Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Driskel should be starter next year
(12-12-2018, 01:50 PM)Wyche Wrote: What I don't understand, is how injuries, poor oline, and poor coaching are only excuses for guys not named Andy Dalton.  And by our own fans!!!! LMAO

I saw this post and knew people would skip right past it because it's 100% true. Great post.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 01:50 PM)Wyche Wrote: What I don't understand, is how injuries, poor oline, and poor coaching are only excuses for guys not named Andy Dalton.  And by our own fans!!!! LMAO

Funny how that happens! I brought that up last week when someone in a post said something about Driskel playing behind a bad line.... AD has been playing behind a bad line for the last 3 season, yet that hasn't stopped people from backing a bus over him. 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 06:56 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Sure does and some of the ones who were saying this about AJM are very vocal here as well. 

Now I like Driskell and always said he was plenty good enough to make AJM tradable. Many Driskell lovers now disagreed completely then. Some seem more like Dalton haters now looking back.

Think Dalton is going to be fine (rhymes with one of the former naysayers) but OL was injured and had not developed chemistry yet. Believe most knew they should get better as year went along. 

But for those that say Dalton is not tradable ? Disagree with that as well, somebody will quickly make move. Not certain that is in our best interest unless we are blowing it up and starting over. Think we are closer to becoming good again than that, even as bad as we have looked. 

What I would do is draft a back up QB in 4th or 5th round with potential of becoming good or grab a solid back up in FA. 

Start Dalton and use Driskell like the Saints use Taysom Hill in a "do it all role". Driskell is a way better athlete than Hill and could become a really nice extra weapon immediately. 

Why choose ? Use all our weapons instead and go for the gold for once in our lifetime. 

It's as if the McCarron thing didn't just happen. Getting cut by the 2018 Bills and having a complete lack of interest on the FA market should've served up some humble pie for all the "start the backup" crowd. Guess some will never learn.

(12-11-2018, 07:02 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: This has been going on since the dawn of time. It's frustrating. Did it with AJM. He's on the bench behind a horrific Oakland team and couldn't even start in Buffalo.

They did it with Palmer. 

I'm so sick of arguing with people. I swear this fan base might be more aggravatingng than most opposing ones. 

Again, some people never learn.

(12-11-2018, 07:32 PM)Millhouse Wrote: No argument here, they know regular season Andy very well. 

How many players have struggled in the playoffs under Marvin? We all should know what the real problem is by now.

(12-11-2018, 11:40 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Andy Dalton isn't Drew Bledsoe and Jeff Driskel certainly isn't Tom Brady.

Here's the thing:  If people want to move on from Andy Dalton, fine, I respect this view even though I don't agree with it. If you're going to say bye to Dalton, why turn to Jeff Driskel?  He's terrible!  Instead, draft or trade for a known quantity:  A quarterback with a proven record.  

100% this. If we're going to move on, it'd better be with a new coaching staff and it'd better be a top prospect.

Jeff Driskel ain't getting it, sorry. This just proves people fall in love with physical attributes and don't notice or care about the finer points of playing the position.

(12-12-2018, 12:14 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Except the year he threw 20 ints...

One year out of eight...and lets be honest, 4 of those came in the last game, when Jay Gruden seemed to be pushing for stats. It was still an overall good year for Dalton. Eli Manning threw for OVER 20 int's several times. So did Favre. So have many QB's. I could create quite a list of names that have hit 20 int's before. Doesn't mean they're trash. Especially when they break franchise records for yards and TD's in the same year.

(12-12-2018, 01:46 PM)Wyche Wrote: Total BS?  They booed him when he eclipsed 20K yards at home, they verbally harassed his family at games, dumped trash on his lawn, I guess that was a love affair? Confused 

Revisionist history?

It definitely happened, but you're both sort of right. Palmer only dealt with that level of criticism for one year (2010) and he was ghost.

Dalton has dealt with that same level of criticism for 8 years.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 06:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: Can we at least win a start with him before deeming him the future?

Details....
Reply/Quote
Dalton is going to be our quarterback...

[Image: 9c5fecc2e5f9e1750813fae6ead047be.gif]
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2018, 08:45 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Oh, you're correct, because that's how this organization rolls. They (and most of the fan base) are willing to accept 8 years from a QB with zero playoff wins and 16 from a head coach. Next year will be year 9 without a playoff win from Dalton.

Right, becuase it's the QUARTERBACK that's been holding this team back. Rolleyes
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2018, 03:46 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Right, becuase it's the QUARTERBACK that's been holding this team back. Rolleyes

You know it  :andy:

All we need to do is draft a 1st round, 6'5" heisman trophy winning football god looking QB and.....oh wait.........
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2018, 03:53 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You know it  :andy:

All we need to do is draft a 1st round, 6'5" heisman trophy winning football god looking QB and.....oh wait.........

So I've been watching on the golf channel The American Century Celebrity Golf Tournament and Palmer is playing in it. Palmer now looks like a TE... Terrible swing also...
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2018, 03:53 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You know it  :andy:

You talking about that other QB that choked in prime time and playoff game, and then came within one game of the Super Bowl at 35 years of age with two bum knees, a busted finger, and nerve damage in his throwing shoulder after getting up with a good offensive coach?  He was a bum too. Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Dalton's whole problem is prime time and playoffs and if that were ever solved he'd be considered a very good QB around the league and with pretty much all Bengals fans. As it stands though he's played poorly in most prime time games and in every playoff game and like it or not there's not a infinite number of chances at the playoffs.

But I don't see any of that changing as long as Marvin is the HC and Mike Brown is running the show. Marv's teams are so unprepared for the playoffs that we could almost say it's been historically bad, and Marv's playoff record shows it.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2018, 04:19 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Dalton's whole problem is prime time and playoffs and if that were ever solved he'd be considered a very good QB around the league and with pretty much all Bengals fans. As it stands though he's played poorly in most prime time games and in every playoff game and like it or not there's not a infinite number of chances at the playoffs.

But I don't see any of that changing as long as Marvin is the HC and Mike Brown is running the show. Marv's teams are so unprepared for the playoffs that we could almost say it's been historically bad, and Marv's playoff record shows it.

That's the issue to me.....after watching Palmer blow up in the desert, it made me think it was all coaching/culture here.  Dalton has actually played well in Prime Time games lately, KC notwithstanding, and the stats verify it.  The whole deal with Carson and the way this team is outwitted against quality opponents, be it prime time games or playoff games gives me pause in putting blame squarely on any of our players.....really.  Hell, just this season, 14 was en fuego on prime time against Baltimore.  Andy has been inconsistent at times, and for that, criticism is warranted.  We've been shitty as a whole in games when the nation is watching.  When one little thing goes wrong, or there is a turnover, this team implodes.  How can that be with so many variations in the roster over 16 seasons if it doesn't have something to do with the coaching/culture?

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2018, 08:45 AM)Fullrock Wrote:  Next year will be year 9 without a playoff win from Dalton.

How many playoff wins did Ken Anderson have after 9 years in the NFL?
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2018, 04:28 PM)Wyche Wrote: That's the issue to me.....after watching Palmer blow up in the desert, it made me think it was all coaching/culture here. 

Palmer by the river '05...…..1st in passing tds...2nd in passer rating....4th in passing yards
Palmer in the desert '15......2nd in passing tds..3rd in passer rating.....4th in passing yards
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2018, 04:28 PM)Wyche Wrote: That's the issue to me.....after watching Palmer blow up in the desert, it made me think it was all coaching/culture here.  Dalton has actually played well in Prime Time games lately, KC notwithstanding, and the stats verify it.  The whole deal with Carson and the way this team is outwitted against quality opponents, be it prime time games or playoff games gives me pause in putting blame squarely on any of our players.....really.  Hell, just this season, 14 was en fuego on prime time against Baltimore.  Andy has been inconsistent at times, and for that, criticism is warranted.  We've been shitty as a whole in games when the nation is watching.  When one little thing goes wrong, or there is a turnover, this team implodes.  How can that be with so many variations in the roster over 16 seasons if it doesn't have something to do with the coaching/culture?

Yeah, prime time games are just a time of day thing. We could say big games or very important games. The loss to NO was a bad loss as was KC (blow outs), so was the game against Pittsburgh earlier this year and the Cleveland game. The Pittsburgh game was important because the Bengals were in 1st place and a win against the Steelers would have cemented that 1st place standing and moxy. For me the Cleveland game was also important because they (Cleveland) viewed themselves as moving up the ladder and that could have been shut down right there, only the Bengals were unprepared completely and it showed. Now the Bengals are in last place. First to last within a half season is a pretty big stumble.

Marv just can't get this team ready for important match ups.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2018, 04:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Palmer by the river '05...…..1st in passing tds...2nd in passer rating....4th in passing yards
Palmer in the desert '15......2nd in passing tds..3rd in passer rating.....4th in passing yards

.....but Palmer in the desert went to the NFCCG, and he was playing very well the year he went down with a knee injury in '14.  So individual aggregate stats aside, Palmer had more success in the desert.  Also, in '15 he had 4671 yds, 35 TDs, and a rating of 104.6 vs 3836 yds, 32 TDs, a rating of 101.1 in '05, and he was sacked 6 more times in AZ.  Aggregate stats don't tell the whole tale there......

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2018, 04:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How many playoff wins did Ken Anderson have after 9 years in the NFL?

Different era, of course. When Kenny Anderson got in the league only 4 teams per conference got a play off spot, then it was 5. Now it's 6. In Andy Dalton's era he'd have only played in 1 playoff game had it been by the old rules.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2018, 04:10 PM)Wyche Wrote: You talking about that other QB that choked in prime time and playoff game, and then came within one game of the Super Bowl at 35 years of age with two bum knees, a busted thumb, and nerve damage in his throwing shoulder after getting up with a good offensive coach?  He was a bum too. Ninja

Don't give me all that injury BS.  Palmer still had a cannon.

Palmer won ONE playoff game with the Cards and then followed that with a 4 pick masterpiece in the next game posting a lower passer rating (43.2) than he did in the playoffs against the Jets in '09 (58.3).  His career post season rating for the Bengals was 66.5 compared to 67.1 with the Cards.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2018, 04:39 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yeah, prime time games are just a time of day thing. We could say big games or very important games. The loss to NO was a bad loss as was KC (blow outs), so was the game against Pittsburgh earlier this year and the Cleveland game. The Pittsburgh game was important because the Bengals were in 1st place and a win against the Steelers would have cemented that 1st place standing and moxy. For me the Cleveland game was also important because they (Cleveland) viewed themselves as moving up the ladder and that could have been shut down right there, only the Bengals were unprepared completely and it showed. Now the Bengals are in last place. First to last within a half season is a pretty big stumble.

Marv just can't get this team ready for important match ups.

You are absolutely correct, the thing with the Prime Time games, you're usually facing a playoff caliber team most of the time....where we know we struggle.

I can't understand why we come out flat so much of the time.....and then look like we haven't even watched the tape of our opponents.  Then, other times, they come out and handle business.  We should have won Pittsburgh, should have scored on KC more, I can see getting smoked by NO, but Cleveland was an embarrassment.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2018, 04:42 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Different era, of course. When Kenny Anderson got in the league only 4 teams per conference got a play off spot, then it was 5. Now it's 6. In Andy Dalton's era he'd have only played in 1 playoff game had it been by the old rules.

So Dalton and Anderson would have had identical post season records of 0-1.  Is that what you are saying?
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2018, 04:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: You are absolutely correct, the thing with the Prime Time games, you're usually facing a playoff caliber team most of the time....where we know we struggle.

I can't understand why we come out flat so much of the time.....and then look like we haven't even watched the tape of our opponents.  Then, other times, they come out and handle business.  We should have won Pittsburgh, should have scored on KC more, I can see getting smoked by NO, but Cleveland was an embarrassment.

Yeah, it's almost like the top tiered teams show up knowing exactly what the Bengals are going to do and their ready for it, and Bengals seem like they've never seen anything the other team is doing before. I don't know why that is.

Reply/Quote