Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dre K re-signs with Bengals
(03-09-2017, 07:16 PM)Beaker Wrote: I never claimed either of those guys we lost were bad players. But I am not sorry the Bengals didn't give a 37 yr old OT a 3 year contract....much less one at $12M per year with $15M guaranteed. We would have been right back in this boat next year when they couldn't sign other upcoming FAs like Eifert and Burfict. And those two guys are both much younger than Whit. The simple answer is thanks Whit, but we're not willing to overpay you like a struggling team desperate to get off the floor.

They didn't have to sign him to that deal they could have franchised him and worked out a better deal for the team. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Great signing. Now cut Pacman to help get more money to solve the gigantic craters we have on the o-line.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 07:20 PM)J24 Wrote: They didn't have to sign him to that deal they could have franchised him and worked out a better deal for the team. 

He's still 37. They were gonna have to move on sometime soon anyway. Let Whit make some good money at the end of his career...just don't let it be us that is overpaying him.
Reply/Quote
usually im pretty negative but based of what whit and zeitler both got paid. I thought Dre was most irreplaceable player anyway. yes tackling is a issue but coverage wise he borderline elite already and hasn't reached his ceiling yet. only thing me personally im disappointed with so far was I feel we could do better than resigning Lafell.
Reply/Quote
Eh, cool I guess.

But once again it seems as if Dre takes priority over the OL #DeCastro
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 07:01 PM)Beaker Wrote: I bet the Bengals will have a better record in 2017 than they did in 2016. 

Better than 6-9-1?  I'm not sure they will.  Unless they do something to help the O line significantly they will be in last place in the AFC North. I'll wait and see what they do.  Not holding my breath.  They already did the "Ced is the future" article on Bengals.com.  So right now I'm seeing last place.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 07:16 PM)Beaker Wrote: I never claimed either of those guys we lost were bad players. But I am not sorry the Bengals didn't give a 37 yr old OT a 3 year contract....much less one at $12M per year with $15M guaranteed. We would have been right back in this boat next year when they couldn't sign other upcoming FAs like Eifert and Burfict. And those two guys are both much younger than Whit. The simple answer is thanks Whit, but we're not willing to overpay you like a struggling team desperate to get off the floor.

I thought Whit was 36?

Anyways i guess i can understand what you are saying here cause i would in no way of paid Zeitler what he got.

Whit i would though, as he has yet to fall off and adds more value as a coach on field being we have the OL coach that we have.

We overpaid for Kirkpatrick though IMHO. One year wonder, doubt he keeps that up. Plus, this pretty much means we are done in FA.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 07:30 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Better than 6-9-1?  I'm not sure they will.  Unless they do something to help the O line significantly they will be in last place in the AFC North. I'll wait and see what they do.  Not holding my breath.  They already did the "Ced is the future" article on Bengals.com.  So right now I'm seeing last place.

Agreed,

We could have the 85 Bears defense and we'd struggle to go .500 with the O-line we're going to run out there.
Reply/Quote
Dre wanted to stay. Whit and Big Z did not.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I'm okay with this. I just hope he continues to build off the year he had this year, prove to the fans and the FO he deserves the fat contract. I sorta think the Pacman situation had some influence on this move though. I felt that out of The Big Three, DreK was the most replaceable. Now I just hope they make a couple releases to free up some more money and sign someone to be halfway be excited about. I know that's wishful thinking, but hey..I can hope right?!
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 07:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agreed,

We could have the 85 Bears defense and we'd struggle to go .500 with the O-line we're going to run out there.

Except for the fact that you don't know who will comprise that O line yet.
Reply/Quote
The worst of the big 3 FA who is also a part of the position with the most depth got re-signed. It's cool but still....
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 08:16 PM)Beaker Wrote: Except for the fact that you don't know who will comprise that O line yet.

And you don't find that the least bit scary, considering who the potential candidates are and who coaches them?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 06:03 PM)J24 Wrote: Dumb move he was the one guy that was replaceable out of the three.

Based on what?  How many other CBs have you seen come out of the draft and be successful as starters?  This was a critical retention and I am relieved that it happened.

Especially after the Pats gave Gilmore a ridiculous $14 million.  I swear they did that to screw the rest of the league that will now overpay the rest of the CBs.  

Losing Whit was likely a very dumb move, though, I will give you that...especially if he isn't replaced by a FA.  If it is Ced O at LT, the season is over before it starts and the entire team will know it.  
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 06:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would of rather paid Whitworth that and he could of just sat on the bench for 3 years as the OL coach...

I would have rather paid Whitworth to throat punch the offensive line coach.... Shocked
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 06:09 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And there goes the last of the $15m.

FA over.

Doesn't really seem like it...I would imagine the deals between LaFell and Dre would still allow about $2.5 per year for Sexy.

But, if they release Adam Jones, that could get them close to $10 million remaining and could go after a LT.  Please, don't fool yourself to think Ogbuehi can start at LT just because he was drafted (stupidly) in the first round.  
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 06:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It was a contract year as well.

Wouldn't surprise me if he goes back to playing bad again. This was almost as stupid as letting Whit go.

With only $23 guaranteed, there is no way he regresses.  I wasn't his biggest fan early, but he has improved each year and he knows our system.  This was the right move.

Did anyone else hear the steelers were looking at him?  Yeah, that would have been fun.  I like them struggling at CB, thank you. 
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 06:57 PM)J24 Wrote: No the best OT and an all pro caliber G are not replaceable. Now we're going to have to draft the replacements and hope they don't suck. Meanwhile we continue to ignore our defensive line instead of addressing it. 

Where are you getting this All-Pro G crap?  He wasn't even ever in the Pro Bowl?

I swear, by the time the season rolls around some of the folks on here will have Zeitler playing three offensive line positions at once and dominating.

I am sore that we lost Whit, and I sure as hell don't like the idea of Ced Omygodiwhiffedagain at LT, but that is only one dire need.  They have options at RG and Fisher was solid at RT when he was finally given a chance last year.  Bodine is Bodine, but he wasn't the liability Oshitmypants was/is....

The Bengals will likely go DE with the first pick and Guard with the second.  Perhaps Elflein so he can push Bodine as Center if Westerman or TJ Johnson is ready to assume the roll of RG.  

The biggest if is, and will be, LT until something is done either through the draft (not many options) or through FA.  
Reply/Quote
And this thread is proof positive, why I don't even post here anymore, not do I check every hour like I used to. For 8 straight years. And its not the mods' fault either.

This has gone from the BEST board of any NFL team, to easily the worst internet time one can spend.

Such negativity and outright vitriol for something you should have fun discussing. And coming from people whom I considered comrades and, hell, friends.

Bunch of loser mentalities you all have.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 08:57 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: And this thread is proof positive, why I don't even post here anymore, not do I check every hour like I used to. For 8 straight years. And its not the mods' fault either.

This has gone from the BEST board of any NFL team, to easily the worst internet time one can spend.

Such negativity and outright vitriol for something you should have fun discussing. And coming from people whom I considered comrades and, hell, friends.

Bunch of loser mentalities you all have.

Not me Truck. I'm a glass half-full type of guy around here. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote