Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does he stay or does he go?
The next two games will be huge for Taylor and the team.
They'll go against two playoff contenders, of which both being a win would be huge.

8-4 with tiebreakers over the Chargers and Steelers would be huge (although with the Steelers having a tie, the tiebreaker likely won't matter).

If they drop both of these games, the likelihood of playoffs drops pretty drastically.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If we can beat Pitt, I’m pretty sure they will be out of the playoff hunt. They still have 2 against the Ravens .
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 11:24 AM)bfine32 Wrote: We're winning and the players seem to love him.

As I've said before, I think he has the makings of being a good, if not great, HC. If only, he'd get out of his own way and allow someone competent to call offensive plays.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 12:41 PM)PhilHos Wrote: As I've said before, I think he has the makings of being a good, if not great, HC. If only, he'd get out of his own way and allow someone competent to call offensive plays.

I feel like this narrative isn’t relevant anymore. The play calling is fine. In fact, plays like the fake flea flicker yesterday was awesome. He’s leaning on the run game more and the scheme seems sound. The offensive play calling hasn’t been a problem this year…..
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 01:18 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I feel like this narrative isn’t relevant anymore. The play calling is fine. In fact, plays like the fake flea flicker yesterday was awesome. He’s leaning on the run game more and the scheme seems sound. The offensive play calling hasn’t been a problem this year…..

It has definitely been better, but, IMO, it's still not that good. We should not be relying on the defense keeping the game close until the 2nd half when the offense finally shows up. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
The Brown family would rather keep someone mediocre for 15 yrs than have to go through the rigorous WORK to be done of hiring a whole set of coaches, etc. That's a lot of work, negotiating, sleepless nights, second guessings, etc. So seeing how his W is going up every season, the Brown family will keep him.

As far as I am concerned, he should be replaced. It's the player talent that's getting him the wins, not his schemes. I haven't seen anything that a coach can do to get the most out of this offense in particular, which is supposed to be his bread and butter.
Reply/Quote
They get to 8-9 minimum and it’s a guarantee that Zac stays. Maybe even 7 wins will get the nod.

Brown doesn’t like change folks. It might happen if tge damn browns sweep him again though.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 01:21 PM)PhilHos Wrote: It has definitely been better, but, IMO, it's still not that good. We should not be relying on the defense keeping the game close until the 2nd half when the offense finally shows up. 

Agree

I'm still not in love with ZT's game planning, scheme, and play calling. Has he improved ? I'd say yes Is he even at the good level ? I'm not so sure ?

I understand every drive isn't going to be a TD. I understand every game, half, and qtr. isn't going to be awesome. However, this O seems out of sync, chemistry isn't there, unsure, however you want to put it on to many drives to often. How many 1st drive scores do we have ? 1 ?

How many 1st half points do we have ?

I'm still just very unsure ZT can get us over the hump.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 01:36 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: They get to 8-9 minimum and it’s a guarantee that Zac stays. Maybe even 7 wins will get the nod.

You apparently don't know much about Bengal history.  No Bengal head coach has returned after 3 straight losing seasons since Shula almost 30 years ago.
Reply/Quote
He isn't going anywhere. We were actually showing signs of improvement last year before Burrow went down and that continued into this year. Sure we have had some hiccups but literally every team in the league has this year. The players he has been a part of bringing in have almost universally panned out. His choice of Anarunmo that had him much maligned with fans has appeared to also work out. Contrary to the peanut gallery his play calling has been fine for the most part. The biggest part is the locker room really appears to love him ,including our franchise QB, and as much as people think that is a given most the time it really isn't, and behind the scenes that is usually what gets coaches fired in the NFL.

Short of losing every game left in blowout fashion this is just a weird exercise in masochism for some here. In all honesty, hindsight actually looks very fondly on a lot of the decisions he has made in his tenure short of Jim Turner and Drew Sample. 
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 01:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

I'm still not in love with ZT's game planning, scheme, and play calling. Has he improved ? I'd say yes Is he even at the good level ? I'm not so sure ?

I understand every drive isn't going to be a TD. I understand every game, half, and qtr. isn't going to be awesome. However, this O seems out of sync, chemistry isn't there, unsure, however you want to put it on to many drives to often. How many 1st drive scores do we have ? 1 ?

How many 1st half points do we have ?

I'm still just very unsure ZT can get us over the hump.

The Bengals are 9th in PPG.  They are 20th in 1st half scoring with 10.2 points/half and lead the league in 2nd half scoring with 16.3 points/half.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 01:50 PM)Au165 Wrote: He isn't going anywhere. We were actually showing signs of improvement last year before Burrow went down and that continued into this year. Sure we have had some hiccups but literally every team in the league has this year. The players he has been a part of bringing in have almost universally panned out. His choice of Anarunmo that had him much maligned with fans has appeared to also work out. Contrary to the peanut gallery his play calling has been fine for the most part. The biggest part is the locker room really appears to love him ,including our franchise QB, and as much as people think that is a given most the time it really isn't, and behind the scenes that is usually what gets coaches fired in the NFL.

