Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft Madness
(12-29-2020, 11:37 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Well I guess I give Allen more credit than you do lol

His improvement starts and ends with him. Coaches help along the way, but Allen deserves most of the credit

Yes, he has to want to do it, but you still need a good teacher. Most players in the NFL have the desire, but they don't get a great teacher who can teach in a way that sinks in.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 11:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The coaches are not even close to fine. We have an OL coach who was previously run out of the league, and has never produced good results anywhere he’s been. And a DC that was about our 5th choice for the position. If they were fine we wouldn’t have stories about toxic locker room, coaches refusing to teach technique, Dunlap having to be traded away for peanuts, etc.

We need better players for sure, but in no way shape or form are the coaches “fine.”

Teams with locker room issues do not play as hard as they do. Defensively Reader and Geno being MIA this year in a position group that was already thin has been a huge impediment.

OL is a group of players other teams did not want except Williams who is actually playing in his rookie season. That said they are still scoring the ball very well. Improve the talent on both lines and these coaches can and will get it done.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 10:36 PM)TheFan Wrote: I can honestly say Dalton was the only QB I wanted from that draft class. I had a huge gut feeling Ponder, Gabbert, and Locker were going to be busts. I genuinely wasn't surprised at all we ended up being good Daltons 1st year. 

That said I also thought Ross was an okay draft pick...Wouldn't have been my pick but I didn't hate it. 

You didn't want Mallett? I know he was 1st round, but you really didn't specify he had to be picked after AD...
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 04:36 PM)SladeX Wrote: You didn't want Mallett? I know he was 1st round, but you really didn't specify he had to be picked after AD...

Don't think Mallett went in the first round. Iirc, he went in the second to NE after Dalton was picked. 

Edit:
I just checked,  and he went to NE in the third round. 
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 09:41 AM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: Is edge rusher really our biggest need?

I think it's interior pass rush.

I’m the absence of DJ Reader I agree. But I guess I assume he’ll be back and healthy next year. I like pairing him with Mike Daniels and some of the young DTs that got a lot of experience this year. Wouldn’t hurt to add another DT, but it’s not a strong draft for that position from the sounds of it. I’d be happy with drafting one as high as our 2nd pick if it’s BPA.

A consistent pass rush is what’s missing on D. One more dynamic pass rusher would make a worlds of difference. A dynamic LB or CB would make us better as well, but it all starts with the pass rush.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 04:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:  We shouldn’t take Sewell because he’s raw, and Jim Tuner sucks.

"Young" is not the same thing as "raw".  Sewell won the Outland Trophy and was unanimous First Team All-American.  He can't be too "raw" if he has already accomplished all of that.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 02:33 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So 5 versus 9?

Hell, win this game and keep Baltimore out of the playoffs. A 3 game streak to end the season would be nice.

I'm ok with this.. I mean hell, we already started the winning...
Reply/Quote
As much as I would love to pick as high as possible and try to get Sewell, beating Baltimore would be awesome.

Looking back on drafts always makes me wonder if a player would have ended up being as good or bad if he had gone somewhere else. Like would Mahomes have ended up as good as he is if the team picking right before the Chiefs had taken him (instead of the speedy WR they didn’t need)?
I don’t think so but we will never know.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 08:33 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: As much as I would love to pick as high as possible and try to get Sewell, beating Baltimore would be awesome.

Looking back on drafts always makes me wonder if a player would have ended up being as good or bad if he had gone somewhere else.  Like would Mahomes have ended up as good as he is if the team picking right before the Chiefs had taken him (instead of the speedy WR they didn’t need)?
I don’t think so but we will never know.

Everyone in the top 10 that year wishes the took mahomes..
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 04:03 PM)Waite Hoyt Wrote: Teams with locker room issues do not play as hard as they do. Defensively Reader and Geno being MIA this year in a position group that was already thin has been a huge impediment.

OL is a group of players other teams did not want except Williams who is actually playing in his rookie season. That said they are still scoring the ball very well. Improve the talent on both lines and these coaches can and will get it done.

So are all the coaches.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 07:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "Young" is not the same thing as "raw".  Sewell won the Outland Trophy and was unanimous First Team All-American.  He can't be too "raw" if he has already accomplished all of that.

It’s not my opinion, it’s things I’ve seen people say here over and over.

That said, college awards are nice and all, but Billy Price did win a Rimington trophy, so...

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 05:21 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Don't think Mallett went in the first round. Iirc, he went in the second to NE after Dalton was picked. 

Edit:
I just checked,  and he went to NE in the third round. 

I stand corrected. I thought I  checked it b4 posting. Reading Is Fun!
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 11:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s not my opinion, it’s things I’ve seen people say here over and over.

That said, college awards are nice and all, but Billy Price did win a Rimington trophy, so...

I'd have no problem taking him at 3. It's just I think people assume that he's going to come in and be a Top 5 LT right off the bad. That likely won't be the case. It could take him 2-3-4 years to develop, but the sky is the limit for him.
Reply/Quote
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-mock-draft-jaguars-locked-in-on-trevor-lawrence-justin-fields-slips-steelers-get-rb/?fbclid=IwAR1KMhdzxPy0w0oBEiScIrzhfu4TzD4DObezcImtEt-M0QrnjSpeYuLsuJ0

This mock has us picking at 5 and taking Rashawn Slater. I don't know much about this guy, but if we don't get Sewell I think I would rather them pick up Chase as a replacement for AJ
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 09:37 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I was told by an esteemed member of this board that there were a minimum of 34 better QB's in the NFL last season.

And not just better statistically, but just better overall players.  I tried to bring up the fact of what he had to work with, and who was calling his plays, but they were having none of it.

I wonder if that person feels a little silly now.

PS Fun Fact: Even though this person thought he was that bad, he was one of the only people on here that wanted Dalton to return as a backup, making 18 million dollars.  Figure that one out.

Why would someone feel silly?
AD has a decent ceiling, but he' plays more to his floor more than at his ceiling. Meaning he is very inconsistent. 

First time this season he cracked 300 yds.... how many times has Burrow done that?  4?? With one a 400 yard game as well? And had pretty much the same shifty OL to work with?  It was time to move on. 
Reply/Quote
Break the bank for Stanleydraft Jamarr Chase.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 01:37 PM)Sled21 Wrote: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-mock-draft-jaguars-locked-in-on-trevor-lawrence-justin-fields-slips-steelers-get-rb/?fbclid=IwAR1KMhdzxPy0w0oBEiScIrzhfu4TzD4DObezcImtEt-M0QrnjSpeYuLsuJ0

This mock has us picking at 5 and taking Rashawn Slater. I don't know much about this guy, but if we don't get Sewell I think I would rather them pick up Chase as a replacement for AJ

I'd pobably go Chase too. Or Devontae Smith.

The thing is, I think going lines is a smarter investment. I don't know though. It's hard not to go with the fast WR!
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 01:53 PM)Mark123 Wrote: Break the bank for Stanleydraft Jamarr Chase.

Not sure how you can do that after he signed a massive extension with Baltimore.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 04:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd pobably go Chase too. Or Devontae Smith.

The thing is, I think going lines is a smarter investment. I don't know though. It's hard not to go with the fast WR!

I agree with the lines being the smarter investment. That's why I want them to shell out some dough for a first tier FA or two. Opens up the draft for other positions. Also then a second or third round lineman can be developed a little longer (but not more than a year). Build your depth and if the rookie has developed,  then opens up a trade for the FA. Or with the attrition nature of the NFL, the depth serves your team well. 

But the fundamental key to all the above is a strong scouting system that works well with GM and coaches. Which hinges on a competent and capable GM. So until we have that, we rely on pure luck, which has almost never been kind to this team.
Reply/Quote