Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dre is Cut
(03-31-2020, 11:14 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: And we couldn't find a suitor for a trade?

Looks like CB is back on the Big Board.

Why? We have 4 capable CBs in Waynes, Jackson, Alexander, and Phillips. 
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 11:21 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Why? We have 4 capable CBs in Waynes, Jackson, Alexander, and Phillips. 

Both Alexander and Jackson will be free agents next year.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 11:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Both Alexander and Jackson will be free agents next year.

Yep, and I know we have Phillips and others, but if Gladney or Diggs is there at 33, we'd have to least give them consideration. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I haven't hid the way I feel about the drama king. Here's to you Mr. stand up snow angel maker guy! Cheers Now get out and don't be and Andre Smith.

Reply/Quote
I don’t see us even looking at corner until day 3 now. I’d guess Jackson gets an extension if the numbers are right and we will see on Alexander, it’s not like he broke the bank this year. We could be in a situation where we keep one of those two and Phillips covers the other spot. Either way I don’t foresee CB to be in the top 5 positions of need at this point.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 10:37 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/31/cincinnati-bengals-cut-dre-kirkpatrick/

I am happy, happy.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 11:21 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Why? We have 4 capable CBs in Waynes, Jackson, Alexander, and Phillips. 

I think it opens up the possibility of a CB in the 5th or 6th round, but I would be pretty upset if we spent a pick on them in the top 130 picks or so. We have good depth at corner and the players taken in the 5th or 6th round probably wouldn't beat out the 1 year deal players we signed this off season like LeShaun Sims, so they'd see basically no playing time.

I think corner becomes a day 1 or 2 pick next year with Jackson and Alexander coming off contracts, but I don't think it's worth spending a premium pick on this off season unless an absolutely absurd value presents itself in the 3rd or 4th round.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 11:27 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Yep, and I know we have Phillips and others, but if Gladney or Diggs is there at 33, we'd have to least give them consideration. 

No. We have FAR and AWAY more needs than corner this year. That would be one of the dumbest moves at 33. Now if you say 4th round or below, then maybe but not at 33. 
Reply/Quote
Good luck to Dre wherever he ends up... Unless it's in the division.

He was a part of the best sustained run of success in team history. Personally I don't see a need for all the good riddance.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I thought Dre really represented this team welll. Really class act.
A few years ago he shunned a offer from the Steelers to stay a Bengal
I wasn't hoping he could stick around for veteran depth
I think he can still start for another defense .
Reply/Quote
Phone rings...

Hello?

Hey Dre, it’s Mike Zimmer. How does 2 years at $16 million sound?
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 11:59 AM)The Stars In Stripes Wrote: Phone rings...

Hello?

Hey Dre, it’s Mike Zimmer. How does 2 years at $16 million sound?

Mike Zimmer's never said that many words without dropping an F bomb.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Guy drew too many penalties. Not upset to see him go he was a problem
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 11:45 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: No. We have FAR and AWAY more needs than corner this year. That would be one of the dumbest moves at 33. Now if you say 4th round or below, then maybe but not at 33. 

You're probably right, and I hope you are. it's just that Alexander's 1 year deal makes me a little nervous, and they have to pay Jackson next year if they want to keep him. I don't think it's totally beyond the realm of possibility that they consider a CB earlier than the fourth, though I'd prefer they wait until next year. I'm hoping we really load the offense with young talent in the draft. Oline should be a priority, and we ought to think about one or two of these WRs.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 11:11 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Correct, but Dalton will still need to be traded/cut by the time the draft picks start signing.
The Bengals are currently at $12.8 mill.
With Kirk cut, it puts the Bengals at ~$21 mill cap space.
They are expected to spend ~$11 mill on the draft picks alone.
That leaves just $10 mill, and Reader, Bynes, and Sims still aren't factored in yet.

I expect that those three guys will take up ~$15-20 mill in cap when all is said and done, so removing Dalton will be a necessity.
The leftover money can go towards a guy cut in cap who Bengals get off waiver, an extension for a player who will hit FA next year, and/or roll over what's left (if that will still be a thing in the new CBA).

Solid analysis, fellow cap guru. I'm looking at this the same way, but coming up with slightly different numbers.

Overthecap.com says we have 11.7M of space left. Cutting Kirkpatrick, assuming he's not a June 1 cut (and we hardly ever do that), brings it to 19.385. We don't know exactly what Reader/Bynes/Sims count, but I'm going to assume it's closer to the 15M of your estimate (Sims should be close to minimum, and some vets won't make the team this year anyway - I'm looking at you, Jordan Evans). 

That puts us at 5M. So yes, Dalton still has to go. But, and I could be mistaken about this, I don't think there's such a thing as "over the cap" until the money is actually paid. Being projected to be over the cap doesn't make it so. So for example Dalton is scheduled for 200k work out bonus - as long as we cut him before OTAs (if they happen) that doesn't count. So we can keep him for another month or so to see if we can shake out a trade. 

That puts us at 22M, roughly, and rookies + injury pad take up ~14M, which I'll call 15M just to be safe. 

So I think we have, effectively, 7M to play with. Much of that will go to Mixon, but likely as an extension, meaning his 2020 base salary stays the same. It would be the first year of his prorated signing bonus, which will eat up most but not all of it. I think we can squeeze in another veteran, and not just a waiver wire claim. Besides, the Bengals might be counting on an AJ Green extension to shake more cap room lose to cover Mixon.

So maybe we're looking at more Cam Wake than Markus Golden, but that's still something. And it won't be quite as necessary if we do get a pick for Dalton (which I think is unlikely at this point). 
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 10:59 AM)BacknDaDey Wrote: I knew this was going to happen. It was a matter of time. Bengals brought in too many CB's for it not too.

Hahahahaha so true tho
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 11:11 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Correct, but Dalton will still need to be traded/cut by the time the draft picks start signing.
The Bengals are currently at $12.8 mill.
With Kirk cut, it puts the Bengals at ~$21 mill cap space.
They are expected to spend ~$11 mill on the draft picks alone.
That leaves just $10 mill, and Reader, Bynes, and Sims still aren't factored in yet.

I expect that those three guys will take up ~$15-20 mill in cap when all is said and done, so removing Dalton will be a necessity.
The leftover money can go towards a guy cut in cap who Bengals get off waiver, an extension for a player who will hit FA next year, and/or roll over what's left (if that will still be a thing in the new CBA).

That is why I stated trade/draft yet. 

M The fact that they are under the cap right now means they can force other teams to draft first, if they don't get their guy then Dalton trade value increases. Also, they can restructure deals for big money guys like Geno and Dunlap to add cap space in 2020 and deferring it to later years.
They can also sign AJ to a long term deal that may also lessen the 2020 cap hit for him. Lots of options is my point, but biggest being we do not have to cut AD prior to the draft now, we have options.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Jacksonville, by the way, is in a similar situation. They have to unload Ngakoue before they can even consider acquiring Dalton at his present salary. While I consider it a long shot to trade Dalton, Gruden's history with him remains our only shot. That's why an Ngakoue trade is the next chip to fall if we want to get something for Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 12:24 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Jacksonville, by the way, is in a similar situation. They have to unload Ngakoue before they can even consider acquiring Dalton at his present salary. While I consider it a long shot to trade Dalton, Gruden's history with him remains our only shot. That's why an Ngakoue trade is the next chip to fall if we want to get something for Dalton.

A move with no impact on their draft days decisions.  Is Shawn Williams the next cap casualty?  I think so for the $4 million savings. Since he won't start, he's in same situation as Dre was in all last week.  Goes to show how badly the coach's thought of the secondary.  Piss poor.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 11:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: DeCastro was not that much better than Zeitler.  In fact Zeitler got paid more in free agency.  DeCastro instead of Zeitler would not have made a huge difference in our offense.

Not that I am keeping track of exactly what year things happen, but do you think that the money spent re upping Dre would have been better spent on zeitler?

I do
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote