Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Does Burrow need to hit another level?
(11-13-2023, 11:02 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: The coaches putting Burrow in that situation is what caused the INTs. If we called better plays and not just 2 yard passes a big part of the game then Burrow wouldn't need to throw the ball in such tight windows. Yeah Burrow threw the INTs, but the coaches 100% put him in a terrible situation where he has to make more risky splash plays

What? 

Tanner Hudon was open on the one for a huge chunk play - Burrow as just a bit high with it. 

The other one was just inexcusable by Burrow. First and goal (or whatever it was) and he totally forced it in there between like 3 guys. No reason why he shouldnt have just thrown it away. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 11:02 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: The coaches putting Burrow in that situation is what caused the INTs. If we called better plays and not just 2 yard passes a big part of the game then Burrow wouldn't need to throw the ball in such tight windows. Yeah Burrow threw the INTs, but the coaches 100% put him in a terrible situation where he has to make more risky splash plays

His interceptions were on 1st downs. One he just threw high, and another he threw into double coverage. You can blame the coaches for a lot, but not for the interceptions.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 11:05 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Forgive me. Plus side of the 50. Still high and unnecessary on 1st down.

Throw was definitely high, but Sample shouldn’t even be going out on a route that deep anyway. He just doesn’t have the athleticism for it. One flukey TD in 5 years doesn’t change that.

Use Hudson if you want to push the ball down the field to a TE.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote

Tight window in the end zone? He flat out missed the defender underneath and had Mixon in the flat. The other one was simply too high. Dalton got crucified for those throws. He had some absolute dimes too. It's the NFL, you're going to be throwing into tight windows unless you're playing our defense, apparently. The INTs weren't necessarily the problem, it was more about where and when they happened. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 10:58 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: He's played at an MVP level the past 3 games he's been 100% healthy. 

He was second in yards per game last year. Second in TDs. Second in completion %. Took us to the AFC Championship game. 

I mean what more do you want? You're overreacting to a small sample size. Just stop. 

You think he played like an MVP against Seattle? Really? We went 3 quarters and scored 3 points, and the only reason we won was because the defense shut Seattle down. 49ers yes, he played well, but against Buffalo we scored 3 points in the second half. I’m not so sure MVP play would support that. You’re overvaluing good playing and undervaluing poor play.

Isn’t the idea to be better in your 4th year than your 3rd? Oh idk maybe win a game where your defense doesn’t have to be perfect? I’m mean I know it seems like we are asking a lot.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 11:09 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Throw was definitely high, but Sample shouldn’t even be going out on a route that deep anyway. He just doesn’t have the athleticism for it. One flukey TD in 5 years doesn’t change that.

Agree on that. He's probably there to clear out the defense for another target, but he's not the guy to be running that route. Joe just probably saw him for a big gainer and said WTH, lol. 

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 11:09 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Throw was definitely high, but Sample shouldn’t even be going out on a route that deep anyway. He just doesn’t have the athleticism for it. One flukey TD in 5 years doesn’t change that.

I do not disagree with that.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 11:10 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Tight window in the end zone? He flat out missed the defender underneath and had Mixon in the flat. The other one was simply too high. Dalton got crucified for those throws. He had some absolute dimes too. It's the NFL, you're going to be throwing into tight windows unless you're playing our defense, apparently. The INTs weren't necessarily the problem, it was more about where and when they happened. 

Let it go man. LOL

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 11:13 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Let it go man. LOL

Can't help myself when it comes to hypocrisy. Tongue

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 11:10 AM)Wyche Wrote: Tight window in the end zone? He flat out missed the defender underneath and had Mixon in the flat. The other one was simply too high. Dalton got crucified for those throws. He had some absolute dimes too. It's the NFL, you're going to be throwing into tight windows unless you're playing our defense, apparently. The INTs weren't necessarily the problem, it was more about where and when they happened. 

The pick in the end zone was just a horrible decision and Burrow would be the first to tell you that. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 11:15 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The pick in the end zone was just a horrible decision and Burrow would be the first to tell you that. 

Exactly, and it happens to the best of them. I hope pissed off Joe Burrow in SF shows up in Baltimore. LOL

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 11:15 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Exactly, and it happens to the best of them. I hope pissed off Joe Burrow in SF shows up in Baltimore. LOL

I sure hope so. I want to see the end of the game Burrow (minus the interceptions). Enough of these short throws, behind the LOS. Maybe it’s coaching, maybe it’s him being conservative. Whatever it is, it’s got to stop. Challenge down the field. Make the defense work to stop the O.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 11:15 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The pick in the end zone was just a horrible decision and Burrow would be the first to tell you that. 

That one was just so unlike him. Every once in a while he just flat out misses a throw (like the one to Sample), but Burrow rarely makes mental mistakes or misreads coverages. Trying to force it to Boyd with 3 defenders around him was just not something you see him do.

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 11:13 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I do not disagree with that.

I would have  had Andre Iosivias run that route Sample
Ran. He has a larger catch radius and can elevate 
Off the ground. Drew Sample needs perfect passes 
Thrown his way for him to come down with it 
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 11:26 AM)impactplaya Wrote: I would have  had Andre Iosivias run that route Sample

Definitely would've been a better option.

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 11:26 AM)impactplaya Wrote: I would have  had Andre Iosivias run that route Sample

Yep or Even Hudson would have caught it. I believe he’s bigger and way more athletic to where he could have jumped up and caught it.
Reply/Quote
No, his WRs need to get open and his o-line needs to not get beaten 1/4 of a second after the snap
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 10:35 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: That’s what I saw too. Dump offs, swing passes to a back that can’t make anyone miss. They just aren’t working when you don’t threaten down field.

That's the big issue for me. Our RBs are not playmakers. This strategy works if you have De'Von Achane at RB, but we don't.

(11-13-2023, 10:41 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They don't take a lot of risk, especially when the game is close. I think Burrow's number one concern is limiting risk and not turning the ball over. In doing so, he tends to play on the safer side and not take as many chances down the field. 

I used to rip the coaching staff because the offense would go into lulls at time, but I honestly think thats more on Burrow than the staff.

You saw it yesterday. When the game was close, the offense went into a lull for almost 3 quarters. Then Burrow was FORCED to start throwing the ball down field and they got it moving again.

Maybe that's by design and that's the recipe they are comfortable with...idk why you wouldnt just play with urgency on every drive and try to score, though.

I agree, I think it's a Joe Burrow issue more so than a coaching issue. Some downs, it does seem like he checks his first read and, if it isn't there, he decides to check it down even before significant pressure is on him.

Maybe he knows that if the first read isn't open, then the second read likely isn't either and checking it down early is better to give his RB more time to get a few yards, I don't know, but I don't think the plays are necessarily designed that way.
Reply/Quote
He needs a clean pocket.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 11:06 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What? 

Tanner Hudon was open on the one for a huge chunk play - Burrow as just a bit high with it. 

The other one was just inexcusable by Burrow. First and goal (or whatever it was) and he totally forced it in there between like 3 guys. No reason why he shouldnt have just thrown it away. 

There were 2 defenders underneath too, so he had to throw it somewhat high. That was an insanely tight window that he had to throw
Reply/Quote