Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Driskel should be starter next year
(12-11-2018, 07:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There are a lot of things that can be said in criticism of Dalton, but this is not one of them.

Since 2011 when Dalton entered the league only 10 QBs have posted a single season rating higher than Dalton's 106.2 in 2015.

And only 6 active QBs have more games (min. 20 attempts) with a 125+ rating than Dalton's 14.

Dalton has a high ceiling.
This

(12-11-2018, 07:24 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Andy Dalton is also 45-1-2 when the Bengals score 25+ points.

Andy Dalton also ranks 17th in 4th quarter comebacks all time. Among starters, he ranks 7th. No one drafted after 2009 has as many or more than Dalton. And only two players ahead of Dalton were drafted after 2004. And Dalton came into the league in 2011.

Dalton has more 4th quarter comebacks than: Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson, Cam Newton, Alex Smith, and Joe Flacco.

Andy Dalton is also the quickest player to reach 20 fourth quarter comebacks in less than 7 seasons. No one else has come close.

And this

Dalton is not a perfect quarterback, but I believe he is grossly underrated.

Protect him and he can tear you apart.  He hasn't had protection in years.  And his protection has fluctuated over the years.

Tom Brady also folds under consistent pressure.  Dalton is no Brady, but he's a very good QB

That said I really like the upside on Driskel and look forward to seeing how he grows.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton isn't Drew Bledsoe and Jeff Driskel certainly isn't Tom Brady.

Here's the thing: If people want to move on from Andy Dalton, fine, I respect this view even though I don't agree with it. If you're going to say bye to Dalton, why turn to Jeff Driskel? He's terrible! Instead, draft or trade for a known quantity: A quarterback with a proven record.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 04:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Driskel has talent and maybe used right he could be a top tier QB, but Mixon had a lot to do with scoring those points.

Same with Bullock. I am all for starting the best players, always have been, if Driskel is the best QB next year so be it.

But he is going to have a hard time beating out Dalton regardless who was playing his best season this year before the injury.

Dalton’s play had dropped off weeks before the injury.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 06:48 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: PFF actually did numbers on this category. 

Dalton was tied first with Brady and Rodgers for actual interceptions (deflections, batted balls or dropped aren't taken into consideration) with 6.

My biggest hit with Dalton is the lack of risk, but this man has always done a relatively good job at keeping the ball safe. 

Except the year he threw 20 ints...

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 07:02 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: This has been going on since the dawn of time. It's frustrating. Did it with AJM. He's on the bench behind a horrific Oakland team and couldn't even start in Buffalo.

They did it with Palmer.

I'm so sick of arguing with people. I swear this fan base might be more aggravatingng than most opposing ones. 

Total bs. Nobody wanted any of Palmer’s backups to start over him.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 12:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dalton’s play had dropped off weeks before the injury.

Didn't we start 8-0 that year and finish 4-4? Not that it's on Dalton, but we peaked too early.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 12:22 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Didn't we start 8-0 that year and finish 4-4? Not that it's on Dalton, but we peaked too early.

I thought Nate was talking about this season?

Reply/Quote
Can’t understand why majority of people are so down on Driskel.I see a lot of upside in this guy.Those last 2 games,we should have won.Broncos,7-3 at the half.Lost AJ early in the game,but had Lazor given Driskel the run option in that game, I think we would have had a better chance.This forces the opposing defense to make adjustments,and gives you another weapon.Also in the 26-21 loss to the Chargers,should have won.Tack on the extra 4 points of the rushing touchdown that Driskel was robbed of,and convert one of the 2 point conversions,and you win 27-26.Coaching was terrible.For instance,fourth down,and a few inches,and you have here a powerful athletic Quarterback,you only need a few inches,why not Quarterback sneak???
Reply/Quote
Driskel was pretty good and CAN start for the bengals....however, Kirk Cousins is 4 - 24 against winning teams.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 11:35 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Driskel was pretty good and CAN start for the bengals....however, Kirk Cousins is 4 - 24 against winning teams.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 10:46 AM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Can’t understand why majority of people are so down on Driskel.I see a lot of upside in this guy.Those last 2 games,we should have won.Broncos,7-3 at the half.Lost AJ early in the game,but had Lazor given Driskel the run option in that game, I think we would have had a better chance.This forces the opposing defense to make adjustments,and gives you another weapon.Also in the 26-21 loss to the Chargers,should have won.Tack on the extra 4 points of the rushing touchdown that Driskel was robbed of,and convert one of the 2 point conversions,and you win 27-26.Coaching was terrible.For instance,fourth down,and a few inches,and you have here a powerful athletic Quarterback,you only need a few inches,why not Quarterback sneak???

