Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Driskel should be starter next year
(12-12-2018, 12:16 PM)Au165 Wrote: I laid it out in this thread already he wasn't really good against the Chargers, he was simply serviceable. On drives we scored is was setup by good field position and Mixon. His biggest contribution on a scoring drive I think was three completions for 30ish yards. People really haven't wanted to acknowledge that against the chargers we ran more often and better than we have all season and played defensively one of our better games after the first quarter. 

What I don't understand, is how injuries, poor oline, and poor coaching are only excuses for guys not named Andy Dalton.  And by our own fans!!!! LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 12:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dalton’s play had dropped off weeks before the injury.

Yeah, everybody's play dropped off like 2 games before the bye and than we lost AJ and Eifert.

Not saying that is an excuse but Dalton was playing great early on this year, arguably better than 2015.

I am also not saying we shouldn't draft a QB in the 1st round this year if there is a great one we cannot pass up.

Actually i am for it if we get a new HC. But nobody has played well in the big games under Marv, who knows if Dalton
ended up playing good in big games with a new HC? He played well in big games in college and won the Rose Bowl.

Marv might just be the main problem here, hell, even our Defense hasn't played good in the Playoffs besides the
Steeler game.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 01:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, everybody's play dropped off like 2 games before the bye and than we lost AJ and Eifert.

Not saying that is an excuse but Dalton was playing great early on this year, arguably better than 2015.

I am also not saying we shouldn't draft a QB in the 1st round this year if there is a great one we cannot pass up.

Actually i am for it if we get a new HC. But nobody has played well in the big games under Marv, who knows if Dalton
ended up playing good in big games with a new HC? He played well in big games in college and won the Rose Bowl.

Marv might just be the main problem here, hell, even our Defense hasn't played good in the Playoffs besides the
Steeler game.

The defense didn't play all season, until the last couple of weeks.....and the whole team went to shit after the Stoolers loss.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 01:46 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Total BS?  They booed him when he eclipsed 20K yards at home, they verbally harassed his family at games, dumped trash on his lawn, I guess that was a love affair? Confused 

Revisionist history?

And if those idiots really wanted any of Palmer’s backups to start over him they’re not even worth talking about.

But to act like people were clamoring for Palmer’s backups to play like many have with Dalton (not just a handful of drunken morons) is revisionist history.

Dalton is FAR more polarizing than Palmer ever was.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 01:47 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Dude, we dropped 30 plus on a top 5 defense on TNF. Mellow

Never said he wasn’t playing well early. Said his play dropped off as the season went on.

For some reason we’ve always had the Ravens number. But the truly elite teams like KC and NO embarrassed us. And Dalton did not play well against them.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 01:53 PM)Wyche Wrote: The defense didn't play all season, until the last couple of weeks.....and the whole team went to shit after the Stoolers loss.

Very true, also might add about the only players playing with fire have been Mixon and Boyd on Offense.

Even Geno hasn't been anything like himself after starting the season on fire.

Big reason why you have to beat your rival atleast half the damn time.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 02:02 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Never said he wasn’t playing well early. Said his play dropped off as the season went on.

For some reason we’ve always had the Ravens number. But the truly elite teams like KC and NO embarrassed us. And Dalton did not play well against them.

Even in that Ravens game...we played well offensively in the 1st half and didn't play well the 2nd half.

28 1st half points. 6 2nd half points.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 01:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And if those idiots really wanted any of Palmer’s backups to start over him they’re not even worth talking about.

But to act like people were clamoring for Palmer’s backups to play like many have with Dalton (not just a handful of drunken morons) is revisionist history.

Dalton is FAR more polarizing than Palmer ever was.

I DO recall some love for Fitzpatrick, but come on.....the backups were Jordan Palmer, Anthony Wright, JT O'Sullivan, and Clint Stitser.  I mean, these guys weren't NFL backup quality. Mellow

It wasn't a handful booing him, I can assure you.  I was in the stands.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 02:02 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Never said he wasn’t playing well early. Said his play dropped off as the season went on.

You said he played badly because we played better teams.....I just pointed out that he played well against one of the best defenses in the league when the offense was healthy.  The truly elite teams always embarrass us.....that's a Mediocre Merv thing.  It's his trademark.  Go back and check those box scores from the NE games I highlighted earlier.  Dalton played decent to good, and we got smoked both times.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 02:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Even in that Ravens game...we played well offensively in the 1st half and didn't play well the 2nd half.

28 1st half points. 6 2nd half points.

Another Mediocre Merv hallmark....same against Tampa.

Reply/Quote
In 2017 the league average QB rating was 88.6. Dalton's career rating is 88.8. That's about as mediocre as they come folks. Those of you still supporting this guy as anything but average is mind boggling. He simply is not good enough.

Driskel may not give this team a better chance to win next year, but guess what, they aren't winning anyway. If you look at this team objectively you realize they aren't even close. The offensive line, while improved, still isn't very good. The defensive line isn't what it once was. Geno has not had a Geno season and is getting older. The LB corps is terrible. Burfict has been awful. The CB's aside from Jackson are not good. And the QB is as average as they get. This team missed its window to win with the core group of players in their prime. 

Draft a QB. Play Driskel. Design the offense to fit his abilities. Good coaches design their systems to fit their personnel, they don't try to cram their personnel into systems that don't fit. See what you have with the kid. The physical tools are there. See if he can develop. It's comical the comments about the kid after two starts. No one knows what he's capable of without seeing extended time on the field. 

Three seasons in a row with no playoffs. Next year will be four. We know the organization won't go after anyone in free agency. Might as well see what Driskel can develop into because you know what you have with Dalton, and it hasn't been good enough. 
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 06:19 PM)Fullrock Wrote: In 2017 the league average QB rating was 88.6. Dalton's career rating is 88.8. That's about as mediocre as they come folks. Those of you still supporting this guy as anything but average is mind boggling. He simply is not good enough.

I doubt Driskel gives this team a better chance to win next year, but guess what, they aren't winning anyway. If you look at this team objectively you realize they aren't even close. The offensive line, while improved, still isn't very good. The defensive line isn't what it once was. Geno has not had a Geno season and is getting older. The LB corps is terrible. Burfict has been awful. The CB's aside from Jackson are not good. And the QB is as average as they get. This team missed its window to win with the core group of players in their prime. 

Draft a QB. Play Driskel. Design the offense to fit his abilities. Good coaches design their systems to fit their personnel, they don't try to cram their personnel into systems that don't fit. See what you have with the kid. The physical tools are there. See if he can develop. It's comical the comments about the kid after two starts. No one knows what he's capable of without seeing extended time on the field. 

Three seasons in a row with no playoffs. Next year will be four. We know the organization won't go after anyone in free agency. Might as well see what Driskel can develop into because you know what you have with Dalton, and it hasn't been good enough. 

Why draft a QB and play him behind a guy that is pretty much a practice squad QB? 

Wouldn't it be more prudent to draft a QB and let the vet Andy Dalton teach him? 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 06:19 PM)Fullrock Wrote: In 2017 the league average QB rating was 88.6. Dalton's career rating is 88.8. That's about as mediocre as they come folks. Those of you still supporting this guy as anything but average is mind boggling. He simply is not good enough.

How high does a QBs career passer rating have to be in order to win a championship?
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 12:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dalton’s play had dropped off weeks before the injury.

Dalton is the only reason the Bengals even contended with the Ravens. He was the Bengals entire offense. Against the #1 scoring defense.
And two weeks before that, he had a QB rating of 107.

And in only 3 games out of the 10 Dalton fully played did he have below a rating of 89. 4 of which he had a QB rating of 107 or higher.

Did Dalton have bad games? Absolutely. But Dalton was doing extremely well in an offense that focused solely on the pass.
Even with a run heavy attack since the injury, the Bengals still rank 30th in the NFL in attempts.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote

Driskel may not give this team a better chance to win next year, but guess what, they aren't winning anyway. If you look at this team objectively you realize they aren't even close. The offensive line, while improved, still isn't very good. The defensive line isn't what it once was. Geno has not had a Geno season and is getting older. The LB corps is terrible. Burfict has been awful. The CB's aside from Jackson are not good. And the QB is as average as they get. This team missed its window to win with the core group of players in their prime. 

If a QB is drafted, I’d rather them just play him instead of sitting behind a Driskel. That won’t do much for him.

They aren’t winning with Driskel, they (likely) aren’t going to win with a rookie either. Let the rookie get experience.

If they are going to sit a QB, I’d rather keep Dalton and have him be a mentor ala Kitna to Palmer.
Reply/Quote
I can’t tell if this article is a joke and everyone is sarcastically going along with it or not. HELP!?!?
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
I can't believe this thread is still going. Here's the bottom line, next year on opening day, Andy Dalton is GOING to be under center. Hopefully with a better OL. /Thread
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2018, 08:17 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I can't believe this thread is still going.  Here's the bottom line, next year on opening day, Andy Dalton is GOING to be under center.  Hopefully with a better OL.  /Thread

Oh, you're correct, because that's how this organization rolls. They (and most of the fan base) are willing to accept 8 years from a QB with zero playoff wins and 16 from a head coach. Next year will be year 9 without a playoff win from Dalton.
Reply/Quote
Andy has seldom played behind a great offensive line if ever. Until this season he had whatsisface snapping the ball to him. He's never really had a full complement of great receivers stay healthy at the same time and has been through 4 different offensive coordinators and the same idiot head coach his entire time here..
No, changing QBs isn't going to improve the offensive line and isn't going to make receivers more competent and isn't going to make the OC better and isn't going to turn Marvin into an offensive genius .. The ONLY THING drafting a new QB is going to accomplish is drafting a new QB.. Of the 32 NFL teams I'd venture to say that 25 would love to have Andy as their starter and a few of the remaining teams would also love to have him as their own QBs are aging out . Andy is still relatively young compared to some of the better teams QBs.. Andy has been pretty much forced to play with one eye poked out and two broken thumbs since arriving in Cincinnati (metaphorically speaking )
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2018, 08:17 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I can't believe this thread is still going.  Here's the bottom line, next year on opening day, Andy Dalton is GOING to be under center.  Hopefully with a better OL.  /Thread

There's hope (fully) and there's damned near impossible. Guess which one actually qualifies in this scenario ..  I'm guessing hopefully isn't on the menu for next season .. Mike Brown is eternally optimistic that the usual bums will magically have pro bowl seasons with absolutely no evidence to lead anyone to that conclusion except Mike Brown..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote