Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Do you think Ross gets a 2nd life?
(02-09-2018, 10:54 AM)Wyche Wrote: There was a LB though.....

That's a horse of a different color.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2018, 06:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And part of that was Zimmers playoff defense.

Yep, for whatever reason everyone has done poorly under Marv in the Playoffs.
Reply/Quote
Read most of the last two pages; some good discussion and posts, but slightly off topic.

To get back to it, Ross darn sure better get a chance. He was last year's #1. He has speed and good hands. Merv better get his head out of his arse, and put away the personal beef. From a pure business standpoint, Merv needs to take a different approach.After all, he is the coach and motivator,I reckon?

I hated the Ross pick. Hated it! Still do. TS, from a purely talent/speed perspective, he should to be given a fair shake if the powers that be want the team to improve. Can't teach speed. Ted Ginn Jr has made an entire career off of it.
Reply/Quote
Quote:I don't mean to bash Zimmer.  I think he is a great coach.  But he is not the god some here seem to think.  His defenses stunk it up in the playoff losses here with the Bengals.
My my Fredro.. That's sacrilegious around here not giving Zimmer god-like status. Why, he's one of the many former assistant coaches the Bengals didn't promote over Marvin to go on to win multiple super bowls..
Oh wait...how many former assistants under Marvin have won multiple super bowls? Gee I ran out of fingers while counting them all.. To hear some folks around here tell it every former assistant coach not named Bill Walsh have won the Super Bowl after not replacing Marvin.. 
Strange how that keeps happening, huh?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2018, 02:00 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Totally agree.  To me it sounds like Ross didn't put in the work and Marvin made him pay for it.  That's the way it works for most of us in the real world.  I'll take slow and smart over fast and stupid any day.

That wasn't really his MO coming out of college. 

I mean it's all speculation.

But Marvin doesn't have much patience for injuries, there are rumors that Marvin didn't want Ross - and Ross is not Marvin's type of receiver.  Marvin likes them big.   Ross' rap coming out was his injury issue, and he came in needing surgery out of the gate. 

The injuries deprived him of all of the OTAs and camp, then he gets hurt right away so he's not practicing - another of Marvin's most unfavorite things.  Then he gets in a game and fumbles (when pretty much anyone would) - another one of Marvin's most unfavorite things.   Then he hides the fact that he got injured again which not only masks his true abilities, but deprives the coaches of dealing with the real problem.  Probably not one of Marvin's favorite things - and I would not blame him.  But if the culture in the NFL is "play hurt" - and it is - why do you blame him for doing that?

It was a perfect storm both for Marvin and John.

The only thing I really disrespect is that Marvin talks about keeping all team problems in the locker room;  with "family". Then Marvin throws Ross under the bus repeatedly.   That to me is not just petty, it's hypocritical.  Next Lazor does the same thin in the post season by challenging him in public. 

That's no way to operate.  As bad as he might have been NONE of the coaching staff should have been quoted on the subject unless it was positive.  What is the kid supposed to feel like?

The best chance for this guy to get going is for someone to get behind him and send some positive corrective energy his way.   Again, I have no idea if that was already tried, but I don't think the kid has had much chance to get his feet under him.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 02:52 PM)3wt Wrote: The only thing I really disrespect is that Marvin talks about keeping all team problems in the locker room;  with "family". Then Marvin throws Ross under the bus repeatedly.   That to me is not just petty, it's hypocritical.  Next Lazor does the same thin in the post season by challenging him in public. 

That's no way to operate.  As bad as he might have been NONE of the coaching staff should have been quoted on the subject unless it was positive.  What is the kid supposed

You are going to get a lot of blowback from this.  One of the biggest complaints many people around here have with Marvin is that he never calls out the players who mess up.

"No accountability."
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 03:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You are going to get a lot of blowback from this.  One of the biggest complaints many people around here have with Marvin is that he never calls out the players who mess up.

"No accountability."

I have my issues with Marvin, but that is not one of them.  And honestly I've been surprised when he has done anything in the press (i.e. coaching a defensive game for Leslie Frazier and contradicting Guenther publicly).  I mean I'm sure the vast majority of what he does is in private, so I don't understand when he has put anything out there.

But he shouldn't call players out that way.  There's already too much noise out here as it is.

Like presidents the majority of what will be known about coaches will be down the road.  As much as I get frustrated by what I see I have to acknowledge I don't really have a clue what goes on behind the scene.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 02:52 PM)3wt Wrote: That wasn't really his MO coming out of college. 

I mean it's all speculation.

But Marvin doesn't have much patience for injuries, there are rumors that Marvin didn't want Ross - and Ross is not Marvin's type of receiver.  Marvin likes them big.   Ross' rap coming out was his injury issue, and he came in needing surgery out of the gate. 

The injuries deprived him of all of the OTAs and camp, then he gets hurt right away so he's not practicing - another of Marvin's most unfavorite things.  Then he gets in a game and fumbles (when pretty much anyone would) - another one of Marvin's most unfavorite things.   Then he hides the fact that he got injured again which not only masks his true abilities, but deprives the coaches of dealing with the real problem.  Probably not one of Marvin's favorite things - and I would not blame him.  But if the culture in the NFL is "play hurt" - and it is - why do you blame him for doing that?

It was a perfect storm both for Marvin and John.

The only thing I really disrespect is that Marvin talks about keeping all team problems in the locker room;  with "family". Then Marvin throws Ross under the bus repeatedly.   That to me is not just petty, it's hypocritical.  Next Lazor does the same thin in the post season by challenging him in public. 

That's no way to operate.  As bad as he might have been NONE of the coaching staff should have been quoted on the subject unless it was positive.  What is the kid supposed to feel like?

The best chance for this guy to get going is for someone to get behind him and send some positive corrective energy his way.   Again, I have no idea if that was already tried, but I don't think the kid has had much chance to get his feet under him.

Great post once again 3wt. Cannot disagree with any of this.

Even the Lazor thought. Shouldn't be degrading your 1st round pick in public, these guys can be sensitive but Ross is a classy
dude and i bet he gets over it and uses it as motivation. He just needs to get that shoulder tough as hell and he should be good.

In the end it is just complete bullshit to not use the talent you have if he is healthy. He was a healthy scratch when we needed
speed for heck sake. I would use whoever i had regardless of who it is, he was a first round pick and all have talent to be used.

John Ross has tons of talent, he is not just speed and he is smart.
Reply/Quote
BUST
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2018, 11:47 PM)Browns Town Bengal Wrote: BUST

Guess William Jackson III was too before last year.

Give the guy a chance before calling him a bust please...
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2018, 10:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: In the end it is just complete bullshit to not use the talent you have if he is healthy. He was a healthy scratch when we needed speed for heck sake. I would use whoever i had regardless of who it is, he was a first round pick and all have talent to be used.

He was only called a "healthy scratch" because he was hiding an injury from the coaches.

If it had came out that Marvin was playing him with a lingering injury then you would be all over Marvin for "mortgaging the future to try and save his job".  Then you would go on about how we weren't going to win anything this season so it would have made better sense to shut Ross down for the year.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 06:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He was only called a "healthy scratch" because he was hiding an injury from the coaches.

If it had came out that Marvin was playing him with a lingering injury then you would be all over Marvin for "mortgaging the future to try and save his job".  Then you would go on about how we weren't going to win anything this season so it would have made better sense to shut Ross down for the year.

The whole thing is perplexing to say the least. But John Ross wanted to play and show that he was not a wasted pick.

I think this is true.

And yes, i would hold the coach accountable for what he does. I think all Bengal fans should.
Reply/Quote