Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Do you think Ross gets a 2nd life?
(01-28-2018, 12:47 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Marvin is the one who needs his opinion adjusted for Ross to flourish. 

That's not all he needs, maybe a good 'ol fashioned trip behind the woodshed.  Spank the grin and giggles out of him.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2018, 12:47 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Marvin is the one who needs his opinion adjusted for Ross to flourish. 

Well, Marvin thinks Bodine is a good player, despite four years of hard, overwhelming evidence to the contrary.  What else needs to be said?  And to think a lot of people wanted him to be the GM.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I never realized he had a first life, to be honest.

I think Ross is better than your average pure speed prospect. He's not bereft of route running talent by any stretch and has excellent feet. I think that injuries are the big question with him. Is he ever going to be healthy enough to get on the field for a long string of games?

One thing that concerns me is reading reports that the team is looking hard at day 1 receiver prospects at the Senior Bowl. That's gotta be a bad sign for JR. Why on earth would that position be a day 1 focus for this team with Boyd, Malone and Ross already representing young talent on the roster?

I fear we may see a Jerome Simpson type of career trajectory for JR. High pick sits and sits and sits until the team gets really desperate late into his rookie deal. The team has shown that they're more than willing to take that road regardless of the resources invested in the player.
Reply/Quote
He's already going down as the greatest Bengal to be seen as being treated badly by the coaching staff and to have all his talents to be squandered before having ever caught a pass and winning the prestigious 'I hated the pick award'.. 
I'm told that he just wants to thank all the little people. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 11:34 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Seems that at least new WRs coach Bob Bicknell is excited for Ross - http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/New-coach-says-Ross-speed-can-pay-off/078f4548-0762-4125-a6d2-c124ac347069

Yeah, and I remember when Paulie G said something about changes in personnel and playing younger guys and then Marv happened.  Didn't work out so well for Paulie, or for Bengal fans.  I hate to sound so jaded, but I am just sick of conservative, stupid Marv.  His time was passed in the 70s.  He is not a modern era football mind.  
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2018, 05:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If you use a speedy receiver like Ross right it can definately help. The problem is the coaching once again and Zampese
was terrible at using his players to their strengths and Lazor inherited the dudes shitty playbook that doesn't use the players
to their strengths.

Hindsight is 20/20 but at the time there was not an O-lineman at 9 that was worthy of the pick. We would of had to trade
down and grab one.

A receiver like Ross can be used on short slants and quick screens and it takes pressure off the O-line.

Football 101

Only problem is, our coaching staff hasn't passed "Football For Dummies", the cliffnotes version, multiple choice exam as the prerequisite to Football 101.  In other words, the coaching staff on the Bengals is so stupid that everyone in the world can see it, but they not only fail to see it but get angry and defensive because "we don't know what we are talking about".  Watching the playoffs, you see such creativity, aggressiveness, and perfect execution.  We are lucky to see that in one drive, let alone an entire game.  

I have actually started to become empathetic toward our players stuck with these dumbasses.  
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 04:24 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I actually called John Ross getting drafted like 7 days before the draft in my group last year. I was excited to add the fastest guy in the NFL.

Training camp came and I got to go on the first day, and I went up to get his autograph first,but everybody was pushing each other and barging through to get his autograph. I was kind of close and he wasn't much taller then me and I'm 5'7 . He had to be 5'9 at most that's being generous.

I did not know he was that short lol that's the only thing that concerns me,and he might be best in the slot with his size like a Andrew Hawkins type of guy.

As for Marvin and Ross,  Ross was trying to get healthy in preseason and I knew he wouldn't play game 1 . But when they got veteran lafell ,and Malone and core had all the reps ,I think Marvin was fine with what we had and just didn't trust Ross at all. And he's like that with alot of rookies unless you climb the depth chart.i don't blame Ross at all ,I think that's just Marvin Lewis for you.

While I agree with your sentiment about Marv, your statement about his height is not remotely accurate.  I met him and looked him dead in the eye and I am a shade under 6'.

His combine numbers show 5'11" and they are incredibly meticulous in their measurements.  Lots of guys "shrink" at the combine.  Ross came it at 5'11"

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/john-ross?id=2558010
Reply/Quote
Yes, but did you take into account the thickness of both of the soles of your shoes and John Ross' shoes? One or both of you may or may not have been wearing thicker socks! Perhaps both of you were barefoot . One or both of you may or may not have sufficiently washed your feet the day before.. It's possible there could be a micro discrepancy in your calculations.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 08:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe we could make a poll, but I feel like the most common view is that Ross is good but Marvin refuses to play him.  That might not change in 2018.

I'm somewhere in-between on that. While I do think Ross is probably at least partly to blame for not being on the field, I also think Marvin was extra harsh on him and should've put him on the field more. We sucked anyway, so why not let Ross embarrass himself if he's so terrible? Thing is, I doubt he would've embarrassed himself. I doubt he's ready the way Merv wants him to be ready, but I sincerely doubt he was so bad that he couldn't have made any impact whatsoever, if utilized properly.

Doesn't take a technician to run a small handful of routes properly, or play a deep decoy. In short, I feel it was part injury, part Ross, and part Marv punishing the guy for whatever reason...be it that Marv didn't like his attitude or didn't like that Mike overstepped him on the pick. 

I think it's a little of both, but no doubt Marv has a long history of making rookies "earn" their place. 

Tough on rookies, soft as a grape on veteran players. It kills me how he could be so tough on guys like Ross, but then talks about what an asset Bodine is.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2018, 04:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm somewhere in-between on that. While I do think Ross is probably at least partly to blame for not being on the field, I also think Marvin was extra harsh on him and should've put him on the field more. We sucked anyway, so why not let Ross embarrass himself if he's so terrible? Thing is, I doubt he would've embarrassed himself. I doubt he's ready the way Merv wants him to be ready, but I sincerely doubt he was so bad that he couldn't have made any impact whatsoever, if utilized properly.

Doesn't take a technician to run a small handful of routes properly, or play a deep decoy. In short, I feel it was part injury, part Ross, and part Marv punishing the guy for whatever reason...be it that Marv didn't like his attitude or didn't like that Mike overstepped him on the pick. 

I think it's a little of both, but no doubt Marv has a long history of making rookies "earn" their place. 

Tough on rookies, soft as a grape on veteran players. It kills me how he could be so tough on guys like Ross, but then talks about what an asset Bodine is.
Marvin is a worthless, incompetent dumbass, has proven it time and time again and we are the unfortunate bastards unfairly stuck with him. 

I trust nothing he says or does, have no faith in his ability.  We will never get anywhere near a SB as long as he is here.  His very presence here guarantees it.  He is an arrogant moron and his boss is the king of all morons.

The entire franchise is a bad joke on us all.  We all know it.  We know we have no chance.  We try to believe but the ringmasters running this circus go far out of their way to make it impossible to believe anything will ever change.  They taunt us, tease us, inflict wounds and then rub salt in them over and over again. 

Every choice they make is wrong, every idea they have is bad.

There are draft prospects out there right now doomed to be Bengals.  Poor bastards.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2018, 01:16 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: That's not all he needs, maybe a good 'ol fashioned trip behind the woodshed.  Spank the grin and giggles out of him.

One would have thought that the opening day loss to Baltimore would have taken care of that.  Bengals first home opener in years, lose 20-0 to a division rival that they should have handled.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis threw John Ross under the bus numerous times. It's been well-known that Marvin didn't want Ross.

Saying "he doesn't know the routes". Meanwhile they had Josh Malone run a post route more than half his passing snaps.

He also made plays during practice. Sure. Injury might have been a thing, but let's not act like he was doing bad when practicing

Also, here's practice footage with John Ross: http://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/15/john-ross-practice-videos-making-big-plays-injury/

You see multiple routes, him getting separation, and bursts in and out of breaks.

We had one of the worst offenses in the NFL last year. Ross helps this team and should be on the field.