I laid it out in this thread already he wasn't really good against the Chargers, he was simply serviceable. On drives we scored is was setup by good field position and Mixon. His biggest contribution on a scoring drive I think was three completions for 30ish yards. People really haven't wanted to acknowledge that against the chargers we ran more often and better than we have all season and played defensively one of our better games after the first quarter. 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 06:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And I've seen folks in this very thread who are belittling Jeff's performance make excuses for far worse games from a much more seasoned QB.

I suppose the hypocrisy is in the eye of the beholder.

Andy Dalton had similar numbers as Jeff's in his 2nd ever start and I don't recall anyone looking for "reasons" to downplay it. Hell personally I was stoked

.....and had Joe Mixon been around to accumulate 138 yards and a TD out of 314 yards and 2 TDs total, and Randy Bullock to kick 3 FGs, I would have given them their due as well. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 06:56 PM)Go Cards Wrote: But for those that say Dalton is not tradable ? Disagree with that as well, somebody will quickly make move. Not certain that is in our best interest unless we are blowing it up and starting over. Think we are closer to becoming good again than that, even as bad as we have looked. 

What I would do is draft a back up QB in 4th or 5th round with potential of becoming good or grab a solid back up in FA. 

Start Dalton and use Driskell like the Saints use Taysom Hill in a "do it all role". Driskell is a way better athlete than Hill and could become a really nice extra weapon immediately. 

Why choose ? Use all our weapons instead and go for the gold for once in our lifetime. 

I like a lot of this Cards....dare I say, Touchdown Teddy?  Now there's a legit QB competition.  

I would love to see Driskel out there more like Hill or Lamar Jackson.  It only makes the offense more unpredictable.  I like Jeff Driskel, and have been noted to wonder aloud why he was 3rd string under AJM.  It never made any sense to me.  Much more upside, and better athlete. 

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 07:02 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: This has been going on since the dawn of time. It's frustrating. Did it with AJM. He's on the bench behind a horrific Oakland team and couldn't even start in Buffalo.

They did it with Palmer. 

I'm so sick of arguing with people. I swear this fan base might be more aggravatingng than most opposing ones. 

.....and Kenny Anderson, and Boomer.....lol.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 12:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dalton’s play had dropped off weeks before the injury.

you mean the weeks without some of our top offensive weapons.. .yeah that happens
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2018, 07:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There are a lot of things that can be said in criticism of Dalton, but this is not one of them.

Since 2011 when Dalton entered the league only 10 QBs have posted a single season rating higher than Dalton's 106.2 in 2015.

And only 6 active QBs have more games (min. 20 attempts) with a 125+ rating than Dalton's 14.

Dalton has a high ceiling.

Exactly.....it's been the wild swings of inconsistency in the past that are the issue.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 01:36 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: you mean the weeks without some of our top offensive weapons.. .yeah that happens

Or when the schedule got harder and we started playing really good teams...

Reply/Quote
To the guy who said Driskel is a better athlete than Hill....that is false. Hill ran a 4.4 40 and had 38.5 vertical at 235. He is a an athletic specimen, which is why he is special at pretty much everything he does lol.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 12:16 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Total bs. Nobody wanted any of Palmer’s backups to start over him.

Total BS?  They booed him when he eclipsed 20K yards at home, they verbally harassed his family at games, dumped trash on his lawn, I guess that was a love affair? Confused 

Revisionist history?

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2018, 01:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Or when the schedule got harder and we started playing really good teams...

Dude, we dropped 30 plus on a top 5 defense on TNF. Mellow

Reply/Quote