Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dre is Cut
(03-31-2020, 06:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Pretty much sums up how I feel as well. 

I'm not totally opposed to some celebration and swagger but know the damn situation. When you're down by 30 in a game and have lost 7 of the last 8 games it's not exactly the time to act like your play put the team into the playoffs. Especially when the ball landed 15 yards away from you and the receiver.

Yep.. Times change, so I get younger people being into the whole look at me celebrating but they look foolish doing it when the team is getting pounded and humiliated.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 08:10 PM)McC Wrote: Dan Ross and Rodney Holman say WTF??!!!  And Tony McGee is a little pissed too.

McGee was an All-Pro IIRC?  Maybe just a Pro Bowler?
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 12:59 PM)SladeX Wrote: Not that I am keeping track of exactly what year things happen, but do you think that the money spent re upping Dre would have been better spent on zeitler?

I do

Yes. Definitely! 

But hindsight is 20/20 and that coach is not this one.  Happy

But still same owner and come free agent next year, what will we expect and not receive? This FA may be a 1 time deal for ZT. Cry

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 05:12 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: One more pro bowl type season n Geno will be the second Bengal headed to Canton.

Bengals don’t go to Canton. NFL may send him to China tho?

(03-31-2020, 06:46 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I don't know, the Steelers were supposedly interested in him when the Bengals signed him to the extension. Seeing him in their secondary getting flagged for PI and defensive holding would be kinda nice.

Dude. Specially when the game is on the line. That’s what he’s famous for is the penalties that kill the team when it hurts most. Send his ass to Pittsburg. He doesn’t know the playbook anyway.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 08:10 PM)McC Wrote: Dan Ross and Rodney Holman say WTF??!!!  And Tony McGee is a little pissed too.

Did Gresham:
-Get Ken Anderson as a QB?
-Get Boomer Esiason as a QB?
-Have Sam Wyche as a HC?
-Play for the Bengals in the 90s, where all they did was lose, so they had to throw it endlessly in garbage time? (Which is why AP's 2,097 yard season is more special than Calvin Johnson's 1,964 season. Happened the same year, but AP's team went 10-6 and Calvin's went 4-12.)

No, no, no, and no.

He didn't have an MVP at QB, he didn't have a good offensive-minded HC, and he didn't get the benefit of mountains of garbage time. Gresham managed to do it with a slightly above average QB, a mediocre HC, and did it while his team went 44-35-1.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Need to sign Green to a cap friendly 2-3 year deal.
Reply/Quote
Rejoice.
Reply/Quote
It's a good thing that the team released Dre, yesterday. If the news were to have broken today, everyone would have thought it was a joke. LOL

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 08:36 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Dude. Specially when the game is on the line. That’s what he’s famous for is the penalties that kill the team when it hurts most. Send his ass to Pittsburg. He doesn’t know the playbook anyway.

Knowing the Steelers they'd teach him how to launch his helmet into other player's heads, he'd end Burrow's career on a blitz, and since he was working for a Rooney he would get away with it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 10:55 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: When told about the release, Dre was caught off guard as he was still celebrating his last pass broken up.

Hilarious

Incomplete gesture, regardless of whether he broke up the pass or not.  Classic Dre!
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 11:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Both Alexander and Jackson will be free agents next year.

And your point?  

Next year Dre will be another year older also.  We can either resign one of the above or get somebody new.  Dre would be approaching his 9th or 10th year next year - way past any prime he had which wasn't elite to begin with for a #1 pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 06:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Pretty much sums up how I feel as well. 

I'm not totally opposed to some celebration and swagger but know the damn situation. When you're down by 30 in a game and have lost 7 of the last 8 games it's not exactly the time to act like your play put the team into the playoffs. Especially when the ball landed 15 yards away from you and the receiver.

That's definitely fair enough... I don't overly like it either. At the same time I don't hear people saying the same thing about Joe Mixon and his dancing, gyrating, and first down gestures in the middle of an ass whoopin'.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

Especially when the ball landed 150000000000000000000 yards away from you and the receiver.

Yep, I agree.

[Image: kermit-flail.gif]

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 09:26 AM)jason Wrote: That's definitely fair enough... I don't overly like it either. At the same time I don't hear people saying the same thing about Joe Mixon and his dancing, gyrating, and first down gestures in the middle of an ass whoopin'.

Because Joe Mixon is really good. Nobody would care about Dre’s celebrations if he was one of the best CB’s in the league.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2020, 09:26 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: And your point?  

Next year Dre will be another year older also.  We can either resign one of the above or get somebody new.  Dre would be approaching his 9th or 10th year next year - way past any prime he had which wasn't elite to begin with for a #1 pick.

Read the post i quoted.

My point is we still may use a high draft pick on CB.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 07:59 PM)samhain Wrote: As to the subject of Dre, I think he was a quality starter for a reasonable amount of time. All in all, he really was a pretty good deep-ball corner. Early on I'd argue that he was one of the best in the league. His physicality left something to be desired, but that could be said for a lot of corners around the league. At times it seemed like he was lacking in the football IQ department, too.

To me, this isn't something to get all excited about. He's a guy that, for the most part, did what he was drafted to do. Anarumo obviously prefers more physical corners. With that and his unfortunate recent injury, the time was right to move on.

He could have been better, but the team could have done a hell of a lot worse than Dre Kirkpatrick with that pick back in 2012.

Hard to argue with this.

Just look at our subsequent first picks since him

Eifert
Dennard
Ogbuehi
Jackson III
Ross
Price
Williams

You could even make an argument that Dre was the most successful of them
Reply/Quote
He was a solid player overall for us.. Outside of Gilmore who has come on of late with NE.. he probably has played as well as any other DB selected in the first 3 rounds
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 10:37 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/31/cincinnati-bengals-cut-dre-kirkpatrick/

Ahhh, just heard this from SHRacer. Thought this would happen, getting rid of a lot of salary and bad tackling issues.

Good move.
Reply/Quote
https://www.google.com/amp/s/vikingswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/11/bleacher-report-lists-bengals-cb-dre-kirkpatrick-as-free-agent-who-could-help-vikings/amp/

Zimmer silently thinking somewhere...
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2020, 07:22 PM)The Stars In Stripes Wrote: https://www.google.com/amp/s/vikingswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/11/bleacher-report-lists-bengals-cb-dre-kirkpatrick-as-free-agent-who-could-help-vikings/amp/

Zimmer silently thinking somewhere...

Great trade for us, for Zim and the Vikings....

Not so much lol
Reply/Quote