Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you feel we "settled" for Price?
(04-30-2018, 06:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I read your question as "Did we settle", and I answered as no.  As far as BPA, that is a very subjective measure, but if you are going to try and evaluate that, you would need to project a certain % of this draft class that will become perennial Pro Bowlers.  Say, in round numbers, that ends up being 20 players, irrespective of position.  I would imagine that Price would have just as great a chance of being one of those 20 as any other players not named Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson.  I, in no way, see the players you mentioned (Wynn, Daniels, Williams, or Corbett) being a player with greater Pro Bowl potential. 

The position group may not be as sexy as WR, RB, QB, or DE, but relative to his peers and assuming the pectoral injury is behind him (it supposedly is) then I believe he was the BPA.

I do agree, however, that the Bengals will regret not taking Brown, but I somewhat understand the thought process of having Fisher, Hart, and Og compete for the one spot and give them one last chance under the new scheme.  As much as they have invested there, they almost have to give them one more shot.  It is my biggest concern heading in to the OTAs.  

Well I can believe that Logan Woodside was the best QB in the class but we have to deal with facts.  We won't know for a couple years and obviously our experts liked him,  but no one had him ranked as a first rounder and we have lots of needs.  We were 30th running the ball and near dead last stopping the run. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 12:02 PM)yang Wrote: Daniels was a better long term prospect who fits what we want to do better in a zone blocking scheme.  He's only 20 and every scout agrees he has way more upside.   Here's another tidbit to mull over, Price was the 27th ranked center last year against the pass.  (PFF) I mean, when Ohio State was so far behind in all those games and opposing teams were just teeing off on the QB explains....wait, what?  

Yes, they say Daniels may turn out to be the best of the three in a couple of years. Price is ready to start today. We need a Center today, not in 3 years when Daniels matures.....
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 12:06 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yes, they say Daniels may turn out to be the best of the three in a couple of years. Price is ready to start today. We need a Center today, not in 3 years when Daniels matures.....

And this is why we haven't won a playoff game in nearly 30 years.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 12:14 PM)yang Wrote: And this is why we haven't won a playoff game in nearly 30 years.

There is no guarantee Daniels will be that much better than Price, or that he even will, to forego Price playing now. What did you want to do, roll with TJ Johnson for two more years while Daniels matures? Screw that, Price was, and is, the best option for us.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 12:14 PM)yang Wrote: And this is why we haven't won a playoff game in nearly 30 years.

you seem to be having issue understanding the difference between Upside and Production now.

Potential is nice   But Production trumps it every time
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 12:05 PM)yang Wrote: Well I can believe that Logan Woodside was the best QB in the class but we have to deal with facts.  We won't know for a couple years and obviously our experts liked him,  but no one had him ranked as a first rounder and we have lots of needs.  We were 30th running the ball and near dead last stopping the run. 

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018_1.php

Walter had Price going 26th to the Falcons in his final mock, saying this:

Quote:Billy Price has been medically cleared by doctors, so he could be back in first-round discussion. 

Back, as in he was always in the 1st round discussion prior to his injury. Once cleared, he was back in that discussion. 

Charlie Campbell also had Price going in the 1st to the Falcons, saying this:

Quote:Price (6-4, 305) impressed NFL evaluators, both with his work in fall training camp and in the games of the 2017 season. They say that Price plays within himself. They like his awareness and call him an above-average athlete. He isn't overly fast or twitchy like the Pouncey brothers, but Price has movement skills and is better than average in space. The sources also like that Price handles big nose tackles well, which can be difficult for centers and is a hard-to-find talent. As a result of his well-balanced play, Price is being viewed as a prospect who could go in the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft. One team source thought that if Josh Garnett and Laken Tomlinson were worthy of first-round picks, then Price could be as well because they feel Price is a better prospect than either Garnett or Tomlinson. Teams are projecting Price to be a starting center in the NFL, but he also has the flexibility to play guard. Price tore a pectoral muscle while bench pressing at the combine, but that shouldn't impact his NFL career once he works his way back onto the field.

Walterfootball is a respected site with connections to scouts around the NFL.

Either way, I'm not sure why people get so hung up on projections by mock guys. Walter also had Sam Hubbard going in the 1st round. Many mocks had Mason Rudolph going in the first. Many guys "slipped" out of the first round. Some "slipped" back up into the first. To believe a team "reached" or "got value" you have to trust guys like Mayock and Walter over actual NFL front offices. 

I don't. Players generally go where most teams value them. The next team that needed a Center would've taken Price in the first. Maybe even by trading up. I'm very confident in that.

Now let me ask you this: Who did you want at 21?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 11:59 AM)yang Wrote: The problem with these message boards is the reading comprehension of most of it's members.

No it isn't.

The biggest problem is when people make cryptic responses that mean nothing.

Are you denying that you claimed we had to take Brown in the first because he probably would not be there when we selected in the second round? 
Reply/Quote

33 if we took Daniels.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 12:05 PM)yang Wrote: Well I can believe that Logan Woodside was the best QB in the class but we have to deal with facts.  We won't know for a couple years and obviously our experts liked him,  but no one had him ranked as a first rounder and we have lots of needs.  We were 30th running the ball and near dead last stopping the run. 

False.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Okay, I will concede that out of the top 50 or so notable mock drafts a couple had Price going in the first. I'm not even disputing he is a good player. It was obvious it filled a need and the Bengals liked him. We drafted him at the very top end of his range. There were simply better players available if you were going for best player. Right after us the Patriots took Wynn who will likely be a perennial all-pro lineman and they didn't need a lineman.

