Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dolphins, Patriots, Lions Could Help Bengals Bye-Week
(11-14-2021, 10:28 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Here's my opinion that, for whatever in the hell it's worth. 

Going into the Jets game, they were feeling extremely confident (maybe even a little too much so) because they had just blown out the Lions and Ravens in back to back weeks by a combined score of 75-28 and were on a 4-1 run since the Bears loss. 

The Jets game was their 3rd straight on the road and they had put out a ton of effort and energy in the blowouts, so I think there was also an element of lag, flatness (whatever you want to call out) when they took the field in NY. Just not the same level of energy. 

Defensively, they planned for what they had seen on tape from NY to that point in the season. Except, that's not what they got when NY took the field. Instead, they literally borrowed and executed the Patriots offensive game plan from the week before where they got humiliated, which the Bengals D and staff was not prepared for at all...and couldn't really adjust to during the game, for whatever reason.

All that combined led to a Jets upset and a very heartbreaking loss for the Bengals.

Then they go back home and face the Browns, having been dealt a pretty good blow to their confidence the week before, I felt going into the game that they needed to come out strong and take an early lead to that Jets game out of their minds. That didn't happen. Instead, the pick six was a huge momentum / emotional shift right out of the gate. To their credit, they came right back and tied it up...but then, a combination of mistakes on their part and big plays on the Browns part led to the game getting out of hand pretty quickly.

It happens. In fact, it's happened a lot this season and to quite a few teams with winning records right now. Good teams have also suffered upsets in the past few weeks...some have been mind boggling.

I think the reason a lot of people have been so negative and frustrated is because the Bengals had those 2 things happen in back to back weeks, so it makes it look worse. But, if they would look around the NFL this year, specifically the 12 playoff contenders right now in the AFC, they would see that just about every team outside of the of the Titans and Patriots have either had a blowout loss or an upset loss, and some teams have had both. It puts things in a little more realistic perspective.

Speaking of the AFC playoff race...12 teams currently have at least 5 wins and only 1 team has more than 6. 
Of the 12, only 5 have a point differential of 30 or more. The Bengals are on of those.
The Bengals rank 5th in the AFC in both points scored and allowed per game. 

I guess what I'm saying is everything the Bengals want is there for the taking if they come out and coach / play their asses off these last 8 games, being more consistent on both sides of the ball and cutting down on unforced mistakes. They have a golden opportunity in front of them to potentially win the division and/or also land a playoff spot. 

I think there's plenty of reason to still be fired up, and hopefully they come of the bye and KEEP us fired up over these last 2 months.

Sorry for being so damn longwinded.  Mellow

Titans do have an upset loss to the Jets. Patriots were 1-4 at home before today. And the Bucs just lost their 2nd in a row, today to the lowly WFT. 

You're right, everyone has a blemish or two. No reason at all to throw in the towel at the half way point. 

If they come out flat against the Raiders though...

I could stomache a loss to the Raiders if they play well and the Raiders just play better, but a flat, tentative loss tells me they don't have the intestinal fortitude they need. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Just let this sink in..Pittsburgh couldn't beat Detroit and it took an act of god for Baltimore to beat em. We mopped the floor with all three of em. Cleveland was handed their asses right after mopping the floor with us and we beat both Baltimore and Pittsburgh. Meanwhile the Panthers beat Arizona. Washington beat Tampa Bay and finally Philli blasted Denver.. It kind of feels as if by playoff time there's going to be a 32 way tie the way things are going.. Mellow Did I mention we beat both Pissburgh and Baltimore? Hilarious
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2021, 10:35 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Titans do have an upset loss to the Jets. Patriots were 1-4 at home before today. And the Bucs just lost their 2nd in a row, today to the lowly WFT. 

You're right, everyone has a blemish or two. No reason at all to throw in the towel at the half way point. 

If they come out flat against the Raiders though...

I could stomache a loss to the Raiders if they play well and the Raiders just play better, but a flat, tentative loss tells me they don't have the intestinal fortitude they need. 

Yep, I think the Raiders game will be very telling. They've had the bye to regroup and get rested up. Now it's time to come out and prove themselves. IMO, this is damn close to a must win. A loss doesn't mean they're out of it by any means...but getting to 6 wins makes their job a lot easier going forward, and it gives them them a tiebreaker advantage against LV. Those things start to be much more important now. 

If they were to come out and look bad in a 3rd straight loss, that would be pretty concerning and I would start to wonder where their heads are at and what the coaching staff had been doing with the time off.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2021, 10:49 PM)grampahol Wrote: Just let this sink in..Pittsburgh couldn't beat Detroit and it took an act of god for Baltimore to beat em. We mopped the floor with all three of em. Cleveland was handed their asses right after mopping the floor with us and we beat both Baltimore and Pittsburgh. Meanwhile the Panthers beat Arizona. Washington beat Tampa Bay and finally Philli blasted Denver.. It kind of feels as if by playoff time there's going to be a 32 way tie the way things are going.. Mellow Did I mention we beat both Pissburgh and Baltimore? Hilarious

Man, the Steelers couldn't defeat the Lions, needed help from the zebras to beat the Bears and needed OT to beat Geno freaking Smith at home. They're not a very good team right now, which is why I don't get the fear some of our fans are showing for them.

And yeah, every week there's games happening around the league that leave you scratching your head and saying WTF. Hell, look at Dallas. They looked pitiful last week, getting owned by Denver...then come back and obliterate the Falcons today.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2021, 11:04 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Man, the Steelers couldn't defeat the Lions, needed help from the zebras to beat the Bears and needed OT to beat Geno freaking Smith at home. They are not a very good team right now, which is why I don't get the fear some of our fans are showing for them.

Yup. They're not a playoff team and they're about as scary as a bag of kittens.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2021, 07:10 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is true.

However, I need to explain WHY New England’s defense plays flawlessly because it’s not apparent to the casual observer.  First of all, Bill Belichick runs the defense himself. THE PATRIOTS DO NOT HAVE A DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR!  They don’t need one.  

“The Patriot Way” on defense means every individual executes exactly what Bill wants perfectly.  No team tackles better.  No team sheds blocks better.  No team covers tight ends and running backs catching passes out of the backfield better.  Bill says when to play man, when to play zone, and when to do a little of each.  You do it his way or you get cut.

The Patriots aren’t flashy.  They do nothing special.  Their defensive schemes are not spectacular nor innovative.  The players make almost zero mistakes.  That’s the secret sauce.
So....you're saying Lou Anarumo isn't Bill Belichek?
Dang, that's disappointing.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2021, 11:04 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Man, the Steelers couldn't defeat the Lions, needed help from the zebras to beat the Bears and needed OT to beat Geno freaking Smith at home. They're not a very good team right now, which is why I don't get the fear some of our fans are showing for them.

And yeah, every week there's games happening around the league that leave you scratching your head and saying WTF. Hell, look at Dallas. They looked pitiful last week, getting owned by Denver...then come back and obliterate the Falcons today.

It's those extra players they seem to have anytime they play the Bengals. The ones in the weird black and white striped uniforms.

In all seriousness, I said it in another thread that the steelers aren't a good team. They are getting by on luck and bad officiating. At some point that luck has to run out.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
This weekend proves that we really need to stop freaking out over this team. We've taken some positive steps forward, and due to the parity in the AFC, we're very much still in the thick of things. So R-E-L-A-X.

Unless we lose next week, then it's perfectly acceptable to freak out again.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 12:15 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This weekend proves that we really need to stop freaking out over this team. We've taken some positive steps forward, and due to the parity in the AFC, we're very much still in the thick of things. So R-E-L-A-X.

Raiders are gonna be pissed and desperate. that’s for sure
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 12:43 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Raiders are gonna be pissed and desperate. that’s for sure

One would hope the Bengals are pissed and desperate.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 12:44 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: One would hope the Bengals are pissed and desperate.

I’d certainly hope so as well
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 12:44 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: One would hope the Bengals are pissed and desperate.

(11-15-2021, 01:03 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: I’d certainly hope so as well

Yeah, kinda weird. Both teams coming off 2 straight losses in the same manner...upset on the road and blown out at home. 
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 12:15 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This weekend proves that we really need to stop freaking out over this team. We've taken some positive steps forward, and due to the parity in the AFC, we're very much still in the thick of things. So R-E-L-A-X.

The heavens are aligned so to speak.

What a perfect time to get smacked down as a Bengals fan. Nervous
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 12:43 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Raiders are gonna be pissed and desperate. that’s for sure

Agreed. We are screwed. Wanted them to win badly. Them getting spanked at home = No bueno for us.
Reply/Quote
A few more bye weeks and the division is ours.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2021, 11:04 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Man, the Steelers couldn't defeat the Lions, needed help from the zebras to beat the Bears and needed OT to beat Geno freaking Smith at home. They're not a very good team right now, which is why I don't get the fear some of our fans are showing for them.

That's the way the league is supposed to be. The difference between the best teams and the worst teams is not supposed to be very much. Then again, there is the betting angle.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 08:34 AM)Whacked Wrote: Agreed. We are screwed. Wanted them to win badly. Them getting spanked at home = No bueno for us.

Raiders have too much off field baggage. I think last night will be the norm for most of their games rest of the year. They gonna fall off the map.
Reply/Quote
It was a good weekend for the Bengals.

I would have loved to see that Lions kicker make that extra point and/or that field goal in overtime though...
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2021, 10:11 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Raiders have too much off field baggage. I think last night will be the norm for most of their games rest of the year. They gonna fall off the map.

Maybe — but we thought the Jets would be an easy out as well. The Las Vegas defense isn’t awful and Derek Carr plays well when he’s not under pressure.
Reply/Quote
I only saw game clips, but their DB's did not look good in the highlights.
Reply/Quote