Short of losing every game left in blowout fashion this is just a weird exercise in masochism for some here. In all honesty, hindsight actually looks very fondly on a lot of the decisions he has made in his tenure short of Jim Turner and Drew Sample. 

Taylor is only 2 games over .500 this year and still 17 games under .500 for his coaching career.

3 years is the limit for an NFL re-build.  It is absurd to claim he is a lock to return.  
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 01:53 PM)Whatever Wrote: The Bengals are 9th in PPG.  They are 20th in 1st half scoring with 10.2 points/half and lead the league in 2nd half scoring with 16.3 points/half.

Bengals fan constantly up in arms over lack of second half adjustments by Marvin… ZT leading the league in second half adjustments/scoring — his scheme and play calling ain’t good enough…
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 02:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Taylor is only 2 games over .500 this year and still 17 games under .500 for his coaching career.

3 years is the limit for an NFL re-build.  It is absurd to claim he is a lock to return.  

He is a lock to return short of losing every game form here out badly. It's not a debate Fred, I am telling you what I know.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 02:56 PM)Au165 Wrote: He is a lock to return short of losing every game form here out badly. It's not a debate Fred, I am telling you what I know.

You don't know anything.

If we finish 3-7 after that 5-2 start he is gone.  History proves it.  And they don't have to be blowout losses.  The front office has spent WAY TOO MUCH MONEY ON FREE AGENTS to keep a HC with three straight losing seasons.  They did not do it with Coslet, LeBeau, or Lewis when they were not spending anything on free agents.  So no way Zac returns if he only wins 8 games.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 03:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You don't know anything.

If we finish 3-7 after that 5-2 start he is gone.  History proves it.  And they don't have to be blowout losses.  The front office has spent WAY TOO MUCH MONEY ON FREE AGENTS to keep a HC with three straight losing seasons.  They did not do it with Coslet, LeBeau, or Lewis when they were not spending anything on free agents.  So no way Zac returns if he only wins 8 games.

I do actually. That came from an editor for a national publication, who I know through an acquaintance, from sources in the front office for a story. He said they love what he is doing and 100% believe he has them on the right path. The road victories, beating Baltimore and Pittsburgh, a team that has exhibited the character qualities they want, it’s the foundation they were hoping he’d build and they aren’t going to not let him see it through because he wins 8 games instead of 9. As I said before, don’t under estimate Burrow and the locker rooms belief in Zach and it’s impact on his stability here. Taylor isn’t going anywhere.

History only proves things until it doesn’t. We’ve seen it recently with a lot of things with this organization. You’re staking your flag on a losing hill Fred but you do you, you always do.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 05:49 PM)Au165 Wrote: I do actually. That came from an editor for a national publication, who I know through an acquaintance, from sources in the front office for a story. He said they love what he is doing and 100% believe he has them on the right path. The road victories, beating Baltimore and Pittsburgh, a team that has exhibited the character qualities they want, it’s the foundation they were hoping he’d build and they aren’t going to not let him see it through because he wins 8 games instead of 9. As I said before, don’t under estimate Burrow and the locker rooms belief in Zach and it’s impact on his stability here. Taylor isn’t going anywhere.

History only proves things until it doesn’t. We’ve seen it recently with a lot of things with this organization. You’re staking your flag on a losing hill Fred but you do you, you always do.

The Browns listen to empty seats.  And if we finish 3-7 after a 5-2 start the seats will be empty.

Wins and losses get coaches fired.  Not how much the QB likes him.  In fact many coaches get lots of support from their players before they are fired.

No matter how reliable you think your source is I guarantee the front office has not given Taylor an extension yet.  They are going to wait and see how the season plays out.  and if we stumble home with a 3-7 finish Taylor will be gone because the fans will be insisting on it.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 06:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Browns listen to empty seats.  And if we finish 3-7 after a 5-2 start the seats will be empty.

Wins and losses get coaches fired.  Not how much the QB likes him.  In fact many coaches get lots of support from their players before they are fired.

No matter how reliable you think your source is I guarantee the front office has not given Taylor an extension yet.  They are going to wait and see how the season plays out.  and if we stumble home with a 3-7 finish Taylor will be gone because the fans will be insisting on it.

Lack of progress get's coaches fired, just like lack of progress loses locker rooms. Since there is no lack of progress there will be no firing, which is what I am explaining to you.

Let's put our money where our mouth is. If Taylor only wins 8, and since you guarantee he is gone, you will leave the board until the 1st game of next season if he is not. If he gets fired for winning 8 I will do the same.

Deal? I mean you have to right? You guarantee it, not you think it'll happen, but you guarantee it!
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 06:23 PM)Au165 Wrote: Let's put our money where our mouth is. If Taylor only wins 8, and since you guarantee he is gone, you will leave the board until the 1st game of next season if he is not. If he gets fired for winning 8 I will do the same.

Deal? I mean you have to right? You guarantee it, not you think it'll happen, but you guarantee it!

I'll do it for a month, not the full off season.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 06:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I'll do it for a month, not the full off season.

Well that doesn't seem like a confidence move Fred, what about history?
Reply/Quote