Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you feel we "settled" for Price?
No. I feel great about it. Watched some film on all three centers this week. Honestly I was most impressed by Price's drive and movement off the ball. Only reason I was a tad higher on Ragnow was because he was bigger, longer arms, and while he wasn't as nasty or didn't get the movement it looked easy to him and Lap liked him. I was down with either one. Daniels I had a tad behind those two.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 05:26 PM)Beaker Wrote: Many ppl seem to feel like we had to settle for Price since Ragnow got picked ahead of us. And many hold Lapham in such high regard that they are sure Ragnow was our pre-ordained pick. But let me pose a hypothetical:

If Ragnow and Price were both still available when we picked at 21, and we took  Price, would you still have the same reservations?

In other words, how do we know they didnt favor Price all along anyway? Maybe they indeed got who they really wanted.

Good question. We took a damn good player at a position of very high need. I don't think he'd have fallen to 46. Question now is will we trade 46 and a 5th rounder to move up to take Landry or Hernandez or ?????
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 06:07 PM)Beaker Wrote: Can you post the link to that video here?

(04-27-2018, 06:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sorry Beaker i was watching it on my phone, maybe someone that is more computer savvy can?

It is on bengals.com

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Draft-Phone-Call-Rd-1---Billy-Price/2f0154ec-922a-4579-aea0-7c48115ae598
Reply/Quote
Didn’t we “settle” for WJ3 after all the WR’s went early? That is working out pretty well...

Reply/Quote
I feel they took the bpa for the biggest void in the team at that time.

Thats how drafts go, and if a team really wants a player when a team is up, they have to make a deal to move up. Otherwise, most of their picks are 'settling' because of who was already drafted.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 05:26 PM)Beaker Wrote: Many ppl seem to feel like we had to settle for Price since Ragnow got picked ahead of us. And many hold Lapham in such high regard that they are sure Ragnow was our pre-ordained pick. But let me pose a hypothetical:

If Ragnow and Price were both still available when we picked at 21, and we took  Price, would you still have the same reservations?

In other words, how do we know they didnt favor Price all along anyway? Maybe they indeed got who they really wanted.

I think if they felt Ragnow was the much better center, they had a lot of weapons (extra draft picks) to get him. I think a better assumption is they had them graded equally and ahead of Daniels.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 06:22 PM)bonesaw Wrote: No.  I feel great about it.  Watched some film on all three centers this week.  Honestly I was most impressed by Price's drive and movement off the ball.  Only reason I was a tad higher on Ragnow was because he was bigger, longer arms, and while he wasn't as nasty or didn't get the movement it looked easy to him and Lap liked him.  I was down with either one.  Daniels I had a tad behind those two.

I think Price and Ragnow are both going to be great when all is said and done. I think we knew we wanted a center, but chose Price over Daniels as Price is stronger and can match up better with the 3-4 NT beasts of the AFCN.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The truth is that none of us are experts (although many think they are). We form our draft opinions on mocks and opinions of others who do this for a living. The mocks I saw often had Price slotted to us at 21. The beat guys at the Enquirer have been saying the pick would be Price for awhile now.

So all along, I've viewed Price as a 1st round pick, unlike say...Zeitler, who was slotted in the 2nd in most mocks leading up to the draft. As for Ragnow, I preferred Price for his physicality and proficiency in the run game, but I wouldn't have been mad either way. There were apparently 2 Centers who were amazing in this class, and we got one.

Too early to tell who will wind up better.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 07:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The truth is that none of us are experts (although many think they are). We form our draft opinions on mocks and opinions of others who do this for a living. The mocks I saw often had Price slotted to us at 21. The beat guys at the Enquirer have been saying the pick would be Price for awhile now.

So all along, I've viewed Price as a 1st round pick, unlike say...Zeitler, who was slotted in the 2nd in most mocks leading up to the draft. As for Ragnow, I preferred Price for his physicality and proficiency in the run game, but I wouldn't have been mad either way. There were apparently 2 Centers who were amazing in this class, and we got one.

Too early to tell who will wind up better.

Well said and I admit I am no expert, far from it so why I don't get locked in on 1 guy at each position and get mad if my guy is passed over by the team

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 06:57 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think Price and Ragnow are both going to be great when all is said and done. I think we knew we wanted a center, but chose Price over Daniels as Price is stronger and can match up better with the 3-4 NT beasts of the AFCN.

Pollack hinted at that in the press conference after the pick.

He specifically mentioned the need to have someone who could handle powerful NTs.
Reply/Quote
Btw, Daniel Jermiah of NFL.com doesn't think we "settled" by any stretch:

Quote:“I recently studied Buckeyes senior Billy Price and he’s one of the best center prospects I’ve seen in the past decade. He has tremendous upper body torque, quick feet and outstanding awareness. Elflein has enjoyed an outstanding rookie campaign with the Vikings, and I think Price is a superior player on college tape. I gave Price the same grade I gave Mangold when he entered the league, and Mangold ended up being a first-round selection.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/27/5-things-to-know-about-bengals-first-round-center-billy-price/amp/
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 07:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Btw, Daniel Jermiah of NFL.com doesn't think we "settled" by any stretch:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/27/5-things-to-know-about-bengals-first-round-center-billy-price/amp/

I haven’t been this happy over a first round pick in a very long time.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 07:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Btw, Daniel Jermiah of NFL.com doesn't think we "settled" by any stretch:

Wow!

I understand why some (most) experts dogged the pick after Ragnow went ahead of some. But, we all knew center was our #1 priority once traded for Glenn. I just wish they would do their homework, as only a moron gives us a "C" when we draft arguably best center in draft s position of great need at #21. Yet, the applaud Ozzie for grabbing a TE with a second round grade at pick #25.

Reply/Quote

It's really impossible to say at this point who they had higher.  What can be said is that given the typical value afforded to C's in the NFL, both in terms of draft round and contract value, they wouldn't have taken Price in the first if they didn't have the utmost confidence that he would be an immediate high caliber starter.  Last time the Bengals had a hole this big at C they waited until the 4th to draft Bodine.  Mike and Marvin have proven they won't reach on a C based on need.  Whether they had Ragnow higher or lower is really irrelevant.  Price is here because they think he can play.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 07:36 PM)Whatever Wrote: It's really impossible to say at this point who they had higher.  What can be said is that given the typical value afforded to C's in the NFL, both in terms of draft round and contract value, they wouldn't have taken Price in the first if they didn't have the utmost confidence that he would be an immediate high caliber starter.  Last time the Bengals had a hole this big at C they waited until the 4th to draft Bodine.  Mike and Marvin have proven they won't reach on a C based on need.  Whether they had Ragnow higher or lower is really irrelevant.  Price is here because they think he can play.

Spot on, MB does not waste money

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 07:21 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I haven’t been this happy over a first round pick in a very long time.

I was happy last year too, I have to admit. Of course, I still believe there's hope for Ross. I also don't think Price's injury is as likely to linger.

(04-27-2018, 07:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Wow!

I understand why some (most) experts dogged the pick after Ragnow went ahead of some. But, we all knew center was our #1 priority once traded for Glenn. I just wish they would do their homework, as only a moron gives us a "C" when we draft arguably best center in draft s position of great need at #21. Yet, the applaud Ozzie for grabbing a TE with a second round grade at pick #25.

Ozzie has been living off reputation for years now.
Reply/Quote
I was feeling we settled at first but after seeing the press conference I’m stoked. Sounds smart and the leader we need to take control of the line!
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 07:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Btw, Daniel Jermiah of NFL.com doesn't think we "settled" by any stretch:

I am no expert either but i see the same as Jeremiah here.

I think Ragnow was the more pro-ready Center but the upside with Price is way higher. He is right about the torque
and his awareness, these are rare qualities in an NFL Center let alone a college Center. Great run blocker, he decleats
Defenders at times like i have not seen honestly from a Center.

As Pollack says, he is all business.

Or bidness as i would say.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 06:10 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I wouldn't doubt it at all.

Perhaps they had Price and Ragnow pretty even and which ever one made it to 21 they were taking ?

Would have been interesting to see who they took if both were still there ?
I agree with you. Also, if both were still there at 21, they may have rolled the dice and waited until the 2nd round for a C. Or, maybe they had as plan to move further down in rd.#1 and have taken another position player at 21. I am very happy it turned out the way it did. Wink
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 06:03 PM)kevin Wrote: 2nd team All American 2016.  Unanimous All American 2017.  Rimington Award to best Center in College Football in 2017.  First Round NFL Draft Choice. 

No, I don't think we settled.  I saw Price, Ragnow, Daniels as a group we needed at least one from since we have no Center with Bodine gone.   We got a Center from this group.  

Only time will tell which one becomes the better Center in NFL.  We got a good one and that is all I care about.  Now NFL Center takes time to learn and he won't learn everything in Training Camp or Preseason. He will go through Rookie learning period.  Still, I think he has the raw potential at Center that Munoz and Montoya had at their positions of Tackle and Guard as Rookies.  I think over time we will see this as a huge upgrade from Cook and Bodine.  Could end up best Center for Bengals ever, but we won't know that for a few years.  I think somebody could be better than Bob Johnson some day, this might be the guy.

You are correct that we will never new know if Ragnow not taken pick before us, who they would have picked. It the long tun it doesn't matter. Only thing that matters now is Price is our Center and that is probably an upgrade from Bodine who was no Rimington Award Winner or runner up coming to Bengals.

I always hope someday Bengals will have a Jim Otto,  # 00 from Raiders.  I'm hoping Price is anchor at Center and Pro Bowl Awards for Bengals over next 10 years or more. Then nobody is ever going to question this pick. 
[/quote]
You're new here ,right?  He could become the GOAT and someone will still complain . There's never a shortage of people complaining about getting hung with a new rope.  Come to think about it I'd probably complain about getting hung with any rope. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote