Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Duke Tobin on draft
(04-20-2023, 07:19 PM)tms Wrote: Oh don't get me wrong- I agree it's (waaaay) too early to write him off. But can't deny he's had virtually zero impact to date... to the point that I've seen safeties commonly mocked to the Bengals to "play alongside Nick Scott." As far as the league is concerned he almost doesn't exist. 

I get the reasons, and some of them are valid, but I can't imagine that was the plan. We heard a lot about three-safety looks (that never materialized) or how he would displace Hilton/Flowers on TE coverages (never really happened either). He was the fourth most valuable member of the draft class behind Volson, CTB and Carter, and ahead of two Day 3s who either didn't play much (Gunter) or play at all (Tycen). If this is a guy who we really wanted and were thrilled to get in Round 1, he's off to a rocky start.  

Seriously you have heard people just acting like Daxton Hill isn't in the building? That seems far fetched or complete bias against Dax...

I like Nick Scott because Lou likes Nick Scott, with Dax I have liked him since before we drafted him and honestly thought he would of 
been taken ahead of our pick similar to Tee Higgins. Dax can tackle well, can cover well, has great instincts and is as versatile of a player
in the secondary as you could get. He didn't get many chances last year as we were a top team with 2 top Safeties in front of him and 
vets all across the board and most of the guys in front of him besides Chido stayed healthy.

We saw a touch of what Dax can do in the Playoff game against the Bills matched up in the red zone against Dawson Knox. Fantastic 
pass breakup in the biggest of moments. He is THAT type of player and expect to see tons of plays like that from him this year.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 04:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Seriously you have heard people just acting like Daxton Hill isn't in the building? That seems far fetched or complete bias against Dax...

I like Nick Scott because Lou likes Nick Scott, with Dax I have liked him since before we drafted him and honestly thought he would of 
been taken ahead of our pick similar to Tee Higgins. Dax can tackle well, can cover well, has great instincts and is as versatile of a player
in the secondary as you could get. He didn't get many chances last year as we were a top team with 2 top Safeties in front of him and 
vets all across the board and most of the guys in front of him besides Chido stayed healthy.

We saw a touch of what Dax can do in the Playoff game against the Bills matched up in the red zone against Dawson Knox. Fantastic 
pass breakup in the biggest of moments. He is THAT type of player and expect to see tons of plays like that from him this year.

Most defenses take a year for new players to pick up... Which is typically why you draft for the future more than plug and play. so they have time to learn 
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 04:40 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Most defenses take a year for new players to pick up... Which is typically why you draft for the future more than plug and play. so they have time to learn 

Yeah, that's why I went to bed kicking and screaming over the team allowing both Bates and Bell to walk on down the road.  At the moment I was all in on drafting Safety in the 1st, then I thought about Hill getting acclimated last year, and being ready to step up this year.  The addition of Scott also eased my concerns, as his traits fit a very specific role that they are likely asking him to fill.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 05:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, that's why I went to bed kicking and screaming over the team allowing both Bates and Bell to walk on down the road.  At the moment I was all in on drafting Safety in the 1st, then I thought about Hill getting acclimated last year, and being ready to step up this year.  The addition of Scott also eased my concerns, as his traits fit a very specific role that they are likely asking him to fill.

I believe some may be underestimating Tycen Anderson as well. Lou was really high on the selection of Anderson. The injury of course set him back a bit but you are talking about a kid that is 6'2" and weighed in at 209 at the combine and posted a sub 4.4 40 time and has a had a full season now to work with Lou and to see what this defense is about. 

I think the back of this defense is in better shape than many are considering it.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 05:35 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I believe some may be underestimating Tycen Anderson as well. Lou was really high on the selection of Anderson. The injury of course set him back a bit but you are talking about a kid that is 6'2" and weighed in at 209 at the combine and posted a sub 4.4 40 time and has a had a full season now to work with Lou and to see what this defense is about. 

I think the back of this defense is in better shape than many are considering it.

Yep, that Tycen Anderson preseason film last year was impressive. Looks smart too like the NFL game isn't too big for him.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 05:35 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I believe some may be underestimating Tycen Anderson as well. Lou was really high on the selection of Anderson. The injury of course set him back a bit but you are talking about a kid that is 6'2" and weighed in at 209 at the combine and posted a sub 4.4 40 time and has a had a full season now to work with Lou and to see what this defense is about. 

I too was excited about Anderson, when we drafted him.  Now, the odds are really against him becoming a regular in the league.  Late round, non-power 5 prospect who lost basically an entire year of physical development to injury.  I'm not saying that he can't take up where he left off, and I'm certainly pulling for him to do so, but I also feel like the chances of him blending right in as a second year player are less than what they might have been.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 05:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I too was excited about Anderson, when we drafted him.  Now, the odds are really against him becoming a regular in the league.  Late round, non-power 5 prospect who lost basically an entire year of physical development to injury.  I'm not saying that he can't take up where he left off, and I'm certainly pulling for him to do so, but I also feel like the chances of him blending right in as a second year player are less than what they might have been.

I am not sure he missed out on the physical development part as he had a hamstring injury. I believe it was just a creative way to protect him from being claimed off of the practice squad by another team. He received the designation for return but did not within the 4 week window so he was still on the 90 man but just could not be returned to the 53. I would guess that he was working and practicing regularly with the team after the designation.
Reply/Quote

I doubt we see much of Tycen on defense unless there is an injury.  He missed all of last year and was not a great in coverage vs Mac offenses.  He probably needs another year of being healthy and learning safety.   I can see him being a dog on special teams.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 08:48 AM)Garrus Wrote: If Banks or Forbes are there at 28 we will take one of them imo. Unless someone crazy falls like Wright.

A fast, tall, ball hawk CB is a big need starting 2024 or to backup this season. I can see #28 on a CB if the right guy is around, if not try again at #60. Chances are they aren’t drafting a 2023 starter at #28 or #60, it’s for 2024. They have enough holes in 2024 that BPA is guaranteed to also be a position of need.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2023, 01:06 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: A fast, tall, ball hawk CB is a big need starting 2024 or to backup this season. I can see #28 on a CB if the right guy is around, if not try again at #60. Chances are they aren’t drafting a 2023 starter at #28 or #60, it’s for 2024. They have enough holes in 2024 that BPA is guaranteed to also be a position of need.

The closer to the Draft I think Emmanuel Forbes is the pick at 28...

He needs to put on some weight but if it wasn't for that he would be a top 15 pick. We have already met with him as well.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 05:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The closer to the Draft I think Emmanuel Forbes is the pick at 28...

He needs to put on some weight but if it wasn't for that he would be a top 15 pick. We have already met with him as well.

Funny, I was bored today and using the mock simulators along with reading some articles and concluded Forbes is the pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 06:24 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Funny, I was bored today and using the mock simulators along with reading some articles and concluded Forbes is the pick.

Yes, I find it to be the most likely. I know Chido is saying he will be ready for the opener but taking a talented Corner early is never a 
bad move and you couldn't get a more talented one with great instincts and skills than Forbes. Just makes sense. I think the coaches 
like Carman at RT, just a hunch, but that is what I think. DT also should be a thought early with both Reader and Tupou on the last 
year of their contracts. Keeanu Benton or Ika are guys I am looking at in the 2nd round.

Then we can start looking at RB's and TE's following, this is the way I think we will go and it isn't a bad idea to stock up the Defense.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 05:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The closer to the Draft I think Emmanuel Forbes is the pick at 28...

Weight doesn’t bother me if he has the frame to add an extra 20 lbs over the next 12 months. He probably can do that. Bengals can wait on him, most of the CB needy teams need him starting now so he could fall to the end of rnd 1.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 05:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The closer to the Draft I think Emmanuel Forbes is the pick at 28...

I would agree with this... a sneaky choice though might be Kelee Ringo. 

Ringo is a big long versatile corner that plays physical. He is one of if not the best run defending corner in the draft class. Lou loves corners that are good in run support. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

Likely because he was a 5th rounder and we haven't seen him play really at all.
He also wasn't a guy that got many turnovers in college (2 INTs in 5 seasons, both in his first 2 seasons), and he played in the MAC.
I think he's a perfect backup SS who might develop into a starter in 2-3 years.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 04:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Seriously you have heard people just acting like Daxton Hill isn't in the building? That seems far fetched or complete bias against Dax...

We are basically getting two first round picks to contribute this year. Dax...and then whoever we take at 28. It's insane but our saftey group has the potential to be better this year than last. More athletic, better playmaking, etc. Communication and insticts remain to be seen. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 09:27 AM)Synric Wrote: I would agree with this... a sneaky choice though might be Kelee Ringo. 

Ringo is a big long versatile corner that plays physical. He is one of if not the best run defending corner in the draft class. Lou loves corners that are good in run support. 

But Ringo is not a good cover corner and got exposed alot last year. I need a a guy than can cover.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 10:47 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We are basically getting two first round picks to contribute this year. Dax...and then whoever we take at 28. It's insane but our saftey group has the potential to be better this year than last. More athletic, better playmaking, etc. Communication and insticts remain to be seen. 

I would agree with this. losing some savvy ability and anticipation but lots of talent with the new guys. Just need reps.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 11:23 AM)higgy100 Wrote: But Ringo is not a good cover corner and got exposed alot last year. I need a a guy than can cover.

Yes Ringo had a bad game against Ohio State and Marvin Harrison jr but he bounced back against Quentin Johnston only allowing 1 catch for 3 yards. Ringo year one you probably want him in a cover 3 defense. The Bengals have met with Ringo twice so far this off-season. 

Edit: Cam Smith is starting to get 1st round buzz again headed into draft week. He is one of my favorite fits for the Bengals defense.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 10:47 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We are basically getting two first round picks to contribute this year. Dax...and then whoever we take at 28. It's insane but our saftey group has the potential to be better this year than last. More athletic, better playmaking, etc. Communication and insticts remain to be seen. 

While that's technically true, in order for it to not be a net loss Dax would have to be better than Bates. 
Reply/Quote