeping is simply because of Covid concerns, and having a vet buried on the depth chart in case shit hits the fan.  Otherwise this dude is an obvious cut.

I have to agree with this. Our numbers at safety aren't what they are at WR. It makes more sense to keep Wilson as the #1 return guy, cut Erikson, and keep Morgan as the 7th WR. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 12:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not following like a hawk, but I do try to read tweets from the various Bengals beat writers, and I don't recall seeing much being mentioned about Erickson. Most of the buzz for WRs has been around Tate and Thomas from what I've read.

So with Green, Boyd, and Higgins being locks along with Tate and Thomas reportedly doing very well, do you think Erickson makes it in over any of them? I don't think Ross is a cut candidate either since he's guaranteed his remaining contract ($5.5 mill) and put up nearly the same yards (506 vs 529) but 3 more TDs than Erickson in half the games last year.

I wouldn't take Erickson over any of Green, Boyd, Higgins, Tate, or Ross but I'd take him over a 4th TE or RB.

https://www.bengals.com/news/quick-hits-seamless-joe-has-the-vets-admiration-tate-won-t-fade-rookie-rb-lights

Quote:- Good luck trying to figure out which receiver makes it after Green, Boyd, Ross, Higgins and Tate. Alex Erickson showed he's going nowhere on Friday. He not only remains the first guy catching punts, but he made some big catches for both Burrow and backup Ryan Finley on Friday.
Reply/Quote
No they keep 8 and go light on TEs
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I think they carry 7 with 5 active on gameday. Trying out others at punt return I don't think is a sign they may cut Erickson, but could be a sign they may need him inactive some weeks which they will need other options on special teams.
Reply/Quote
Erickson will probally make the roster. But he really needs to show more in the return game to concrete his roster status.
I dont see him getting on the field on offense unless their is a
Injury. The reality is hes not going to get any better than.He is
As a WR. Reliable hands yes. Threat to score no.
Reply/Quote

Locks:
AJ
Boyd
Higgins
Tate

Ross?
Thomas?
Erickson?

I think they have to with AJ's injuries.
Reply/Quote
I think the new rule of being able to keep 6 vets on the PS might lead to Erickson being cut.

Green
Boyd
Ross
Higgins

are locks.

Auden did enough last year and currently this year in preseason to make the cut

Zac has history with Thomas and obviously likes him. So I'd sat that's the assured 6

I believe they go with a minimum of 7. So you have Morgan, Willis, Erickson battling for 1-2 spots.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 02:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think the new rule of being able to keep 6 vets on the PS might lead to Erickson being cut.

Green
Boyd
Ross
Higgins

are locks.

Auden did enough last year and currently this year in preseason to make the cut

Zac has history with Thomas and obviously likes him. So I'd sat that's the assured 6

I believe they go with a minimum of 7. So you have Morgan, Willis, Erickson battling for 1-2 spots.

In the end ST's is where you are judged for that last spot. I haven't heard much about Willis on ST's so I would put him on
the outs with Morgan and Erickson battling for the last spot. Simmons likes Morgan cause he loves to block but Erickson is a 
decent backup Receiver and was a good Returner before last year. Don't know what happened last year but he wasn't that 
good for some reason.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 11:55 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Erickson is not getting cut. He's having a great camp.

Fumbles way too much when he gets the football.  With us being loaded at receiver he should be gone.
Reply/Quote
The overall talent pool at WR is getting deeper. We need playmakers not just a player. Thats Alex Erickson
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 12:55 PM)Sled21 Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/news/quick-hits-seamless-joe-has-the-vets-admiration-tate-won-t-fade-rookie-rb-lights

Thanks.

Sounds like Green, Ross, Boyd, Higgins, Tate are all locks.
Now it comes down to Erickson, Thomas, and the rest of the ST guys.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If AJ and Ross are two of your WR, you almost have to go with 7 because you're one game away from suddenly only having 5. Would be great if both stayed healthy, but you can't plan on it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote