Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't Stay in School (video/topic)
(11-09-2015, 10:54 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: I would like an explanation as to what type of "real life experience" you feel a teacher needs and does not have.

I think that when a teacher has never expierenced life outside of a classroom they lack the knowledge of what it takes to succeed beyond the classroom...They are used to theories.   They have never been responsible for an employees livelihood (for example). They do not know what you go through daily in your business.   Teachers never expierence any of that.... It's all theory.  

I was guilty of this myself, I went from playing football to coaching to the high school classroom and coaching.   My only professional out of classroom expierence was coaching at the college level.  I feel like now if I went back into the classroom I could offer more to the students and even bring up my expierences in business within my lessons .  This would make me a more well rounded teacher IMO.
(11-09-2015, 11:52 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I think that when a teacher has never expierenced life outside of a classroom they lack the knowledge of what it takes to succeed beyond the classroom...They are used to theories.   They have never been responsible for an employees livelihood (for example).  They do not know what you go through daily in your business.   Teachers never expierence any of that.... It's all theory.  

I was guilty of this myself, I went from playing football to coaching to the high school classroom and coaching.   My only professional out of classroom expierence was coaching at the college level.  I feel like now if I went back into the classroom I could offer more to the students and even bring up my expierences in business within my lessons .  This would make me a more well rounded teacher IMO.

This is an interesting theory, one that I have seen in action.  Plenty of "world experienced" people went through what is called the PACE program here in South Carolina.  Very few of them became good educators.  I say this as a former educator here as well.  I mostly felt I was baby sitting them as teachers, nearly all the time.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(11-09-2015, 10:54 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: I would like an explanation as to what type of "real life experience" you feel a teacher needs and does not have.

I simply assumed he meant experience in the field that they are teaching.
(ie: Chemistry teacher having been a research chemist in a lab)

Mind you, most are not going to take the pay cut to become a teacher, but I think that is the direction he is going.

Given that line of thinking, I think you should become a "Health" teacher.
Ninja  

*edit* didn't see the last two posts....derrrrrr
(11-09-2015, 12:44 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I simply assumed he meant experience in the field that they are teaching.

I don't want to, nor should I have to assume.  I want to know what is meant when a broad statement is made.

(11-09-2015, 12:51 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: I don't want to, nor should I have to assume.  I want to know what is meant when a broad statement is made.

Dear God, you're demanding.
rfaulk can have you, this week.
Tongue
(11-09-2015, 01:35 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Dear God, you're demanding.
rfaulk can have you, this week.
Tongue

LOL

(11-09-2015, 12:51 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: I don't want to, nor should I have to assume.  I want to know what is meant when a broad statement is made.

(11-09-2015, 01:37 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: LOL

BTW... who made a statement about a broad ?
Ninja
(11-09-2015, 09:21 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You must have missed the part where I said an single parent with two jobs could not possibly be as involved as two parents with much more free time and resources. 

Why is your only example the single parent with 2 jobs? How about the married couple on welfare; how much time do they have to be invested in their child's education?

You asked how you could asses 1st graders and it was explained; of course these interviews should continue throughout the child's academic career and both their performance and that of their parents should be assessed. Of course this would mean that the child and parent(s) must work to earn it; not just given it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-09-2015, 01:44 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: BTW... who made a statement about a broad ?
Ninja

I just assume all statements are in some way referable back to some broad.   Cool

(11-09-2015, 01:53 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: I just assume all statements are in some way referable back to some broad.   Cool

Well done..... and too true !
Rock On
(11-09-2015, 12:02 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: This is an interesting theory, one that I have seen in action.  Plenty of "world experienced" people went through what is called the PACE program here in South Carolina.  Very few of them became good educators.  I say this as a former educator here as well.  I mostly felt I was baby sitting them as teachers, nearly all the time.

