Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dre is Cut
It will be interesting to see if he quickly signs with another team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think he ends up in Minnesota considering Zimmer
And the lack of depth there
Reply/Quote
I miss watching him get ran over by Bell every year. Or any other running back. Bye
Reply/Quote
Solid player but never worth the second Contact he signed. I think a lot of people took it out on Dre that we signed him over Whitworth
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 12:52 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: A move with no impact on their draft days decisions.  Is Shawn Williams the next cap casualty?  I think so for the $4 million savings. Since he won't start, he's in same situation as Dre was in all last week.  Goes to show how badly the coach's thought of the secondary.  Piss poor.

I'm not so sure about Williams being gone.  They seem to view him as the leader of the defense, and have mentioned using all 3 of Bates, Williams, and Bell in 3 safety packages as a benefit of signing Bell.  I also see Williams as a guy that can line up as a LB when needed.   I definitely do not consider his departure a foregone conclusion like Dre and Dalton.

I'm a little curious about the status of Geno and Carlos at this point.  They both make a shitload of money and have been around forever.  Dunlap still plays at a high level, but Geno is very up and down, showing signs of decline, though not quite there yet.

There are many good DTs that could be available to us in round 2 or 3.  Madibuike, Blacklock, Gallimore, etc are all likely to be options.  The switch to a hybrid 3-4 doesn't quite favor Geno's strengths, either.  On top of that, the team just shelled out a huge deal to Reader, a young player who will anchor the DT group for years to come as Geno continues to age.

Look at the guys considered to be Geno's peers.  Suh, McCoy, and Jurrell Casey were all once considered to top guys at that spot along with Atkins.  Not one of those guys is on their original team, and all have declined significantly.  Only Donald remains as a stud, and he's a got a few less years on him than most of those guys.

I think gene could be a surprise post-draft cut if things play out in a particular way.  I think Carlos is safe.  There aren't enough pass rushers on the team to cut bait, and he's still a terrific player.  
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 12:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: That is why I stated trade/draft yet. 

M The fact that they are under the cap right now means they can force other teams to draft first, if they don't get their guy then Dalton trade value increases. Also, they can restructure deals for big money guys like Geno and Dunlap to add cap space in 2020 and deferring it to later years.
They can also sign AJ to a long term deal that may also lessen the 2020 cap hit for him. Lots of options is my point, but biggest being we do not have to cut AD prior to the draft now, we have options.

I can't recall the Bengals ever restructuring a deal...can you?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I have been in favor of a major housecleaning since Marvin exited stage left, but never in my wildest dreams did I think we would see it happen, and with quality FA replacements to boot. Keep it going, who the Hell ever is running the show these strange days.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 11:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: DeCastro was not that much better than Zeitler.  In fact Zeitler got paid more in free agency.  DeCastro instead of Zeitler would not have made a huge difference in our offense.

Irrelevant free agent money aside, Decastro over Kirkpatrick would have freed us up to use our other first round pick on either Melvin Ingram or Dont’a Hightower (I was hoping for either guy with that pick). If we had to go CB, I wanted Janoris Jenkins.

But hey, hindsight is 20/20.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 11:30 AM)Au165 Wrote: I don’t see us even looking at corner until day 3 now. I’d guess Jackson gets an extension if the numbers are right and we will see on Alexander, it’s not like he broke the bank this year. We could be in a situation where we keep one of those two and Phillips covers the other spot. Either way I don’t foresee CB to be in the top 5 positions of need at this point.

I’m hoping for Harrison Hand or Lamar Jackson. Both guys are really good players
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 12:52 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: A move with no impact on their draft days decisions.  Is Shawn Williams the next cap casualty?  I think so for the $4 million savings. Since he won't start, he's in same situation as Dre was in all last week.  Goes to show how badly the coach's thought of the secondary.  Piss poor.

Doubt Williams gets cut he will probably transition to LB
Reply/Quote
Dre projected as a positive player and supportive of the team. We should thank him for that and wish him all the best.

However, Dre could not tackle worth a dam ( which I dimly recall was a negative in his pre-draft scouting report). 

Maybe I am wrong, but I dimly recall his pre-draft scouting report predicting he would get a lot of flags for PI.

Whoever said less swag and less flag well summarized Dre.

Another example of a poor first round draft pick by the team that lives by the draft.

Whoever said it would have been better to sign Z was absolutely correct.
Reply/Quote
Bengals just resigned CB Greg Mabin.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
This move was a sound decision both as a business and as a coaching decision. Dre never lived up to the 1st rd billing, and was a liability in coverage, he was a team player but he just didn't warrant the huge contract. This just goes to show how poorly the team played last year on defense, and I commend the Brown family on making the necessary changes to righting that wrong!!! Now the question is where does Shawn Williams sit? I think he is safe for now, but could be on the way out if the draft falls against him. His cap hit is rather modest, he can play SS/LB in nickel, but do we wanna draft his replacement now or in 2021?

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 01:28 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I miss watching him get ran over by Bell every year.  Or any other running back.  Bye
[Image: thumv-218x150.jpg]
I think it was George Kittle who delivered the biggest trucking of Dre last year. That stiff-arm was brutal! Dre went down like a bag of rocks. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Another 1st round corner gone.

4 out of the last 5 the Bengals have drafted in the first round
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 02:47 PM)Trademark Wrote: Doubt Williams gets cut he will probably transition to LB

Depends upon the draft perhaps.  Him at LB is more experimental than NFL tried and true.  How many snaps he gets @4 million for the year?  Given the outflow of dollars, I think some last year's players are still walking the plank who aren't named Dalton.  For sure Dalton goes, just a matter of how.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 02:47 PM)Trademark Wrote: Doubt Williams gets cut he will probably transition to LB

Yeah, I sincerely doubt Williams is going anywhere. In today's' NFL, the difference between "box safety" and "nickel linebacker" is nothing. I don't even think it's that he's going to "transition" in terms of position, it's just that we'll use more 3 safety looks which is more or less the same as Williams plays LB in those situations. Another reason we don't prioritize off-ball linebackers. 
Reply/Quote
This upcoming team is going to be the most drastic starting roster change from one season to the next that I've ever seen from this team.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 10:55 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: When told about the release, Dre was caught off guard as he was still celebrating his last pass bro Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 01:57 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm not so sure about Williams being gone.  They seem to view him as the leader of the defense, and have mentioned using all 3 of Bates, Williams, and Bell in 3 safety packages as a benefit of signing Bell.  I also see Williams as a guy that can line up as a LB when needed.   I definitely do not consider his departure a foregone conclusion like Dre and Dalton.

I'm a little curious about the status of Geno and Carlos at this point.  They both make a shitload of money and have been around forever.  Dunlap still plays at a high level, but Geno is very up and down, showing signs of decline, though not quite there yet.

There are many good DTs that could be available to us in round 2 or 3.  Madibuike, Blacklock, Gallimore, etc are all likely to be options.  The switch to a hybrid 3-4 doesn't quite favor Geno's strengths, either.  On top of that, the team just shelled out a huge deal to Reader, a young player who will anchor the DT group for years to come as Geno continues to age.

Look at the guys considered to be Geno's peers.  Suh, McCoy, and Jurrell Casey were all once considered to top guys at that spot along with Atkins.  Not one of those guys is on their original team, and all have declined significantly.  Only Donald remains as a stud, and he's a got a few less years on him than most of those guys.

I think gene could be a surprise post-draft cut if things play out in a particular way.  I think Carlos is safe.  There aren't enough pass rushers on the team to cut bait, and he's still a terrific player.  

You actually said that Geno could be a draft day cut??? LMFAOROTF!!!!
That would never ever happen Sam.
He's the only player who went to the pro bowl for the Bengals last year, and one of the only players left on the team with any street cred besides AJ, Mixon, Boyd, and Dunlap.
He's a Hall of Fame candidate who is coveted by the Bengals Franchise.
He looked like he has been on the decline b/c the Bengals have refused to give him a running mate of any sort.
Billings was supposed to be that type of guy but he had surgery on his knee his rookie year and hasn't been the player they had hoped.
Name a player who could also draw double teams like Donald has had the luck of having next to him for the last few years.
Geno is the only guy who draws double teams every game.
So, let's see how he does with Reader next to him and not as many snaps this year before you start sending our HOFer to the trash heap!? Sarcasm
Reply/Quote