Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duke Tobin "There's One Pie"
Duke Tobin was asked directly on the situation of Tee Higgins.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2024/01/31/bengals-duke-tobin-tee-higgins-franchise-tag-rumors-speculation/

Quote:The Cincinnati Bengals have a tough call to make with wide receiver Tee Higgins this offseason.

Higgins, slated to be a free agent, is an obvious franchise tag candidate after player and team couldn’t agree to a long-term extension last offseason.

And while it’s easy to dismiss the whole situation as an obvious tag-and-forget situation, Bengals director of player personnel Duke Tobin isn’t exactly ready to confirm that it will happen.

Here’s what Tobin told Kelsey Conway of the Cincinnati Enquirer on that topic during an interview at the Senior Bowl:

He’s not under contract now so we’re going to have to work through how to do that and if it’s possible and we’ll have to go through the gymnastics of that. So it’s a different scenario than it was last year. Trading a high-level player that’s under contract just because the future might demand it, that’s never really on my mind. We’ll see what happens this year. I want Tee Higgins back. Everyone on our team would like to have Tee Higgins back. Again, there’s one pie and how big of a slice that takes and what else we can’t do because of it, we’ll have to determine, and we’ll see.

The vague reply isn’t a shocker from Tobin, who outside of his “get your own” comments about Higgins last year in response to illogical trade rumors, usually keeps a lid on things.

Cincinnati can place a tag on Higgins from February 5 to March 20, which will cost the team roughly $21.7 million of its ample cap space. Otherwise, he’ll head to free agency.

Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow has commented that he discussed the long-term plan with the team before signing his own major extension, which presumably includes plans for Higgins. Beyond the price tag though, Tobin and Co. will have to look at factors such as Higgins’ injury history and the fact they drafted multiple receivers last year, among others.

If the Bengals do tag Higgins, it’s extremely doubtful they do a tag-and-trade scenario.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
How much will the salary cap increase this year? I would love to have Higgins but don't want to cripple the rest of the franchise. Like Duke says, they has to take into consideration the things they won't be able to do.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 02:48 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: How much will the salary cap increase this year? I would love to have Higgins but don't want to cripple the rest of the franchise. Like Duke says, they has to take into consideration the things they won't be able to do.

It hasn't been set yet, but they are guessing it could exceed $240 million this year up from $224.8 million for the 2023 season.

https://www.nfl.com/news/salary-cap-expected-to-exceed-240-million-for-2024-season

Quote:But people familiar with the matter say surging revenue and diminishing aftershocks of the 2020 pandemic are on track to yield significant cap growth over the next several years, with a 2024 cap likely to land north of $240 million and additional revenue rolling into future caps.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
This was an interesting quote..

Quote:Trading a high-level player that’s under contract just because the future might demand it, that’s never really on my mind.

So do they consider the Franchise Tag a contract and thus he won't be traded, or is he more likely to be traded now that he isn't under contract? A player not under contract would be a free agent and wouldn't be traded anyway so what does that mean.... and what are you trying to prove or what system are you fighting not trading a player that the future demands should be traded?

The "future demanded" Tee to be traded given they weren't going to be able to extend him and his value was as high as it would ever be and the picks could have helped the Bengals in the long term..... I think the "future" was right and probably should have been listened to. But he's proud to buck the "future", for whatever that is worth. I don't think he "owned" the "future" like he thinks he must have. The "future" looks even wiser if they don't even Franchise Tag him. Hope that 3rd round comp is worth it. They may not even get that if they sign FA's this offseason.

I find this statement odd.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
This shouldn't be surprising.
Higgins is likely going to get (way) more on the open market than what the Bengals are going to (be willing to) pay.
We have to accept that sometimes the team will need to let some good players go and hold them accountable if they aren't hitting on their early draft picks.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 03:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This shouldn't be surprising.
Higgins is likely going to get (way) more on the open market than what the Bengals are going to (be willing to) pay.
We have to accept that sometimes the team will need to let some good players go and hold them accountable if they aren't hitting on their early draft picks.

I think it’s simple. If Tee is reasonable the FO will make it happen. If he doesn’t then it’s bye bye. He’s not Chase level. He’s not Justin Jefferson or Tyreek level. He’s barely a top 10 receiver if that. Now a lot of the 6-15 are all about the same.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 03:14 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think it’s simple. If Tee is reasonable the FO will make it happen. If he doesn’t then it’s bye bye. He’s not Chase level. He’s not Justin Jefferson or Tyreek level. He’s barely a top 10 receiver if that. Now a lot of the 6-15 are all about the same.

I don't see how they can rightfully offer more than they did last offseason given his season. And I doubt his agent will allow for him to take less. Tee and his Agent gambled and loss. I like Tee and love the "big 3" talk and relationship as we all do, but Bengals probably had the best offer to him last offseason. He didn't do enough to make them come back to the table with more money. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

Some NFL Teams may see Hiigins as a WR #1 and be willing to pay #1 money.

TEE is a #2 in Cincy and his stats are likely being held down in a #2 role versus a #1 role. (see CeeDee Lamb)

Should the Bengals pay #1 money for a #2 role ?

A #2 role may be easier to fill with a rookie since more rookies can provide #2 stats to a Team than can provide #1 stats.
Reply/Quote

Burrow won't be surprised either. He'll understand he got a big slice of pie and that the business means he'll potentially lose Tee.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 03:14 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think it’s simple. If Tee is reasonable the FO will make it happen. If he doesn’t then it’s bye bye. He’s not Chase level. He’s not Justin Jefferson or Tyreek level. He’s barely a top 10 receiver if that. Now a lot of the 6-15 are all about the same.

I could see a team giving Higgins $20-25 mill APY.
He's better than Brandin Cooks, who is making $19.9 mill APY.
Also better than Diontae Johnson, who is making $18.3 mill APY.

Would the Bengals be willing to pay Higgins $20+ mill APY for Higgins while also inevitably going to pay Chase $30+ mill APY and also paying Burrow's premium?

I will say this...if they do pay Higgins along with also Chase, expect A LOT less to be spent on OL after this group of OL have their contracts ending in the next couple years.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 02:48 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: How much will the salary cap increase this year? I would love to have Higgins but don't want to cripple the rest of the franchise. Like Duke says, they has to take into consideration the things they won't be able to do.

i believe we have mostly expected it would be hard to keep all 3 in Burrow Higgins and Chase  (without suffering elsewhere)
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 03:22 PM)depthchart Wrote: Should the Bengals pay #1 money for a #2 role ?

No. We shouldn’t. I’m a Tee fan but this is one reason why we broke the bank on Burrow - one#1 WR “should be” plenty.

Moreover, we have other desperate needs like all the holes in D.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 04:42 PM)Whacked Wrote: No. We shouldn’t. I’m a Tee fan but this is one reason why we broke the bank on Burrow - one#1 WR “should be” plenty.

Moreover, we have other desperate needs like all the holes in D.

Watching what Green Bay has done Drafting wide receivers recently makes me think that TEE and his stats could be replaced.

Add to that how Tom Brady made certain so called lesser receivers look good makes me expect the same from Burrow.

TEE brings a COOL to watch factor that is hard to let go of but I think his 1,050 or so yard seasons could be replaced by a less COOL WR.
Reply/Quote

Especially with the contract Burrow has, it is a risk teams take when they invest big in their star QB, hopefully we can hit on draft picks, resign a few of our best players, play the FA market correct...
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 05:11 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Especially with the contract Burrow has, it is a risk teams take when they invest big in their star QB, hopefully we can hit on draft picks, resign a few of our best players, play the FA market correct...

I did look at the year-by-year cap numbers to see how much Burrow would impact, and it's not very high these next few years.

Cap hit by year for Burrow:
2024 - $29.7 mill
2025 - $46.2 mill
2026 - $48.2 mill

It isn't until 2027 where Burrow's cap hit goes above $50 mill, culminating in $68 mill cap hit in 2029, Burrow's final year under contract.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 04:50 PM)depthchart Wrote: Watching what Green Bay has done Drafting wide receivers recently makes me think that TEE and his stats could be replaced.

Add to that how Tom Brady made certain so called lesser receivers look good makes me expect the same from Burrow.

TEE brings a COOL to watch factor that is hard to let go of but I think his 1,050 or so yard seasons could be replaced by a less COOL WR.

Hell the Bengals brought in Brandon LaFell in 2016 and he ended up with almost 900 yards and 6td...
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 03:30 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Burrow won't be surprised either. He'll understand he got a big slice of pie and that the business means he'll potentially lose Tee.

You're right. Burrow can't complain if they lose Higgins, given he took a big chunk of the pie.
Reply/Quote
I don't mind paying for truly elite players. We have four in my view: Burrow, Chase, Hendrickson, & Reader.

Burrow has one more year at below market value before the extension kicks in, Chase has two. Hendrickson is well compensated. Reader should be as well.

When Burrow & Chase & Tee were all on rookie deals, we could afford to pay more for good/not great FA's and to extend our own guys on 2nd contracts. Brown, Cappa, Karras, Chido, Hilton, and the departed Bell were/are all quality players. Ditto Hurst. Mixon, Boyd, Hubbard, BJ Hill, Pratt, & Wilson all got extended once. Bates & Bell walked.

But we cannot keep paying $10 mil for a smidge above average guys. Or, rather, we can do it far less often. We need some production from guys on rookie deals instead. CTB & Battle are the only guys in that category right now. ADG, C. Sample, & Ossai are fine. We need Murphy, Turner, Dax Hill, Yoshi, & Chuck Sizzle to join them.

I put Jonah firmly in that category. Time to move on. He ain't worth $15 mil. A cheaper bridge FA (Tyrod Smith, Fant) + a rook RT in Rd1 seem like a good idea. If you could guarantee me Fuaga, I could skip the bridge. But stupidly beating the Browns cost us 4 spots, 8 by the 2nd.

For me, Reader & Tee are our 4th & 5th best players. Keep them and go from there.

We need dome good vets. Chido & Boyd have excellent seasons in their Bengals past. But I am not sure they are worth it going forward. I'd be more inclined to pay Chido. Less depth behind him and younger.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 04:50 PM)depthchart Wrote: Watching what Green Bay has done Drafting wide receivers recently makes me think that TEE and his stats could be replaced.

This is true, but the team could draft a guy like Brian Thomas who's tall, long and fast, and it could be an almost seamless transition.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 05:43 PM)lacesout87 Wrote: Hell the Bengals brought in Brandon LaFell in 2016 and he ended up with almost 900 yards and 6td...

The only pause I have in losing TEE is the Super Bowl run this year.

Exactly Who would replace TEE in 2024 if he is not brought back ?

If they make him play under the Tag in 2024 (then let him leave after) would that be better for a 2024 Super Bowl run than

trying to replace TEE now in 2024 ?    

I think a longer term replacement could be planned for say by 2025 but they could mess up a 2024 Super Bowl run if TEE

does not return and the Offense suffers due to a poor replacement or loss of Chemistry.
Reply/Quote