Yes I agree to a point with you. They lack the ability to control a classroom. But that can be taught over time. Let the administrators actually help the teachers. I think that portion of teaching is easy enough to learn on the run. And teaching isn't for everyone. Which is why I think there needs to be more washing out of bad teachers.
(11-09-2015, 03:53 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yes I agree to a point with you.  They lack the ability to control a classroom.  But that can be taught over time.   Let the administrators actually help the teachers.    I think that portion of teaching is easy enough to learn on the run.   And teaching isn't for everyone.   Which is why I think there needs to be more washing out of bad teachers.

Lack of control was one of the issues, but poor educational technique was one of the more egregious issues.  On average the PACE program teachers regularly underperformed the traditional teachers.

(11-09-2015, 11:52 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I think that when a teacher has never expierenced life outside of a classroom they lack the knowledge of what it takes to succeed beyond the classroom...They are used to theories.   They have never been responsible for an employees livelihood (for example).  They do not know what you go through daily in your business.   Teachers never expierence any of that.... It's all theory.  

How would your business experience help teach PE?
(11-09-2015, 11:40 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: No I am rewarding families who make education a priority.  Full family unit who makes education a oriority is more likely to see success.   Which makes them a good investment.   The more parents want their children to succeed the more they will adjust to create a supportive enviornment to get them into a good school
No... you're rewarding families for being wealthy enough to provide more resources for their children. 

A single mom can prioritize education just as much as a rich family. The fact that she cannot stay at home with her kids or hire them tutors doesn't mean she thinks less about education. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(11-09-2015, 06:23 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: How would your business experience help teach PE?

He'd tell the kids he was teaching how to mow the grass that it's better to hire the guys at home depot than a private landscaper. 

It's such a silly assertion. What makes a good teacher is having the right personality. As the head of my department at the county level told me my first year, "there's the things that can be taught, and then there's the things we cannot teach you". 

I could be a former law clerk teaching government, but that wouldn't help me be a better government teacher if I didn't have the right personality needed to be a teacher. Maybe at the college level where you just lecture to students, but teachers have to actually teach. You have to understand your students and create lessons that targeted for them. You have to be able to adjust the lessons based on the needs of students before or during instruction. 

But, hey, maybe the issue is that the unions are preventing the schools from being able to hire these professionals...

(11-09-2015, 06:35 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: A single mom can prioritize education just as much as a rich family. The fact that she cannot stay at home with her kids or hire them tutors doesn't mean she thinks less about education. 

Or buy them a computer.

Or expose them to diverse cultural experiences through travel.

Or use her own college education to explain complex issues to them

Or take them to museums, exhibitions, concerts, or performing arts.
(11-09-2015, 06:54 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It's such a silly assertion. What makes a good teacher is having the right personality. As the head of my department at the county level told me my first year, "there's the things that can be taught, and then there's the things we cannot teach you". 

I could be a former law clerk teaching government, but that wouldn't help me be a better government teacher if I didn't have the right personality needed to be a teacher. Maybe at the college level where you just lecture to students, but teachers have to actually teach. You have to understand your students and create lessons that targeted for them. You have to be able to adjust the lessons based on the needs of students before or during instruction. 

But, hey, maybe the issue is that the unions are preventing the schools from being able to hire these professionals...

Many of the best coaches in the NFL never played in the NFL, and many ex-players have made terrible coaches.
(11-08-2015, 10:31 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: People end up cutting themselves.   And yes.   You do judge a child by their parents.  If parents are more involved the likelihood of success is higher.  

It's about time we reward families who stay together, work at being family and for the success of their children.

That means your children might not get a voucher if we judge the parents and their failed marriages.  After all, you got married in June.  Remember?
(11-09-2015, 07:11 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: That means your children might not get a voucher if we judge the parents and their failed marriages.  After all, you got married in June.  Remember?

Plus, Lucie does not value education.  He thinks kids are better off getting on-the-job training.  

So I am guessing that if he is "evaluated" then there is no way in hell he gets a voucher.

But he is going to have his girlfriends kids homeschooled anyway, so it really won't matter.