Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you feel we "settled" for Price?
(04-28-2018, 11:46 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Seriously? You do know Daniels also went prior to our 2nd round pick at 46 also, os likely if we waited we missed out on all 3 potentially now good, but great centers. What wear and tear? He has been an iron man and like many pros hurt himself lifting weights, a minor injury that was fixed and he will be ready to go full pads by July at the latest according to the worst scenario reported.

Are you telling me you truly believe there weren't 15 better players than Price when we picked.  Be serious and not a homer.  And yes, Daniels went before we picked because he was a better prospect long term.  Price would have been there though. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 02:53 PM)yang Wrote: Are you telling me you truly believe there weren't 15 better players than Price when we picked.  Be serious and not a homer.  And yes, Daniels went before we picked because he was a better prospect long term.  Price would have been there though. 

If you polled every scout, you would have more behind Price than Ragnow, and he went at 20.  Center may not be sexy, but this goes a long way to address a deficiency on this team that has been there for over a decade.  Price is an excellent long-term prospect, with four years of starting at two offensive line positions and winning the Rimmington Award.  He also has off-the-charts leadership and was often referred to as the mouthpiece for the offense at OSU.  

Maybe you would feel better about him knowing he had completed to 225 bench press 40 times in practice sessions.  The guy was the strongest prospect at center as well.  Don't you think it is about time we started winning at the line of scrimmage?  

Andy Dalton, Joe Mixon, and Gio Bernard do. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 02:53 PM)yang Wrote:   Price would have been there though. 

Eh...that's debatable.  Price could have been a guard prospect for some teams.  Got to remember Austin Corbett and Braden Smith went early in the second also.  Price would have easily been in the running at those spots.  Heck. Price could have gone to Carolina at 24.  Nobody knows for sure. 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 08:03 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Eh...that's debatable.  Price could have been a guard prospect for some teams.  Got to remember Austin Corbett and Braden Smith went early in the second also.  Price would have easily been in the running at those spots.  Heck. Price could have gone to Carolina at 24.  Nobody knows for sure. 

Agreed. You just don’t know and we had to take the pick.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 07:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If you polled every scout, you would have more behind Price than Ragnow, and he went at 20.  Center may not be sexy, but this goes a long way to address a deficiency on this team that has been there for over a decade.  Price is an excellent long-term prospect, with four years of starting at two offensive line positions and winning the Rimmington Award.  He also has off-the-charts leadership and was often referred to as the mouthpiece for the offense at OSU.  

Maybe you would feel better about him knowing he had completed to 225 bench press 40 times in practice sessions.  The guy was the strongest prospect at center as well.  Don't you think it is about time we started winning at the line of scrimmage?  

Andy Dalton, Joe Mixon, and Gio Bernard do. 

Hey racer, with all due respect, that wasn’t the question. The question was if Price was a reach. Was he the BPA? Clearly no.

We don’t know how this ends up for years, but for now, we reached to fill a need. We actually took the 2nd choice at that position. And he is a fine prospect but not without some warts. (See PFF) There were clearly many other higher rated prospects in the offensive line still there along with many other positions.

What if you could have had Isaiah Wynn and Price in the second? If Price wasn’t there then one of the others would have likely fallen, Daniels, Connor Williams, or Austin Corbett.

So the question is did we reach? Clearly. Hey, I’ll pray to the Norns at Yggdrasil that fate intervenes and makes him a 10 year all pro center. I believe he is an upgrade, which isn’t saying much.

I’ll also bet the Ratbirds make us regret not taking Orlando Brown.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 10:54 AM)yang Wrote: Never tell me we draft BPA ever again.  No way is Price the BPA.  Given his injury he would have been there in the 2nd.  He's good but I see him fall down and whiff on too much game tape while trying to move.  He is no where near as mobile as Daniels in the zone schemes, and Daniels had way more upside.  I mean after 55 games we are already seeing the wear and tear on Price.   He might be better than Bodine.  Maybe.

You're leaving an important part off of the phrase.  It's BPA that fits an area of need.  