We need young players to play. Obviously our veterans haven't gotten it done. Move on to youth and get the young guys out there. No one gets better on the bench.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
He should at least get a chance since he was drafted so high. I wasnt a fan of drafting him that high up to begin with, but since they cant go back in time to redo it, hopefully he can be a good compliment to AJ and Malone (or whomever) going forward. And just maybe, be a solid number two receiver sooner than later. Realistically that seems to be the best to root for in the short term, and if he can be a solid number 2, then hopefully down the road develop into a number 1 once AJ is done. But not holding my breath on that.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2018, 02:38 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: While I agree with your sentiment about Marv, your statement about his height is not remotely accurate.  I met him and looked him dead in the eye and I am a shade under 6'.

His combine numbers show 5'11" and they are incredibly meticulous in their measurements.  Lots of guys "shrink" at the combine.  Ross came it at 5'11"

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/john-ross?id=2558010

Well I was 2 feet away saying john ,John. Before they start really pushing in the crowd like wild animals and they called him to leave. But I guess we both have different perceptions of him. I still think 5'9 at best. I think that's why he's had so many injuries and that's why they say he can't block. He's little for a receiver. That's why I don't have alot of faith he can just take the outside #2. He might end up just being a slot and gadget guy like Hawkins .

Edit , I think they lie about height all the time they say Mayfield is 6ft ,and that's just hard to believe. I like Mayfield but he looks short.actually him and Ross might be the same size about except Ross is skinny.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2018, 07:01 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Well I was 2 feet away saying john ,John. Before they start really pushing in the crowd like wild animals and they called him to leave. But I guess we both have different perceptions of him. I still think 5'9 at best. I think that's why he's had so many injuries and that's why they say he can't block. He's little for a receiver. That's why I don't have alot of faith he can just take the outside #2. He might end up just being a slot and gadget guy like Hawkins .

Edit , I think they lie about height all the time they say Mayfield is 6ft ,and that's just hard to believe. I like Mayfield but he looks short.actually him and Ross might be the same size about except Ross is skinny.

Mayfield does sort of resemble an animated action-figure out there.  Perhaps I should rename him "The Dwarfmaster"?  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2018, 07:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Mayfield does sort of resemble an animated action-figure out there.  Perhaps I should rename him "The Dwarfmaster"?  Ninja

Yep

Kind of reminds me of Johnny Manziel too

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
So let em get this straight.

The same guys that complain about Marvin never holding anyoen accountable are trashing Marvin for holding Ross acoubntable?

Where did you guys get all of this inside information about how ready Ross was to play?

Or are you just making stuff up out of thin air?

Can't believe some of you fell for Ross posting some of his own videos from practice to prove that he is ready to see the field. Don't even know what the drill was or if the DBs were going 100%. Funny that the only person posting vids like that is Ross himself. Not exactly the best source for determining if Ross was putting in the work necessary.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2018, 09:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So let em get this straight.

The same guys that complain about Marvin never holding anyoen accountable are trashing Marvin for holding Ross acoubntable?

Where did you guys get all of this inside information about how ready Ross was to play?

Can't believe some of you fell for Ross posting some of his own videos from practice to prove that he is ready to see the field.  Don't even know what the drill was or if the DBs were going 100%.  Funny that the only person posting vids like that is Ross himself.  Not exactly the best source for determining if Ross was putting in the work necessary.

Totally agree.  To me it sounds like Ross didn't put in the work and Marvin made him pay for it.  That's the way it works for most of us in the real world.  I'll take slow and smart over fast and stupid any day.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2018, 09:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So let em get this straight.

Can't believe some of you fell for Ross posting some of his own videos from practice to prove that he is ready to see the field.  Don't even know what the drill was or if the DBs were going 100%.  Funny that the only person posting vids like that is Ross himself.  Not exactly the best source for determining if Ross was putting in the work necessary.

Well, if it comes down to credibility, I would say the guy who has not shown complete incompetence over the last two years wins.... which would be ross.

What's our average points scored in the second half this year?? Marvin sure does know his offense.. good thing he put together the greatest oline with the greatest oline coach ever. It's been so awesome watching them this past couple of years!
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2018, 02:00 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Totally agree.  To me it sounds like Ross didn't put in the work and Marvin made him pay for it.  That's the way it works for most of us in the real world.  I'll take slow and smart over fast and stupid any day.

So 15 years without a playoff win is not slow enough for you?

And by your logic shouldn't Marvin be held accountable too?
Reply/Quote