Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Do you think Ross gets a 2nd life?
(01-26-2018, 12:41 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Pulling for Ross in big way even though was upset when he was drafted.

Same.

Nothing against Ross. I think he is a great prospect and could really help our offense, but at the time I felt we had bigger needs.
Reply/Quote
No. The Bengals are going to give up on him and he wont ever play another down for us again. Hes a former first round pick in the second year of his career. No way they give him a second life. Mellow
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 10:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Same.

Nothing against Ross. I think he is a great prospect and could really help our offense, but at the time I felt we had bigger needs.

I remember people saying Ross was supposed to fix our O Line because of his speed. Andy was going to be able to get the ball out quicker to him which would eliminate the defensive lines pressure.  Hilarious
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 10:14 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I remember people saying Ross was supposed to fix our O Line because of his speed. Andy was going to be able to get the ball out quicker to him which would eliminate the defensive lines pressure.  Hilarious

I remember that too. However, the idea was not that far fetched. I could actually see Ross removing some of the pressure on AJ. Just didn’t work out as planned. He’s a talented kid no doubt, so this year may bring the upside we were hoping for last.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 10:14 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I remember people saying Ross was supposed to fix our O Line because of his speed. Andy was going to be able to get the ball out quicker to him which would eliminate the defensive lines pressure.  Hilarious

Fast receivers are good, the "fastest receiver in the NFL" are never good. (those belong in track & field).
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 10:23 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I remember that too. However, the idea was not that far fetched. I could actually see Ross removing some of the pressure on AJ. Just didn’t work out as planned. He’s a talented kid no doubt, so this year may bring the upside we were hoping for last.

We always seem to have some fast guy who could "totally take the top off the defense and open up AJ" who doesn't end up doing much, but this year it hurts because the guy was a top 10 pick.  Welp, on to next year.
Reply/Quote
Sure are a lot of people judging a career after one season. I have a feeling many opinions will have to be adjusted in 2018.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 10:12 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: No. The Bengals are going to give up on him and he wont ever play another down for us again. Hes a former first round pick in the second year of his career. No way they give him a second life.  Mellow

It's not like the Bengals have a history of giving guys multiple chances to succeed or anything. Certainly not under Mike Brown. Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 01:17 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Fast receivers are good, the "fastest receiver in the NFL" are never good. (those belong in track & field).

Bob Hayes is in the Hall of Fame.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 01:17 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Fast receivers are good, the "fastest receiver in the NFL" are never good. (those belong in track & field).

Not even close to being true. Ross is and always has been a football player not a track guy... There is way more to him than straight line speed
Reply/Quote
What gives me hope that Ross will work out is the fact that Core showed promise the year before and had a bad year same with Boyd and Lafell. Everyone had an off year at WR AJ didn't even have a great year if you consider how talented he is.
Reply/Quote

At first I mocked this post with a comment about Bob Hayes being in the Hall of Fame.  But upon review of recent history it appears Bengalitis is on to something.

Over the last 18 years ('00-'17) there have been a total of 10 WRs who ran the forty in 4.30 or faster at the combine. 

Five of the ten never had a single season with 500 receiving yards, and 2 more only had a single season.  Only 1 of them (Donte Stallworth) had more than 2 seasons with at least 500 receiving yards. 

In 45 combined NFL seasons they only produced 11 seasons with 500+ yards.

Not a single one of them ever had a 1000 season. 

The 10 WRs only produced 3 seasons with as many as 900 receiving yards (Stallworth '05, Darrius Heyward Bay '11, Marquise Goodwin '17).

8 of the 10 were listed at less than 6 feet tall, and the two that were at least 6 feet tall (Stallworth, Heyward Bay) accounted for two of the three 900 yd seasons and seven of the eleven 500+ yard seasons.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 06:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: At first I mocked this post with a comment about Bob Hayes being in the Hall of Fame.  But upon review of recent history it appears Bengalitis is on to something.

Over the last 18 years ('00-'17) there have been a total of 10 WRs who ran the forty in 4.30 or faster at the combine. 

Five of the ten never had a single season with 500 receiving yards, and 2 more only had a single season.  Only 1 of them (Donte Stallworth) had more than 2 seasons with at least 500 receiving yards. 

In 45 combined NFL seasons they only produced 11 seasons with 500+ yards.

Not a single one of them ever had a 1000 season. 

The 10 WRs only produced 3 seasons with as many as 900 receiving yards (Stallworth '05, Darrius Heyward Bay '11, Marquise Goodwin '17).

8 of the 10 were listed at less than 6 feet tall, and the two that were at least 6 feet tall (Stallworth, Heyward Bay) accounted for two of the three 900 yd seasons and seven of the eleven 500+ yard seasons.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 01:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Sure are a lot of people judging a career after one season. I have a feeling many opinions will have to be adjusted in 2018.

Maybe we could make a poll, but I feel like the most common view is that Ross is good but Marvin refuses to play him.  That might not change in 2018.
Reply/Quote

If you use a speedy receiver like Ross right it can definately help. The problem is the coaching once again and Zampese
was terrible at using his players to their strengths and Lazor inherited the dudes shitty playbook that doesn't use the players
to their strengths.

Hindsight is 20/20 but at the time there was not an O-lineman at 9 that was worthy of the pick. We would of had to trade
down and grab one.

A receiver like Ross can be used on short slants and quick screens and it takes pressure off the O-line.

Football 101
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 08:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe we could make a poll, but I feel like the most common view is that Ross is good but Marvin refuses to play him.  That might not change in 2018.

Marvin doesn't play rookies unless he has to. He's not big on playing sophomores either. I also don't think he likes to play guys who are injured (as much as I fault Marvin for being inept, I think he does care about the players and their ability to be healthy and have long careers, which is a virtue). Which is why I really didn't like the Ross pick. If Marvin is hesitant to play him injured, it could be we don't see a ton of Ross.
Reply/Quote
Ross deserves some time to prove himself. In the meantime, there's nothing wrong with wondering, "is this as good as it's going to get?," especially if there's little improvement or injuries persist.
Reply/Quote
John Ross was a wasted first round draft pick..often injured receiver too frail to play in the NFL..bengals needed llinemen
Reply/Quote
He may get a second life, but I doubt he ever lives up to his high draft number. I think there must be a problem with him from a mental aspect. I doubt that it's simply messing up on a route. He probably just doesn't know the playbook well and it's translating into his work on the field.
I know folks here like to give Marvin a hard time because he doesn't automatically start rookies, but almost all the drafted rookies played this year. I'm not saying he's dumb but, maybe he is a bit limited after hearing what the coaches have said. I don't remember hearing any comments about great work ethic.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 01:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Sure are a lot of people judging a career after one season. I have a feeling many opinions will have to be adjusted in 2018.

Marvin is the one who needs his opinion adjusted for Ross to flourish. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote