Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Does 10-7 Get Us In?
(12-05-2023, 05:04 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Yes, 10-7 gets us in, and I think it'll be the 5th seed.

The Steelers will finish 8-9 and the Browns 9-8, and the Bills will go 2-3 to finish out the year. Buffalo does have the toughest road of all.

I see it finishing up like this:

1)Miami 13-4
2)KC 13-4
3)Baltimore 12-5
4)Houston 10-7
5)Cincinnati 10-7
6)Jacksonville 10-7
7) Indy Colts 10-7

1st I serious don;t the Browns not finishing with 10 wins.. They have these three teams at home : Jags (probably Lawrence out this weekend) then they have bears and jets at home.. Just dont see that... Im not sure how well we will do with tiebreakers with ties with multiple teams
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 02:59 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: 5 Games left
4 games could be our backup QB vs a backup QB

Week 14 Colts Minshew
Week 15 Vikings Dobbs
Week 16 Steelers Trubisky
Week 17 Chiefs Kermit (the frog)
Week 18 Browns Flacco

Wow, we might be able to sneak in there.

Honestly, when you look at the teams in the running, it quite possibly could.  So many injuries at QB and Houston just lost Tank Dell.

One thing that will be tough:  It may not seem like much, but the Bengals have to play the Colts on a short week, and then the Vikings on a short week as well.  Back to back short weeks.  If they make it through that, it will be nice to get an extra recovery day before Jazz Bath State Farm.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 06:48 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Honestly, when you look at the teams in the running, it quite possibly could.  So many injuries at QB and Houston just lost Tank Dell.

One thing that will be tough:  It may not seem like much, but the Bengals have to play the Colts on a short week, and then the Vikings on a short week as well.  Back to back short weeks.  If they make it through that, it will be nice to get an extra recovery day before Jazz Bath State Farm.

Jazz Bath State Farm lol

BTW SHRacer, when is the Vikings game being played to make it a short week?
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 06:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Jazz Bath State Farm lol

BTW SHRacer, when is the Vikings game being played to make it a short week?

Saturday.  I have tickets :)
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 07:01 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Saturday.  I have tickets :)

Ahh, thanks bro. Hope you have a blast and we are on our way to a 3 game winning streak at the time.

I was fine with us losing out before last night, but if Browning keeps playing like he did last night, our running game keeps clicking
with Chase Brown and our young players improve as the season goes on we can make the Playoffs and maybe even win, we will see.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 07:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Ahh, thanks bro. Hope you have a blast and we are on our way to a 3 game winning streak at the time.

I was fine with us losing out before last night, but if Browning keeps playing like he did last night, our running game keeps clicking
with Chase Brown and our young players improve as the season goes on we can make the Playoffs and maybe even win, we will see.

That would be huge for the confidence of our younger players to make the playoffs and win one or two games.  If it wasn't for the gimmicky play calls that blew up in our face and going for it on 4th down at the start of the game, our defense would do a decent job on the night.   You just can't keep putting them on a short field and behind the eight ball expecting them to perform miracles.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:53 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: That would be huge for the confidence of our younger players to make the playoffs and win one or two games.  If it wasn't for the gimmicky play calls that blew up in our face and going for it on 4th down at the start of the game, our defense would do a decent job on the night.   You just can't keep putting them on a short field and behind the eight ball expecting them to perform miracles.

Yeah, that keeps getting forgotten when discussing the Defense. Those are turnovers and they usually end up losing you the game.

Our Defense played better than some give them credit for considering those turnovers.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 06:25 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: 1st I serious don;t the Browns not finishing with 10 wins.. They have these three teams at home : Jags (probably Lawrence out this weekend) then they have bears and jets at home.. Just dont see that... Im not sure how well we will do with tiebreakers with ties with multiple teams

Yeah, with Lawrence out for at least 3-4 weeks the Jags may have a tough time up at the mistake on the lake. The Browns had a bad loss to the Rams and they're down to their 3rd string QB, so anything is possible with them.  The Browns will most likely go 10-7 with losses to Houston and us.  That makes week 18 even more interesting.

As far as possible tiebreakers they look at head-to-head matchups first.  So assuming we beat the Colts, and assuming the Bills, Colts, and Jags are all 10-7 at the end, we win the tiebreaker.  Against Cleveland, we most likely would go 1-1 with them but they've beaten the Steelers and Ravens so they'll have more conference wins thus winning the tiebreaker.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 02:06 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote:

is Jay Morrison reading this forum
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 09:00 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: is Jay Morrison reading this forum

I had 2 reasons for posting that. One was it was pertinent to this discussion and the other I thought the same. Lots of the media have been critical of the angst of the fan base.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 04:32 PM)Nepa Wrote:
If not the departure of the safeties, then what do you attribute is the cause of the demise of the defense?
Almost the entire defense returned, including the entire defensive linemen and linebackers, and even most backups. And Lou returned. 