If Ross doesn't pan out we will probably rue not taking Moore or Ridley here.

Hayden Hurst is a fantastic prospect for when Eifert leaves or gets hurt again.

R Evans is going to be a fantastic linebacker and it's a huge need. Burfict is a play away from being hurt or banned for life. Penny is on a 1 year deal. Vigil and Evans were abysmal last year (ask PFF) Adding him and Jefferson would have been amazing.

It's not like we were forced to pick Price. There were other options. I get it. But we reached to fill a need. I don't even know why that is controversial to say.
Reply/Quote
Price is the more aggressive run blocker. Ragnow waz the better pass blocker. Both are likely better than Bodine.

Iz that settling?
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 12:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: you seem to be having issue understanding the difference between Upside and Production now.

Potential is nice   But Production trumps it every time

Plus, Price has just as much potential as Daniels anyways.

Way stronger and a way better run blocker with lots of room to improve.
Reply/Quote
For all the peeps who think they can look at a guy in college and measure what they did and project to the Pros, ESPN had an article that listed 2 college QB's stats and you had to pick which was the better Pro. It wuz impossible.

Nobody knows who out of Daniels, Ragnow, and Price will be the best Pro. It won't be known for 3-4 years.

There will be about half the 1st round picks not be starterz.

There will be Pro Bowl cats in the 2nd and 3rd Round.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 05:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well there are no Preordained picks unless you got the 1st overall lol. 

Maybe the let lap tell everyone we wanted Ragnow to make sure price was still there.

You can never know.

Price sounds like who they wanted all along. But they would come out and Say well that other guy was gone so we took him...  *giggle*

Price seems like he impressed them the most...  I think some of us jumped to wanting Ragnow just because he was a late riser in the draft process with price having injury we expected him to possibly fall to 2.

But then the doctor cleared price like 1 day ahead of the draft...   

But I will say NO...  (as we got Price and Glenn)   which trumps Ragnow anyday.

Video had them talking to price before Detriots pick was in. 
Watching Price a few time...I was saying....I WANT that guy.  I understand Ragenow is real good, didn't see him.  I think we were okay with Either.  we KNEW we had to get a C who can Start from Day One. we knew there were 3 such guys and likely at 21 we get one of them.  Several other teams wanted a C. Usually, not many C's go rd 1, but this time, th 3 GOOD guys could ALL go before our Rd 2.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 04:13 PM)yang Wrote: Okay, I will concede that out of the top 50 or so notable mock drafts a couple had Price going in the first.  I'm not even disputing he is a good player.  It was obvious it filled a need and the Bengals liked him.   We drafted him at the very top end of his range.   There were simply better players available if you were going for best player.  Right after us the Patriots took Wynn who will likely be a perennial all-pro lineman and they didn't need a lineman.  

R Evans is going to be a fantastic linebacker and it's a huge need.  Burfict is a play away from being hurt or banned for life.  Penny is on a 1 year deal.  Vigil and Evans were abysmal last year (ask PFF)    Adding him and Jefferson would have been amazing.  

It's not like we were forced to pick Price.  There were other options.   I get it.  But we reached to fill a need.  I don't even know why that is controversial to say.

Price was not a reach.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 12:06 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yes, they say Daniels may turn out to be the best of the three in a couple of years. Price is ready to start today. We need a Center today, not in 3 years when Daniels matures.....

This
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 04:13 PM)yang Wrote: Okay, I will concede that out of the top 50 or so notable mock drafts a couple had Price going in the first.  I'm not even disputing he is a good player.  It was obvious it filled a need and the Bengals liked him.   We drafted him at the very top end of his range.   There were simply better players available if you were going for best player.  Right after us the Patriots took Wynn who will likely be a perennial all-pro lineman and they didn't need a lineman.  

R Evans is going to be a fantastic linebacker and it's a huge need.  Burfict is a play away from being hurt or banned for life.  Penny is on a 1 year deal.  Vigil and Evans were abysmal last year (ask PFF)    Adding him and Jefferson would have been amazing.  

It's not like we were forced to pick Price.  There were other options.   I get it.  But we reached to fill a need.  I don't even know why that is controversial to say.

We get it, you wanted someone else.  However, the Bengals got a terrific prospect at a position of dire need.  Taking Price was hardly a reach.  Taking Ogbuehi back in '15, or even John Ross last year, was the colossal reach.  

To the bolded statements.  Why contradict yourself inside the same post?  Either the Bengals took a player that was deserving of the selection, or they didn't.  I'm going with the former.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Good golly miss molly...

Price was a consensus first round pick before the pec tear. Since he is 100% recovered and cleared he became a consensus first round pick again. And we took him in.....the first round. We did NOT reach for him.
Reply/Quote
I don’t understand the crowd that’s suggesting that we should have traded up to be sure we would have gotten Ragnow. So you want to give up a third rounder to move up 3 spots to get a center when there’s likely to be a center at 21 who’s just as good. There was no real disparity between those guys. Neither one of them really stood out as the best of the three, and you’re ok with giving up a pick to get “YOUR” guy.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 08:58 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I don’t understand the crowd that’s suggesting that we should have traded up to be sure we would have gotten Ragnow. So you want to give up a third rounder to move up 3 spots to get a center when there’s likely to be a center at 21 who’s just as good. There was no real disparity between those guys. Neither one of them really stood out as the best of the three, and you’re ok with giving up a pick to get “YOUR” guy.

Not to mention Ragnow was barely mentioned before Lapham mocked him to us. Then all of a sudden he is hugely better than Price. Again, it's ridiculous.
Reply/Quote