Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Does Burrow need to hit another level?
(11-13-2023, 01:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They showed the graphic yesterday during the game, I believe he has 7 in the 4th quarter and OT.

Oh, and yesterday ofc… Gaah

[Image: F-0o2d8WQAAhtJ5?format=jpg&name=medium]

This hurts just looking at it.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 01:31 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: Those interceptions are a moot point, we should've had a 4 point lead but Boyd dropped an easy one.

No they aren’t. We likely don’t need a miracle comeback that was only sparked by a last minute interception any by CTB if Burrow doesn’t throw those picks.
Reply/Quote
Burrow has too improve in 2nd halves rest of year for us to finish games. He has 8 tds and zero ints in 1st half but second halve 6 tds and 6 ints, really needs to change those td to int ratio in 2nd half
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
How can he hit another level with an offensive line year after year breaking down throughout the game?
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 10:42 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: He’s had 6 bad games this year. Injury or not, he’s not lived up anywhere close to his billing.

There has been nothing in my post about perfection. I want a QB we win because of, not with, and right now we are winning with. In all of our wins we held the opposing team to 16, 13, 17, and 18. Those wins are not BECAUSE of Burrow. We have yet to win a game where the opposing team scores more than 18 points. That’s a problem, not asking for perfection.

I said this before the season began and I will say it again, Burrow simply disappears at times and the defense usually bails him out.  Last year in the playoffs we needed a defensive TD to beat Baltimore because the Burrow led offense disappeared.  If not for the defense bailing Burrow out, we lose in the wildcard playoff game.  In the AFC Championship game the offense scored just 20 points.  You cant beat K.C. scoring just 20 points.  The defense gave us a chance. Burrow and the offense squandered it especially in the 4th where our last two possessions were an interception and a punt.

Burrow cant count on the defense to bail him out anymore.  The Bengals organization has decided to let some of our best players on defense walk so they could use that money on giving Burrow a huge contract and big contracts to others on offense to surround Burrow with talent.  Burrow does need to hit another level.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 04:43 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I said this before the season began and I will say it again, Burrow simply disappears at times and the defense usually bails him out.  Last year in the playoffs we needed a defensive TD to beat Baltimore because the Burrow led offense disappeared.  If not for the defense bailing Burrow out, we lose in the wildcard playoff game.  In the AFC Championship game the offense scored just 20 points.  You cant beat K.C. scoring just 20 points.  The defense gave us a chance. Burrow and the offense squandered it especially in the 4th where our last two possessions were an interception and a punt.

Burrow cant count on the defense to bail him out anymore.  The Bengals organization has decided to let some of our best players on defense walk so they could use that money on giving Burrow a huge contract and big contracts to others on offense to surround Burrow with talent.  Burrow does need to hit another level.

Zac Taylor and Brian Callahan appreciate the free pass you continue to give them. Joe

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 04:43 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I said this before the season began and I will say it again, Burrow simply disappears at times and the defense usually bails him out.  Last year in the playoffs we needed a defensive TD to beat Baltimore because the Burrow led offense disappeared.  If not for the defense bailing Burrow out, we lose in the wildcard playoff game.  In the AFC Championship game the offense scored just 20 points.  You cant beat K.C. scoring just 20 points.  The defense gave us a chance. Burrow and the offense squandered it especially in the 4th where our last two possessions were an interception and a punt.

It's not just Burrows fault when we lose no different it is not just his effort only when we win but he is the main man either way for sure and will need to raise his game in 2nd half rest of season.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 04:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Zac Taylor and Brian Callahan appreciate the free pass you continue to give them. Joe

None of them get a free pass. It’s on all of them including the FO. No backup QB worth a crap, TE situation. But like I said earlier Joe has 6 INT and Mahomes 8 and Hurts 8. Both those guys have better lines.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 04:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Zac Taylor and Brian Callahan appreciate the free pass you continue to give them. Joe

I have always said Zac was horrible calling plays so neither get a pass from me.  Zac isnt a great X's and O's coach.  We have gotten by with pure talent alone on offense.  Still, even with Zac calling the plays, there are many times Burrow doesnt make the plays he should.  Burrow cant be out there throwing 2 interceptions in the 4th quarter when we are trying to make a comeback.  Those are huge mistakes.  He has to play better than that.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 05:30 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I have always said Zac was horrible calling plays so neither get a pass from me.  Zac isnt a great X's and O's coach.  We have gotten by with pure talent alone on offense.  Still, even with Zac calling the plays, there are many times Burrow doesnt make the plays he should.  Burrow cant be out there throwing 2 interceptions in the 4th quarter when we are trying to make a comeback.  Those are huge mistakes.  He has to play better than that.

Definitely agree about yesterday and the picks. Can’t have it. I was more talking about your post about the playoffs and the lulls in the offense in general. To me if Burrow and offense looks great at the start of games, and they look great trying to get back into games, but not so much in between that would suggest some problems with the play calling. Specifically being a little too conservative.

When he lets Joe and Ja’Marr cook they usually do.

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 10:42 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: He’s had 6 bad games this year. Injury or not, he’s not lived up anywhere close to his billing.

There has been nothing in my post about perfection. I want a QB we win because of, not with, and right now we are winning with. In all of our wins we held the opposing team to 16, 13, 17, and 18. Those wins are not BECAUSE of Burrow. We have yet to win a game where the opposing team scores more than 18 points. That’s a problem, not asking for perfection.

Couldn't disagree more.  Hell, it's obvious he shouldn't have been on the field the first 4 weeks.

Was yesterday one of his best games?  No, but you can't call 27-40 for 347 a bad game.
Reply/Quote

How many starting Offensive linemen did we have in those 2 games?  My mind may be off, but weren't we missing Cappa and Jonah?  Revolving door at RT?  Boyd out in the first quarter?

I get what you're saying, but he can only do so much - especially against quality defenses with backup o-linemen
Reply/Quote
Our defense rely on turnovers and bend but don't break this year, they will not stop the opponents trying for a FG last second. We have bad O-line and bad TEs, WRs aside from Chase keep dropping balls. Our play calling on the offense is questionable. We have injury bugs hitting us now, so naturally with all things against us, the only one that gives us hope is Burrow. He needs to step up even more than the last seasons, putting the team on his back. Simply playing great or accurate is not enough anymore. This is our reality now. I know this is a lot asking from a QB, even the elite ones. But if he can do that, especially with the next Ravens game where everything is against us, if he can play elite for a whole game, not just the first few minutes and the last few minutes. If he can carry the team and their spirit in this kind of moment, no matter what anyone says, he's the best QB in my eyes.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 06:34 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Couldn't disagree more.  Hell, it's obvious he shouldn't have been on the field the first 4 weeks.

Was yesterday one of his best games?  No, but you can't call 27-40 for 347 a bad game.

You definitely can, but Joe's wasn't one of them. He had a passer rating of 90. That's not great, but it's not bad. An average game from a QB today is right about 90-91. It was an average day statistically and this isn't accounting for some of the passes that he made that were dropped, like Boyd's two. However, if Joe had thrown another pick or two, you're easily talking about a bad game, even with nearly 350 yards. 

I agree, Burrow didn't play great yesterday but he certainly didn't play bad. 
Reply/Quote
Apparently that odd QB draw on 2 and 14 before the Boyd drop was on Burrow:

"On second down from the 14 before the final Boyd play, Burrow checked to a quarterback draw and got a yard."

That was just an odd play to call. Did Burrow think he was going to get 14 yards on a QB draw down near the goal line? Way too many defenders down there.

https://www.bengals.com/news/quick-hits-bengals-wonder-what-might-have-been-gutty-ja-marr-taylor-britt-pops-a
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 01:25 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes, that's correct, seven. 

7 in 4 years including post season? Is that good?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I mean, his deep ball accuracy could be better but that’s it
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Let this sink in:

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 10:55 AM)Goalpost Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/offense/stat/rushing/table/rushing/sort/rushingYardsPerGame/dir/desc

We are last in the entire NFL in rushing.  Sure, Joe has made some bad mistakes, but can a qb be truly elite when nothing else helps him?

Stafford used to post 5000 yard seasons with no run game at all and a mediocre defense. Tbh, our intense focus on throwing the ball is a big reason why we have no run game.

We throw 40 times and hand off to Mixon 10 times. He has no chance to get in any sort of rhythm and also has had to run from shotgun for most of the last 4 years.

I'm just trying to he fair, here.

Because we run the offense this way, Joe has to play at an elite level. The chips are all pushed in on him.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2023, 11:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Stafford used to post 5000 yard seasons with no run game at all and a mediocre defense. Tbh, our intense focus on throwing the ball is a big reason why we have no run game.

We throw 40 times and hand off to Mixon 10 times. He has no chance to get in any sort of rhythm and also has had to run from shotgun for most of the last 4 years.

I'm just trying to he fair, here.

Because we run the offense this way, Joe has to play at an elite level. The chips are all pushed in on him.

I do think Mixon is a big part of the problem. There are just far too many plays like this one.

Reply/Quote