I guess I finger the one major change, the loss of Bates and Bell, as the major factor for the defense's poor performance this year (and those two are having terrific seasons this year, and in particular Bates). But whatever it is, I hope Lou figures it out soon. Right now, they are 32nd in yards allowed per game (and 26th in running yards allowed and 21st in points allowed per game). A long ways from a top-10 defense. Even when Beathard came in he went 9/10 and an honest referee (who threw the flag on holding) away from throwing a bomb to inside the 5-yard line in overtime.

Bates and Bell were tough losses, but look at our defensive backfield as a whole. 

Awuzie- vet, but not 100%
Jaylen Davis-vet
Mike Hilton- vet
Nick Scott-vet
Cam Taylor Britt-2nd year
Dax Hill-2nd year
Tycen Anderson- second year/IR

Jordan Battle-rookie
DJ Turner-rookie
DJ Ivey-rookie

So we have 2 or 3 vets who play, a couple of second year players and 3 rookies getting extended playing time. Give this group a little bit of time, they are going to be very very good.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 07:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Ahh, thanks bro. Hope you have a blast and we are on our way to a 3 game winning streak at the time.

Yeah, it feels a little bit like when Blake came in and took the Bengals on a run in the 90s.  Expectations were pretty low after the Burrow injury, but I love what I saw Monday Night.  
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 06:01 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, it feels a little bit like when Blake came in and took the Bengals on a run in the 90s.  Expectations were pretty low after the Burrow injury, but I love what I saw Monday Night.  

Yes, we will see if Browning can back that up with another great game or not. This Colts game will be telling but this win all of a
sudden made this season interesting again.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 06:48 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Honestly, when you look at the teams in the running, it quite possibly could.  So many injuries at QB and Houston just lost Tank Dell.

Jazz Bath State Farm. Hah! And don't forget MaAuto and Tay.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 11:05 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Yeah, with Lawrence out for at least 3-4 weeks the Jags may have a tough time up at the mistake on the lake. The Browns had a bad loss to the Rams and they're down to their 3rd string QB, so anything is possible with them.  The Browns will most likely go 10-7 with losses to Houston and us.  That makes week 18 even more interesting.

As far as possible tiebreakers they look at head-to-head matchups first.  So assuming we beat the Colts, and assuming the Bills, Colts, and Jags are all 10-7 at the end, we win the tiebreaker.  Against Cleveland, we most likely would go 1-1 with them but they've beaten the Steelers and Ravens so they'll have more conference wins thus winning the tiebreaker.

I don't know that Lawrence will be out all that long. He thinks he might even be able to play Sunday:

"Lawrence said Wednesday that his right ankle feels much better than he anticipated it would two days after suffering a high ankle sprain when left tackle Walter Little stepped on his foot and then having it get caught underneath him when he fell.

He's happy with the way his rehab has gone so far and is hopeful that continues, and he can get cleared to play at the Browns on Sunday."

I guess it looked a lot worse on Monday Night than it really was.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39057236/qb-trevor-lawrence-jaguars-had-cart-available-refused-it
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 07:20 PM)Nepa Wrote: I don't know that Lawrence will be out all that long. He thinks he might even be able to play Sunday:

"Lawrence said Wednesday that his right ankle feels much better than he anticipated it would two days after suffering a high ankle sprain when left tackle Walter Little stepped on his foot and then having it get caught underneath him when he fell.

He's happy with the way his rehab has gone so far and is hopeful that continues, and he can get cleared to play at the Browns on Sunday."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39057236/qb-trevor-lawrence-jaguars-had-cart-available-refused-it

That is great news for the Jags. It did look bad. 
Reply/Quote
I actually hope the Jags win out simply so KC is not the #1 seed......again.
Reply/Quote
Vegas predicted 11 wins. Can you imagine 10-7 with Joe missing 6 games and 3 games not nearly 100%? Hell of a job. Hope it happens.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 07:20 PM)Nepa Wrote: I don't know that Lawrence will be out all that long. He thinks he might even be able to play Sunday:

Being young, in great shape and having good genetics can make for some amazing recovery times compared to average people.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 09:59 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I actually hope the Jags win out simply so KC is not the #1 seed......again.

Same, screw the Chiefs.
Reply/Quote