Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you feel we "settled" for Price?
(05-04-2018, 09:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Not to mention Ragnow was barely mentioned before Lapham mocked him to us. Then all of a sudden he is hugely better than Price. Again, it's ridiculous.

I’ve seen people throw out that Ragnow was the top ranked center going into the last season as an argument against Price. I’m pretty sure last year was Price’s first starting at the position, so naturally Ragnow would be ranked above him. Regardless of all that we still got a really good player, and addressed a position of need.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I would have been excited about Price, Ragnow or Daniels. I don't think Daniels has that much more "upside" I just think that he is a different type of player than Ragnow and Price (who I view as almost identical prospects)

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them and I also think that any of them can step in and start year 1. There were a lot of people who said that there was no way 3 centers would be off the board by the time we picked at #46. Well, this was a historic center class. I'm glad we didn't pass on one in round 1 because we would have been hurting next year.
Reply/Quote
I'm an Ohio State fan and have enjoyed watching Price play the last couple of years. I wish the Bengals could've traded down towards bottom of first round and still taken him, but given their obvious need and Ragnow already off the board, I don't have a problem with them slightly reaching on Price. His leadership qualities and intangibles are through the roof and this guy will be a productive 10 year player for the Bengals (if they value him enough to give him a second contract, which isn't a guarantee).
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 11:16 AM)Lionel Hutz Wrote:  I wish the Bengals could've traded down towards bottom of first round and still taken him

He definitely would not have been there in the 2nd round for us. And it is likely he would not have even been available later in the first:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/5/1/17306790/nfl-team-told-bengals-going-to-draft-billy-price-late-round-1-if-bengals-didnt

Not directly picking on you for the reply, but more using your reply to make the point to all those who keep saying we should have traded down in the first or waited until the second to take him.....NO, we needed to take him when we did.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 10:54 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I’ve seen people throw out that Ragnow was the top ranked center going into the last season as an argument against Price. I’m pretty sure last year was Price’s first starting at the position, so naturally Ragnow would be ranked above him. Regardless of all that we still got a really good player, and addressed a position of need.

Ragnow did not win the Rimington Trophy for the best Center in College Football, Billy Price did....
Reply/Quote
I really cannot believe people are complaining about getting this guy......
Quote:Ohio State Overview: Billy Price is one of the great offensive linemen in Ohio State’s storied history. A two-time All-American, including a unanimous All-American in 2017, Price is one of just six Buckeye offensive linemen to win a major national award, joining Jim Parker, John Hicks, Orlando Pace, LeCharles Bentley and Pat Elflein with that honor. Price was named the recipient of the Rimington Trophy in 2017 as the nation’s outstanding
center, giving Ohio State back-to-back winners of the award (Elflein in 2016) and the first time that has happened in the award’s history. Price also was named the Big Ten’s Rimington-Pace offensive lineman of the year in 2017. The two honors capped an outstanding career for Price, who not only was a two-time team captain, but who also set the record for starts and consecutive starts as a Buckeye with 55, respectively. He joined Elflein and Tyquan Lewis for the school record for games played, as well, at 55, meaning Price played in 55 games and started 55 times as a Buckeye. Price was a freshman starter in all 14 games in 2014 when the Buckeyes won the inaugural College Football Playoff national championship. He was a part of two Big Ten championship teams (2014 and 2017) and he also started bowl game wins over Alabama (2014 Sugar Bowl), Notre Dame (2015 Fiesta Bowl) and USC (2017 Cotton Bowl). He was the unquestioned leader along an offensive line that helped the Buckeyes rank among the Top 20 rushing teams in the nation four consecutive years, including 11th in 2016, 11th in 2015, ninth in 2014 and 17th in 2017 at 243.2 yards per game. The Buckeyes led the Big Ten in rushing three consecutive years between 2015 and 2017. In 2016 the line was one of three units nationally selected as a finalist for the Joe Moore Offensive Line of the Year Award.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 01:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I really cannot believe people are complaining about getting this guy......

I think sometimes people take their frustrations with the team out on certain players. Especially if they wanted some other guy in the draft.

A lot of people wanted Ragnow because Lapham said he'd be the pick. Then Detroit gets him and suddenly people think we got stuck with the inferior player. A lot of others wanted Lamar Jackson. Either way, I don't think Price is being judged on his own merits. Just the disappointment that we didn't take so-and-so.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 01:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think sometimes people take their frustrations with the team out on certain players. Especially if they wanted some other guy in the draft.

A lot of people wanted Ragnow because Lapham said he'd be the pick. Then Detroit gets him and suddenly people think we got stuck with the inferior player. A lot of others wanted Lamar Jackson. Either way, I don't think Price is being judged on his own merits. Just the disappointment that we didn't take so-and-so.

