Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Drew Sample is a Bum
(11-30-2020, 10:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Only 20 teams have a TE with more receptions than Sample.

Among the 23 TEs with at least 25 receptions Sample's catch % ranks 9th and his yds/target ranks 15th.   

These are not great numbers, but nothing close to "bum" status.  And if you want to complain about lack of TD receptions maybe look at the fact that the Bengals rank 26th in TD passes.  Through the first ten games of the season Burrow ranked 23rd in td passes, but not one person ever complained about that.

Why are people so obsessed with shitting on this guy?  And please don't mention some other player they could have taken if they had 20/20 hindsight like all of you.  If Metcalf was such a "can't miss" prospect them why did every other team in the league pass on him twice?

Sample is also 28th among TEs in the league in terms of yards. He's on pace for just 366 yards this season.

Receptions are fine but you need to get yards from them.

He's being outproduced by guys like Darren Fells, Jordan Akins, Anthony Firkser, Logan Thomas, Dalton Schultz, and Robert Tonyan.

Right now, Sample is last in the pecking order on the Bengals when it comes to receiving yards. He's behind Higgins, Boyd, Green, and Gio.
You don't (or shouldn't) spend such an early pick on a player who is going to be just 5th in receiving on your team.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sample is the worst TE in the AFC North and probally
The NFL in terms of what he offers to a offense.

He couldnt start for the Ravens Browns or Steelers.
Those teams have TEs make things happen when
They catch the ball.

Since Uzomah went down the Bengals have ZERO TDS from
Their TE Drew Sample.

He cant even block well either.
Reply/Quote
Sample has more turnovers than TDs this year.
The ball taken from his hands and the fumble.
Great draft pick Tobin and Taylor
Way to.do your homework
Reply/Quote
So, with all that's been wrong with the OL, and the serious lack of pass rush, we're going to crucify the TE for not being a star and saving the team?

Sure, that makes sense.. Rolleyes

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 11:49 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Sample has more turnovers than TDs this year.
The ball taken from his hands and the fumble.
Great draft pick Tobin and Taylor
Way to.do your homework

I would take the bad if there was some good to go with it. He brings very little though. He’s supposed to be some world class blocker, but it certainly didn’t help that much when our QB was getting hit at a crazy pace. And our running game is simply atrocious. Add that to him virtually being a non-factor in the passing game (especially the red zone) and I struggle to see much positive with the guy.

Reply/Quote
I'm so glad we took him over DK Metcalf... Genius move... Idiots..
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 11:56 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, with all that's been wrong with the OL, and the serious lack of pass rush, we're going to crucify the TE for not being a star and saving the team?

Sure, that makes sense..  Rolleyes

He sure Didnt help the ***** team. The guy is horrible.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 11:56 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, with all that's been wrong with the OL, and the serious lack of pass rush, we're going to crucify the TE for not being a star and saving the team?

Sure, that makes sense.. Rolleyes

Hyperbolic much? Nobody expects him to “save the team.” Breaking his career high of 52 yds and scoring a TD once in a while would be nice though...

Also, there’s been plenty of focus on both of those other things you mentioned.

Reply/Quote

Sure, that makes sense..  Rolleyes

Who said he had to save the team?

Why can't we criticize those that deserve criticism?  I don't think you'll find many people criticizing Sample that aren't also criticizing the OL.  It's not as if they're randomly ignoring problems while focusing on others.

And crucify is a strong word choice.  I haven't seen anyone blaming him for the loss, or the season, or saying that he's our biggest weakness.  What they are saying is that he stinks, which he does.
Reply/Quote
Hmm , I do recall I hated this pick as much Wren but majority here thought I was wrong and he would be a world beater . Sucks being right all the time . But on a serious note , sample can't catch, can't run after the catch, can't get open and can't really block , what a waste of a 2nd round pick
Reply/Quote
I think Sample leads most starting TEs with the least amount of TDs with 0.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 11:24 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Drew Sample sucks.  Period. 

Wrong.

This just is not true unless you claim that everyone who is not top 20 at their position in the NFL "sucks".

That is what people are talking about when they say people who put down everyone and claim everyone sucks are just doing it to make themselves feel superior.  

It is one thing to say Sample is juts average and we could use an upgrade.  It is another to start throwing around terms like "bum" and "sucks".  And the fact is that w all know people who act like this about everything.  Every band/music genre except their favorite "sucks".  No restaurant is good enough for them.  Every type of car except the one they drives "sucks".  Even a lot of movie stars are not good looking enough for them. They are so lacking in self esteem they do nothing but talk about how everything "sucks"
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 11:05 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sorry, Truck, you know I respect your opinion, but this is a homer take. Guy is not good.

(11-30-2020, 11:08 AM)Sled21 Wrote: So he wasn't facemasked???? Because I'm pretty sure he was facemasked.....

What Sled said; I'm not defending the guy, I'm simply trying to give some context behind the fumble.

It wasn't like he was holding the ball like a loaf of bread or being careless; he was blatantly facemasked, which turned his head bottom-right and the defender knocked it out from the left.

If he's able to get his head up, he most-likely doesn't fumble it as he'd be able to see the defender coming from the left and anticipate the hit.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 11:57 AM)Tony Wrote: I'm so glad we took him over DK Metcalf... Genius move... Idiots..

Shame everyone can't draft based on 20/20 hindsight, right.

According to you EVERY TEAM in the NFL are idiots for passing on Metcalf twice.

Why aren't you working for an NFL team if you are such a genius at drafting college players?
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 12:34 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I think Sample leads most starting TEs with the least amount of TDs with 0.

Oh,the irony...
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 12:23 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote:  sample can't catch, 

(11-30-2020, 10:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Among the 23 TEs with at least 25 receptions Sample's catch % ranks 9th in the league 
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 12:08 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Who said he had to save the team?

Why can't we criticize those that deserve criticism?  I don't think you'll find many people criticizing Sample that aren't also criticizing the OL.  It's not as if they're randomly ignoring problems while focusing on others.

And crucify is a strong word choice.  I haven't seen anyone blaming him for the loss, or the season, or saying that he's our biggest weakness.  What they are saying is that he stinks, which he does.

You're correct, I did word my post deliberately strong.  I see people pointing out Sample's stats, and comparing them to other TE's in the league, without any sort of correlating info to show how often the TE is targeted in the Bengals' offense, compared to the offenses of teams with "elite" TE numbers.

While I still see Sample as a reach, according to where he was drafted, I do not think that he's a terrible player.  I think he is underutilized in an offense that funnels the vast majority of it's passes to the WRs.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 03:09 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Bump

I didn’t watch the game, but I see this bum had a big fumble. And still has 0 TD’s in 20 games. We badly need an upgrade at TE.

(11-30-2020, 12:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wrong.

This just is not true unless you claim that everyone who is not top 20 at their position in the NFL "sucks".

That is what people are talking about when they say people who put down everyone and claim everyone sucks are just doing it to make themselves feel superior.  

It is one thing to say Sample is juts average and we could use an upgrade.  It is another to start throwing around terms like "bum" and "sucks".  And the fact is that w all know people who act like this about everything.  Every band/music genre except their favorite "sucks".  No restaurant is good enough for them.  Every type of car except the one they drives "sucks".  Even a lot of movie stars are not good looking enough for them. They are so lacking in self esteem they do nothing but talk about how everything "sucks"

It was literally my main point. Sorry such harsh words like bum upset you so much though.

As to your Dr Fred rant about self esteem and people’s personal motivations and whatnot? Stick to law.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2020, 12:49 PM)Whatever Wrote: Oh,the irony...

Tate has been meh too since the Titans game, but he does have Tee and Boyd to compete with. Sample otoh has 15 more targets and is the clear #1.

Reply/Quote

Sample can catch, he just runs like an old woman afterwards. I know he’s not that slow for a TE, but he sure does look it.

Reply/Quote