Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does he stay or does he go?
(11-19-2021, 01:11 PM)Whatever Wrote: Playoffs or bust, for me personally.

What if we make the playoffs at 7 or 8 wins and we do NOT win the playoff game? Does that change your mind?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 01:11 PM)Whatever Wrote: Playoffs or bust, for me personally.

I don't think "Playoffs" is a fair gauge, for me it is 9-10 wins. (10 preferably). Theoretically he could win that number of games and miss the playoffs, while an 8 win team gets in.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 01:48 PM)PhilHos Wrote: What if we make the playoffs at 7 or 8 wins and we do NOT win the playoff game? Does that change your mind?

The only time that ever happens is when the division is so terrible that the division winner slips in with an under .500 record. 

With our division already sitting how it is it would be almost impossible for someone to get in with that few wins. Especially with the extra game this year. 
Reply/Quote
Given the level of talent on this team, it's going to take double digit wins for me to feel like Zac should remain in place. If they continue to look unfocused, like they did in the last two losses, his fate should be sealed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 01:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Given the level of talent on this team, it's going to take double digit wins for me to feel like Zac should remain in place. 

This.

We don't have stars at every position, but no team in the league does.  Given how so many teams in the AFC are just "average to good" this year there is no excuse for this Bengal team to win fewer than 10 games.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 10:45 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Spotrac says that Zac signed a 3 year contract meaning the Bengals could simply elect to not resign him and decide to look elsewhere for a head coach.

Now, I know many have wanted Zac fired since he was first hired (and props to Destro for continually calling for his firing even during our 5-2 start this year).

With that in mind, I'm curious as to how many wins it would take for YOU to re-sign Zac at the end of the season and how many wins it would take for the BENGALS to re-sign Zac at the end of the season?

For me, it's 10 wins or more. 9 if we make the playoffs and win a playoff game.

As for the Bengals, I think if Zac wins 8, maybe 7, they'll re-sign him.

What's your thoughts?

My guess is the Bengals end with 7-9 wins and they will go back to the 1 year deal for Zack.. The only way there is even a chance he goes , is if he loses out IMO..
Reply/Quote
It feels like win, lose, or draw he's coming back. Coaching searches are exhausting.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 01:48 PM)PhilHos Wrote: What if we make the playoffs at 7 or 8 wins and we do NOT win the playoff game? Does that change your mind?

this aint the NFCE lol
Reply/Quote
Thumbs Down 
(11-19-2021, 12:26 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Either playoffs or get fired. It's that simple.
He's been given enough time to "change this culture"
If he is fired there is enough talent here to attract
A proven HC who has a proven resume

Agreed. 3 years is a long term rebuild by NFL standards.

Most people were saying this was the year. So hopefully we don't start making excuses and backtracking on that.

(11-19-2021, 02:11 PM)jason Wrote: It feels like win, lose, or draw he's coming back. Coaching searches are exhausting.

Wasting years on a failing HC should be even more exhausting.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 02:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agreed. 3 years is a long term rebuild by NFL standards.

Most people were saying this was the year. So hopefully we don't start making excuses and backtracking on that.

Wasting years on a failing HC should be even more exhausting.

Preaching to the choir my friend...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 02:39 PM)jason Wrote: Preaching to the choir my friend...

I figured you were talking about searches being exhausting to the front office, and thats why he'll be back. I agree. I was just adding to that by saying wasting years and years should be even more exhausting to the FO.

Unfortunately, they've been very backwards with their thinking for the last 30 years for the most part.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
So are we blowing everything up with the next coach and restarting the rebuild clock? And if not what coach would come into a ready made team that the prior staff built? I think we've done to much roster turn over to do it again.

And most HC's will want their own system and players (outside of QB if it's a franchise one).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 10:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: To me it takes 10 wins.  Three years is the limit foe "re-building" in the NFL.  

I think he will be retained if we wins 9 even though that is not very impressive in a 17 game season with all the mediocre teams in the AFC this year.

No Bengal coach has returned after 3 losing seasons since Shula almost 30 years ago.  After all the money the front office has spent on free agents I don't see any way Taylor returns if we don't have a winning season.  

A losing season means a 3-7 finish to the year and fans will be screaming for blood if that happens.

That’s true if you’re talking any other team in the NFL.But,,,,,we’re talking the Bengals and Mike Brown here.(Reality Check)
Reply/Quote
Playoff win.

I will be taking no further questions.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 02:48 PM)jj22 Wrote: So are we blowing everything up with the next coach and restarting the rebuild clock? And if not what coach would come into a ready made team that the prior staff built? I think we've done to much roster turn over to do it again.

And most HC's will want their own system and players (outside of QB if it's a franchise one).

Marvin Lewis didn't blow up the 2003 team. Most of the key offensive pieces were already in place. Chad, TJ, Rudi, the o-line. Even the offensive staff was kept. Coaches don't always need to blow everything up to appease their ego.

There's lots of examples of teams with an established core hiring a new coach that didn't blow things up.

Personally, I'd go hard after Joe Brady if Zac fails, and make sure Brady hires an experienced DC with a GOOD resume. Lou had a very weak resume.
Reply/Quote
We have Burrow, Chase, Mixon, Teeggins, Boyd and more.
A rejuvinated Defense.

No way in heck we can't get good to excellent coaches to come to Cinci. Heck, BB can come back just to get the satisfaction of beating his old employer the browns twice a year. Heard Mike and him get a long well too.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 02:53 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: That’s true if you’re talking any other team in the NFL.But,,,,,we’re talking the Bengals and Mike Brown here.(Reality Check)

Here is your reality check.

The Bengals NEVER spent anywhere close to as much money as they have on free agents over the last two off seasons. That changes everything as far as expectations on the head coach.  Browns are going to demand some return on their investment if they are going to shell out that type pf money. 
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 02:48 PM)jj22 Wrote: And most HC's will want their own system and players (outside of QB if it's a franchise one).

Not really.  We have a lot of talent on this roster.  We just hire  coach who fits the talent we already have.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 10:45 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Spotrac says that Zac signed a 3 year contract meaning the Bengals could simply elect to not resign him and decide to look elsewhere for a head coach.

Now, I know many have wanted Zac fired since he was first hired (and props to Destro for continually calling for his firing even during our 5-2 start this year).

With that in mind, I'm curious as to how many wins it would take for YOU to re-sign Zac at the end of the season and how many wins it would take for the BENGALS to re-sign Zac at the end of the season?

For me, it's 10 wins or more. 9 if we make the playoffs and win a playoff game.

As for the Bengals, I think if Zac wins 8, maybe 7, they'll re-sign him.

What's your thoughts?

I think barring some monumental collapse where they finish with 7 wins and look bad (flat) down the stretch, Zac gets extended.  This is really his first full year with somewhat of a full cupboard.  

I think he may have to relinquish play-calling duties, and a coordinator like Lou might buy it, but if I had to bet I see them all coming back.  

I actually like the coaches.  I hope it works out with them and they can make good adjustments and get that energy back that they had the first 7 weeks.  
Reply/Quote
I'm team "Fire Zac Taylor." That said, he's not going anywhere.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote