Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft Burrow #1 but...
...who do the Bengals draft on day two and three?

I know the Bengals have AJ Green, Boyd and company but would you be terribly upset if the Bengals draft Jefferson out of LSU for familiarity to go with Burrow?

Will Jefferson be available at number 33?
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 01:41 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: ...who do the Bengals draft on day two and three?

I know the Bengals have AJ Green, Boyd and company but would you be terribly upset if the Bengals draft Jefferson out of LSU for familiarity to go with Burrow?

I think the board will do the talking after the first round.  That first pick in the second round is gold.  Guys with first round grades falling, other teams calling you with trades.  It feels like a huge opportunity.

Probably only two positions off the table--DT and QB.  The war room will feel like kids in a candy store.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 01:41 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: ...who do the Bengals draft on day two and three?

I mean I wouldn't be upset a Jefferson, but I would prefer a quality Linebacker or Offensive Lineman if the right guy is there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I want a WR at #33. If AJ or Ross go down (or both) we’re suddenly very thin on weapons for our new QB.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 01:48 AM)McC Wrote: I think the board will do the talking after the first round.  That first pick in the second round is gold.  Guys with first round grades falling, other teams calling you with trades.  It feels like a huge opportunity.

Probably only two positions off the table--DT and QB.  The war room will feel like kids in a candy store.

Good point. It's not lke we don't have alot of different needs. BPA would help no matter what. McKinney, Delpit, Baun, Queen, Murray, Gladney. Moto Gross. We could go in alot of different directions. I know we could trade back and maybe get an extra 3rd rounder, but I'd prefer not to. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I think we have to look at LB.. one of the top 4 should be there..my guess is either Wisconsin backers..would take Baun or Murray Ok
Reply/Quote
My guess is Linebacker. This is a deep WR class, linebacker not so much. And I still won't be surprised to see a WR show up before the draft. The only caveat to that is they may be tempted to grab Jefferson if he is there, since he and Burrow already have the timing and chemistry.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 03:36 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I want a WR at #33. If AJ or Ross go down (or both) we’re suddenly very thin on weapons for our new QB.

You can't draft with a "What if" mentality. Too many holes to fill at other spots to draft that way. Pick #33 has to be a LB or OL in my opinion, assuming the pick isn't a reach. You can get a good WR in this deep class later. 
Reply/Quote
Has to be LB.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Jefferson had a great combine where he put up a 40 time lower than anyone expected. He is currently being projected in the top 20 in many mock drafts.

However, the issue with Jefferson is that he played almost exclusively out of the slot in college and people have doubts about whether or not he can handle press coverage on the outside in the NFL.

For that reason, he has been labeled (in my opinion, prematurely) a slot only WR.

So maybe teams hold off on drafting him until the 2nd round so that they can draft the more versatile players like Tee Higgins, Laviska Shenault and Denzel Mims, all of whom project to outside receivers.

With that said, I am not sure if we want to draft Jefferson for that same exact reason. We already have a slot receiver signed to a long term contract in Tyler Boyd.

Drafting Jefferson does not replace either Green or Ross, both of whom are free agents next off season.

I would prefer, if we were to take a WR at 33, it be either Mims or Higgins, Aiyuk or Reagor. The former two would be AJ Green (X receiver) replacements and Reagor or Aiiyuk would be a nice Ross (Z receiver) replacement.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 09:29 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I would prefer, if we were to take a WR at 33, it be either Mims or Higgins, Aiyuk or Reagor. The former two would be AJ Green (X receiver) replacements and Reagor or Aiiyuk would be a nice Ross (Z receiver) replacement.

Why, can't Reagor or Aiiyuk catch either???  Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 09:25 AM)Fullrock Wrote: You can't draft with a "What if" mentality. Too many holes to fill at other spots to draft that way. Pick #33 has to be a LB or OL in my opinion, assuming the pick isn't a reach. You can get a good WR in this deep class later. 

It’s not really what if though. We need AJ’s replacement anyway given his age. Maybe Ross surprises us all and turns into a reliable #1, but that’s not something we should be counting on at this point.

I’d be fine with LB at 33, but only if there’s someone we absolutely can’t pass up. Don’t reach just because we’re currently weak at the position.

Reply/Quote
With the Bengals not being able to trade Dalton up to this point, I do have to wonder if a potential trade with Miami for the first overall pick isn't too farfetched anymore. Suppose the Bengals get Miami's three first rounders, take Herbert, and sit him behind Dalton for the year?

Unless the team has no issue with just cutting Dalton lose, but then again Tobin made such a huge deal about how critical it was to the organization that they do right by Dalton. And Burrow's out there liking tweets about the Dolphins.

I don't know anymore.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 01:48 AM)McC Wrote: I think the board will do the talking after the first round.  That first pick in the second round is gold.  Guys with first round grades falling, other teams calling you with trades.  It feels like a huge opportunity.

When a team is drafting ahead of everybody round by round, it has to value BPA over need. Trade down if the there are a few BPA at your pick you can’t use. However that’s not a worry for a 2-14 team is it? Outside of QB and RB, BPA works well for a draft strategy. Atkins is up in age and overused last season so DT would be fine.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 10:53 AM)Big Boss Wrote: With the Bengals not being able to trade Dalton up to this point, I do have to wonder if a potential trade with Miami for the first overall pick isn't too farfetched anymore. Suppose the Bengals get Miami's three first rounders, take Herbert, and sit him behind Dalton for the year?

Unless the team has no issue with just cutting Dalton lose, but then again Tobin made such a huge deal about how critical it was to the organization that they do right by Dalton. And Burrow's out there on liking tweets about the Dolphins.

I don't know anymore.

He liked one single tweet. Just stop.

Reply/Quote

If it comes down to Jefferson or Mims I want Mims. Great hands, and catches with them consistently. Fights for the ball and bullies CB’s. Big body, productive, and tested well. Jefferson is quality, but I think Mims will be a better pro.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 09:27 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Has to be LB.

Only if Murray or Queen is there.

The other linebackers would be pretty massive reaches at 33.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 10:33 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Why, can't Reagor or Aiiyuk catch either???  Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

Sadly enough, Reagor has had some concentration drops in his career haha. But Aiyuk has very good hands.
Reply/Quote
So i think Donovan Peoples-Jones is one of the most overlooked receivers in this draft. Admittedly he is more of a slot.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 10:53 AM)Big Boss Wrote: With the Bengals not being able to trade Dalton up to this point, I do have to wonder if a potential trade with Miami for the first overall pick isn't too farfetched anymore.  Suppose the Bengals get Miami's three first rounders, take Herbert, and sit him behind Dalton for the year?

Unless the team has no issue with just cutting Dalton lose, but then again Tobin made such a huge deal about how critical it was to the organization that they do right by Dalton.  And Burrow's out there on liking tweets about the Dolphins.

I don't know anymore.

No way they don't take Burrow at this point. The excitement for the season is already building. If they trade the #1 pick, regardless of who they take, PBS will burn to the ground. (Figuratively)
Reply/Quote