Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals better go after McCarthy
(12-04-2018, 05:56 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: And who does Billy B. give credit for his success and declares that credit to be his mentor, at the time??

Pretty sure you're referring to Bill Parcells.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 02:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd say those odds are low only because Mike Brown wants a yes man, and "continuity". 

If Mike Brown were willing to work with McCarthy, I bet he'd be as willing to come to Cincy as anywhere else.

Do you think Mike is too stubborn to at least give McCarthy some control, and a shot? If anybody with any power in the front office had half a brain you'd think they'd have already gone to Brown telling him to take a serious look at the guy. I hope at the very least they meet with him. I mean, they can't honestly think keeping Marv (or hiring Hue) is a good idea. Ffs I hope not.

But it's Mike Brown, so probably.

(12-04-2018, 05:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well and Belicheck wasn't good in Cleveland too...so maybe some of it is the Patriots/their system/their HOF QB.

Who knows if Belicheck could win under Mike Brown?

I think in NE it was a combination of Kraft letting BB have near-total control, and Belichick just being that damn good (with that control). So from that Bill built up a hell of an organization (plus it doesn't hurt to have the GOAT QB). Mike Brown seems fifth-rate compared to Kraft. So it probably wouldn't work out well. Though even still, I wouldn't be surprised to see BB coach a winning team here, because he's lightyears ahead of Lewis.
[Image: Kongmoving.gif] Tiger
Reply/Quote
idk if McCarthy is the right choice... No coach has won a SB on 2 different teams...

He already has one.... with GB.. so we might as well go get a coach that's never been to a SB
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 05:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well and Belicheck wasn't good in Cleveland too...so maybe some of it is the Patriots/their system/their HOF QB.

Who knows if Belicheck could win under Mike Brown?

Belichek walked into a perfect setting. A Super Bowl starting QB on the roster, an organization that had been to SB 4 years prior to him becoming the HC, and an ownership that invested in the Team. Additionally, Parcells set the foundation of the Team.

Bengals ownership did not start investing in the Team in earnest, till after 2011. Even then it is sporadic. There has to be a consistent commitment by the ownership. Getting Glen and Brown isn't enough.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2018, 11:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Basically most coaches who coach wins playoff games eventually.

Except moron Marvin
Reply/Quote
What? You guys don't believe we're going to the super bowl this season with Marv?... I just can't believe what I'm reading .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 01:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Exactly. He's a proven winner, an offensive mind and he sure beats Marv and Hue. He's not my #1 candidate, but he'd be a big get considering the types the Bengals would normally look at. I kinda think it's funny some are thumbing their noses at the guy. Are we aware of our history? This guy has twice as many playoff wins (in 12 years) as the Bengals do in their 50 year history.

He’s obviously be a step up from Marvin, but I look at McCarthy kind of the same way I do Tomlin. Underachiever for what he’s had.

Reply/Quote
I think Tomlin is a huge upgrade to Marvin.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 07:03 PM)Adamantium Wrote: Do you think Mike is too stubborn to at least give McCarthy some control, and a shot? If anybody with any power in the front office had half a brain you'd think they'd have already gone to Brown telling him to take a serious look at the guy. I hope at the very least they meet with him. I mean, they can't honestly think keeping Marv (or hiring Hue) is a good idea. Ffs I hope not.

But it's Mike Brown, so probably.

I think Mike will give any new HC similar power to what Marv has had, but I just don't see us looking at any good outside candidates. It's probably going to be someone already here.

(12-04-2018, 07:24 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: idk if McCarthy is the right choice... No coach has won a SB on 2 different teams...

He already has one.... with GB.. so we might as well go get a coach that's never been to a SB

Fair point. 6 coaches have been there with 2 different teams, but no coach has won with 2 different teams.

(12-04-2018, 10:09 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s obviously be a step up from Marvin, but I look at McCarthy kind of the same way I do Tomlin. Underachiever for what he’s had.

He's had Aaron and Clay. Not sure he's ever had a ton of talent outside of that. Particularly lately.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 07:24 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: idk if McCarthy is the right choice... No coach has won a SB on 2 different teams...

In fairness, no QB had won it with two different teams, either, until Peyton did recently.

A recent trend is that a lot of HC's who win the SB wind up retiring instead of taking other jobs when their tenure ends.  In fact, Jon Gruden is the first to try since Dick Vermeil took the Chiefs job after winning it with the Rams.  Since Vermeil won, Brian Billick, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, Tom Coughlin, and Gary Kubiak retired instead of taking new jobs.  Belichick, Tomlin, Payton, Harbaugh, Carroll, and Pederson are still in the same job.  
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2018, 12:20 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think Tomlin is a huge upgrade to Tomlin.

Say what?

Reply/Quote
I'm not sure I would want McCarthy simply because I like what Van Pelt is doing with Dalton, and I don't see Van Pelt working for McCarthy again.
Reply/Quote
Packers under McCarthy look a lot like the recent Bengals. Tons of guys on IR every year? Check. Constant struggles to get plays in before the play clock expires? Check. Bad defense? Check. Doesn't even look like an NFL team when the star player is hurt? Check. Buckets of penalties? Check.

The only time the Packers look better than the Bengals is when Rodgers goes all playground. This year that's just been enough keep them near evens with the 'gals.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2018, 06:03 PM)Wyche Wrote: Pretty sure you're referring to Bill Parcells.

Nope. Bill Belichick. Watch the PB special. He has also talked about PB as his mentor before.
Reply/Quote
There are not a lot of NFL Championship Coaches out there. Paul Brown was one when he started this franchise and coached it. I won't use the term Super Bowl because it has no respect for all the NFL games before Super Bowl 1966. There are only 2 Super Bowl winners who are not NFL Champions. The 1968 AFL New York Jets and the 1969 Kansas City Chiefs. In 1966 and 1967 the Super Bowl was a joke and everybody knew the better game was Green Bay vs Dallas in NFL Championship, the AFL just not as good as NFL. Other than 2 years, the team winning last game has been NFL Champs, before 1968 and after 1969.

So the Bengals started with NFL Champ Coach Paul Brown. Mike McCarthy has won NFL Championship and would be worth a try. He has a great winning record against teams in his division Bears, Lions, Vikings. Bengals could use a coach who can beat Browns, Ravens, Steelers. The Patriots NFL Championship Coach says Mike McCarthy is one of the best coaches ever. At age 55 he is 5 years younger than Paul Brown in 1968. McCarthy could bring in the right coaches and players to turn awful Bengals around.

Hiring McCarthy makes sense. That is why the Bengals won't do it. Hiring Hue Jackson who was lousy in Cleveland makes no sense, and that is why Bengals will do the cheaper move. Whatever is cheap, Mike Brown will do.

Coach Lewis claims he wanted to keep Whitworth and either Marvin Jones or Sanu and would not have drafted Ross. If true, this is a huge problem for whoever Bengals would hire. Still too much Mike Brown, Browns, Blackburns & Tobin like a Law Firm trying to pretend they are football people. It is Bengals Front Office where no play-off wins since Paul Brown died really must accept the blame

Mike McCarthy grew up in Pittsburg but beat Steelers in Super Bowl with Green Bay. Bengals did well with Packers legend Forrest Gregg as coach. The 1981 Bengals playing Packer Football is the best Bengals team ever because they could flat out Block and Tackle. A combination of Vince Lombardi and Paul Brown Football. Again, Patriots dynasty coach says Packers Champion McCarty is a great coach. So look for Bengals to keep Marvin or hire Hue who stunk it up in Cleveland so that Brown, Brown, Brown, Blackburn & Tobin can have a puppet regime of coaches with little or no power to change things.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2018, 02:18 PM)Wilikn Wrote: Packers under McCarthy look a lot like the recent Bengals.  Tons of guys on IR every year?  Check.  Constant struggles to get plays in before the play clock expires?  Check.  Bad defense?  Check.  Doesn't even look like an NFL team when the star player is hurt?  Check.  Buckets of penalties?  Check.

The only time the Packers look better than the Bengals is when Rodgers goes all playground.  This year that's just been enough keep them near evens with the 'gals.

It's all about continuity here.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2018, 06:53 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Nope. Bill Belichick. Watch the PB special. He has also talked about PB as his mentor before.

Yeah....I was assuming you meant Parcells as the mentor.  I've seen the PB special, but I've slept since then. LOL 

Reply/Quote
Interesting quote on the Packers' decision to move on from McCarthy:

Quote:“It wasn’t anything particularly that [McCarthy] did wrong, I just felt that the message had become stale and we needed a new voice."

Mellow

https://www.wtmj.com/sports/green-bay-packers/murphy-we-want-to-hire-a-coach-who-will-be-successful-and-bring-us-back-a-championship-

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2018, 12:20 PM)Wyche Wrote: Interesting quote on the Packers' decision to move on from McCarthy:

Mellow

https://www.wtmj.com/sports/green-bay-packers/murphy-we-want-to-hire-a-coach-who-will-be-successful-and-bring-us-back-a-championship-

Our Head coaches's message has become stale three times now yet we keep him hanging on.

Bang Head Bang Head Bang Head
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2018, 12:23 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Our Head coaches's message has become stale three times now yet we keep him hanging on.

Bang Head Bang Head Bang Head

No shit.....it's gotta be moldy by now.

Reply/Quote