Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Does Burrow need to hit another level?
(11-13-2023, 11:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Let this sink in:

Hard to sell play action when you throw 40 times and run 10 times. I look at Goodberry like he's any other guy on these message boards. He studies the game, but we have guys on here who do that. He also has his biases just like most do.

I will say it seems like we need to shake things up on offense a bit. I wonder if Zac and Brian's ego's are too large for that, though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 11:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
I do think Mixon is a big part of the problem. There are just far too many plays like this one.

Fair. We could do better than Mixon at this point.

I'm just saying that when you push that Madden coaching slider up to max passing, that puts all the pressure on the QB to perform.

I would've already moved on from Mixon if I ran the team, though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Man, Josh Allen is a straight up turnover machine.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I do think Mixon is a big part of the problem. There are just far too many plays like this one.

I remember watching that play live and being in shock.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 08:34 PM)Nepa Wrote: Apparently that odd QB draw on 2 and 14 before the Boyd drop was on Burrow:

"On second down from the 14 before the final Boyd play, Burrow checked to a quarterback draw and got a yard."

That was just an odd play to call. Did Burrow think he was going to get 14 yards on a QB draw down near the goal line? Way too many defenders down there.

https://www.bengals.com/news/quick-hits-bengals-wonder-what-might-have-been-gutty-ja-marr-taylor-britt-pops-a

The QB draw was actually the correct call.  The oline just sucks.  I didnt like it watching live but going back he was correct, the Texans were in Deep 2 with man cover, not one defender in the 2nd or 3rd levels were watching Burrow.  Karras had already released and looking for someone to block, the other olinemen were beat on their 1 on 1s.  It would have been a huge gain.

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 12.25.57 AM

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 12:20 AM)casear2727 Wrote: The QB draw was actually the correct call.  The oline just sucks.  I didnt like it watching live but going back he was correct, the Texans were in Deep 2 with man cover, not one defender in the 2nd or 3rd levels were watching Burrow.  Karras had already released and looking for someone to block, the other olinemen were beat on their 1 on 1s.  It would have been a huge gain.

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 12.25.57 AM
Shouldn’t the playcaller know the strengths and weaknesses of the personnel? 
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 12:27 AM)125250 Wrote: Shouldn’t the playcaller know the strengths and weaknesses of the personnel? 

What kind of question is that? 

Our oline doesnt block good and Joe should know better?  Seriously?   It's a draw, doesnt require a lot.

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 10:17 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Are we having this discussion if TB catches the ball? Of course one play doesn’t win or lose a game. We’ve seen it on other teams. We were minus both top receivers. Chase played but he wasn’t 100%. We tried to utilize our #3 receiver TB but he didn’t make up for it.

The OL does good enough in pass pro but not great. It’s awful in the run game. This team is one dimensional. To answer your question Burrow can’t take it to the next level w/o help.

Remember,Burrow threw an interception in the end zone.Should have scored on that drive.It’s not all on Boyd.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 12:57 AM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Remember,Burrow threw an interception in the end zone.Should have scored on that drive.It’s not all on Boyd.

Not blaming Boyd but he’s got to make that catch. I’m not going to fault a QB who has less INT than Mahomes or Hurts with much better OL’s. The OP that Joe needs to take it to another level. I say with this crap run game it’s hard to get to that level.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
If anyone needs to hit another level, it's Zac Taylor.

When you don't seem to give a shit about running the ball or stopping the run, you end up getting beat by the teams like the Texans. Offense was completely dead for half the game.
They should've beat those guys down at home, plain and simple.

Imagine how many games this team would win with an Andy Reid?

Oh, we love Burrow. He's awesome and those 2 picks must have been someone else's fault. ?
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 12:51 AM)casear2727 Wrote: What kind of question is that? 

Our oline doesnt block good and Joe should know better?  Seriously?   It's a draw, doesnt require a lot.

No, the playcaller should see what everyone else does, which is a terrible offensive line that collapses easily. The chances of that play working well were not good. 
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 10:24 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Idk. I think I’m still having the same thoughts. Burrows 2 picks were worse than Boyd’s 2 drops. Chase had 124 yards, his injury can’t be an excuse this game.

Lou gave up 550 yards as he typically does this year.
I’m thinking no offense beats dat.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 02:23 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: If anyone needs to hit another level, it's Zac Taylor.

When you don't seem to give a shit about running the ball or stopping the run, you end up getting beat by the teams like the Texans. Offense was completely dead for half the game.
They should've beat those guys down at home, plain and simple.

Imagine how many games this team would win with an Andy Reid?

Oh, we love Burrow. He's awesome and those 2 picks must have been someone else's fault. ?

LMAO Taylor is 3-1 vs Andy Reid. The last 3 games we are averaging 27 points and KC 20. KC did not score a TD vs Denver. Find someone else
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 11:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Hard to sell play action when you throw 40 times and run 10 times. I look at Goodberry like he's any other guy on these message boards. He studies the game, but we have guys on here who do that. He also has his biases just like most do.

I will say it seems like we need to shake things up on offense a bit. I wonder if Zac and Brian's ego's are too large for that, though.

Yeah, Goodberry is JAG. I like JT, Baldinger and a couple others' breakdowns. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 12:27 AM)125250 Wrote: Shouldn’t the playcaller know the strengths and weaknesses of the personnel? 

Uh ....the QB checked into the play. It was already covered above. You still got the same tune?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 11:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Hard to sell play action when you throw 40 times and run 10 times. I look at Goodberry like he's any other guy on these message boards. He studies the game, but we have guys on here who do that. He also has his biases just like most do.

(11-14-2023, 10:05 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, Goodberry is JAG. I like JT, Baldinger and a couple others' breakdowns. 

I don't know where he's going with the play action stuff because I don't know the whole conversation but most of the play action motion for the Bengals is their RPO stuff.

Goodberry isn't wrong about the offense lacking speed. I mentioned in the Burrow gets hit alot thread I wasn't thrilled with the construction of the offense line because it did lack speed and athleticism.  I also mentioned this off-season I wanted them to add skill players that offered more yards after catch because outside of Chase everyone else on the roster was below average. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 10:04 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: LMAO Taylor is 3-1 vs Andy Reid. The last 3 games we are averaging 27 points and KC 20. KC did not score a TD vs Denver. Find someone else

You can cherry pick stats all day long.  The reality is that the Chiefs have the 8th ranked offense this year and the Bengals are 24th.  The Chiefs are also the #1 seed in the AFC.  Houston just passed us for the 7th and last spot.  

Years gone by don't really matter.  You are what your record says you are.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 10:33 AM)Synric Wrote: I don't know where he's going with the play action stuff because I don't know the whole conversation but most of the play action motion for the Bengals is their RPO stuff.

Goodberry isn't wrong about the offense lacking speed. I mentioned in the Burrow gets hit alot thread I wasn't thrilled with the construction of the offense line because it did lack speed and athleticism.  I also mentioned this off-season I wanted them to add skill players that offered more yards after catch because outside of Chase everyone else on the roster was below average. 

But...but...glass eaters...did you know Jerry Rice only ran 4.71?
Reply/Quote

*Is salty about taking RB's high in the mock draft forum and being told we can get a guy like Chase Brown on Day 3.*
Reply/Quote
The linemen are fine for what they are, and that is power blockers. We need to tailor our scheme to fit their strengths (you know, like other successful teams do). They should be firing off blocks into the defense and driving forward not falling back or moving laterally. We went and got a bunch of big power linemen - play power.
Reply/Quote