I would have loved to get Lamar, just not in the first. That said, I expect him to be a thorn in our side for the next 10 years now at Baltimore....
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 01:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I would have loved to get Lamar, just not in the first. That said, I expect him to be a thorn in our side for the next 10 years now at Baltimore....

Wanting Lamar was fine, but don't hate on Price because you wanted Lamar or Ragnow. That's all I'm saying.

This talk that we "reached" or wound up with an inferior player doesn't seem to be based on much facts.

If we reached, why has every review of that pick (that I've seen) been positive? I haven't seen any mention of reaching other than here.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'm not a big fan of taking absolute need over a star player, but in retrospect it worked out well. Daniels, Wynn and Hernandez went before the KC pick and Price would have likely been a late 1st or very early 2nd had he not went at 21. I wanted a deal back, but that takes 2 and could have blown up in their face. I didn't see anyone that I'm heartbroken over missing at 21, and it got the need out of the way so they can move on and set the tone for the rest of the draft.

By doing the pick swap with KC, it allowed them to get their CF type FS that should be a big part of the defense, take a player that in their eyes should have went a round sooner (Hubbard) and then add a talent at LB that could contribute soon because they'll likely keep things simple for him. I don't think they settled for Price, because they didn't "settle" for filling a need to pass up an awesome player that was still on the board.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 02:04 PM)phil413 Wrote: I'm not a big fan of taking absolute need over a star player, but in retrospect it worked out well.  Daniels, Wynn and Hernandez went before the KC pick and Price would have likely been a late 1st or very early 2nd had he not went at 21.  I wanted a deal back, but that takes 2 and could have blown up in their face.  I didn't see anyone that I'm heartbroken over missing at 21, and it got the need out of the way so they can move on and set the tone for the rest of the draft.

By doing the pick swap with KC, it allowed them to get their CF type FS that should be a big part of the defense, take a player that in their eyes should have went a round sooner (Hubbard) and then add a talent at LB that could contribute soon because they'll likely keep things simple for him.  I don't think they settled for Price, because they didn't "settle" for filling a need to pass up an awesome player that was still on the board.

Nice post Phil.

I wanted Ragnow or Price at 21 more than anyone besides maybe Wynn.

We got one of them at the biggest area of need on the team.

No way is that a reach, great pick.

Best pick of the Draft and even with the pectoral tear Price should be ready come TC.
Reply/Quote
The main reason I am glad we did not take Ragnow is because we avoided the awful puns Hobson would have came up with using his name.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 02:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The main reason I am glad we did not take Ragnow is because we avoided the awful puns Hobson would have came up with using his name.

"Bengals drafted their "Ragnow-rock in the middle".  Smirk
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 01:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Wanting Lamar was fine, but don't hate on Price because you wanted Lamar or Ragnow. That's all I'm saying.

This talk that we "reached" or wound up with an inferior player doesn't seem to be based on much facts.

If we reached, why has every review of that pick (that I've seen) been positive? I haven't seen any mention of reaching other than here.

Hate on Price? I'm all about Price. I've clearly stated we needed a Center in the first, and while Price was my pick, I would have been fine with Ragnow or Daniels too. Nowhere have I called Price an inferior player, I think we got the best of the three and he will hold that spot for years to come as a Pro Bowler. I was just hoping Lamar would fall out of the first and we could snag him.....
Reply/Quote
TBH Lamar Jackson is basically the same player as Terrelle Pryor.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 02:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The main reason I am glad we did not take Ragnow is because we avoided the awful puns Hobson would have came up with using his name.

Instead we get "Price is right" so...
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 04:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Hate on Price? I'm all about Price. I've clearly stated we needed a Center in the first, and while Price was my pick, I would have been fine with Ragnow or Daniels too. Nowhere have I called Price an inferior player, I think we got the best of the three and he will hold that spot for years to come as a Pro Bowler. I was just hoping Lamar would fall out of the first and we could snag him.....

I was speaking in General, sled. Not about you.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 01:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think sometimes people take their frustrations with the team out on certain players. Especially if they wanted some other guy in the draft.

This is spot on.  I'm sorry but some of you that thought this way should consider your opinion when looking at a mock with Ragnow at 21...the day before the Lamp leak.  I think too many were operating out of Cincy not messing up and taking a WR or CB to redshirt and trust in incumbents or anot her nid round center.  If Lamp never mentioned his name, the concensus would be that Cincy got the better center in Price, and Detroit settled.  
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 08:31 PM)phil413 Wrote: This is spot on.  I'm sorry but some of you that thought this way should consider your opinion when looking at a mock with Ragnow at 21...the day before the Lamp leak.  I think too many were operating out of Cincy not messing up and taking a WR or CB to redshirt and trust in incumbents or anot her nid round center.  If Lamp never mentioned his name, the concensus would be that Cincy got the better center in Price, and Detroit settled.  

Over a year later, and we could still use a good FA RT. LOL
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 07:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote:  
I was speaking in General, sled. Not about you.

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote