Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Don’t be upset about losing out & why it is ok.
(11-26-2023, 06:52 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: The same team that were trying to do it at the trade deadline.

Panthers are a complete dumpster fire today.  No way they are giving up that high of a pick for a star player on the tag much less an average WR1.  They can draft a very solid WR on a rookie year for 5 years instead of Tee for 1 yr, 20M.  Of course it is the Panthers.... still, surely not.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 06:49 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I agree with everything but the last bit. We needed that calf injury to be more significant.

I would like to know why so many Bengal fans completely accept the fact that our HC/OC is a complete bag of vegetable lasagna without the best QB the franchise has ever had.

As long as Burrow's injuries are season-ending, every loss ZT racks up is "for the best."  We are designed to compete for the SB when Burrow is healthy, and compete for a top 5 draft pick and a 4th place schedule when he isn't.  

I suppose seeing teams like the Jaguars, Chiefs, 49ers, and Eagles currently vying for the top seeds in their conferences while playing a 1st place schedule makes you think we should be able to also build upon 1st place seasons, but meh...academically I get that we've "lost in the right way" since ZT got here.

2019 - lose for Burrow
2020 - lose for Chase
2021 - SB
2022 - AFC championship game
2023 - lose for ???
2024 - SB or lose for ???
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure I want us to lose out... I don't think it's a positive going into week 1 next year, and trying to snap a 9 game losing streak.

But obviously I don't want us to tank draft position either, and end up with a far higher pick than is helpful.

Either way, I think today's loss will have moved those who 'hadn't given up the playoffs', to thinking about the draft party instead.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 07:00 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: I'm not sure I want us to lose out... I don't think it's a positive going into week 1 next year, and trying to snap a 9 game losing streak.

But obviously I don't want us to tank draft position either, and end up with a far higher pick than is helpful.

Either way, I think today's loss will have moved those who 'hadn't given up the playoffs', to thinking about the draft party instead.

Every team is high with emotions and confidence in Week 1 as are the fanbases.  Bad teams do not care about the last few weeks of the season prior.  Trust me, Ive been a Bengals fan since the 1970's....

Besides they know they will have a healthy Burrow.*

*Knock on wood a thousand times.

Reply/Quote
Somewhere Palmer is saying “told ya”.

The way this franchise doesn’t demand better from the coaches is disturbingly messed up.

We are always forced to rely on superstars to bail us out.

Chase has to be livid bc he plays his heart out and is so talented.

He is getting screwed as bad as the fans.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 07:13 PM)Whacked Wrote: Somewhere Palmer is saying “told ya”.

This franchise is disturbingly bad and always relies on superstars to bail it out.

Chase has to be livid bc he plays his heart out and is so talented.

He is getting screwed as bad as the fans.

This isn’t Justin Herbert’s talent being wasted by a truly pathetic coaching staff, this is a hurt Joe Burrow. Your team is gonna lose when the star qb is out.

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 07:03 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Every team is high with emotions and confidence in Week 1 as are the fanbases.  Bad teams do not care about the last few weeks of the season prior.  Trust me, Ive been a Bengals fan since the 1970's....

We hope so, but momentum and mentality means a lot in sports. See it all the time in 'soccer', teams who end the season on a slide and just avoid relegation, tend to start the next one slowly. We'll have guys here next year who'll have played in all these losses... that's not always easy to get past, regardless of it being 'new season, new me'. 

I'm not saying it'll affect this particular group, as it's not like this will have been a long stretch of futility. But we see with franchises that are good most seasons, that you don't need high end picks to be good. Far more often about the coaching and culture surrounding the team.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 07:17 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: We hope so, but momentum and mentality means a lot in sports. See it all the time in 'soccer', teams who end the season on a slide and just avoid relegation, tend to start the next one slowly. We'll have guys here next year who'll have played in all these losses... that's not always easy to get past, regardless of it being 'new season, new me'. 

I'm not saying it'll affect this particular group, as it's not like this will have been a long stretch of futility. But we see with franchises that are good most seasons, that you don't need high end picks to be good. Far more often about the coaching and culture surrounding the team.

True, but this group wasnt losing with a healthy Burrow, they know that.  And we need obvious upgrades in various places and the better the player we can get the better we will be.  Im not a Zac basher, he has developed a solid culture, but I have no confidence in leaning on his coaching acumen.  

Reply/Quote
We were avg this year with Burrow, I'm not sure Burrow can lead us back to SB without a better defense and running game attack.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 07:22 PM)casear2727 Wrote: True, but this group wasnt losing with a healthy Burrow, they know that.  And we need obvious upgrades in various places and the better the player we can get the better we will be.  Im not a Zac basher, he has developed a solid culture, but I have no confidence in leaning on his coaching acumen.  

We'll see I guess. I just know we see a lot of the same franchises have these high end picks and don't really become sustainably better teams for it. The likes of the Steelers/Ravens never pick high and never seem to need to. They'll find their guy with the mid-rounder and know how to use him. 

But I agree with your confidence in Zac/coaches, I'm not sure we're really building the same thing here. I think rather than the record, playing hard through these remaining 6 games is the important bit. 
Reply/Quote
I felt the game turned today on one play, Steeler's go from 1st and goal from the 15 to a TD when a flag is picked up for holding.

No Burrow, we no longer get calls as NFL wants the Steeler fan base engaged.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 07:50 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I felt the game turned today on one play, Steeler's go from 1st and goal from the 15 to a TD when a flag is picked up for holding.

I was doing some last second before it snows yardwork and listening to the game, but wasn't the 1st Steelers TD nullified by a bad call?  It was a low scoring game and the Steelers got duped out of a TD, so that's not very effective bias there.

It's all a moot point, though.  If the NFL has any inkling of bias it's going to be to get Taylor Swift hoisting the Lombardi.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 07:03 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Every team is high with emotions and confidence in Week 1 as are the fanbases.  Bad teams do not care about the last few weeks of the season prior.  Trust me, Ive been a Bengals fan since the 1970's....

If you've been a Bengals fan since the 1970s, then surely you remember a lot of those first-round picks that were anticipated ended up being complete busts. Klinger was a 6th pick in the draft, Akili Smith a 3rd overall, and John Ross a 9th (one spot before Patrick Mahomes).  So, as much as some posters are hoping the Bengals lose out to get a higher draft pick, it could end up being fools' gold. 

I would much, much rather win now than begin looking forward to the draft with six games to go. I'm going to be rooting each week for a Bengals victory.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 08:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I was doing some last second before it snows yardwork and listening to the game, but wasn't the 1st Steelers TD nullified by a bad call?  It was a low scoring game and the Steelers got duped out of a TD, so that's not very effective bias there.

It's all a moot point, though.  If the NFL has any inkling of bias it's going to be to get Taylor Swift hoisting the Lombardi.

The Steelers could have challenged and won. They chose not to challenge. I was very shocked, and pleasantly surprised, when I saw them line up for a play rather than challenge. From the very first reply it was clear it was a TD if they would challenge. 

That's not bad referring. That was a bad decision by the Steelers.

The picking up of the flag for holding was a head scratcher.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 07:50 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I felt the game turned today on one play, Steeler's go from 1st and goal from the 15 to a TD when a flag is picked up for holding.

Meh.  I think the 3rd qtr int sealed it.  That was a 6-10 point swing and basically the end.  If the Bengals get 7 or 3 there, things get a bit more rushed for Pittsburgh.  

The true culprit today was 3rd down efficiency, of which there was none on our end.  I think the Bengals converted 2 while Pittsburgh was doing it left and right.  

This game sucked to lose, because it was in reasonable reach, but the outcome was unsurprising.  At the end of the day it mean little.  Pittsburgh is still a dogshit offense and will be so long a Pickett is under center.  Canada is no longer there to be the rented mule.  They will be extremely fortunate to escape the wild card round.  There's no Joe Burrow caliber qb coming in to save them next season, either.  Bump in the road here, no more, no less.
Reply/Quote
Re: A high draft pick. We lost Bates and Bell. We'll lose some of Jonah, Higgins, Boyd, Reader...Awuzie has declined.

We're not 1 high draft pick away from a turnaround...
Reply/Quote

That was the dagger.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 09:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Re: A high draft pick. We lost Bates and Bell. We'll lose some of Jonah, Higgins, Boyd, Reader...Awuzie has declined.

We still have FA to pick up some of them... I wouldn't mind tagging Higgins next year.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 08:28 PM)Nepa Wrote: If you've been a Bengals fan since the 1970s, then surely you remember a lot of those first-round picks that were anticipated ended up being complete busts. Klinger was a 6th pick in the draft, Akili Smith a 3rd overall, and John Ross a 9th (one spot before Patrick Mahomes).  So, as much as some posters are hoping the Bengals lose out to get a higher draft pick, it could end up being fools' gold. 

I would much, much rather win now than begin looking forward to the draft with six games to go. I'm going to be rooting each week for a Bengals victory.

It's true that we have sucked at drafting at times, all teams do, and we may be the worst.  However, facts are facts - the higher the player drafted the better player's career in the league.  Win one more in 2019 we dont have Burrow, win one more in 2020 we dont have Chase.

Winning a couple senseless games now only costs us several key players in the draft.  

What good is winning a couple empty games for your emotions when it could cost us a Logan Wilson?  The draft isnt just the 1st Round.

I would rather have Fools Gold than no gold.  I do not need temporary satisfaction a couple times the next few weeks, we will add 9 players in April that will be here for the next 4 years and some will hopefully make great impacts.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 09:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Re: A high draft pick. We lost Bates and Bell. We'll lose some of Jonah, Higgins, Boyd, Reader...Awuzie has declined.

True but the higher our pick in the 1st also is true in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th - along with a couple comp picks.

Reply/Quote