And from reading the rest of your post, it seems like you just may have had yourself so set on Daniels that you weren't willing to accept any other possibilities.  As for Daniels being better than Price?  Eh, not so sure Daniels would fit what the Bengals want in a Center.  If you read both of their draft profiles on NFL.com, you would know that Price was said to be better at facing NTs.  The Bengals face off against the 3-4 defense 8 times this year, in the regular season alone.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I feel like we settled....... for the best Center in the draft..... Tongue
Reply/Quote
For all those who say we settled for Price I wanna know who we should have draft instead ?
I’ll put a list of the picks that went after him. You have 2 WR’s , we draft one 9th last year. 2 RB’s we have Mixon and Benard. A TE who is 25 years old. A CB , we have 3 1st rounders. A 3 technique DT we have Geno. A safety with a 2nd round grade. A project QB. I think you could make a case for Wynn and Evans. Wynn wouldn’t play LT because we have Glenn.

Tennessee Titans: LB Rashaan Evans, Alabama

23. New England Patriots: OT Isaiah Wynn, Georgia

24. Carolina Panthers: WR D.J. Moore, Maryland

25. Baltimore Ravens: TE Hayden Hurst, South Carolina

26. Atlanta Falcons: WR Calvin Ridley, Alabama

27. Seattle Seahawks: RB Rashaad Penny, San Diego State

28. Pittsburgh Steelers: S Terrell Edmunds, Virginia Tech

29. Jacksonville Jaguars: DT Taven Bryan, Florida

30. Minnesota Vikings: CB Mike Hughes, UCF

31. New England Patriots: RB Sony Michel, Georgia

32. Baltimore Ravens: QB Lamar Jackson, Louisville
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 11:11 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: That whole piece on Price has me fired up. I know he couldn't say that before the draft but if I would have known all that , I would have rather had him over Ragnow anyway. 

Fired me up too.  ThumbsUp

For anyone who missed it: https://www.google.com/amp/s/bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/27/5-things-to-know-about-bengals-first-round-center-billy-price/amp/

(04-28-2018, 02:53 PM)yang Wrote: Are you telling me you truly believe there weren't 15 better players than Price when we picked.  Be serious and not a homer.  And yes, Daniels went before we picked because he was a better prospect long term.  Price would have been there though. 

Please provide a few mocks that had Price still available with our 2nd round pick. 

15 better players? 

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=4393007]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
We all need to stop and remember....TROLLS are out hot and heavy after every draft, there are many ways to deal with them, you decide for yourself what to do!! Smirk
Reply/Quote
I'm actually glad the Lions took Ragnow one spot ahead of us - simply because I think if both were on the board that the Bengals would have taken Price.

Im actually thrilled. I'm so sick and tired of the piss-poor center play over the last 4 seasons. If you go back a couple of months, before the injury, Price was the top center in the draft. I feel like he and Ragnow were 1 and 1a.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 05:39 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: We will never know who was really atop their board but if we “settled” I’d say We found ourselves one heck of a settlement.

To me I feel like they picked price to put butts in the seats,and while he is very good,I just do not see him holding up throughout our season,as our division is going to be the toughest in nfl.I would much rather pick James Daniels who is bigger,younger faster and stronger.Has a much longer reach than billy price and I like Price,but until he shows us he can ball out and be a dog,I am not buying it.I always say to all,just SHOW ME,BROTHER, I WANT TO BE A BELIEVER.
Reply/Quote
I actually don't think we reached. I think he was in the 20-25 range (along with Ragnow) and fit a major need that this team has had for 5 years.

Wynn would have been the only other guy that I would have considered, but had we gone that route, we would have been looking at the 4th best center in the draft coming in and competing this year. I feel much better about this situation.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 07:44 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: To me I feel like they picked price to put butts in the seats,and while he is very good,I just do not see him holding up throughout our season,as our division is going to be the toughest in nfl.I would much rather pick James Daniels who is bigger,younger faster and stronger.Has a much longer reach than billy price and I like Price,but until he shows us he can ball out and be a dog,I am not buying it.I always say to all,just SHOW ME,BROTHER, I WANT TO BE A BELIEVER.

Daniels is not bigger or stronger.  I could care less about reach with a center.

Price played 55 games at OSU without an injury, I am not worried at all about his ability to hold up.

That being said, I don't see a Center putting butts in the seats.  LaMar Jackson would have been the pick if that was the goal.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 09:34 AM)yang Wrote: Hey racer, with all due respect, that wasn’t the question.  The question was if Price was a reach.  Was he the BPA?  Clearly no.    

We don’t know how this ends up for years, but for now, we reached to fill a need. We actually took the 2nd choice at that position.   And he is a fine prospect but not without some warts. (See PFF)  There were clearly many other higher rated prospects in the offensive line still there along with many other positions.  

What if you could have had Isaiah Wynn and Price in the second?    If Price wasn’t there then one of the others would have likely fallen, Daniels, Connor Williams, or Austin Corbett.

So the question is did we reach?  Clearly.    Hey, I’ll pray to the Norns at Yggdrasil that fate intervenes and makes him a 10 year all pro center.   I believe he is an upgrade, which isn’t saying much.  

I read your question as "Did we settle", and I answered as no.  As far as BPA, that is a very subjective measure, but if you are going to try and evaluate that, you would need to project a certain % of this draft class that will become perennial Pro Bowlers.  Say, in round numbers, that ends up being 20 players, irrespective of position.  I would imagine that Price would have just as great a chance of being one of those 20 as any other players not named Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson.  I, in no way, see the players you mentioned (Wynn, Daniels, Williams, or Corbett) being a player with greater Pro Bowl potential. 

The position group may not be as sexy as WR, RB, QB, or DE, but relative to his peers and assuming the pectoral injury is behind him (it supposedly is) then I believe he was the BPA.

I do agree, however, that the Bengals will regret not taking Brown, but I somewhat understand the thought process of having Fisher, Hart, and Og compete for the one spot and give them one last chance under the new scheme.  As much as they have invested there, they almost have to give them one more shot.  It is my biggest concern heading in to the OTAs.  
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 10:25 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: That being said, I don't see a Center putting butts in the seats.  LaMar Jackson would have been the pick if that was the goal.

Exactly!!!! Louisville is dead in the middle of Cincinnati and Indianapolis, but we get Indy games instead of Cincy games when they play at the same time (Lexington gets Cincy games.) Fortunately for the last couple of years, this doesn't happen often and when it does I just go to the Cigar Lounge and watch there. MB could have picked Lamar and gained a whole new city of fans within driving distance of PBS if putting butts in the seats was his purpose with that pick....
Reply/Quote
I don't think it was a "reach", but not a very good value pick. It was clearly based off need, and not BPA available which is usually there mantra. This draft was very safe and conservative, and that's fine.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 09:34 AM)yang Wrote: Hey racer, with all due respect, that wasn’t the question.  The question was if Price was a reach.  Was he the BPA?  Clearly no.    

We don’t know how this ends up for years, but for now, we reached to fill a need. We actually took the 2nd choice at that position.   And he is a fine prospect but not without some warts. (See PFF)  There were clearly many other higher rated prospects in the offensive line still there along with many other positions.  

What if you could have had Isaiah Wynn and Price in the second?    If Price wasn’t there then one of the others would have likely fallen, Daniels, Connor Williams, or Austin Corbett.

So the question is did we reach?  Clearly.    Hey, I’ll pray to the Norns at Yggdrasil that fate intervenes and makes him a 10 year all pro center.   I believe he is an upgrade, which isn’t saying much.  

So the guy who said we had to take Orlando Brown in the first round because he would not be available when we selected in the second round is trying to act like he is some kind of draft prospect expert?

Priceless.

(pun intended)
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 12:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You're leaving an important part off of the phrase.  It's BPA that fits an area of need.  

And from reading the rest of your post, it seems like you just may have had yourself so set on Daniels that you weren't willing to accept any other possibilities.  As for Daniels being better than Price?  Eh, not so sure Daniels would fit what the Bengals want in a Center.  If you read both of their draft profiles on NFL.com, you would know that Price was said to be better at facing NTs.  The Bengals face off against the 3-4 defense 8 times this year, in the regular season alone.

Daniels was a better long term prospect who fits what we want to do better in a zone blocking scheme.  He's only 20 and every scout agrees he has way more upside.   Here's another tidbit to mull over, Price was the 27th ranked center last year against the pass.  (PFF) I mean, when Ohio State was so far behind in all those games and opposing teams were just teeing off on the QB explains....wait, what?  
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 10:25 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Daniels is not bigger or stronger.  I could care less about reach with a center.

Price played 55 games at OSU without an injury, I am not worried at all about his ability to hold up.

That being said, I don't see a Center putting butts in the seats.  LaMar Jackson would have been the pick if that was the goal.

My thinking also!  Your center plays in a phone booth not on the edge. 
I believe Price would have been the pick if Ragnow had been on the board still. I would have been just as excited to have Ragnow if Detroit had picked Price. I have been a big fan of Billy since his freshman year when he came and RG at OSU. You could tell he had a mean streak!!
Reply/Quote