Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Done with Daltin
(01-27-2019, 05:28 PM)jmccracky Wrote: If Kenny Anderson played in the current league, he would be putting up 5,000+ yards every year and a 75% completion rate. It's ridiculous he isn't in the HOF.

Everyone mentions that rules changed but neglect to mention a huge reason they changed is because the players are alot bigger faster and more athletic now than they were in the 70s and early 80s.

Dolphins had a HOF guard through the 70s his name was Larry Little. He was 6'1 260 lbs.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 07:30 PM)Synric Wrote: Everyone mentions that rules changed but neglect to mention a huge reason they changed is because the players are alot bigger faster and more athletic now than they were in the 70s and early 80s.

Dolphins had a HOF guard through the 70s his name was Larry Little. He was 6'1 260 lbs.

So what?  Back then, defenders could simply "unload" on a QB, well after the ball was gone.  It was customary to see a QB get hit, just about every time he dropped back.  By those standards, most of today's QBs wouldn't have lasted long in those days.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 07:30 PM)Synric Wrote: Everyone mentions that rules changed but neglect to mention a huge reason they changed is because the players are alot bigger faster and more athletic now than they were in the 70s and early 80s.

(01-27-2019, 07:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So what?  Back then, defenders could simply "unload" on a QB, well after the ball was gone.  It was customary to see a QB get hit, just about every time he dropped back.  By those standards, most of today's QBs wouldn't have lasted long in those days.

Two sides of it.  You're both right to a degree.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 07:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So what?  Back then, defenders could simply "unload" on a QB, well after the ball was gone.  It was customary to see a QB get hit, just about every time he dropped back.  By those standards, most of today's QBs wouldn't have lasted long in those days.

Todays NFL is a hell of alot more complex and the players are a hell of alot bigger faster and more athletic. Saying a QB from the 70s could make the reads in todays NFL is nostalgia. Some of them yea...all of them no.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 07:47 PM)Synric Wrote: Todays NFL is a hell of alot more complex and the players are a hell of alot bigger faster and more athletic. Saying a QB from the 70s could make the reads in todays NFL is nostalgia. Some of them yea...all of them no.

Like 'Rocker was saying.  There is some merit to both of our points of view.  Just as the blockers and tacklers are bigger, stronger, faster today, the QBs are also bigger, faster and quicker thinkers than they used to be.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 07:47 PM)Synric Wrote: Todays NFL is a hell of alot more complex and the players are a hell of alot bigger faster and more athletic. Saying a QB from the 70s could make the reads in todays NFL is nostalgia. Some of them yea...all of them no.

He wasn't really saying that.

Instead if they had little amount of rules for QB protection then applied to now, some these modern era QBs would be dead meat.

You don't have to be big and strong to cheap shot end someone's career.
Reply/Quote

Yeah Brady may not make it because he has taken some hits from the old rules, but i can easily see some of these new QB's playing until their mid to late 40's. 

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 07:54 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: He wasn't really saying that.

Instead if they had little amount of rules for QB protection then applied to now, some these modern era QBs would be dead meat.

You don't have to be big and strong to cheap shot end someone's career.

But you are only mentioning one way. 

Yea some QBs from today couldn't take the beatings but some QBs from the 70s couldn't handle how much more complex defenses are today.

That is my point. 

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 08:16 PM)Synric Wrote: But you are only mentioning one way. 

Yea some QBs from today couldn't take the beatings but some QBs from the 70s couldn't handle how much more complex defenses are today.

That is my point. 

We see things from different eras, from different perspectives.  Nothing wrong with that, in fact I think that it's been an interesting exchange.  ThumbsUp

Now, to your second point, about previous generation QBs not being able to read defenses like they do today? The good ones read the defenses as well as they needed to, for the league that they played in. QBs have always been the smartest guy on the team (football wise, anyway) I have no doubt that given the opportunity to adjust, and the advanced coaching that we have today, they could perform as equally well, or even better than some of today's top QBs.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
As a group the NFL QBs of the 70's were weaker than today because bck then some of the best QBs got moved to WR or DB in college or when they came to the pros.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 08:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We see things from different eras, from different perspectives.  Nothing wrong with that, in fact I think that it's been an interesting exchange.  ThumbsUp

Now, to your second point, about previous generation QBs not being able to read defenses like they do today?  The good ones read the defenses as well as they needed to, for the league that they played in.  QBs have always been the smartest guy on the team (football wise, anyway) I have no doubt that given the opportunity to adjust, and the advanced coaching that we have today, they could perform as equally well, or even better than some of today's top QBs.

And QBs from today who are bigger faster smarter with better arms could handle the beating from the 70s and 80s.

Like I've said the NFL is bigger faster and more complex today than back in the 70s early 80s.

Larry Little would not be in the HoF in todays NFL and he was arguably the best guard in football during that period.

Reply/Quote
Why did the Steelers rule a huge chunk of the 70s? Steroids made them bigger faster stronger than every other team lol. There are movies about it.

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 09:20 PM)Synric Wrote: And QBs from today who are bigger faster smarter with better arms could handle the beating from the 70s and 80s.

Like I've said the NFL is bigger faster and more complex today than back in the 70s early 80s.

Larry Little would not be in the HoF in todays NFL and he was arguably the best guard in football during that period.

That pretty much applies to all sports.  They evolve.  Imagine Babe Ruth trying to hit todays pitching.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 09:20 PM)Synric Wrote: And QBs from today who are bigger faster smarter with better arms could handle the beating from the 70s and 80s.

It's all relative.  Do you not think that if Larry Little grew up in today's football era, that he wouldn't weigh 310?  It is interesting, as the NFL became infatuated with size in the 80's.  William Perry was a large man, by any stretch, but at around 330, he was the fattest man to ever play in the NFL.  Now, the trend is starting to head back to leaner, faster defenders, in an effort to keep up with the athletic, passing nature of today's game.  You're seeing this more with LBs and DEs than with DTs, but the trend is definitely leaner and faster, able to keep up if forced into coverage.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 06:02 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: That whole game our players were acting undisciplined.

Burfict was doing cheap stuff(extra knee into Big Ben), Jeremy Hill was getting into scrums, and lastly frickin' Peko who was supposedly a leader was running onto the field with his jacket on an pushing a player in front of a ref.  Burfict running into the tunnel waving goodbye.

That's aside from our meek HC who didn't have the nuts to ever get in a refs ear the whole time here.

All of that before the fumble and the dumb shit penalties that iced the game.

They got beat by a lesser Steelers squad that had Landry Jones at the helm and an injured Rapelisburger.

I'd say Marvin had company in his choke show.

It was a sad thing.

If anything I can say this team chokes pretty creatively.

Merv and Brown can hang their dunce caps on that.

I don't know that it was overly creative this time around, but there wasn't a doubt in my mind that the Bengals we're gonna lose the way they did when they played the Steelers the first time this year. Poor Mixon was celebrating that TD... He hadn't been around long enough to know better.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 09:34 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: That pretty much applies to all sports.  They evolve.  Imagine Babe Ruth trying to hit todays pitching.

Exactly! 

Now Ken Griffey or Alex Rodriguez in the 20s...

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 04:39 PM)Natifan Wrote: Take Daltons 8 years and compare them with Kennys first 8 years. Let me give you some advice. You don't want to go there. Lol.

All of kennys accolades came after 10 years in the league.

It isn't even close.
I'll ignore your advice and go there. I'll also realize the game has changed a lot in 40 years. So the best way to compare them is how they stacked up against their peers.

Passer rating for each in their 1st 8 seasons:

Anderson:
10th
8th
1st
1st
12th
8th
22nd
5th

Dalton:
20th
13th
15th
25th
2nd
15th
17th
26th

There's absolutely no comparison between Andy and Kenny. Andy should be ashamed to wear #14.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 08:16 PM)Synric Wrote: But you are only mentioning one way. 

That is my point. 

Which I agree with.

It's completely different eras and the game has evolved and become more complex.

Not even saying that those QBs could hang with these guys, but if you entertained the scenario they'd have all of those things that these modern players have had to build their strength, training, and skills... perhaps.  It's just not a definite yes/no kind of answer in a "what if" imaginary kind of way. LOL
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 09:44 PM)Synric Wrote: Exactly! 

Now Ken Griffey or Alex Rodriguez in the 20s...

Jr, sure, Arod? Idk...when were PED’s invented?

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 09:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'll ignore your advice and go there. I'll also realize the game has changed a lot in 40 years. So the best way to compare them is how they stacked up against their peers.

Passer rating for each in their 1st 8 seasons:

Anderson:
10th
8th
1st
1st
12th
8th
22nd
5th

Dalton:
20th
13th
15th
25th
2nd
15th
17th
26th

There's absolutely no comparison between Andy and Kenny. Andy should be ashamed to wear #14.

HAHAHAHA
Against their peers.lol
Hey when nothing else works pull out the "against their peers" rating
Thanks for the laugh
Reply/Quote